Need an opinion on 350Z

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2002, 10:27 PM
Contagious

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need an opinion on 350Z

Well, here's my dilema. A local dealership is being allocated 4 of the new 350Z for August delivery (Apparently this is what all Nissan dealerships are getting for August). They have already sold 2 of the cars. All I need to do is give a $500 deposit and car #3 is mine. My question is, is it really worth it? I did have one of the last generation Z's (a 1990) which was, in one word, awesome. The problem is, I am not so sure about buying a car, sight unseen, without driving it first.

So my question is, should I take the plunge? I know that ultimately it is my decision, but for some reason I really value the opinions of the people on this board (why, I do not know). Any feedback, positive or negative, would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!!
Old 01-17-2002, 10:29 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you want it then get it. I wouldn't get a first year car though. Nissans are reliable and the VQ is a proven engine so there shouldn't be a problem.
Old 01-17-2002, 10:33 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I would get it, how bad can it be....can't be any worse than the CL.

Oh, and not test driving it before you buy it- don't worry, that car is going to be incredible. Unless your like super tall and may want to see if you fit first, that I can understand.
Old 01-18-2002, 12:29 AM
Instructor

MY FRIEND...

just got one...or soon to get one
he put down a non-refundable G
and signed the contract the other day with all the goodies
he said it came out close to 38K
e-mail me if you want to talk to my friend

in his opinion he thinks he's getting ripped off
i tell him it's the price he's paying to get one of the first Z-ladies off the line

boz.
Old 01-18-2002, 01:58 AM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
worst case...

you can sell your allocation to someone else if you change your mind.

if you dont mind parting with $500 till august... go for it.
Old 01-18-2002, 02:02 AM
Rock Chalk Jayhawk

Re: MY FRIEND...

Originally posted by Tuboz
just got one...or soon to get one
he put down a non-refundable G
and signed the contract the other day with all the goodies
he said it came out close to 38K
e-mail me if you want to talk to my friend

in his opinion he thinks he's getting ripped off
i tell him it's the price he's paying to get one of the first Z-ladies off the line

boz.
I didn't think a loaded Z was going to be that high.
Old 01-18-2002, 02:29 AM
Pro

Came upon something of potential interest to those interested in the upcoming 350Z:

http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/24246z/z.htm

Check out the pseudo dual exhaust and limited underbody fairing. It suggests it's more of a sports car along the lines of the S2000 (or F-16 in warbird terms; elemental performance from power-to-weight) rather than the Skyline (or F-15; all-out performance). Frankly, that's a smart business move.

If you can't find it in a local hobby shop, it can be bought here:

http://www.hlj.com/cgi-local/hljpage.cgi?TAM24246
Old 01-18-2002, 07:15 AM
Find beauty in dissonance

Could you arrange to be on the 2nd or 3rd allocation? Maybe an October or November delivery? Then you could have more info on the car before you buy it. Let other people drive and give a real world evaluation. Being the first on the block does not appear to be a priority, so get on a later allocation.
Old 01-18-2002, 08:52 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,569 Likes on 986 Posts
Re: Re: MY FRIEND...

Originally posted by kuwolde

I didn't think a loaded Z was going to be that high.
Maybe he didn't pay MSRP?
Old 01-18-2002, 09:00 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Just wait a see.., maybe it got a its fair share of new-car, first-year problems.

Nissan is cutting cost after all and that will show up for sure.... the CLS is a proof of that. The only good thing it would be assembled in Japan so better fit and finish.
Old 01-18-2002, 10:15 AM
Casual Observer

I don't know if I would by this car in the first model year, even if I could test drive it first.

This hasn't exactly been the smoothest development process, and even under the best of circumstances new models generally have all kinds of problems that get sorted out by the second or third year.

The only benefit I see to signing up this early is to be "The first one on your block", but that feeling will last 6 months to 9 months at best and then it could turn into "If I only waited until the second year I could have avoided this rattle or that problem."

Just my two cents, and another way to look at it.

I will say this though, if anyone is going to make a solid car in the first year I think it will be Nissan. Especially a car that they hope will propel the company image for the next few years.
Old 01-18-2002, 10:21 AM
Cruisin'

Originally posted by bioyuki
If you want it then get it. I wouldn't get a first year car though. Nissans are reliable and the VQ is a proven engine so there shouldn't be a problem.
Nissan's reliable? Hardly

Old 01-18-2002, 12:45 PM
hater

Re: Need an opinion on 350Z

Originally posted by CCns24
Well, here's my dilema. A local dealership is being allocated 4 of the new 350Z for August delivery (Apparently this is what all Nissan dealerships are getting for August). They have already sold 2 of the cars. All I need to do is give a $500 deposit and car #3 is mine. My question is, is it really worth it? I did have one of the last generation Z's (a 1990) which was, in one word, awesome. The problem is, I am not so sure about buying a car, sight unseen, without driving it first.

So my question is, should I take the plunge? I know that ultimately it is my decision, but for some reason I really value the opinions of the people on this board (why, I do not know). Any feedback, positive or negative, would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!!
Just do it. It's only $500 you lose if you drive the car and hate it which I doubt would happen. This is make or break for Nissan and I don't see them fucking this one up. It HAS to be a smash or they lose all credibility.

I'm getting a 6MT Touring, Silverstone/Charcoal, non-nav.
Old 01-18-2002, 02:12 PM
got rocks??

patience is a virtue

Must of been a wise man...if 500 dollars is nothing do it. But dont get sucked into all the pre-release madness. You will be taken to the bank for having one of the first z's on the road.

I am also thinking heavily on the z as a play car. But I am planning on waiting untill I can readily walk onto the floor room and sit in one as im haggling. It really puts the ball in the sellers hand and as you know the car salesman will really take advantage of this.

My wife got sucked into the pt cruiser fad (short as it was) and i found myself at the dealer willing to wheel and deal on one for her. There was a list a mile long and they wouldnt budge on the price because of that fact and ya da ya da . Damn good thing too cuz now when i see one on the road i cringe in what could have been a very bad mistake. By the way she now drives the '01 CLS-S and is very happy.

So in retrospect...if you have no need to buy the car right away..and have a car that will "work" untill these are easily available (which is always by the way - years if you listen to the salesmen but usually takes 6-12months) not only will you save money <--prob lotz. But will have more knowledge of the car...know what to ask for when buying. And might be getting a model that is more sound because of known problems being fixed by that time.

believe me i waaaant one 2! Ill be damned if this thing has me debating between the lightning and the zzZZzzZZz gonna be tough

KJ
Old 01-18-2002, 02:25 PM
Instructor

i would check again on the deposit. i called 3 dealers here in Dallas and all 3 told me the deposit was FULLY refundable. it is $1000 here though. when the car comes in you can 'kick the tires' and test drive it before deciding whether or not to purchase it. if you can afford to drop a G now go ahead an do it, no loss if its refundable...
Old 01-18-2002, 02:48 PM
Racer

I completely agree with ALoP. It is the sensible thing to do. I also agree with others regarding the first year model purchase. You will have problems that would be resolved in later models. Our 2001 CL-S is not really a first year model. It is an evolution of the 2000 CL. With the exception of sunroof rattle, which was fixed by Park Ave, mine is practically trouble free.