Need to Get A New(To Me) Car, And I'm Thinking of Getting.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011 | 03:31 PM
In the Mid-South meow

A pre-owned Mazda3 sounds like it might fit in your budget. Good luck!
Old 05-05-2011 | 04:40 PM
Off roading in his

How about an 03 maxima?
Old 05-05-2011 | 06:19 PM
Turd Polisher

Look for an older 7G coupe (2003 -2005).

They're great cars!
Old 05-05-2011 | 07:35 PM
Currently Post-Acura

Originally Posted by ZhenyaF
How about an 03 maxima?
Oh wow, I completely forgot about those! I was looking to get one before I was getting the CL. Mazda is a no since my parents had a bad experience with one. What should a 02-03 Maxima be going for? I see one near me with 80k miles for about $7k
Old 05-06-2011 | 09:49 AM
Currently Post-Acura

I know this kinda out of the normal for what I have previously suggested, but any opinions on a BMW 325xi? A small dealer has a 2004 with 79k miles on it asking $12k, would again haggle, but I have no idea to what extent. Would a Bimmer be more expensive to maintain or would it be almost like a Honda? German reliability?
Old 05-09-2011 | 03:16 PM
Currently Post-Acura

Went on friday to the Toyota dealership and the Camry was already sold. The same guy that sold my grandma 3 weeks ago came up and helped my mom and I. While there, I noticed a 2006 loaded Mercury Mariner Premier 4WD, and I kept it in mind. On Saturday, I went to Toyota of Hackensack, and their used car department was pretty ghetto across the street from the new car building, and they didn't have anything I liked. Hackensack Nissan: Ford Escape I saw online was already sold. So after the Nissan dealer, I went back to the first Toyota dealer and test drove the Mariner. Was very nice inside, low miles (50k) and its a decent price. As long as my dad thinks the car is good, I think that Mariner will be my replacement. I know it isn't very exciting, but it's comfortable, better for New Jersey winters, and is more versatile than the CL was.
Old 05-09-2011 | 06:58 PM
I drive a Subata.

I gotta tell you... you have some funny tastes in cars.
Old 05-10-2011 | 02:03 PM
Corn-Fed Mule

Originally Posted by JS + MS3
I gotta tell you... you have some piss poor tastes in cars.
There, fixed that for you...

Just kidding OP...just get what you can afford and what makes you happy...screw everything and everyone else (including me)
Old 05-10-2011 | 02:51 PM
Team Owner

Keep Looking..

I got my 06 accord LX for $12999 with 40k miles in 2009!! and it was Honda Certified Financed through AHFS with 100k miles warranty.

As boring as i think my Accord is... i know for a fact Camry is 10x worse.
Old 05-10-2011 | 03:29 PM
Currently Post-Acura

I know I am not picking everyone's favorite cars. But my mom has to agree on the car since I am going back on her insurance, which is a godsend for me after the accident that totaled my Acura. I thought it would take almost forever to find something we agree on, but she actually liked the Mariner. And it would better suit me for anytime I need the extra space, and especially with the 4WD with NJ winters, especially since I have to commute for school starting in the fall. And just to answer if this arises, I was not really pro-Ford for almost forever. But the reviews were good, and my dad had a Ford Escape for work with the same powertrain and it had a shitload of miles and still ran great. An Accord would be decent, but I don't think it would be as well-appointed for the price of the Mariner. At least this Mercury is better than the Corollas or other Camrys the Toyota sales guy was trying to talk me into
Old 05-10-2011 | 04:55 PM
I drive a Subata.

dude honda accord, civic, toyota corolla >>>> mercury mariner imo

hate the salesman, don't hate the car
Old 05-10-2011 | 08:29 PM
Currently Post-Acura

To be honest, I am really not a corolla fan. The one at the dealer (I know I should just look around more) was about the same price as the mercury, but less power, less equipped, and I don't think it's as good looking. And I haven't driven one personally, but for some reason a civic just seems so small for me.
Old 05-11-2011 | 07:51 AM
Corn-Fed Mule

dude honda accord, civic, toyota corolla >>>> mercury mariner imo

hate the salesman, don't hate the car
honda accord, civic, mercury mariner, wheelbarrow>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>toyota corolla/camry

Say no to beige...
Old 05-11-2011 | 07:55 AM
Your Friendly Canadian

I really don't understand why you're not a fan of the Accord. I love mine, and plenty of people are suggesting it. You were very close to buying a Camry. The Accord is pretty similar, just a little less beige.

Go try one out, then report back.
Old 05-11-2011 | 08:41 AM
Off roading in his

The Mariner is a nice SUV- I suggest go for it, especially if it suits all your needs
Old 05-11-2011 | 09:34 AM
Currently Post-Acura

Originally Posted by Aman
I really don't understand why you're not a fan of the Accord. I love mine, and plenty of people are suggesting it. You were very close to buying a Camry. The Accord is pretty similar, just a little less beige.

Go try one out, then report back.
I do like the Accord, I never said I disliked it. The only problem is that for the prices that I am seeing online, there are only really LX trims near me for the price of the Mercury. The EX-L I saw is about half an hour away, and my mom (who has to approve of the car) is not willing to travel that far just even to go see it. Plus, it would not be as good in the snow (not that my CL was horrible), I really cannot put in my aftermarket radio (I'd need to leave in the factory radio even though it wouldn't be usable), and I think I'd move to an SUV just so i am not so s**t scared of hitting like those parking lot concrete islands, and there is better visibility and probably easier to park (no trunk to have to guess how much room I'd have to reverse, even though I'm having a backup cam installed again no matter what )
Old 05-11-2011 | 09:57 AM
I drive a Subata.

Okay. Good luck man. Just get something and post some pics.
Old 05-11-2011 | 06:24 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by MaxMike93
I do like the Accord, I never said I disliked it. The only problem is that for the prices that I am seeing online, there are only really LX trims near me for the price of the Mercury. The EX-L I saw is about half an hour away, and my mom (who has to approve of the car) is not willing to travel that far just even to go see it. Plus, it would not be as good in the snow (not that my CL was horrible), I really cannot put in my aftermarket radio (I'd need to leave in the factory radio even though it wouldn't be usable), and I think I'd move to an SUV just so i am not so s**t scared of hitting like those parking lot concrete islands, and there is better visibility and probably easier to park (no trunk to have to guess how much room I'd have to reverse, even though I'm having a backup cam installed again no matter what )
whatever you get, do NOT get corolla. You will end up losing more $$ getting rid of it within a few months while kicking urself in the ball.
Old 05-15-2011 | 06:03 PM
Currently Post-Acura

OK, I know the Pros(good tech, lots of safety, good power, one of my favorite looking cars ever made, it's an Acura ), but can anyone claim the Cons of a 2005 NBP TL with 116k on the clock? Dealer is close enough I'd be able to push my mom to see it, but those miles kill it. Dealer (somewhat local Acura dealership) wants $11k for it, so price range is good, and CarFax is spotless. I have another week to look/ decide since my mom will not do anything about a car until my license is sorted out (got a carless driving ticket from my accident [See 1G CL section if you want the entire story/ pics ='( ] and my dad wants me to go to court to try to remove the 2-point charge. That and some lawyer sent an advertisement claiming I can lose my license, but I read online that those consequences are pretty much if careless driving is combined with DUI)

Last edited by MaxMike93; 05-15-2011 at 06:11 PM.
Old 05-15-2011 | 08:45 PM
Currently Post-Acura

I know I just previously posted not long ago, but I must retract my possibility of that TL. At those miles, something major could break, and I'd be stuck with a nice space-taker in my driveway. Plus with the rising price of gas, the requirement of premium gas is a bit hard to chew. So while looking at the dealer's inventory, there was a 2006 Ford Fusion SEL V6 listed on the pre-owned inventory. 60k miles, pretty good reviews, and my mom even likes it just from the pictures. Fusion has steering wheel controls, auto-climate, traction control, and a better powertrain. Just doesn't have sunroof, and I'm unsure about better audio. Plus my friends kinda said Mercuries weren't really marketed for kids too much really too
Old 05-16-2011 | 11:05 PM
Currently Post-Acura

Oh how I hate car shopping.......

After reading up, many Ford Fusions have had problems with their 6-speed auto transmissions. I cannot afford for a trans to go, so that's kinda out. Plus the second I asked my dad about it, his first words were "You like that car?". Brought up the Mariner, and he still isn't sure since he isn't a very big Ford guy. So I decide to check one of his friend's dealer's sites and I see a 2006 Pontiac Torrent with leather and other options. 80k miles, which I'll be honest is a little high, but not awful. The thing is that my dad is a HUGE GM guy so this is a pushover for him, plus his friend would cut us a deal. My only slight concern is the exterior color. I know I should not be whining about it, but it's Purple Haze Metallic. Has anyone ever seen it? Like is it more black with a slight purple undertone or would a guy look like a bit of a tool in it?

So current contenders....... (2006) Mercury Mariner vs. Pontiac Torrent
Old 05-18-2011 | 09:10 AM
Currently Post-Acura

Mods, I am sorry if this many consecutive posts is against some rule. Anyway, as I was looking at another one of my friend's dealer lots, there was a 2001 accord ex v6 with 58k miles. Even though this had the same powertrain as my CL, was this more susceptible to the transmission disaster Honda had? All I keep seeing online are transmissions in that model year accord blowing up. And there is also a 2002 Lexus es300 with 80k miles, loaded, but it is more expensive than the Honda. But I havent really heard of toyotas/ lexuses of that year to really have any major problems. And I'd probably get a better deal on one of these than on the mariner. Any comments on that accord or Lexus?
Old 05-18-2011 | 09:18 AM
Team Owner

Mercury sucks I wouldnt get one I would rather walk then drive a mercury.

Honda,Toyota Mazda Nissan cheap on insurance and gas (well some)
Old 05-18-2011 | 12:13 PM
Racer

The accord tranny issues were fixed in the newer years IIRC. I would say that the ES300 is nearly bulletproof from what I've seen. It's boring as nuts but doubtful that you'll run into many problems with it.

IMHO, I would get a late 90's civic and call it day until you can get something you actually want. Its good on gas and when your ready to sell, you'll get back a solid chunk of what you originally paid for it.
Old 05-18-2011 | 12:20 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Accord transmission issues weren't really "fixed" until 2005, and even now there are a few stories about 06 and 07 V6 Accords grenading the transmission.

Is MT a possibility? That's the only trans I'd feel comfortable getting in a 6th gen Accord.
Old 05-18-2011 | 01:07 PM
Currently Post-Acura

Originally Posted by Aman
Accord transmission issues weren't really "fixed" until 2005, and even now there are a few stories about 06 and 07 V6 Accords grenading the transmission.

Is MT a possibility? That's the only trans I'd feel comfortable getting in a 6th gen Accord.
My dad is willing to go see the 2006 Accord 4-cylinder I was first looking at. But when we called the dealer to see if it was even available, they said negotiations were in progress. So that may be a dead end. I know that the Lexus would be pretty boring, but it would be a pleasant commuter car, its reliable, and since it would be from my dad's friend's Lexus dealer (he is a manager) probably anything that came up would be at least partially taken of. MT isn't really possible since I have never learned stick, and really none of my family or friends drive manuals. Plus summer traffic on the Garden State Parkway would probably be hell with a MT. My parents woudn't even go for an older Civic (my mom pretty much turned down anything older than 2000, and my dad turned down that Pontiac Torrent since the color was pretty bad). Will have to have my dad find out about that ES300. I am kinda surprised that Accord would have bad trans problems even though my CL had the same powertrain and it was about 70k miles with no problems.
Old 05-18-2011 | 05:28 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by MaxMike93
Mods, I am sorry if this many consecutive posts is against some rule. Anyway, as I was looking at another one of my friend's dealer lots, there was a 2001 accord ex v6 with 58k miles. Even though this had the same powertrain as my CL, was this more susceptible to the transmission disaster Honda had? All I keep seeing online are transmissions in that model year accord blowing up. And there is also a 2002 Lexus es300 with 80k miles, loaded, but it is more expensive than the Honda. But I havent really heard of toyotas/ lexuses of that year to really have any major problems. And I'd probably get a better deal on one of these than on the mariner. Any comments on that accord or Lexus?
Stay away from 01,02,03 accord... they are not as bad as CL-S/TL-S but some of my friends 02 V6 accord tranny went out at 70k... better than my CL-S but don't buy any V6 Honda from those 3 years if you want to be safe.

If u really want something that old and reliabile. Toyota is your best bet. 97-02 Avalon and Camry and ES300 are all bullet proof. I had a 98 Avalon XLS.. no service was done other than oil change for 100k miles. And did not bring back to dealer once for ANYTHING since the day my family bought it brand new.

Last edited by oonowindoo; 05-18-2011 at 05:36 PM.
Old 05-18-2011 | 05:38 PM
Team Owner

Till this day i still don't understand how Accord share the same tranny problem as CL-S. But they do.

Accord was 4 speed and CL-S was 5 speed... and somehow CL-S suffers with a lot more tranny problems than CL-P
Old 05-18-2011 | 10:37 PM
Currently Post-Acura

Mom said no to the suggestion of the Lexus, and also added that my next car won't be newer or pretty much nicer than her vehicle (2005 Toyota Highlander V6). But I think that if the price is right I could push for a 2005-2006 Altima or 2002-2003 Maxima. My mindset right now is pretty much either a well-appointed (I'll get past my mom ) sedan or coupe, or a small-midsize SUV that can do light off-roading (just grass and dirt/gravel roads, nothing crazy since my CL couldn't go on those roads with my friend's Jeep Cherokee), which means a 2003-2004 Pathfinder or 2004-2006 Ford Escape (not that my dad wants me to get a Ford at all). I'd really want a 2004-2005 4Runner since that's what I've wanted since I've ever car shopped, but all I'll ever hear for however long I would own it is how big it is. The Paramus Dodge dealer is torturing me with a 2003 TL Type S in ABP

Last edited by MaxMike93; 05-18-2011 at 10:42 PM.
Old 05-19-2011 | 12:05 AM
I drive a Subata.

Just get the mercury and call it a day
Old 05-20-2011 | 10:30 AM
Currently Post-Acura

Just get the mercury and call it a day
My dad says absolutely not on any Ford vehicle; he says it will fall apart . So now my mom suggested a Nissan Murano, which looks like it could be a good possibility. There are two 2003 models closeby to me so I guess I will go and see if I can find one for me
Old 05-20-2011 | 11:28 AM
I drive a Subata.

No offense, but your family has some funny taste in cars in general.
Old 05-20-2011 | 12:08 PM
Currently Post-Acura

No offense, but your family has some funny taste in cars in general.
LMAO. Well my dad has his pet peeve with Fords, my mom turns down anything that is either too new, too expensive (by about $1k that I'd try to bargain down), or even too old too. My mom has a Toyota Highlander, and my dad has a GMC Sierra SLT. Seems like most of the time I'm getting the shit possibilities for cars from them. Or the rejection of cars I see to be suitable.
Old 05-20-2011 | 12:52 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

With the 7th gens, the transmission problems were only on the AT V6s. Haven't heard anything about 4-cylinder transmissions failing, and mine's great. It's all V6 after 2002.

There are some AT V6 owners who have taken great care of their transmissions since they bought the car and are fine. But why take the risk when buying used?

Good luck with the Murano, I think it looks great on the outside.
Old 05-20-2011 | 09:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

definitely not a camry. i have a corolla and its hard not to fall sleep when i take it on highway trips, i think camrys are even worst. the little corolla is only fun in corners since i put aftermarket shocks/struts on it. i like a car that's engaging, like previous gen Mazda 3 or current Gen Mazda 6 or current accords. if reliability is a must then stay away from nissan, mazda and american brands. nissan and mazda are ok but not as reliable as say toyota or honda. what's your budget? you can get previous gen TSX for $10-12k now days and they are very reliable.
Old 05-20-2011 | 10:42 PM
Sweet!

I have an '09 Escape V6 XLT 4WD and I like it. It used to shift hard and flare between shifts occasionally, but these issues were resolved after the latest PCM software update. I didn't believe the dealer when they said it was a software problem (I was sure there was something mechanically wrong with it), but in my case it seems to have fixed it!

It's definitely got a bit more power than my TSX.
Old 05-20-2011 | 10:45 PM
In the Mid-South meow

Sounds like the OP's parents are a little too picky. Just have them pick the car since it sounds like they know what they want, or should I say, don't want. My only other advice is find a super cheap used car and pay cash and avoid your parents opinion.
Old 05-21-2011 | 09:47 PM
Currently Post-Acura

My dad just has his preference against Ford (he's a GM guy, hence why he has a '09 GMC Sierra SLT), and the auto teacher at my school (vocational) doesn't blame my dad. My mom is just the difficult one, but it's actually not as bad as I thought lmao. Anyway, I went to see the Murano today. The interior was good, but the front and rear bumpers had seen better days. Not a huge deal since my dad's has a friend that does some of the best bodywork ever (as my dad says) and we could get the bumpers redone. This is more possible since the dealer wants $9k for it, which is thankfully below the $11k max. Also found out Nissan extended the transmission warranty to 100k miles, where there are almost 18k miles left (has 82,600 on the clock) so that kinda helps me to know it would be covered. I also went to go see a 2003 TL-S at a a Dodge dealer. That was OK, but those trans issues just scare the living s**t outta me from buying one. The guy noted a nice 330Ci, but RWD in NJ is a no-no in winters. Also stopped at Park Ave Acura, where they had a 2004 TL, but my mom didn't think we'd get the price low enough for a deal. Again, a TSX would be absolutely perfect, but there really are none with low enough miles for a low enough price near me. That and I kinda wanna buy from a dealer rather than individual) Below are just the paint wear on the Murano. Sorry for the iPhone pics, but I don't think they are too skimpy on quality IMO.

Old 05-22-2011 | 01:11 AM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

If the only issue with the Murano is cosmetics, get her.

Like some girls, where the front grill may need work but the body is in good shape and the interior is worn out from excessive use, almost virginal means she'll be a reliable companion for many years.
Old 05-22-2011 | 05:38 PM
Currently Post-Acura

Well tomorrow is my court date for the ticket I received from my accident. Since I don't think anything too bad should happen (knock on wood) I'll be dragging my dad down to the dealer tomorrow lmao. Paint is only cosmetic so I can get that done (my CL needed repainting so it isn't like I've had a perfect car). And I misread Nissan's site; CVT warranty is 10 years/ 120k miles, which is better for me. Only thing I noticed is the Check Engine Light was on, but that could mean the Crankshaft and/or Camshaft position sensors are bad, which could be replaced under a recall. Since part of the dealer network it's in is a Nissan dealer, I think everything should be set for this I do gotta test drive it (didn't really have a ton of time the other day), but I've driven my mom's Toyota Highlander lately, so it can't be much different to the size of driving that.

Quick Reply: Need to Get A New(To Me) Car, And I'm Thinking of Getting.....