The modern society

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 06:49 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Originally Posted by TylerT
As I got it to a reasonable speed, I ran around to the driverside and hopped in, engaged 1st gear, and popped the clutch ...

Mercifully, I got it going and looked like a total lunatic
Note for the future (should you ever need it); second gear works best for the roll-start.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:40 AM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,102 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by Flipster23
I know people who buy manuals without knowing how to drive them. I had a friend who lived in San Francisco and learned how to drive manual there.
I learned to drive a manual on an employer's Toyota pickup in San Francisco in the 1980s-- had to deliver some small carpets to a place on Nob Hill that first day with the pickup.
Actually only stalled the truck once, IIRC, and that was at the warehouse where I was working during the summers and not on the hills.

My son is in college, but his 5-speed MR2 Spdyer is at the house, so I've been driving it around.
A manual is more fun than an auto, even in L.A. traffic.
The following 2 users liked this post by Will Y.:
CLpower (02-15-2018), teh CL (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 08:14 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
Fun =/= Fast... at least this seems to be the case with these high hp cars nowadays... you just need to get the power down to the ground and as a human you can't beat a computer... driving MT is a lost art and i hope to pass on that to my kids one day but with the direction that electric and self driving cars are going, i fear by the time they are ready to drive, everything will be uber... it is seriously the best theft deterrent out there and i probably have the most fun in my MR2... it's not fast by any means, but i have the Vagon for that... and sometimes fast can just be downright scary...
Old 02-15-2018, 07:00 PM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Received 946 Likes on 515 Posts
Originally Posted by Costco
It's mainly modern American society. If you go to Europe, 90% of vehicles there are manual, even the trucks and vans.
It's not quite as high a percentage as you say (I lived in Germany from 1996-2004 and 2011-2016. They definitely have a lot more manuals than autos, but autos are becoming more popular (given the traffic there).

The very small compact cars are mostly manuals there (think Volkswagon Up, Renault Clio etc...) Now the CLA from Mercedes could be had with a 6 speed (I drove one on a test drive, and it was a diesel) as well as the E class 2 door (E200 only), and the A3. BMW still offers a manual with their 3 series (all of them) and on the 520d car and wagon. Adi still offers a 6 speed in the A4 models as well, so there is a lot of choice.

But it's not 90%. My estimate would be about 60/40 Manual to Automatic. All the newer SUV's are autos, along with the bigger cars.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:58 PM
TellinItLikeItIsSince1/06

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by KaMLuNg
Fun =/= Fast... at least this seems to be the case with these high hp cars nowadays... you just need to get the power down to the ground and as a human you can't beat a computer... driving MT is a lost art and i hope to pass on that to my kids one day but with the direction that electric and self driving cars are going, i fear by the time they are ready to drive, everything will be uber... it is seriously the best theft deterrent out there and i probably have the most fun in my MR2... it's not fast by any means, but i have the Vagon for that... and sometimes fast can just be downright scary...
This is a good summary. Especially when talking about street use, FUN always trumps Fast. If you can run through the gears, hit redline, and take some spirited corners without having to reach crazy speeds, better off for all.

Also, when I was a young boy into cars, that was exactly my biggest worry - that when I finally got my license, there would be only automated cars. I think I cried once from the thought of not being able to drive a sports car.
The following users liked this post:
KaMLuNg (02-16-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 01:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by '01White3.2CL
This is a good summary. Especially when talking about street use, FUN always trumps Fast. If you can run through the gears, hit redline, and take some spirited corners without having to reach crazy speeds, better off for all.
^this exactly... with fast, we just don't have the roads to utilize it to the fullest potential... my cousin's husband who has a Ferrari California T always has it in the shop for a bent wheel or popped tire... the roads suck around this area and with the traffic, your window closes fast at high speeds... it's fun for the occasional 130 mph push... but even still you run out of road very quickly...

if we lived in Europe with the Autobahn then that's a bit different... but for half the year when snow tires are required, they aren't even speed rated for that kinda run...
Old 02-16-2018, 07:13 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
I've been driving a manual transmission for 30 years this year. I don't really care about 0-60 speed now being quicker in automatics or even if the MPG is better in automatics. I prefer rowing the gears because I feel like I am more in control of the car. I like the idea that I am in control of the downshift to make lane changes and pass slower vehicles on the highway instead of any delay or wait for the auto to make a decision. I like the idea that I can keep the transmission in an upper or highest gear going downhill instead of the automatic dictating that I'm a few MPH too slow for that gear.
We will see what happens but am guessing my next ride will be an automatic because options are so limited as we move forward.
Old 02-16-2018, 08:12 PM
Latent car nut

Originally Posted by NBP04TL4ME
I've been driving a manual transmission for 30 years this year. I don't really care about 0-60 speed now being quicker in automatics or even if the MPG is better in automatics. I prefer rowing the gears because I feel like I am more in control of the car. I like the idea that I am in control of the downshift to make lane changes and pass slower vehicles on the highway instead of any delay or wait for the auto to make a decision. I like the idea that I can keep the transmission in an upper or highest gear going downhill instead of the automatic dictating that I'm a few MPH too slow for that gear.
We will see what happens but am guessing my next ride will be an automatic because options are so limited as we move forward.
I agree with everything you wrote; when I travel and am forced to rent a car with an autotragic transmission, I am always annoyed when it either shifts when I don't want it it, or doesn't shift when I want it to. Even with the flippy-dippy flappy paddel thingies it isn't the same.

The good news for my wife and myself, we're old(ish); I figure we have maybe twenty to thirty years of driving left in our lives, and if I start stocking up on a few manual cars over the next few years, we should be good to go until we hang up our driver's licenses.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:40 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
Originally Posted by Joecop67
My kids didn't want to learn.
get them a car with manual and tell them to deal with it.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:45 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
My current 4GC is the first auto car since my 2001 CL-S and i have had about 10 cars in between and they were all 6mt. (1 first gen Scion xB 5mt)

The ZF8 is the best auto transmission i have tried in any car, it is not boring to drive and it gives you the "powershifting" feel when you go all out. But if BMW offers 4GC with 6mt tomorrow, i will ditch this shit today!
Old 02-20-2018, 01:12 PM
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by oonowindoo
get them a car with manual and tell them to deal with it.
Well, the oldest is 28 and the youngest is 25 and we didn’t get them a car. They drove what was at home and since we had 1 automatic and 1 manual, they chose to use the auto when they needed the car.
Neither one really drove till out of high school.

Last edited by Joecop67; 02-20-2018 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Grammar.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:18 PM
Latent car nut

Originally Posted by Joecop67

Well, the oldest is 28 and the youngest is 25 and we didn’t get them a car. They drove what was at home and since we had 1 automatic and 1 manual, they chose to use the auto when they needed the car.
Neither one really drove till out of high school.
When my neighbor's daughter turned 16 he bought her a car, with a manual of course, and said, "Here are the keys to your car; until you master driving that car, all other cars in the family are off limits."

Our son wasn't so lucky (or was exceedingly lucky from his perspective), we didn't own any cars with an automatic transmission at the time so he could take Mom's car or Dad's car, but he had to row his own regardless. He ended up teaching the neighbor girl how to drive the stick.
Old 02-20-2018, 02:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by horseshoez
When my neighbor's daughter turned 16 he bought her a car, with a manual of course, and said, "Here are the keys to your car; until you master driving that car, all other cars in the family are off limits."

Our son wasn't so lucky (or was exceedingly lucky from his perspective), we didn't own any cars with an automatic transmission at the time so he could take Mom's car or Dad's car, but he had to row his own regardless. He ended up teaching the neighbor girl how to drive the stick.
i hope he got compensated for those lessons...
The following users liked this post:
kurtatx (02-21-2018)
Old 02-20-2018, 02:22 PM
Latent car nut

Old 02-21-2018, 11:47 AM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts