Most hated car company is...

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 05:10 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
only Honda would come up with a fancy name for something that was introduced by everyone else 5 years ago.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:13 PM
Ex-OEM King

Received 6,101 Likes on 4,004 Posts
Honda/Acura just need to get back into the game with a new S2000, Integra, Civic Type R (for the US market at least), TLX Type S and that sort of thing. These cars clearly sell for EVERY OTHER MAKE so why wouldn't they sell for Honda?

Subaru/Scion are selling oodles of FRS/BRZ models, they can hardly keep them on the lot these days. A new S2k would fit perfectly in this slot and it would, hopefully, be a convertible to make it that much more fun.

Ford is selling tons of the ST, VW has been selling tons of GTI's for decades, Hyundai would have sold tons of the Veloster Turbo had it not been slow, the WRX/STi is sold out in all of the dealers around my home, etc. A new Integra and/or a Civic Type R would fit in perfect in this market.

All of the luxury makes have a performance arm that sells tons, BMW is selling tons of new M3/M4 and ditto for MB. Lexus will start selling tons of ISF models as soon as they replace it with the next gen IS body. Nissan is going to kill it with the Q50 (or whatever it's called these days) Eau Rouge. At the very least a TLX Type S would be excellent here, a Type R would be better still.

Why Honda refuses to tap into these markets is beyond me. They are still gun shy from the recession and don't want to risk it that people will continue to have as much money as they do now to spend on fast, powerful cars.
The following users liked this post:
RPhilMan1 (08-29-2014)
Old 08-28-2014, 05:17 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BlueAc
Audi A6 here I come, and I wanted to like the TLX so bad too.
I did the same thing, I was tired of waiting for the TLX, and couldn't stomach driving the RLX on a daily basis, so I picked up an A6, and haven't looked back!
The following users liked this post:
BlueAc (08-28-2014)
Old 08-28-2014, 05:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcelechka
Fixed.
no I had it right the first time....
Old 08-29-2014, 08:44 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
I was surprised when I read this (elsewhere).

Dissatisfaction for BMW and Audi sales don't reflect in their sales. Although I unseat and the perpetuating myth that every BMW is a money pit.

And I have no idea why people would be dissatisfied with Acura ownership. Test drive the car; like it, buy it. Can't be anything having to do with the dealership network. Doesn't make sense.

As for me I bought another Infiniti, there didn't seem to be enough draw in the TLX for me; I didn't even bother with BMW this time around. I like infiniti's combination of performance and luxury and the looks of their vehicles have really grown on me. Acura has a combination of luxury and performance, which their is nothing wrong with but I like the "p" to come first.

Last edited by g37guy01; 08-29-2014 at 08:53 AM.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:58 AM
Living the Dream

Received 130 Likes on 71 Posts
Family owns 1 Acura, 1 Jeep and 1 Dodge...

However, this is my last Acura ('06 TSX). The only model that interests me is the MDX, but it doesn't fit my needs. Looking at a VW as my next car.

I am personally not a fan of Chrysler products, but the wife's uncle owned a DCJ dealership (now works as a salesman at another dealership) so we bought her Liberty and the family van from him at good prices...
Old 08-29-2014, 10:25 AM
Registered Bike Offender

Received 843 Likes on 625 Posts
Something from a basic operations management course: to be the leader in an market or industry, you either have to offer a product that is different/superior than your competition, or offer the same product for less cost. I am aware that it's actually more complex than this, but Acura is doing neither of these things. Their cars are not necessarily any better or different than their competitors in the market they are targeting. And they aren't doing it for cheap either! Maybe this is a gross oversimplification, but I really don't think you get a lot of bang/buck with a new Acura at all, which seems to be the platform that made it such a great brand in the previous decades. Acura just, is. It's confused. It's trying to target the luxury market with a product that is comparable in value to 'lesser' brands like Subaru, Honda, Ford, etc. And I certainly can't fault them for not targeting the enthusiast market with sport trim versions and manual transmissions: if it was more profitable, I'm sure they would. Another basic theory of business: get rid of your least profitable item because it costs the most to even keep it on your product list. Boom, shareholder value.

Remember that advert for Saturn many years ago where a bunch of cardboard boxes were driving around? New Acuras are exactly that.

Originally Posted by neuronbob
I like the TLX. It's got potential. Imagine it with a 6MT and a J37. Or a 2.4 turbo and a 6 MT..
The key word is imagine.

Originally Posted by g37guy01
And I have no idea why people would be dissatisfied with Acura ownership. Test drive the car; like it, buy it. Can't be anything having to do with the dealership network. Doesn't make sense.
I have a theory. These folks walk into a dealer, test drive it, like it, buy it. As time goes on, they start to realize they could have gotten a better car for the same price or a similar car for less. Better being subjective of course, there are faster, more luxurious, more fuel efficient, better looking cars for less money. I don't think they're dissatisfied with the actual cars, I think they're dissatisfied with the amount of value they get for their money.

Last edited by Vlad_Type_S; 08-29-2014 at 10:27 AM.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:50 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Originally Posted by Vlad_Type_S
I don't think they're dissatisfied with the actual cars, I think they're dissatisfied with the amount of value they get for their money.
That's because cars are ridiculously overpriced these days.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:52 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by Sarlacc
bingo
Did you happen to note the tie for third least liked between Jeep/Audi?
Old 08-29-2014, 11:12 AM
Go Giants

Received 1,235 Likes on 824 Posts
Originally Posted by blakura
I did the same thing, I was tired of waiting for the TLX, and couldn't stomach driving the RLX on a daily basis, so I picked up an A6, and haven't looked back!
Hey, me too!
Old 08-29-2014, 01:39 PM
Registered Bike Offender

Received 843 Likes on 625 Posts
Originally Posted by chill_dog
That's because cars are ridiculously overpriced these days.

The price isn't really the bottom line tho, right? I mean, isn't the point to get your money's worth out of it? The ILX costs ~6k more than a Civic (nav models on both). What do you get for 6k? Worse gas mileage, a couple more HP, a slightly better sound system, and keyless handles. I'll take the Civic and spend my 6k on a new motorcycle, and have loads more fun than the guy with the ILX enjoying his extra speaker.

What makes a car great? You fall in love with it! It has personality, character. Falling in love with a new Acura is like getting excited for going back to school shopping, or getting a new stapler in your office. It's great at first because it's new, but you quickly realize it's totally boring and now you're stuck with it because it's a bad financial decision to replace it. If you're going to have something boring, it shouldn't cost as much as the actually exciting alternatives.

Also noteworthy, cars in USA are much much cheaper to own than in many other parts of the world.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,247 Likes on 4,858 Posts
I can admit I am getting tired of defending Acura. The fact that a SH-AWD RLX isn't out before the TLX is inexcusable. The fact that the TLX doesn't have a 6MT is excusable in the luxury market but is inexcusable with any Honda fan.

I can get a fucking Ford Taurus with a twin turbo V6. Grandpa's Caddilac now offers a TT V6 BELOW a S/C V8. Acura had a chance with the SH-AWD RLX to get a powerful, economical sedan to market before the rest. Cadillac just smashed that. They better get an NSX out the door, or everyone is going to laugh harder than they already are. If they have ANY sense, they will take the TT V6 from the racing TLX and offer it to us with a 6MT. But I won't hold my breath.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:19 PM

Received 5,934 Likes on 2,927 Posts
Originally Posted by Vlad_Type_S
Falling in love with a new Acura is like getting excited for going back to school shopping, or getting a new stapler in your office.
Old 08-29-2014, 04:08 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
Originally Posted by oo7spy
I can admit I am getting tired of defending Acura. The fact that a SH-AWD RLX isn't out before the TLX is inexcusable. The fact that the TLX doesn't have a 6MT is excusable in the luxury market but is inexcusable with any Honda fan.

I can get a fucking Ford Taurus with a twin turbo V6. Grandpa's Caddilac now offers a TT V6 BELOW a S/C V8. Acura had a chance with the SH-AWD RLX to get a powerful, economical sedan to market before the rest. Cadillac just smashed that. They better get an NSX out the door, or everyone is going to laugh harder than they already are. If they have ANY sense, they will take the TT V6 from the racing TLX and offer it to us with a 6MT. But I won't hold my breath.
welcome to the reality.
Old 08-30-2014, 12:25 AM
08 MDX, 04 TL (sold)

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
There are 9 points in that study between the most and least hated car. I would hardly call that a huge gap.

It is more a testament to the fact that most cars are just fine, reasonably well engineered, and satisfying to most.
I was thinking exactly the same thing when I was looking at those numbers. Seemed to me that many times people are more disappointed based on expectations prior to buying. For example, BMW and Audi were on the less satisfied side of the spectrum. Probably because their owners expected a lot.

Right now I own a Kia. I am very satisfied with it because it was a great value and has delivered everything I expected. I absolutely know that a BMW is a better vehicle, but I'm still very satisfied with my Kia because of my expectations and price paid going into it.
Old 08-30-2014, 12:29 AM
The Third Ball

Received 4,967 Likes on 2,645 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Marco
Did you happen to note the tie for third least liked between Jeep/Audi?
Did you happen to read any of my other replies...