New TL or RL?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 01:11 PM
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
New TL or RL?

I'm thinking of buying my wife a new Acura and I'm not too sure what I should get.

My good friend keeps telling me that the RL is five times better than the TL but I'm not convinced.

I'm thinking of getting the TL advance over the base model RL.

I think theyr'e about the same price, what do you guys think?
Old 12-02-2011, 02:30 PM
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 20 Posts
If you're truly asking for opinion.. here's mine. Don't get the RL, search around and you'll see the reason. I see no point in getting another TL either, you're already have 1. My suggestion would be the MDX if you want to stick with Acura. It's kinda nice to have a big car in the house for long ride or travel. Are you going to buy a new or used one?
Old 12-02-2011, 02:44 PM
Pro

Brand new this run!

How about the ZDX? That thing looks pimp!
Old 12-02-2011, 03:10 PM
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 20 Posts
yeah if you like the styling, I personally don't like it but that's just me.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:36 PM
Love Guru

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by EazyRider562
Brand new this run!

How about the ZDX? That thing looks pimp!
Awesome driver's car, but the rear seat passenger will be cursing you through out the drive. Especially if the rear seat passenger are grown ups. I am 5.8, yeah a shorty and no chance of growing up anymore, and my head touches the roof int he back if I sit properly.... I will say, between RL and TL, go TL. I think RL is grown old now. TL looks fresh, new and advance, RL... not so much.

I will recommend that you and your wife should test drive them both before deciding. Here on AZ, or on any online forum or discussion board, you will get many different opinions, suggestions and recommendations. Some good, some bad, some neither. But ultimately, you are the one spending money and will be driving the car. So, I will say, you should pay the Acura dealership a visit.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:53 PM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
I'm thinking of buying my wife a new Acura and I'm not too sure what I should get.

My good friend keeps telling me that the RL is five times better than the TL but I'm not convinced.

I'm thinking of getting the TL advance over the base model RL.

I think theyr'e about the same price, what do you guys think?
from a female-take your wife to the acura dealer, and let her decide which car she would like. She will be the one driving it. I test drove and decided which acura I wanted-Hubby came along for the ride.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:57 PM
Mitch-S

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
My wife has an MDX and it's a perfect family car if you have kids. 7 seater and plenty of space. My only gripe is the MPG.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:12 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
Originally Posted by nj2pa2nc
from a female-take your wife to the acura dealer, and let her decide which car she would like. She will be the one driving it. I test drove and decided which acura I wanted-Hubby came along for the ride.
If it's going to be the wife's car, just let her decide. Doesn't have to be an Acura.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:44 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Aman
If it's going to be the wife's car, just let her decide. Doesn't have to be an Acura.

I'm the male, arent we supposed to decide everything? Especially when I'm the bread winner. My wife stays home and hangs out with the kids and dog all day for christ's sake.

AKA I make the decision what car we get.

Makes sense right?
Old 12-02-2011, 04:50 PM
it's a car-drive it

I'm the male, arent we supposed to decide everything? Especially when I'm the bread winner. My wife stays home and hangs out with the kids and dog all day for christ's sake.

Makes sense right?
only to you-who does the housecleaning, laundry, cooking, etc while your wife hangs out with the kids and dog all day and you are working.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:00 PM
Pro

only to you-who does the housecleaning, laundry, cooking, etc while your wife hangs out with the kids and dog all day and you are working.

I'd gladly play Mr. Mom but in this day in age, the male is supposed to be at work bringing home the dough, the wife is home making sure my dinner is nice and warm (and tasty) when I get home. Believe me, she knows where she stands and its well understood and actually embraced believe it or not.

Agreed?
Old 12-02-2011, 05:29 PM
it's a car-drive it

I'd gladly play Mr. Mom but in this day in age, the male is supposed to be at work bringing home the dough, the wife is home making sure my dinner is nice and warm (and tasty) when I get home. Believe me, she knows where she stands and its well understood and actually embraced believe it or not.

Agreed?
i was lucky to be a stay-at-home mom while my kids were growingup-I started to work parttime when they were in school and then fulltime when they were older. I still got to choose the car I wanted and other things we made a joint decision. Been married almost 34 years. Beside the usual household chores I also mowed and still do the lawn (not on a tractor)Still would be nice if you included her in the car buying decision..

Last edited by nj2pa2nc; 12-02-2011 at 05:33 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by nj2pa2nc:
Acura_Dude (12-02-2011), Rick_TL-S (12-03-2011)
Old 12-02-2011, 05:33 PM
Pro

i was lucky to be a stay-at-home mom while my kids were growingup-I started to work parttime when they were in school and then fulltime when they were older. I still got to choose the car I wanted and other things we made a joint decision. Been married almost 34 years.
You're a rarity!
Old 12-02-2011, 05:44 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
i was lucky to be a stay-at-home mom while my kids were growingup-I started to work parttime when they were in school and then fulltime when they were older. I still got to choose the car I wanted and other things we made a joint decision. Been married almost 34 years. Beside the usual household chores I also mowed and still do the lawn (not on a tractor)Still would be nice if you included her in the car buying decision..
my mom did this with me. she stayed at home with me until i like 3-4 then she wentback to work while i went off to day care and eventually school. former latch key kid here! and my mom got to pick which car's she wanted. hmm...a mustang, a firebird, a celica...those are the ones i can remember growing up until they weren't together anymore.

anyway, OP, i say include your wife in the decision process since she'll be the one driving it. you mentioned kids, dogs, stay at home mom...MDX. the MDX has all of the ability to be safe, roomy, and can handle dogs when they need to be tranposrted anywhere. the ZDX while not my flavor, the cargo and passanger space is ridiculously small. your wife may not be a "car person", but you can lean her in a direction of bias for the future car that you both can enjoy. test drive a few cars, TL, RL, MDX, ZDX or other brands of choice. decide together what would be best for the family's needs.

and yes you are the bread winner...your wife still needs to be happy! just sayin'
Old 12-02-2011, 05:46 PM
Mitch-S

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
EazyRider, I hope your wife doesn't go on acurazine. haha

Anyways, my wife defers to me with the car stuff. So I proposed getting a van. She immediately shot it down and said she wants an MDX. haha
The following users liked this post:
Acura_Dude (12-02-2011)
Old 12-02-2011, 05:49 PM
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
I have to purchase a Honda or Acura, no question. I have driven all of them. My recent purchase was a 2012 TL Advance, not the RL. I will say that my favorite Acura models are the TL Advance and TSX Sport Wagon. For a "family ride", I actually recommend the Honda Odyssey Touring.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:14 PM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
EazyRider, take it from someone who's young an watched BOTH parents work hard. Just because your wife is a stay at home mom DOESNT mean she doesn't work just as hard as you. I have a 2 month old girl and kids are a lot to handle on top of school and work, etc. Show her how much you appreciate her, by letting HER pick something OR HELP pick something she'd like to drive, whether she settles down on an MDX or Honda Odyssey. I'd be pissed if i had to drive something everyday that i didn't like, especially everything i do around the house. In this day an age the whole man being the breadwinner attitude, and he'll do what he want is being shot down a lot. I'm not married, but when the time comes i'd want an EQUAL 50/50 deal with ALL decisions including, the kids, finances, cars, etc decided between US as a TEAM. Some of the best marriages that last, are because of the couples working as a team. So whether i end up being a stay-at-home dad or if it's the other way around, i'd still like it to be 50/50.

And if you keep making ALL the decisions your next one WILL be finding the RIGHT lawyer. Child support is expensive and so is alimony, PLUS dividing up everything. My 'rents stayed together till I was 16. That's when I found out how lazy/selfish Pops was and he made the money, but STILL Moms came to the rescue, paid majority of the bills, and cleaned, cooked, and did all household activities. She still does it to this day and as for Dad, he married the woman he had an affair with and HE DOES everything because the new wife is super lazy and now he feels what my Mom had to go through when I was a teen, but he is STILL a hardworker. HE also wanted the divorce.

Enough about me, but definitely show your wife how much you appreciate her INSTEAD of choosing things (im assuming) for her or one day you'll only have to worry about yourself and thats no bueno dude. Definitely not coming down on you, but you have the wrong attitude towards money/decision making. It's a lot easier to work together than not too. Trust me your hand will get tired of taking car of you. So treat the misses right and she'll treat you right.

Last edited by Acura_Dude; 12-02-2011 at 06:19 PM.
nj2pa2nc (12-02-2011)
Old 12-02-2011, 08:48 PM
Love Guru

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts
Like most of EazyRider's other post, I see this one being locked pretty soon. No offense to you Eazy, I am just saying what I have noticed. Your topics usually starts with a simple question and then couple of other people jump in, it becomes a fish market (I think thats what I should order for dinner, I am hungry), Mod comes in warns, and then locks the room... Am I wrong?!

Besides that, the comment you made in topic # 9, lets hope none of the moderators are female, or you will be banned for life....

Also, you dont live in 1960s do you???
Old 12-02-2011, 09:55 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just went thru what you are doing. My wife has a 2010 TL Tech, traded in 2000 MB S500. I drive a 04 Tahoe 4x4. About 2 months ago I wanted my own Acura. I wanted the RL because I miss the S500 ride. After driving the 12 RL and 12 TL, they drove similar, but the RL was softer and had some nice features (Power steering wheel, sun shields and other features, you can look at www.Acrua.com) but was years behind the Tech side from the TL. The RL still had a key you had to turn and no Hard Drive. I checked the specs and both cars are the same size +/- ½”, but the RL looked and felt much bigger, and more $$. If the RL had the TL Tech, I think I would have bought the RL. Thought about the MDX, but I am keeping the Tahoe as our “big” 4x4. I just wish I would have bought the 2010 with SHAWD. SHAWD is great. We bought the TL Advance SHAWD, Black/Black. My wife drives the 12 and I drive the 10 and the Tahoe. She knows she spoiled.
IMO the TL is not a family car. If we take the family (4 of us) out, we drive the Tahoe so that we have room after our bellies are full. When you test drive the TL, RL or MDX, you sit in the back. The TL trunk fills up quick. We were spoiled having a S500. I wish Acura would upgrade/update the RL.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:11 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Makes sense right?
You are joking, right?
Old 12-03-2011, 08:52 AM

Received 9,500 Likes on 6,171 Posts
Old 12-03-2011, 09:19 AM
Chapter Leader (Houston)

Received 1,085 Likes on 810 Posts

Agreed?
With that attitude sir, don't be surprised if you find out your wife is cheating on you sooner or later.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:27 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,194 Likes on 687 Posts
I must say, you took his comment quite well. Even as a guy, I'm a bit offended at the "I'm the man, I make the rules" mentality.

Props to you, ma'am.
The following 3 users liked this post by Rick_TL-S:
Acura_Dude (12-04-2011), Aman (12-03-2011), nj2pa2nc (12-03-2011)
Old 12-03-2011, 09:29 AM
Scott

Received 156 Likes on 151 Posts
my brother in law gave our wedding talk and i seem to recall one main point from it

a happy wife............is a happy life.!!!!!!

i do tho, need to remind myself of that fact from time to time.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:14 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Makes sense right?
Stay home for three months like I did (and I'm the quote unquote breadwinner in my house) and you'll change your tune. If mothers were to do what they do during the day professionally, they would make more than six figures. Just sayin'. How about you give your wife a little more respect, huh?

To get back on topic, I suggest you ask her at least what color she wants.

My father once told me, "You're either right or you're happy."

Last edited by gatrhumpy; 12-03-2011 at 10:18 AM.
Ken1997TL (12-03-2011)
Old 12-03-2011, 10:28 AM
Rich and Famous

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
From a male perspective - you will be far better with your wife being happy and making her own mind up. Help her doing this if she really needs help.
She will take you along for a great ride for a long time .

Also - I would not compare TL to RL directly. Entire differ class of car and they drive differ. Wife had 2000 TL and we had a '91 Legend. The RL also has better inside.
Although she liked the TL ride and shorter wheelbase ... she did not like how fast the coated split hide leather wore out.
I am now sold on Milano Prem Leather and AC seats. So is she.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:34 PM
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
30+ years and I have yet to win an argument with my wife.

Respect goes a LONG way, but not NEARLY as far as the ire of a woman.
Acura_Dude (12-04-2011)
Old 12-03-2011, 12:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
A strong word of advice:

Appreciate your wife more and respect more of her decisions. Include her in this one especially.
Old 12-03-2011, 02:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
When it comes to my car, my wife says yea/nay to the financing only, no input as to the vehicle. When it comes to her car we both have to say yea/nay to the vehicle, but she still says yea/nay to the financing.

To the OP, the RL is more about luxury, the TL is more about sportiness. Pick what you want.

Last edited by g37guy01; 12-03-2011 at 02:17 PM.
Old 12-03-2011, 02:22 PM
WDP 4G

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts
typical "i think i'm the alpha male"
if she picks a new man she won't be needing your decision

if the car is FOR her and driven BY her why can't she pick? that would be like signing up for college and not being able to pick a major
Old 12-03-2011, 02:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
Are you jealous or something? lol. How do you know the way things work in my household, you don't. I assume you were making the idiotic alpha male comment on my post.
Old 12-03-2011, 02:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Originally Posted by g37guy01
Are you jealous or something? lol. How do you know the way things work in my household, you don't. I assume you were making the idiotic alpha male comment on my post.
I'm going to guess the reference was to the original post and his subsequent posts. Not yours.
ggesq (12-03-2011)
Old 12-03-2011, 03:52 PM
Scott

Received 156 Likes on 151 Posts
hhmmm , ...... have not seen the OP on his thread for a while?
Old 12-03-2011, 05:41 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Is that a complaint?
Old 12-03-2011, 09:23 PM
Banned

Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts

Agreed?
That's in a 50's-60's world. Damn what year does your family operate in ha ha... Good Lord. Isn't it 2011 (checks the calender on my smartphone) yup i thought it was.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:28 PM

Received 9,500 Likes on 6,171 Posts
If your wife just stays at home and cooks your meals, why does she need a car in the first place?
Old 12-04-2011, 01:00 PM

Received 1,021 Likes on 793 Posts
ok eazy.. so last time you stated that you get laid left and right with your tl (see my signature)

but you have a wife?????

either this guy is douche or this guy is a complete liar on everything he says.. only part that i actually believe is that he got 4 speeding tickets..
The following 4 users liked this post by potmilkz:
crazyasiantl (12-06-2011), lji (12-05-2011), Stew4HD (12-05-2011), TinyRK (12-13-2011)
Old 12-04-2011, 01:02 PM

Received 1,021 Likes on 793 Posts
Originally Posted by TLDude876
With that attitude sir, don't be surprised if you find out your wife is cheating on you sooner or later.

too late he kind of did it way before she did..
Old 12-04-2011, 01:49 PM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
LOL Im glad everyone agrees with me on this. I read through everyone's post after my last one and still no OP. I just think it's weird to hear that I make the money and I have all the say attitude. That's a rarity these days for me to hear that. But anywho... HOW'S EVERYONE DOING TODAY?!
Old 12-05-2011, 06:56 AM
Banned

Received 960 Likes on 593 Posts
You let your wife drive? You progressive.