milky trans fluid, bad radiator? 2001 4runner

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009 | 07:32 PM
registered pw

milky trans fluid, bad radiator? 2001 4runner

i tried to get info at yotatech and didn't get any feedback, sooooooo

my wifes 01 sport with 120k was shifting hard today. I checked the fluid and it was red and looked slightly milky. We had the trans fluid changed around 40k miles ago.

After searching, it seems like there could be corrosion in the radiator allowing the coolant to mix with the trans fluid. Would it be better to change out the radiator and do the coolant and trans flush? Or should i take it to the stealership and let them check it out?

I alsso checked the coolant and it does not smell like coolant. It is a bit greasy and smells like trans fluid.
Old 05-27-2009 | 08:39 PM
Moderator Alumnus

You're most likely correct in your assumption that the ATF fluid has been contaminated with coolant if it's milky in appearance. Many times the cooler for the transmission within the radiator deteriorates and coolant seeps into the lines. Now you have to determine how bad the contamination is and whether or not you have done any damage to the transmission. If the coolant itself is rather greasy, then it's safe to assume the radiator is indeed faulty and you're going to have to replace it anyway.

Try to find a replacement radiator. A good used one is fine. Swap it out and flush the cooling system. It's unlikely that any damage occurred to the engine itself. Fill with fresh coolant. It the replacement radiator is good, you will not contaminate the transmission fluid more than it already is. Next change the fluid and filter on the tranny and see how the car performs. Hopefully the damage isn't too severe. You'll know once you drive the car. If the car continues to shift hard or abruptly, then you clutch packs are finished. New transmission time.

Try this first and hope for the best.

edit: Do not drive the car any more than you have to. Hopefully the transmission didn't suffer too much heat related damage, but even if it hasn't, it certainly will if you drive it further in it's present condition.

Terry
Old 05-27-2009 | 08:48 PM
registered pw

thanks terry, i already ordered a radiator from rockauto for $120 shipped.I have almost 2 gallons of red coolant. The only thing i need to get is dextron III. The manual says it only uses a few quarts of fluid. For some reason i think it takes like 9 or 10, but i hope i'm wrong.
Old 05-27-2009 | 09:11 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by dallison
thanks terry, i already ordered a radiator from rockauto for $120 shipped.I have almost 2 gallons of red coolant. The only thing i need to get is dextron III. The manual says it only uses a few quarts of fluid. For some reason i think it takes like 9 or 10, but i hope i'm wrong.
Hopefully the damage isn't too bad. Transmissions produce a tremendous amount of heat and the clutch packs can generally take a little abuse, but not for prolonged periods. Your 4R may not have a trans filter, but a screen instead. Start with the radiator and then move on to the trans fluid replacement. You may have gotten lucky. My concern is if the torque converter may be contaminated, in that case a full flush of the transmission is required.

Terry