Need Advice - Urgent

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 02:26 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Need Advice - Urgent

Need advices from you guys smart aziners lol and BEWARE
Long story, i'll try to make it short. So back in October of 09, I ordered a right side mirror for mine other car (06 Tc), paid the guy only $120 by personal check. He cashed and to this date, had not yet delivered the product. I called numerous times and the guy sounded very apologetic. He claimed that he shipped and waited for another month but when I asked for a USP tracking #, he said he didn't have one. I called again and again, many times got his voice message. He then claimed the product was damaged and and promised to refund the $. I waited and waited and never got the refund. One of his phone # (815-669-3051) was disconnected and the other number (217-615-7464) now, if called, goes directly to voice mail. I called the police department in IL where these phone #s were registered and was advised that the police do not get involved in civil matter (this was considered a civil matter to the police). This guy, called 'Steve' used to advertise a website called National Auto Salvage and is now no longer available. He appears to be legit. Each time I called, I was very nice to him, asking why he didn't send me the product and if not available, to please to return my $ and he agreeded and said sorry many times. I can't tell if he's been scamming many others. It is so upsetting when the guy keeps making false promised and took the $ eventhough it's not much. It's the principle that is so wrong, ripping off $ from others who worked so hard for it. The guy should be brought to court for justice but I just don't know how. I would have given up but it's just so wrong and I feel strongly about it. What should I do at this point? Any azine lawyers? Please help. Thanks.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:54 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Paragraphs are your friend.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Hate to say it... but you may just be screwed. You paid via personal check, so you really do not have any recourse on getting your money back. It's not worth it to sue him b/c even in small claims court it will cost you far more then what you spent... so no point in doing that. If you can find an address you can probably hire a lawyer to send him a strong worded letter, however, even that consultation will probably run $150-$200 or more...

Best thing I can suggest would be to file a claim with the Better Business Bureau, do some internet searches to see if there are any claims against this guy/company, and go from there. Even then I do not think you will be getting either your money back or the
part.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 236 Likes on 97 Posts
JB is right. If it's been that long than it's probably not coming anymore. It sucks to say it but move on.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:50 PM
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Looks like you got taken for a ride... Be glad it wasn't any more than that.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:57 PM
Be Strong AND Courageous!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
In college, I got jacked for about twice that amount by a guy I knew pretty well who got some stuff from me and never paid up... If I hadn't said something to the guys MOTHER 6 months later, I would have never seen my money... I hate it, but its lost cash at this point...

... don't worry, that guy will loose more than $120 in blessings, if you pray for him and truly forgive him... that is, if he has not already...
Old 02-04-2010, 05:22 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Chalk it up to a learning experience.....next time use a credit card.

Taking him to small claims court for 120 bucks is not worth it.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:40 PM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think this would work in small claims because you crossed state lines, it's a federal case and they would laugh right in your face. If the shipping address you gave him is not in the same state you sent the check it's an interstate crime, and legally can't be tried in small claims. Your best bet is to file a claim with the post office, this may be enough to get your money back. Technically, assuming you mailed the check using the USPS, they facilitated the crime which is interstate fraud and they will go to bat for you, this varies depending on your local post master. In extreme cases they can prevent Steve from ever getting mail in the US ever again, in most cases just the threat of this is enough to solve small problems like this. At the same time we're not talking a lot of money so it may be difficult to get anyone to get anything done.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:15 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know it's not much and not worth fighting for but it's just so sad that there are some low life douchebag out there making a living by stealing other people hard earned $. The reason I sent the check was because he didn't accept credit card, obviously another sign which I missed. I also reported to BBB on-line and was advised to file a complaint at the local office which I haven't done. I did pray for the guy and wished that he would see his wrong doing and return the $$ which I promised God I would take this $ and give to the poor, those who are in need. I can not let this scum bag get away with the $ without doing anything. Truly, it's a lesson learned in a hard way, lol.

Thanks for all your advices!!
Old 02-04-2010, 11:31 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
sucks man. just forget it though.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:16 AM
Former Whiner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Old 02-05-2010, 06:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally Posted by 85iroc
I know it's not much and not worth fighting for but it's just so sad that there are some low life douchebag out there making a living by stealing other people hard earned $. The reason I sent the check was because he didn't accept credit card, obviously another sign which I missed. I also reported to BBB on-line and was advised to file a complaint at the local office which I haven't done. I did pray for the guy and wished that he would see his wrong doing and return the $$ which I promised God I would take this $ and give to the poor, those who are in need. I can not let this scum bag get away with the $ without doing anything. Truly, it's a lesson learned in a hard way, lol.

Thanks for all your advices!!
I hear ya. I would be the same as you. It's not much money, but it's the principle of it.

Don't worry, karma is a bitch. He'll get his. You may never find out about it so you may not feel "satisfied", but he'll get what's coming to him :thumbup: