New Suv

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 10:37 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Suv

My wife and I are looking at getting a second car early next year.

We've gotten accustomed to the luxury of the TXX (leather, features, performance etc) so are pretty sure we'll be looking for something similar, by way of fit and feature, but also with more space for hauling all of our weekend purchases (poor TSX has had the rear seats folded way too many times ). I liek the idea of a 3rd row for those instances when the in-laws come visiting etc ..

So far I know she loves the MDX, and M-Class (350) ... her aunt mentioned the Lexus 330 (of which I'm not a big fan) ... Didn't really entertain the X3/X5, primariily because of price nor did we look at Inifiniti's FX35, it just doesn't seem worth it.

Can anyone give my an idea of their experiences with these 3 SUV's? Let me know if I should be considering something else.

Thanks!
Old 11-23-2004, 10:40 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Isn't the Merc extremly unreliable/problematic?

MDX has a 3rd row and the RX doesn't but the RX has arguably better reliability/build quality. My vote is for the MDX though, better styling and useability.
Old 11-23-2004, 10:41 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
MDX is a solid choice. My dad just got a 2005 and I'm looking forward to playing with it when I go home for Christmas. Plus, you can find pretty good deals on them right now.

The M-Class is overpriced and pretty weak on amenities. The Lexus RX330 is decent, but is the least off-road capable and has the lowest load rating. And if you don't like it already, then you probably won't really like it that much more if you buy it.
Old 11-23-2004, 11:03 AM
Race Director

Received 625 Likes on 504 Posts
And the FX is just a jacked up G35x on steroids with a bit of room but nothing like the MDX.
Old 11-23-2004, 01:17 PM
Racer

Seems like everyone likes the MDX ... I do too, I must admit. My wife is 5ft, and she's totally in love with it .. she can;t wait to get behind the wheel and tower over everyone else ... (don't worry, she drives like a champ )

Do we know if there is a mega change coming for 06 models? It seems that so far the changes have been minor .. purely cosmetic.

Let me know.

Also, is Acura planning a small SUV to compete with X3's etc?
Old 11-23-2004, 01:22 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by marakbai
Seems like everyone likes the MDX ... I do too, I must admit. My wife is 5ft, and she's totally in love with it .. she can;t wait to get behind the wheel and tower over everyone else ... (don't worry, she drives like a champ )

Do we know if there is a mega change coming for 06 models? It seems that so far the changes have been minor .. purely cosmetic.

Let me know.

The 06 is scheduled for a bit of a wheelbase stretch, but cosmetically, there won't be a huge difference. Expect a revamped interior and some new gadgets though.
Old 11-23-2004, 01:41 PM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my friend has a 04 MDX, i love the interior. what's with the rice rear lights on the 05?

and please, no one seriously takes these land-boats off-road...do they???
Old 11-23-2004, 01:46 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Yes, the RDX should be available in the fall of 05 as an 06.
Old 11-23-2004, 01:51 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by mg7726
my friend has a 04 MDX, i love the interior. what's with the rice rear lights on the 05?

and please, no one seriously takes these land-boats off-road...do they???
Not "off-road" but I have seen people use them on gravel driveways.

And the lights aren't like the IS or the Altima. They just have a chrome surround.
Old 11-23-2004, 01:52 PM
Racer

Interesting ... I'll have to google the RDX to see what it has to offer.

Also mg7726: I certainly won't be taking it offroad, unless you call Muskoka offroad
Old 11-23-2004, 01:53 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Interesting ... I'll have to google the RDX to see what it has to offer.

Also mg7726: I certainly won't be taking it offroad, unless you call Muskoka offroad

Google?

We have an Official RDX thread right here.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...&highlight=RDX
Old 11-23-2004, 02:01 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by domn
Google?

We have an Official RDX thread right here.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...&highlight=RDX

I swear I'm, not a
Old 11-23-2004, 06:28 PM
Everyday Joe

Let me know.

I saw something on the most recent C&D TV that the '06 or '07 MDX would have more HP from a 3.7L, a new AWD system, and something like a moderate restyling (nothing major).
Old 11-23-2004, 08:04 PM
101 years of heartache...

the old rx300 and current rx330 have altezza taillights. the IS actually looks nice with them, but the Altima? Well, it's a family sedan and just like the Accord gives you an affordable, roomy ride at the cost of looks and performance. My friend has an '04 Altima, and it's got a ton of power for a family sedan . Very good off the line. Too bad it has some of the crappiest materials I have EVER seen .

ANYWAY, back to the topic. I have done my homework on this subject and if you're looking for Luxury brand, stick to Lexus or Acura on this one. Both the X5 and ML are made in America and suffer terrible mechanical issues. The FX is not an SUV at all although I like it. The Toureg WOULD be the best fit because brand new, it's simply amazing and has everything one would need. Unfortunately, VW's have some of the worst reliability out there. I know owners of both MDX's and RX's, and they are very happy with them. I know someone at school that preordered one of the 1st MDX's and he loves it.

So now it's between the MDX and RX, but you say you don't like the RX. Now there's only one choice... . Besides, you can negotiate much better than MB with Acura. Good luck either way.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:11 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
Not "off-road" but I have seen people use them on gravel driveways.

I am planning on having this dilemma in a few years... obviously the market won't be exactly the same then as it is now, but if I was looking now it would be between an MDX, a RX, and a Pilot. If I got anyone of the three, my dad would me since he used to be in a jeep club and can't stand today's elevated wagons that are called SUVs!

I think I'd pick a V70R over any of them, or that AWD IMA TSX wagon that justin's going to have custom-made for me Our major need for AWD is driving on unplowed dirt roads in PA and getting out of my folks' driveway up there (had that problem before )
Old 11-23-2004, 08:19 PM
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
that 3rd row is kinda smallish, i would check to see if you would feel comfortable in that third row.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:27 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally Posted by jmathew34
that 3rd row is kinda smallish, i would check to see if you would feel comfortable in that third row.
It's for his in-laws, man
Old 11-23-2004, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by jmathew34
, but it does have more room for cargo once the 3rd row is down.
Old 11-23-2004, 09:49 PM
White and Nerdy

The X3 got a very negative review in C&D...I can recall the line "suspension hardened the way they harden missle silos" or something to that effect. Very harsh ride, acc. to C&D.

Wife and I were also looking at SUVs to replace our CR-V when we start having kids and need more room, but are now leaning towards an Odyssey minivan. For the price of a base, no options bare bones MDX or RX, you can get an Odyssey with everything but the kitchen sink.
Old 11-24-2004, 02:00 AM
has been here awhile

Between the vehicles listed, I'd go with the RX--but just barely. The RX has more gadgets and gizmos offered, has better materials, and is overall a more refined package. Yes, the MDX has more space than the RX, but if you don't need the extra space, the RX is much more appealing.

That being said, I prefer the Touareg. If you haven't considered it, you need to go check it out at the dealership. Yes, the reliability is on the sketchy side, but once you drive it, you'll fall in love. The interior is typical Volkswagen/Audi--absolutely stunning. Materials are befitting of an 80k luxo barge, the wood is extremely rich, the leather is amazingly supple. Details are astounding. The ride is beautiful...German firm, yet still providing a supple ride. The thing corners well and hardly leans. The V6 has adequate power, but is very polished and smooth. Drive it at your own risk; your emotions will say "GET THIS THING...TAKE IT HOME!" while your mind will say "GERMAN = HIGH MAINTENANCE...NOT WORTH THE RISK".

But the RX is a good solid choice...the MDX as well. I'd say go with the one your wife likes--she'll be the primary driver, right?
Old 11-24-2004, 07:11 AM
Team Owner

SPUD, while the RX has more gadgets offered, you're forgetting that those gadgets cost money. Also, the base RX costs about $1k more than the base MDX. All things to keep in mind.
Old 11-24-2004, 08:58 AM
Racer

Wow, all great reviews guys.

I have heard similar comments about the BMW and MB recently, so I'm pretty sure to be stayign away from them. I didn't actually consider the Toaureg (didn't realise it was only CDN$2K over the MDX), but would look into it for sure.

My would be the primary driver, since she feels that the TSX is mine (nothing wrong with that!), so the Volvo is not an option, since she's always disliked their styling, no matter how good they are, performance wise.

She's actually liking the few Touareg's we're seeing on the road in Toronto, so that may not be a bad option.

Maybe we'll go do a test-drive to see, sometime soon
Old 11-24-2004, 09:00 AM
Team Owner

Wow, all great reviews guys.

I have heard similar comments about the BMW and MB recently, so I'm pretty sure to be stayign away from them. I didn't actually consider the Toaureg (didn't realise it was only CDN$2K over the MDX), but would look into it for sure.

My would be the primary driver, since she feels that the TSX is mine (nothing wrong with that!), so the Volvo is not an option, since she's always disliked their styling, no matter how good they are, performance wise.

She's actually liking the few Touareg's we're seeing on the road in Toronto, so that may not be a bad option.

Maybe we'll go do a test-drive to see, sometime soon
Is the Touareg CDN $2k over the MDX when base or optioned?
Old 11-24-2004, 09:19 AM
Racer

Base ... I just tried to build one, with options:
leather
heated mirroirs
power seats
premium audio

and it came up to CDN$58K (which is $6K more)
Old 11-24-2004, 03:40 PM
White and Nerdy

Lexus will nickel and dime you to death with the options on the RX330.

My wife slobbers at RX's, and when we went to look and test drive, we found:

1. It's next to impossible to find a deal for one for anywhere near MSRP, much less invoice price (this may be just in my geographical area, however). This is one hot car, and they sell alot of them, and fast.

2. Many dealerships will only sell RX's that have option "packages" ("option packages" should be an oxymoron, because it limits your options!) which really ups the price. Trying to find a "bare bones" RX is tough, at least around here.

3. Love the way it drives. Quick and quiet as a tomb, especially for an SUV.

4. Not as much room cargo wise as other SUV's. The MDX/Pilot can handle much more cargo and people.

5. Toyota/Lexus NAV is not nearly as good as Honda/Acuras NAVI
Old 11-24-2004, 04:25 PM
bleh...

I say get the Lexus RX330, its the better one on the lux-SUVs I think. The aging MDX is also a good choice.
Old 11-24-2004, 05:45 PM

Spud hit it right on the dot. The Toureg's interior could be my home! They did not skip a single thought in that car, it's simply gorgeous. My dad and I tested the V6. It has adequate power and yeah, it does handle quite well. Comparably equipped with a typical dealer lot MDX+Touring package or RX330 AWD, it's actually the same price, $40k. If only VW would take care of that quality thing.

The RX330 gives you Japanese reliability and great quality. I myself like it for what it is. The Toureg and MDX have more aggressive looks to them, but the RX330 gives you Acura-like reliability and Toureg-like quality. It's the best of the 2 most important things in my opinion. Also remember, if looks are a huge factor, cancel some options. Power-wise, the MDX is great; plenty of torque and great fuel economy, somewhere the Germans don't excel. In my case, we narrowed it down to the Pilot and Highlander or the MDX or RX330. We decided the RX330 took the high-end comparo because of the slightly better materials and J on the VIN. Also, the Pilot and MDX were not our size. Great cars, but too big from what we came from. The Highlander was easily negotiable; I actually did all the negotiating and got the sticker price for the 2005 with everything but Navi down to 100 below invoice. Acura and Lexus would not budge at all. We would have easily purchased the 2004 RX330, but they refused to negotiate. That's understandable, however.

So yeah, I agree with Spud all the way. VW is great in the beginning, but for that money, the RX330's long-run reliability is what I like (include the MDX there, too).
Old 11-24-2004, 08:18 PM
Safety Car

I wouldn't mind getting in line for a new hybrid rx or highlander.