Need help with ATF Change

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 09:39 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Need help with ATF Change

All,

One of the cars, ’96 Saturn with the 4-spd GM TAAT unit, is due for a transmission fluid/filter change.

Book requires Dexron-IIE or better. I’m planning to buy 3 gallons of Supertech Dexron-IIIH/Mercon ($6/gal) and a new Napa Gold (Wix) transmission spin-on filter for the service. I’m going to try and purge the system completely this time to remove all of the old fluid.

The first service on this unit was done at 34K with Pennzoil Dexron-IIIG/Mercon with a new Genuine Saturn filter at the dealership back in 7/00. This was a drain, filter change, and refill only. No flush. The second change was done at the local mechanic. He drained and refilled only with Dexron-III (Coastal brand I believe), and didn’t even change the filter.

I currently have a leak in the system coming from the top cover area since about 40,000 miles ago. The spin-on transmission filter is located in that area, so the leak could either be from the filter or the cover gasket. I wouldn’t be surprised if the filter was the cause of the leak, as the gasket is nearly 6-years and 60,000 miles old.

In addition, the maintenance on this vehicle was previously taken care of by my father, who almost never checked the transmission fluid level despite the leak. Though the leak developed at around 50,000 miles, I don’t recall him ever adding any fluid, though the fluid was changed at 70,000 miles. (The mechanic who did the service is known to overfill, as he doesn’t believe it is necessary to run the engine to check the fluid level. He simply fills it to the top dot when the engine is off , so the overfill may’ve saved the transmission somewhat) The only time fluid was added was approximately 2,000 miles ago @ 88,000 miles, when the same mechanic did the brakes, and added 1 quart of Coastal Dexron-IIIH at that time. Thus, I’m not sure how much damage has been done to this transmission due to low fluid levels.

For the more knowledgeable people out there, what transmission fluid would you recommend? Should I spend the extra $0.50/qt for the Pennzoil one? I was told that most Dexron-IIIH fluids were nearly identical. Should I spend the extra dough for the ACDelco Dexron-VI fluid? Perhaps add Lubegard Red?

If anyone happens to be familiar with the Saturn S-Series, will the removal of the front splash guard allow for access to the heat exchange return line? Is the bottom line the return line to the transmission? Is the attached tube long enough to reach the ground to drain the fluid into a bucket?

TIA.