Manual transmission andFuel Economy Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 12:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manual transmission andFuel Economy Question

Like many of us, I am trying to squeeze every drop of petrol out of my little beater/commuter! lol...

My question is:

If I skip 2nd gear, or 3rd gear ( i.e. go from 1st to 3rd) while this will bring down my RPM's but would require me to give it a little more gas so that I dont get run off the road..lol... would that help my fuel economy? Ideally I'd like to take off from 2nd gear but that would eventually wear on my clutch..

your guys thoughts?
am I an idiot? hahaha

Old 09-10-2008, 12:58 PM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Lugging the engine in a higher gear uses more fuel as it makes the engine work harder to accelerate. The best method for fuel economy is to quckly get up to speed and then maintain that speed as long as possible......
Old 09-10-2008, 01:06 PM
Burning Brakes

my thinking is, by going from 1st to 3rd, the RPMs would drop and I would (obviously) try to not accelerate as I normally would.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:21 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
Originally Posted by majin ssj eric
Lugging the engine in a higher gear uses more fuel as it makes the engine work harder to accelerate. The best method for fuel economy is to quckly get up to speed and then maintain that speed as long as possible......
Getting "quickly" up to speed is just as bad as skipping a gear.

The easiest thing to do is keep the RPM's under, say 3K rpms, get to a speed you feel comfortable with, preferably between 55-65 mph on the freeway and cruise. Minimize your need to down/up shift, turn the AC off, keep the windows rolled up, keep the sunroof closed and you'll start to see increases in fuel economy. Even gradual braking opposes to hard braking increases your fuel economy from what I've read.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...economy_column

http://www.caranddriver.com/features..._counts_column

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/..._to_do_feature

There was an article in car and driver that specifically talked about braking and gas mileage, I have it posted in another thread but I can't find it.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:21 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
Originally Posted by jlspeed29
my thinking is, by going from 1st to 3rd, the RPMs would drop and I would (obviously) try to not accelerate as I normally would.
seriously, if you live in East LA with a beat up mini-van then i can understand your logic.

You have a BMW 335 and a civic and you skip gear just to "Squeeze" another 5 miles out of your tank...

just drive normally and Don't "Waste" gas.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:28 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Like many of us, I am trying to squeeze every drop of petrol out of my little beater/commuter! lol...

My question is:

If I skip 2nd gear, or 3rd gear ( i.e. go from 1st to 3rd) while this will bring down my RPM's but would require me to give it a little more gas so that I dont get run off the road..lol... would that help my fuel economy? Ideally I'd like to take off from 2nd gear but that would eventually wear on my clutch..

your guys thoughts?
am I an idiot? hahaha

You live in SoCAl.....don't say "petrol" anymore....you don't live in the UK...and this isn't Top Gear.

It's ok to say "gas".

...and lugging your engine will consume more fuel.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:59 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 196 Likes on 99 Posts

My question is:

your guys thoughts?
am I an idiot? hahaha

I think everyone drives a manual transmission differently, and as such there seems to be so many varying opinions to which is the "proper" method. I, for example, rarely use the clutch while underway, preferring to match revs precisely as I drive.

I'm not entirely convinced if skipping gears will save you any money while driving. As others have mentioned, the engine needs to be operating at a particular rpm to achieve it's maximum efficiency, and lugging an engine can actually cause more fuel to be used.

If you do decide to skip gears while upshifting, be very careful to match revs correctly. If done incorrectly, the input shaft does not slow down quickly enough, and the synchros are not able to handle the additional load and will often mushroom. Not good. Very similar to a very quick 1-2 shift that will cause grinding on engagement and damage to be caused to the synchros. If you take time the match your revs and allow the input shaft to slow down, you should be fine if you choose to skip a gear. I really don't know if this will equate to increased fuel mileage however.

Terry
Old 09-10-2008, 02:13 PM
Drinking Beer In

Nothing makes you more cognizant of gas mileage than driving a big V8 when gas is $4/gal.

I learned from my GTO that the main thing that killed gas mileage was rowing through the gears. Skipping gears is not nearly as important as picking a speed that minimizes braking and throttle position changes. I found myself setting up the next few lights and keeping the revs below 2,000 at all times.

That car had CAGS, which forces a 1-4 shift for better economy, but it also had 400 ft lbs of twist, so "lugging" was not a problem. Even so, I hated it and when it locked me out of 2 I went for 3 instead of 4.

On the freeway, drag and its impact on MPGs is an exponential function. It takes more additional gas to move from 75 to 80 than it does from 65 to 70. As much as we all love to go fast, nothing kills MPGs faster.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
I don't skip gears. Never have, never will. Not cause there's anything wrong with it, I really don't know. Just out of habit. If I skipped gears it would throw me outta wack.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:33 PM
Evil Mazda Driver

Received 174 Likes on 89 Posts
When I drive my friend's Audi Allroad and get onto the freeway on-ramp, I will sometimes go straight from 3rd or 4th into 6th. I do this simply because 5th gear on that car is so redundant it actually sucks something fierce.

The damn thing pulls like a locomotive in 6th gear (at freeway speeds) anyway.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by oonowindoo
seriously, if you live in East LA with a beat up mini-van then i can understand your logic.

You have a BMW 335 and a civic and you skip gear just to "Squeeze" another 5 miles out of your tank...

just drive normally and Don't "Waste" gas.
My civic is a DX, and gets around 34mpg (realistically lol )

Thanks for all the comments everyone! this is one of the reasons i love forums!
soo many great opinions, some founded and some not!

I'm just trying to maximize the MPG in my little commuter!
I'll replace the air filter and see how that goes!
Old 09-10-2008, 05:47 PM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
When I really try to save gas, I don't go beyond 2k rpm for 1st through 5th gear. And 6th gear, I just go at 65 without cruise control. Somehow cruise control feels like waste more gas than manually going at 65.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:50 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by yohan81718
When I really try to save gas, I don't go beyond 2k rpm for 1st through 5th gear. And 6th gear, I just go at 65 without cruise control. Somehow cruise control feels like waste more gas than manually going at 65.
I've read the same thing that using cruise uses more gas than not using it. I very rarely use cruise control anyway.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:50 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 974 Likes on 330 Posts
I keep mine in 4th....hell I can even take off from a stop in 4th if I want

but usually around town...1 -> 4.....4 handles me from about 18 mph to 100+
Old 09-10-2008, 06:08 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by Sly Raskal
I've read the same thing that using cruise uses more gas than not using it. I very rarely use cruise control anyway.
Cruise control only saves you gas when you are on a "flat" road....if there are grade changes on your route, using cruise control will actually consume more fuel.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:16 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
Cruise control only saves you gas when you are on a "flat" road....if there are grade changes on your route, using cruise control will actually consume more fuel.
meh, i still won't use it anymore than I already do anyway.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
Unless you have hard data to back that up, I disagree.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:44 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by fuzzy02CLS
1)Downhill
When you are on CC and you see that the freeway goes downhill your car will keep the same speed. When the car starts going downhill and the hill is too steep your MPH will rise and your car will use the lower gearing to slow/keep the same speed. It will shift which is a waste of gas and keep it in lower gear till the downhill is gone, then it will upshift which is another waste of gas and continue on it's way.

Solution:
Keep the foot on the gas, press the Cancel button on the steering wheel(not the brakes because when you press the brakes your car will start shifting when you get your foot back on the gas) and as you start going downhill accelarate slightly, this will keep your car in the same gear. When the downhill is over slowly start releasing the gas pedal until you're back to your CC speed and press the set or accel. button on the CC. You just went downhill without the car shifting gear and you got back to your cruise speed without the car shifting gears.

2)Uphill
Usually when you're on the CC and when you get to a hill your engine works more by keeping the same speed by increasing rpm. The RPM usually gets increased 2000-2500rpm. Not only that but your car just shifted twice. Once when going uphill and the second time after the hill to get into the top gear.

Solution:
When you see the uphill in front of you click the cancel button while keeping your foot on the gas pedal and start to slowly accelarate BEFORE the hill. Once you hit the hill you should be 5-8mph over your cruise speed. While the car is going uphill slowly release the gas so that way the car doesn't shift. Using this method will keep the car in the same gear. Once you're on the top of the hill you should be 5-8mph below your cruise speed because you were slowing down when going uphill. Then slowly accelarate to your cruise speed and press the SET or ACCEL. button. Your foot should never leave the gas pedal while going uphill. And your car should not shift while going uphill.
http://www.gassavers.org/archive/ind...way/t-305.html

Use your cruise control: There are times when cruise control isn't appropriate, such as in areas with heavy traffic or in bad weather. Also, using cruise control on hilly roads can actually use more fuel, not less, as your vehicle struggles to maintain speed while driving up hills.
http://money.cnn.com/2008/04/22/auto...tips/index.htm
Old 09-10-2008, 06:53 PM
Team Owner

^^ Sounds like solid reasoning to me.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:59 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

^^ I thought it was pretty obvious

..and I've tested the theory...and it is true....on my commute on the Freeway w/ several grade changes, NOT using CC got me better MPG.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:01 PM
Instructor

Is the whole skipping gears messing up the tranny synchronizes thing a myth or is it true?

I will often skip gears while accelerating quick... i.e. from 20 in 2nd speed up to 40 then go straight to 4th
Old 09-11-2008, 02:09 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
i rarely use CC, simply because i dont feel safe without having foot on the pedals.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:53 AM
Safety Car

But this article is for automatic transmissions..?

In manual transmissions, I don't see how it relates to uphill, downhill or flat road.. for example, going uphill on CC on 6th gear to keep at 65mph and going uphill without CC on 6th gear to keep at 65mph.. there is no higher rev involved in either cases.. they should use same rev to maintain the speed in either cases IMO
Old 09-11-2008, 05:25 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts

In manual transmissions, I don't see how it relates to uphill, downhill or flat road.. for example, going uphill on CC on 6th gear to keep at 65mph and going uphill without CC on 6th gear to keep at 65mph.. there is no higher rev involved in either cases.. they should use same rev to maintain the speed in either cases IMO
I was thinking the same thing.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:49 AM
Sounders FC

try only using the fans (max cool but no AC)...at decent speeds this should improve your mileage.... if you have tinted windows this works better
Old 09-11-2008, 07:49 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by majin ssj eric
Lugging does make the engine work harder, but getting up to a certain speed slowly improves fuel economy.

For those who really want to skip gears, you'll have to get used to it. I rarely accelerate slowly enough to even activate the CAGS in my car, but when I do, I usually have to keep the clutch pedal down a bit longer or the car will buck when the clutch engages. I noticed it does help a little bit skipping gears, but rowing them is just too fun, so I just shift normally
Old 09-11-2008, 08:49 AM
I now drive an accord....

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have never used CC in an auto, but if it truely works this way its stupid

When on the highway I leave my car in 6th gear and set the cruise. The RPM's never change. CC uses the least gas in my car because it only gives enough gas to maintain the speed, where if im controlling the gas I will speed up more than is needed
Old 09-11-2008, 10:05 AM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
Originally Posted by fuzzy02CLS
using cruise control in the wife's 4runner is a pita when driving here in pa. When you are on the flat, it is fine and sips the gas. When going up a mountain it downshifts more than if i would just use the gas to help maintain the speed.

If i have the cc set at 75 mph, it will stay there on the flat roads. When going up the hills it will downshift and by the time it shifts to the higher gear it may be going 80.
Then it will keep repeating the process until i crest the hill.

I beleive that it will use more fuel when at highway speed at the lower gear with higher rpm, compared to lower rpm and me keeping my same speed up the hill, but the gas pedal depressed a bit further than when on flat road.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:07 AM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
i also had a 2002 nissan frontier 6 cylinder king cab 5 speed. No matter what i did, i consistently got 15-16 mpg. i could short shift @ 2k, i could go to 2500-3k rpm and skip a gear, use only the brakes to slow down and not downshift, and i would still get the same mileage.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:40 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mreh
Is the whole skipping gears messing up the tranny synchronizes thing a myth or is it true?
Myth.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:45 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

The downhill portion may be moot...although CC may provide some throttle input on a downhill (6th gear) even though it is not needed...so instead of a complete lift & cut-off of fuel....you are still consuming fuel downhill.

Uphill however, the theory is true...you will use more fuel using CC (6th gear) CC will increase the throttle to maintain speed up the hill...thus using more fuel.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:53 AM
Safety Car

you have to increase throttle in either case of CC or no CC going uphill... in my opinion, it's nothing about going uphill or downhill.. it's just the way CC works that it maintain the constant throttle level vs need-basis by our foot on pedal
Old 09-11-2008, 12:26 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

you have to increase throttle in either case of CC or no CC going uphill... in my opinion, it's nothing about going uphill or downhill.. it's just the way CC works that it maintain the constant throttle level vs need-basis by our foot on pedal
Point being if it's all about MPG, you don't need to maintain the exact same speed going uphill...speed is reduced by not increasing the throttle going uphill...resulting in fuel savings. Going downhill you can completely lift off the throttle resulting in no fuel consumption.

Using CC means additional fuel consumption due to the car trying to maintain a constant speed.
Old 09-11-2008, 01:02 PM
Safety Car

That's what I've been saying from the beginning.. CC seems to use more gas.. c'mon moog
Old 09-11-2008, 02:19 PM
Senior Moderator

I would not call any of that hard data. It depends on the car, & conditions.
I will agree that CC use may use more gas on a car that doesn't have much power or is heavy. But in today's cars I really don't see it. And if it does, it doesn't matter to me since I'd rather have a relaxed non stiff leg/foot/ankle then save $2 on gas.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
I never skip shift from 1 to 3, but I do usually go from 4 to 6, leaving out 5 when I'm getting up to speed on the highway.