Motorcycle Trips

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 06:26 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 196 Likes on 99 Posts
Motorcycle Trips

Something a few days or longer.

Anyone take one? I used to take extended bike trips about twice a year up until a few years ago. I used to love it. For the most part solitary, which I really enjoyed. I've been fortunate to see a number of things in faraway places and have created a lot of wonderful memories. The past few years things have been rather hectic, or an ailment or two suffered by my critters, and I haven't been able to go. I've really missed it. This summer I've taken a couple months off and will definitely be going somewhere. Still snow on ground here, and biking season not yet here, but I find myself going out to the garage and looking at the big Honda Varadero and impatiently thinking of what directing we'll he heading.

Anyone else?
Old 02-15-2012, 11:06 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,031 Likes on 2,507 Posts
This is on my bucket list. I watched the documentary on the band Rush and Neil Peart's solo travels on his motorcycle after his wife and daughter died were pretty inspiring. There's some video of him riding his BMW through Utah (?) and other western states. None the less, my plan is to try to do this, hopefully with another rider or two sometime in the future. I do go on a handful of groups day-ride every year. Solo riding is fun but I also really enjoy being in a group as well.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:26 AM
Moderator Alumnus

It's wonderful Legend. Just riding your bike with only a direction to follow. When you get there, you get there. Stop for the night, find a nice place to eat, put the bike up on centerstand and lube the chain, and sit outside the hotel for awhile. It's great.

The next morning a good breakfast, check the bike over, a tank of fuel, and back on the road listening to the pipes echo off their surroundings.

Even though most of my trips have been solitary, I've never felt myself wishing for company. In fact someone traveling alone by motorcycle always draws plenty of people. People want to know where you're going, how long you've been on the road, and talk about your bike.

Do it if you can. It's a wonderful experience.

That documentary about Rush was pretty good wasn't it? Peart had a lot to work out after the death of his wife and daughter. He seems so withdrawn when compared to the others. One memorable scene was when Lee and Lifeson boarded the jet to make it to the next show. Peart was strangely absent, then they showed he and his GS traveling down the road, choosing to take the long way instead.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
definitely on my list. hell, here in texas it will take one full day to get out of the state.

i like to backpack so i usually take the truck out west and then up hiking for a week.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:42 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by distortedolskool
definitely on my list. hell, here in texas it will take one full day to get out of the state.

i like to backpack so i usually take the truck out west and then up hiking for a week.

Would you ever take the bike you're building for an extended trip?
Old 02-16-2012, 08:04 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by teranfon
It's wonderful Legend. Just riding your bike with only a direction to follow. When you get there, you get there. Stop for the night, find a nice place to eat, put the bike up on centerstand and lube the chain, and sit outside the hotel for awhile. It's great.

The next morning a good breakfast, check the bike over, a tank of fuel, and back on the road listening to the pipes echo off their surroundings.

Even though most of my trips have been solitary, I've never felt myself wishing for company. In fact someone traveling alone by motorcycle always draws plenty of people. People want to know where you're going, how long you've been on the road, and talk about your bike.

Do it if you can. It's a wonderful experience.

That documentary about Rush was pretty good wasn't it? Peart had a lot to work out after the death of his wife and daughter. He seems so withdrawn when compared to the others. One memorable scene was when Lee and Lifeson boarded the jet to make it to the next show. Peart was strangely absent, then they showed he and his GS traveling down the road, choosing to take the long way instead.
Terry

That's a great documentary on Rush, I've watched it a couple times. Really sincere and humble guys, far too under-rated in the history of music.

Your bike journey thread sparked my curiosity so I reserved a copy of Neil Peart's first book at my library. It's too cold to ride here now, but perhaps this will get me to take my trip sooner rather than later. i didn't know that he had written a second motorcycle travels books only a few years ago, so I'll have to check that out once I finish the first.

As to the traveling, I do have a seat pack that could hold ~2-3 days of clothes. I'll have to check out some routes, but one road at the top of my list is Skyline Drive along the Appalachian Mountains in Virginia.

One thing I should also mention is some of my wife's relatives in Pennsylvania would go up to eastern Canada every winter to tour on their snowmobiles. They would travel during the day and spend the night in small towns and villages. They had a great time every year, people in the villages and towns were always friendly. Many of the town's would have huge ice sculptures in the center of town or parks. This trips would last 4-5 days and they'd cover almost a thousand miles.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:01 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
Terry

That's a great documentary on Rush, I've watched it a couple times. Really sincere and humble guys, far too under-rated in the history of music.

Your bike journey thread sparked my curiosity so I reserved a copy of Neil Peart's first book at my library. It's too cold to ride here now, but perhaps this will get me to take my trip sooner rather than later. i didn't know that he had written a second motorcycle travels books only a few years ago, so I'll have to check that out once I finish the first.

As to the traveling, I do have a seat pack that could hold ~2-3 days of clothes. I'll have to check out some routes, but one road at the top of my list is Skyline Drive along the Appalachian Mountains in Virginia.

One thing I should also mention is some of my wife's relatives in Pennsylvania would go up to eastern Canada every winter to tour on their snowmobiles. They would travel during the day and spend the night in small towns and villages. They had a great time every year, people in the villages and towns were always friendly. Many of the town's would have huge ice sculptures in the center of town or parks. This trips would last 4-5 days and they'd cover almost a thousand miles.

Yeah, you have to make sure you have enough clothes and supplies depending on the trips you make. A number of times I've been days from home, traveling through some mountain range, when I'll see a gravel road going to nowhere. On a whim, sometimes I'll take it, ending up in beautiful, desolate locations. As long as the tank is full I'm never worried where I'll end up.

One such place with one of my KLRs. Nearly six gallons of fuel and outfitted for offroad travel, we've seen some remarkable things.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:22 AM
Three Wheelin'

Would you ever take the bike you're building for an extended trip?
no quite sure yet. i would have no problem taking it about an hour outside austin but any further and it would get uncomfortable quick. the riding position is pretty rough with clip ons. i have plenty of confidence in the motor but not my back. the ducati however has been on some long daily cruises, ~12 hours.

that's a nice KLR!
Old 02-17-2012, 12:39 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by distortedolskool
no quite sure yet. i would have no problem taking it about an hour outside austin but any further and it would get uncomfortable quick. the riding position is pretty rough with clip ons. i have plenty of confidence in the motor but not my back. the ducati however has been on some long daily cruises, ~12 hours.

that's a nice KLR!

Yeah, there's something magical about taking any Duc out for an extended period. What type do you have? A few years ago I considered going with a Multistrada, but ended up going with a European Honda Varadero instead.

Thanks. I have a couple KLRs in the stable now. The one pictured was purchased after I destroyed my 2000 KLR in 2004, and was actually stripped entirely down to the frame when it had about ten miles on it so I could use it as template while rebuilding the frame for the 2000.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:52 AM
Moderator Alumnus

From an extended trip a few years ago.

An ocean lady, forgotten and slowly decaying, but still beautiful and majestic.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:34 AM
Corn-Fed Mule

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is definitely something the wife and I plan on doing, but not on our sportbikes...way too unconfortable. The plan is to try to purchase much more comfortable bikes(Triumph Speed Triple or Honda Valkyrie Rune for me, Suzuki M109 or Honda Fury for her) within the next couple of years and do it then. We're in Texas, so like Distortedoldskool said, it will take a bit of time just to get out of the state. Gotta hit the Tail of the Dragon in this lifetime. Best of luck on your trip, Teranfon and happy riding...
Old 02-17-2012, 10:59 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Thanks jim165

I really hope you and wife get to take a trip within a few years. I've never owned a sportbike, but imagine they wouldn't be the most comfortable things for prolonged touring.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Yeah, there's something magical about taking any Duc out for an extended period. What type do you have? A few years ago I considered going with a Multistrada, but ended up going with a European Honda Varadero instead.

Thanks. I have a couple KLRs in the stable now. The one pictured was purchased after I destroyed my 2000 KLR in 2004, and was actually stripped entirely down to the frame when it had about ten miles on it so I could use it as template while rebuilding the frame for the 2000.
2008 s2r 1000
i have some 2" bar risers which make a hell of a difference for longer rides. either way the multistrada or other tourer would be much more comfortable.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:42 PM
AZ Community Team

Yeah, you have to make sure you have enough clothes and supplies depending on the trips you make. A number of times I've been days from home, traveling through some mountain range, when I'll see a gravel road going to nowhere. On a whim, sometimes I'll take it, ending up in beautiful, desolate locations. As long as the tank is full I'm never worried where I'll end up.

One such place with one of my KLRs. Nearly six gallons of fuel and outfitted for offroad travel, we've seen some remarkable things.
Nice pics, I also thought you had at one time a Honda TransAlp or some other Honda that was a dual purpose bike?
Old 02-21-2012, 01:38 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
Nice pics, I also thought you had at one time a Honda TransAlp or some other Honda that was a dual purpose bike?
I love the Honda TransAlps and the old Africa Twins. The Honda I have now is a Varadero. The Varadero is a 1000 cc twin "traillie". Popular in Europe where people blast down the Autostrada at one moment and then follow some goat path the next. They generally have reinforced frames, long suspension travel, long fuel range, and tires designed for both high speed running and limited offroad capability. Think of it as an extra large TransAlp.

Not available in the US and only Canada for a very short time. In fact in was Honda Canada that bought a limited number of German spec bikes and had them outfitted for a few Canadians that wanted them. I waited for a year for mine, and it was the first to be delivered to anyone. It was weird riding it for awhile, as it was for all intents and purposes the only one being ridden in North America.