most underrated/overrated cars?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 07:45 PM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This could go all the way to the top, Water-S was the guy in the grassy knoll.
Old 05-31-2006, 09:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Overated:
Jaguar XJ - been in one, wasn't too impressed, looks like FoMoCo had a hand in the interior.
Lexus IS, ES, and GS - way way overrated. The IS is supposed to be a "SPORT sedan" yet VDIM shuts you down before you even start to have fun. Not to mention that a loaded IS350 is ridiculously priced. ES is a floaty barge (can't comment on the JUST released gen) but as far as previous gens were concerned, it was a Camry with a frock. If you want an ES, buy a Camry. The interior on the GS doesn't look like it belongs in a 60k sedan.
Ferrari Enzo - Sorry, im sure ill draw plenty of enemy's with this one, but for some reason, I feel this car is heavily overated. It was supposed to be the biggest, baddest supercar ever, yet it can't even match the top speed of the then ten year old McLaren F1.
Toyota Camry - I'm sure its dead reliable, but it doesn't drive so much as float. It's body roll in your average corner is comical. Again, I can't comment on the just released new gen, but only on previous gens.
Porsche Cayman - a boxster with a hardtop and a retuned engine. And somehow Porsche thinks that it means they can charge close to $70k for a decently optioned one.
Acura Integra - POS interior, that didn't befit anything with an Acura badge.

Underrated:
Acura RSX - often draws criticism for being a young-uns car, but I think in stock from its a competent fun-to-drive coupe.
Saab 9-3 - a very nice car with unique flavor and attitude that is often overlooked. Gotta love the elastic slingshot personality of its turbo 4's and its midrange pull. The vert's are even better.
Mazda Millenia - competent car that was often overlooked.
Volvo S60R - another badass sports sedan that is often overlooked
Audi 3.2TT - a personal favorite of mine, but TT's are often looked at as chic cars. You'd be surprised at what a 3.2 VR6, a DSG tranny and a sport package can do to the car. It completely transforms it into an awesome, awesome machine.
VW Phaeton - Fantastic car and design philosphy overshadowed by brand image and staid exterior styling.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:52 PM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by vishnus11
Overated:
Jaguar XJ - been in one, wasn't too impressed, looks like FoMoCo had a hand in the interior.
Lexus IS, ES, and GS - way way overrated. The IS is supposed to be a "SPORT sedan" yet VDIM shuts you down before you even start to have fun. Not to mention that a loaded IS350 is ridiculously priced. ES is a floaty barge (can't comment on the JUST released gen) but as far as previous gens were concerned, it was a Camry with a frock. If you want an ES, buy a Camry. The interior on the GS doesn't look like it belongs in a 60k sedan.
Ferrari Enzo - Sorry, im sure ill draw plenty of enemy's with this one, but for some reason, I feel this car is heavily overated. It was supposed to be the biggest, baddest supercar ever, yet it can't even match the top speed of the then ten year old McLaren F1.
Toyota Camry - I'm sure its dead reliable, but it doesn't drive so much as float. It's body roll in your average corner is comical. Again, I can't comment on the just released new gen, but only on previous gens.
Porsche Cayman - a boxster with a hardtop and a retuned engine. And somehow Porsche thinks that it means they can charge close to $70k for a decently optioned one.
Acura Integra - POS interior, that didn't befit anything with an Acura badge.

Underrated:
Acura RSX - often draws criticism for being a young-uns car, but I think in stock from its a competent fun-to-drive coupe.
Saab 9-3 - a very nice car with unique flavor and attitude that is often overlooked. Gotta love the elastic slingshot personality of its turbo 4's and its midrange pull. The vert's are even better.
Mazda Millenia - competent car that was often overlooked.
Volvo S60R - another badass sports sedan that is often overlooked
Audi 3.2TT - a personal favorite of mine, but TT's are often looked at as chic cars. You'd be surprised at what a 3.2 VR6, a DSG tranny and a sport package can do to the car. It completely transforms it into an awesome, awesome machine.
VW Phaeton - Fantastic car and design philosphy overshadowed by brand image and staid exterior styling.
Old 06-01-2006, 04:48 AM
GEEZER

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,418 Posts
Originally Posted by Water-S
hey stupid ass if you knew anything about farming you'd know #1. you don't plant the entire farm in one crop
#2. you most farms don't have "just grain"they have for example dairy,beef, pork,chicken or turkey. so the estimates you gave are off. so i'm not OWNED.
you've never stepped foot on a farm so you don't have clue what you're talking about so you can go the to hell and fuck yourself 1killercls.

Post some pics of that beautiful family of yours you liar.
Old 06-01-2006, 04:49 AM
GEEZER

Originally Posted by Crazy Sellout

Unless hes trying to get this thread closed so he doesnt get owned more.
I wont close it..it appears by his response he is about to break..
Old 06-01-2006, 04:50 AM
GEEZER

whatever city boy who's never seen a farm. go milk your bull.
you still avoid answering any posts..what gives?
Old 06-01-2006, 05:12 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gezzz how did I miss one.... .LOL

Game - Set - Match

Old 06-01-2006, 05:27 AM
GEEZER

Originally Posted by F900
Gezzz how did I miss one.... .LOL

Game - Set - Match

Old 06-02-2006, 04:47 AM
GEEZER

see...avoiding posts again...
Old 06-02-2006, 06:03 AM
Go Giants

Received 1,233 Likes on 823 Posts
it was a joke jackass, your a royal piece of shit. You're an ass bag who needs to die you worthless sack of shit.
Old 06-02-2006, 07:23 AM
GEEZER

Originally Posted by Whiskers
Pretty harsh for a nice farm boy don't ya think?
Old 06-02-2006, 02:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by JackieO
The orange guages are ass, but the '05/'06 G35 interior is actually pretty nice aside from those. The real aluminium trim and new clock center gauge cluster is really what did it. Aside from the guages it definitely holds it's own with anything else in it's segment. Maybe not the best, but not the worst and not terrible. One thing to note, as a detailer I get to see the insides of a lot of cars and see how they age, and one thing the G35 interior has that a lot of others don't is durabilty. You'll almost never hear of leather cracking, dash fade, trim peel, headliner drooping, etc... in a G35. In any event it's a 4 year old car and is getting a new interior, so that'll be the end of that. For the price you definitely get a buttload of car.

Anyway, my list:

Overrated: Almost any Audi aside from an S4/RS4, especially the A3. Most Mercedes (anything with a 6cyl or less, basically). 2nd gen Lexus IS and the newer GS's, the new 3 series. Toyota Camry's (ya, I said it), Nissan Altimas, and yes, Acura TL's, 300C's, GTI's, Solstice.

Underrated: Mazdaspeeds and the regular Mazda6, Acura RSX/TSX, The new Xterra, Infiniti Q, Honda Accords, Acura RL, almost any new Hyundai, GTO, BMW Z's, MX-5's, Maximas.
, I wrote that thinking you might find this thread lol. I agree dude. Good call on the Infiniti Q and Hyundai.
Old 06-02-2006, 02:14 PM
Burn some dust here

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
the new 3 series. Toyota Camry's (ya, I said it), Nissan Altimas, and yes, Acura TL's, 300C's, GTI's, Solstice.
Just curious but have you driven either the new 3-series or Camry? I drove both a few weeks ago and was surprised at how much both companies improved them over the previous model.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cob3683
Just curious but have you driven either the new 3-series or Camry? I drove both a few weeks ago and was surprised at how much both companies improved them over the previous model.
Funny you mention that. If it weren't for the 5 minute edit rule I'd take the 3-series off that list. Why? I've been driving an '06 330i around for the last 48 hours and have put ~500km on it and am enjoying it *thoroughly*. Originally when I drove one it had active steering and was an auto, I also didn't know about "sport mode". The one I am driving now is manual with none of the gizmo-y shit and is much more fun, very agile, doesn't feel at all like it weighs ~3,400lbs, like no body roll. Interior is kind of meh (and that's from a G35 owner), I'm still not sold on the rear, but I'd definitely take it off my list over over-rated cars. I think it's rated just fine now that I've given it a second chance. We own an '02 330i so I think I was too busy comparing the first '06 I drove to it (and finding flaws) to realize the improvements they made. Now that I've had this one for a few days I'm definitely feeling the suspension improvements.

Regarding the Camry, I have driven one and wasn't disappointed, but I have the opposite impression you're getting from it; it feels like a let-down considering the last gen. Not that the last gen was anything special, but this one just didn't do anything for me. Way too lethargic, interior layout bothered me, I'm not a big fan of the exterior styling. I'd rather own an Accord. Just imo, of course.
Old 06-02-2006, 07:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

JackieO: why do you think that the Solstice, 300C and the TL are overrated?
Old 06-02-2006, 09:16 PM
Nom Nom Nom Nom

Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts
hey stupid ass if you knew anything about farming you'd know #1. you don't plant the entire farm in one crop
#2. you most farms don't have "just grain"they have for example dairy,beef, pork,chicken or turkey. so the estimates you gave are off. so i'm not OWNED.
you've never stepped foot on a farm so you don't have clue what you're talking about so you can go the to hell and fuck yourself 1killercls.
Water, just STFU already...Everyone is getting tired of your incoherant babble.

Both of your examples are the same damn thing. FYI people DO have "just grain" farms you ignorant fool. We (my family) currently owns and has owned a farm for a lot longer than I have been around in Sask. We were/still are a "just grain" farm with no livestock.

Shit for brains, you did get ...
Old 06-02-2006, 09:36 PM
Suzuka Master

One by one all the farmers start crawling out of the woodwork.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vishnus11
JackieO: why do you think that the Solstice, 300C and the TL are overrated?
I'll get the TL out of the way early - that was a pot shot. I'm a G35 owner, I'm supposed to stick my tongue out at FWD cars. All kidding aside it's a nice car, but I've never been super blown away by it. I am a big RWD fan though so that probably explains it.

The 300C is easy. It rides like a heavy pig, which is fine considering it's a heavy pig (what, 4200lbs?) - but even so, they could've made it more comfortable and just given up on any sport. Instead they tried to make it "sort of sporty" and in the end all they got was a semi-uncomfortable ride and crappy handling. Nevermind that I dislike the interior and exterior. The engine is ok though (the 5.7).

The Solstice only because I like the Miata so much. I am just not a fan of the styling (like the Sky better), I think the ride is too soft for a two seater, and their still working out kinks with the roof, lack of cargo space (ya, I get it's a two seater, but look at the Miata). That and I think the engine is under-powered. When the more pwerful version is introduced maybe I will change my tune.

Keep in mind I am not saying any of these are bad cars. I'd actually own a Solstice; I just think given their respective competition and my perceived ranking of them amongst the masses, I think they're overrated.

BTW I read your list and if I could add the 9-3 to my underrateds I would. I totally agree.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SpeedyV6
One by one all the farmers start crawling out of the woodwork.
so what'll it take to get the lumberjacks to this party?
Old 06-02-2006, 10:30 PM
Suzuka Master

I'll get the TL out of the way early - that was a pot shot. I'm a G35 owner, I'm supposed to stick my tongue out at FWD cars. All kidding aside it's a nice car, but I've never been super blown away by it. I am a big RWD fan though so that probably explains it.

The 300C is easy. It rides like a heavy pig, which is fine considering it's a heavy pig (what, 4200lbs?) - but even so, they could've made it more comfortable and just given up on any sport. Instead they tried to make it "sort of sporty" and in the end all they got was a semi-uncomfortable ride and crappy handling. Nevermind that I dislike the interior and exterior. The engine is ok though (the 5.7).

The Solstice only because I like the Miata so much. I am just not a fan of the styling (like the Sky better), I think the ride is too soft for a two seater, and their still working out kinks with the roof, lack of cargo space (ya, I get it's a two seater, but look at the Miata). That and I think the engine is under-powered. When the more pwerful version is introduced maybe I will change my tune.

Keep in mind I am not saying any of these are bad cars. I'd actually own a Solstice; I just think given their respective competition and my perceived ranking of them amongst the masses, I think they're overrated.

BTW I read your list and if I could add the 9-3 to my underrateds I would. I totally agree.
I think the reason that the solstice and 300C are so "hyped" is because people are so excited (or surprised) by the fact that domestics are starting to put out "appealing" products again. Under any other circumstance (had the domestics been putting out appealing cars for a long time), these 2 cars would not be so overrated and/or hyped.

As for the TL, I think it's rated just right if not slightly underrated...not an underachiever and not overly hyped for what it offers in its respective market...it may deserve a little more credit for what it offers.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:06 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,852 Likes on 2,589 Posts
I've seen the solstice before.

Sat in one at the car show. Saw and fell in love with the GXP model at the car show.

And today I saw two brand new silver ones at the mall.

All I can say is that the Pontiac Solstice makes me drool like a hungry baby waiting for its mother's teet.
Old 06-03-2006, 12:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

good reasoning. I think powerwise, the 300C (hemi) is a smokin deal. Same goes for the SRT-8 version. Jsut my
Old 06-03-2006, 12:14 AM
The Third Ball

Received 4,852 Likes on 2,589 Posts
I havent driven a 300C...but I have driven a Magnum R/T and its fast but yes big and boaty, floaty...not a very stiff suspension.

Then, I drove the SRT....Night and Day difference...for a car that big and heavy it was blazing fast and handled on rails.
Old 06-03-2006, 01:21 AM
Best D-Line in the NFL

Location: Gainesville, Fl for college, Palm Beach Gardens, Fl at Home
Underrated: Civic Si, GTO, Corvette, Cobalt SS
Overrated: M-B C class, Bentley, Porsche Boxter & 911, Lexus GS, Cadillac CTS
Man oh man, a 911 isn't overrated, it's classic beauty with performance, you sir are
Old 06-03-2006, 09:14 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Amoeba
Man oh man, a 911 isn't overrated, it's classic beauty with performance, you sir are
A stock 911 is barely any faster than an M3 and is slower than a 'Vette. Too much money for too little car.
Old 06-03-2006, 09:58 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mrdeeno
I think the reason that the solstice and 300C are so "hyped" is because people are so excited (or surprised) by the fact that domestics are starting to put out "appealing" products again. Under any other circumstance (had the domestics been putting out appealing cars for a long time), these 2 cars would not be so overrated and/or hyped.

As for the TL, I think it's rated just right if not slightly underrated...not an underachiever and not overly hyped for what it offers in its respective market...it may deserve a little more credit for what it offers.
Ya, I can see that (re: the domestics); I just think some of the hype is a littke un-warranted. Sure, it's nice that they're putting out half-decent cars, but the Solstice for example, is sub-par to the Miata in almost every way (imo), except perhaps styling. The Miata's interior is better, it's had 5 gens to refine the way the roof works (one hand, sitting down, so easy), it has a trunk, and most importantly it handles better and has a more responsive engine (in terms of weight/power). You know what it is? I see people comparing the Solstice to a Boxster and Boxster-S (which I agree aren't super inspiring), but come on. The Solstice is a decent enough cruiser (as long as you don't want to have a drink in it), but meh.

The TL; maybe it's a market thing? Around here people love the TL, there are a buttload of them and it's a highly respected car (as it should be), there just seem to be a lot of guys around here that think it's some sporty-race car, and no offense to them but (here we go), a FWD ~3500lb car is not sporty. It makes a great semi-powerful family cruiser with a nice interior and lots of tech gadgetry, but it's closer to a Camry than an M3.

Originally Posted by The Sarlacc
I havent driven a 300C...but I have driven a Magnum R/T and its fast but yes big and boaty, floaty...not a very stiff suspension.

Then, I drove the SRT....Night and Day difference...for a car that big and heavy it was blazing fast and handled on rails.
That's what I am saying. The 5.7L engine moves the 300C quickly, but the thing *feels* like a 4500lbs rock on wheels (which it is). Steering is so over-boosted and at the same time the engineers decided they would sacrifice ride quality for a little "sport", so it's not even the most comfortable cruiser. If they'd suck it up and go with a super soft suspension it'd almost be better off; just accept it's a cruiser and not a sports car.
Old 06-03-2006, 10:25 AM
Suzuka Master

That's what I am saying. The 5.7L engine moves the 300C quickly, but the thing *feels* like a 4500lbs rock on wheels (which it is). Steering is so over-boosted and at the same time the engineers decided they would sacrifice ride quality for a little "sport", so it's not even the most comfortable cruiser. If they'd suck it up and go with a super soft suspension it'd almost be better off; just accept it's a cruiser and not a sports car.
If you're unhappy with a 300C try a 300Touring. It has a very cushy suspension and transmits very little road noise. It makes for a great highway cruiser or a decent car for the daily commute if your city has a lot of pothole strewn roads.
Old 06-03-2006, 11:15 AM
Nom Nom Nom Nom

A stock 911 is barely any faster than an M3 and is slower than a 'Vette. Too much money for too little car.
Apperently you have never driven one.
Old 06-03-2006, 11:23 AM
Suzuka Master

Are we getting off topic...I thought this thread concerned farming techniques???
Old 06-03-2006, 11:29 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by SwervinCL
Apperently you have never driven one.
I'm guessing you haven't driven n M3 or a current generation 'Vette. I have ridden in 911's and once drove an old 911. The car is still overrated and overpriced.
Old 06-03-2006, 12:37 PM
Burn some dust here

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
This is a tough call since all 3 reside in my top 6-7 cars but I would take the 911 over both the M3 and Vette. With the next M3 pushing closer and closer to $70,000, the Vette solidifies it's place as the "best buy" of the group. The M speaks for itself and this next one is going to be even better than the E46 version.
However, outside of a Ferrari, there is nothing like the sound of a 911. It could be classified as "instant-wood" when driving.

Is it "overrated?" I could go as far as saying it is the least desireable of the 911's.....but my brain, heart, and dick would never allow me to call that car overrated.
Old 06-03-2006, 11:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by cob3683
This is a tough call since all 3 reside in my top 6-7 cars but I would take the 911 over both the M3 and Vette. With the next M3 pushing closer and closer to $70,000, the Vette solidifies it's place as the "best buy" of the group. The M speaks for itself and this next one is going to be even better than the E46 version.
However, outside of a Ferrari, there is nothing like the sound of a 911. It could be classified as "instant-wood" when driving.

Is it "overrated?" I could go as far as saying it is the least desireable of the 911's.....but my brain, heart, and dick would never allow me to call that car overrated.

An uncle of mine has an 89 911 and a 91 928 - got me hooked on Porsches and after reading about some of the engineering that goes into those vehicles, there's no way you can say that its overrated. Heck if you want to go "by the numbers" the 911 handily outdid both the M6 and the V8 Vantage in the Topgear test on the Isle of man. I think the Vantage V8 and the M6 both went round in 1:35 while the 911 was a whole 6 seconds quicker. This was all in the wet. Gives you an idea of the kind of confidence the car inspires.

I also like the fact that 911's have a pseudo backseat. Pitiful, yes - in fact probably the worst backseat I've ever seen - but at least it'll work in a pinch.
Old 06-03-2006, 11:46 PM
Nom Nom Nom Nom

I'm guessing you haven't driven n M3 or a current generation 'Vette. I have ridden in 911's and once drove an old 911. The car is still overrated and overpriced.
No i have not driven either. I drove a 2003 Carrera. There is just something about that car that I cant even describe.
Old 06-04-2006, 12:35 AM
Best D-Line in the NFL

You don't buy the 911 just based on 1/4 mile times (ricer), I think you have to consider the eloquence, classic styling, and outstanding handling performance....

An M3 is not big deal styling wise, when you see it, you aren't that impressed, not to mention a porsche will outhandle it anyday.

A vette is a classic hick car, with shitty American Quality....

I'm sorry but for anyone to say that a Porsche 911 is overrated, I find that to be ridicolous.

Last edited by Amoeba; 06-04-2006 at 12:37 AM.
Old 06-04-2006, 12:37 AM
Best D-Line in the NFL

At least some others here realize that its more than just the numbers, porsches drive incredibly, and with the sport exhaust sound amazing!
Old 06-04-2006, 01:09 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
I agree with everyone else,......Porsches (incl. the 911) are SWEET and they are NOT over-rated. To suggest they are is insanity IMO.
Old 06-04-2006, 10:10 AM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Originally Posted by West6MT
I agree with everyone else,......Porsches (incl. the 911) are SWEET and they are NOT over-rated. To suggest they are is insanity IMO.
Big effen

I have driven plenty of 911's and the latest generation impresses me still. I was fortunate enough to spend some quality time behinde the wheel of a new 997 carrera S a few months back and that car is down right sublime. Everytime I got out of the car I had to stop and stare at it, when behind the wheel it was, to me, near perfect. I prefer driving a 911 over most ferrari's(360's on down the line, but not up), its more reliable and less of a gawk magnet, thus I feel more comfortable and safe driving it. If I didn't mind spending that much on a car at this point in my life I would be all over a 997 Carrera 4S as my daily driver, just an amazing car.
Old 06-04-2006, 02:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by West6MT

I agree.

Anyone that thinks the 911 even in base form is over-rated needs to get familiar with two words: "path accuracy". Porsche has taken a stupid chassis design and made it sublime through stubborn engineering. "Ass engined Nazi slot car" indeed, as P. J. opined, though he felt this was disparaging I think it is accurate. Now I am not a pure P-car fan boy and think they only still make 2 "real" Porsches, the GT3 and GT3RS but the 911's "goodness" is so abundant even the base Carrera 2 is sufficient to smck down all but the elite of the car word in driving experience.

BTW Water-s wasn't the receiver of ownage, more like bonage, pure unadulterated bonage from a 2000lb bull, sans lube and heavy on the grit. A word to the wise, you have 3 options:

1. beg, borrow or steal a digital camera and get some "proof", even a picture of a spilled can of Jolly Green Giant niblets would place you better than you stand now

2. make a new screen name and try another approach, maybe this time you could "be" lumberjack with a R1

3. just leave

My guess he is the son of a farmer, far removed from the finances of the family farm, with plans to take over said farm in X years but if he doesn't aquaint himself with the monetary matters of the farm prior to "taking over" this farm will go the way of so many other family farms... right into the crapper.