Meeting with the insurance adjuster today...any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 11:55 AM
SSM Accord V6 6 Spd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Meeting with the insurance adjuster today...any advice?

Well, I'm meeting with the insurance adjuster today to get the estimate on damages on my car. They said they would cut me a check on the spot, but I'm a bit nervous that I'll get short-changed. Do you guys have any advice when dealing with an insurance adjuster?
Old 05-10-2005, 12:36 PM
minibike wheelie king ;-)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you go to another body shop and get an estimate. Look up all the parts that you know need to be replaced and see what the prices are. Then match up the prices with the ones on the adjuster's estimate. Call a local body shop and ask them how much they charge for labor. Here is an example of some stuff that you will see.

Rear light R/I .25 6.50, which would stand for remove and install (R/I) of the rear light and they estimate that it will take 15 minutes (.25 of an hour) and they are willing to pay 6.50 for that procedure. $6.50 for 15 minutes is assuming a $26.00 an hour rate for labor, which is low. You could then argue that the going rate is $40 an hour and that procedure is $10.00 not $6.50.

Hope this helps, good luck & let us know how it goes.

btw, what is wrong with your car?
Old 05-10-2005, 04:19 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,307 Likes on 960 Posts
Wow great advice. Didn't know it worked like that.
Old 05-12-2005, 12:25 AM
go like hell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EPS CL
Well, I'm meeting with the insurance adjuster today to get the estimate on damages on my car. They said they would cut me a check on the spot, but I'm a bit nervous that I'll get short-changed. Do you guys have any advice when dealing with an insurance adjuster?
the claims adjuster that did my Tundra when it got hit was an Idiot.
#1. He said "meet me at this Gas America after work"(3:30) I did I'd wait there for like 1/2 hour. have a pepsi or slushy hang out. Never came. he did this like 4 times. Then He was suppose to come to my house 2 times, I left up the garage door on my Tundra up. Never came. THEN ON THE 5TH FRICKEN TIME WAITING AT GAS AMERICA HE FINALLY SHOWS UP. .
the dude looks like he about an IQ of 5 on his good day.
#2. They estimated and cut the check for 1085 dollars to rear do the tailgate and hitch on my Tundra. It came to like 1400 and some change. anyhow I called my body shop and stated they only cut a check for 1085. They said "call traveler's insurance"(which is the kid who was at fault insurance company). I call up and said I need a check ASAP for about 350 dollars. at first they said "We're not paying over the 1085" I said look "your adjuster is dumber than a box of rocks. He didn't figure in a new hitch. "
the guy said "well LeVan's(my body shop) failed to call us on their final price and if it goes over the estimate their suppose to call."
I get on my cell phone call LeVan's ask them if they got an estimate.
he said they never got Traveler's Insurance estimate. So Mike LeVan(owner of LeVan's body shop) calls Traveler's Insurance explain to him why it cost more and why they have to issue a check. Mike LeVan said "Look Derek, I know you need your truck(this was on Friday) for the weekend(because I run a mowing business),come over pick it up ,bring the 1085 dollar check with you and my business will sort this out with the Travelers." I said "alright cool" but they we're trying to screw LeVans Body Shop. Main thing is I got my truck back and it looks great. plus mike always works with me getting things back to me in a timely manner.
Old 05-12-2005, 08:11 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,307 Likes on 960 Posts
Wow, I'm impressed with this post. Good job.