Negotiating Tactics...

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 06:52 PM
Moto Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Derk's K24
It's definitely a game that's played on both ends and is caused by both parties. Unfortunately this will go on til the end of time unless every dealer goes the Carmax route.
God, I hope it doesn't all go the Carmax route. They have decent prices on some vehicles and very crumby prices on others.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:34 PM
Por Favor?

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I dont mind giving price quotes to people online or over the phone but I hate I do hate it in person. Reason being is customers will come in and attempt to play these head games like they are there to buy the car and after driving like 30 cars they want a card and the best price. Well why not get the best price when you're ready to buy. I can understand different reasons like I need the wife, kid, or need to get my money together but tire kickers are the worst. Especially when they waste your time driving 20 used cars, get the best price and dont intend on buying the car like 6 months from now. The car wont be here 6 months from now!!!!

It's definitely a game that's played on both ends and is caused by both parties. Unfortunately this will go on til the end of time unless every dealer goes the Carmax route.
I'll admit I agree with that. Who the hell wastes the salesperson's and their own time driving endless car after car these days? I do my window shopping on Craigslist, Autotrader or dealer websites. I don't think I've ever gotten as far as the dealer lot unless I was seriously checking a piece out...
Old 01-16-2009, 12:19 PM
Advanced

I just tell people now to come back to me last. I know you're going to go shop these numbers, so give me a chance to earn your business. After all I'm the one who spent the time showing you the cars.

Sometimes they come back, sometimes they don't. Most of the time, they come in as an online lead. The car business becomes much easier and relaxed when you understand you won't sell everyone a car. Even when you do everything right.
Old 01-16-2009, 04:07 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Every deal can be beaten (at least on a new car). I've never heard of a deal that was so good nobody would beat it sometimes they just don't want to (buyer out of area).

Because people prefer to buy locally but not just shop that way I still don't email out quotes.

You'll always get your best price when you're at the dealership and if you think you have some Jack who wants to drive 30 cars and not buy that day you have ask them what they are hoping to accomplish during their visit. Most people don't lie and say buy the car then test drive 30 cars and leave.

Originally Posted by taitando
I don't think most people are trying to set the record for buying a car the cheapest. If I'm like most customers, I just want a good deal where I don't feel that I've been taken advantage of. Which is why I extensively research pricing before making any inquiries. Like all professions, I understand car salesmen need to make a living too.

And I disagree with the idea that every quote can be beaten, particularly if you limit the radius of your search. In example, when I got my RL, I did so locally within a 25 mile radius. Dealer A gave me a quote that Dealer B could not beat. And that was it. Their first offer was their best, and I didn't need to rack my brain trying to get the price lower because I felt it was a good enough deal, especially if the other dealer couldn't match it.

If other customers are like me, I think we prefer to shop locally especially taking into consideration servicing the car after the sale. I'm sure there were dealers beyond the 25 mile radius willing to beat the offer by $100, but it eventually gets to a point where there's no financial sense in going to a dealer that may be 50 miles or more away just to save $100 on a deal. Especially since I value my time, as you've mentioned you do too.

Anyhow, I'll concede you that caveat, that it IS human nature to shop around, so taking that into account, I hope that your quotes are good enough to help you close your potential deals.
Old 01-17-2009, 01:24 PM
is in Honda heaven

Originally Posted by Brandon24pdx
I'll admit I agree with that. Who the hell wastes the salesperson's and their own time driving endless car after car these days? I do my window shopping on Craigslist, Autotrader or dealer websites. I don't think I've ever gotten as far as the dealer lot unless I was seriously checking a piece out...

You wouldnt think in the Internet age that this still happens but believe me it does.
Old 01-17-2009, 01:27 PM
Advanced

Well you can't drive a car on the internet, so I can understand THAT, but at least give that salesperson that is spending time with you a shot at your business. To simply waste their time with no intention of letting them compete for your business is just mean.
Old 05-16-2009, 01:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Sorry to bump an old thread but this thread is exactly what I am looking for.

I am looking at a new 2009 Civic Si. Going to be paying straight up, no trade in etc. I am going to be emailing dealers later this week to start getting some pricing ideas. I visited the local dealer about a month ago and their offer before any negotiations etc was the Edmunds TMV price.

I do not have a set price yet but I figured i would start emailing dealers and see what offers I can get. I was looking on this site:
http://www.negotiationdynamics.com/Newcar.asp
and I thought they had some good ideas, particularly responses via email to dealers such as:

* "I reviewed your quotation and I'm not sure whether or not it is worth coming to the dealership if this is the best you can do."
* "I've looked at your quotation and it really is not all that competitive which surprises me. I hope that you can do better than that."
* "I'm pretty much of a price buyer and will need you to be a lot more aggressive than your quotation. Is that something that you can do or should I not bother coming in?"

Do those sound like a good start?

Once I get a target price decided I was also thinking about walking into the dealer with a Money Order in hand made out with the price I want and make them the offer right there with the money in hand.
Old 05-16-2009, 02:06 PM
is in Honda heaven

^ Those responses are somewhat good, the only thing I would change about them is the arrogant tone that comes across. At least thats the way it comes off IMO.

Oh and walking in with pre filled out check will majority of the time back fire. Because lets say the check is made out for more than the dealer was going to offer you. You've opened up a door to get raped. Just go in and say that you are already pre-approved so financing is not a problem but you are open to see what the dealer can do whether it be match it or beat it. That way they know you are serious, are able to buy but also willing to give their finance department a shot at earning your business which makes you seem like a fair customer which goes a long way. Believe me.

Last edited by Derk's K24; 05-16-2009 at 02:11 PM.
Old 05-16-2009, 04:15 PM
Rooting for Acura

Received 1,765 Likes on 804 Posts
^ Those responses are somewhat good, the only thing I would change about them is the arrogant tone that comes across. At least thats the way it comes off IMO.
Same feeling I got too.

One thing to keep in mind is that just because you have a check does not mean that the dealership is going to jump through any special hoops to make your check their check. In fact they make more money off of a deal if you finance through a financial institution they have a relationship with.
Old 05-16-2009, 04:19 PM
Rooting for Acura

Required Reading

oh... I read this years ago and I think everybody should read this.

Confessions of a Car Salesman

note: you might wanna grab a big bag of chips and a 32oz drink. It's long.
Old 05-16-2009, 05:55 PM
Acuras Only in

I did my last three dealings through internet ... the 1st being around 2000 when the online buying was just getting started, so autobytel helped me getting TL at slightly below MSRP when there was a 1-2k markup at local dealers (if i remember correctly) ... the last two I did researches before I mass-emailed to local dealers and somehow the best deal are from the dealer I normally go in for services ... both are below other dealers' offerings .... funny thing is one of the dealers got the nreve to tell me that his customers are paying close to MSRP nowadays while I got mine below invoice ...

I did walked away from my last deal during my first visit, hoping to wrap up a deal in person ... and I told the sales guy to contact me if they hava a change of heart, ... and they did of course ... so we got everything done through email exchanges and then I stopped by & signed the paper .... total painless process ...
Old 05-16-2009, 09:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
car buying is simple for me. I go in and I know what I am willing to pay for my new ride. If they do not want to deal, I leave.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:10 PM
Rooting for Acura

Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai
car buying is simple for me. I go in and I know what I am willing to pay for my new ride. If they do not want to deal, I leave.
You're right. It is that simple if the number you are thinking of is not profitable for the dealer. They'll be glad to see you leave. The complexity comes in when all things are considered, such as what has already been covered in this thread.

It bet you if you gave them a number that was negotiable the experience would be more than telling them what you wanna pay and then walking out.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating dealerships, but that approach seems way to simplistic to be effective.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
it works and since I buy used cars only, I usually go for a number I know they can do. For example my 2002 CLS I got for $15K and they wanted $16K for it. I have no time to play games because I did not need a car at the time, I just wanted something a little bit more powerful and more comfy than a 98 Accord LX-V6. I just told the lady $15K or I am leaving......