M3 CSL gets the green light

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2002, 08:59 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
M3 CSL gets the green light

It will be available some time in 2003.

CSL stands for Coupe, Sports and Lightweight. The history of these cars goes back to the 1930s when the 1938 BMW 328 Mille Miglia Coupe with an aluminum body raced around, giving birth to the idea. There were other cars, notably the CSL cars of the 1970s based on the 3.0 coupe cars.

In Frankfurt, BMW tested the waters with the concept and the enthusiast response was overwhelmingly positive. Today, BMW presents an M3 CSL prototype suitable for series production as the predecessor to a production model launched to appear in future.

This strategy leads straight to Formula 1 technology featured by the M3 CSL in some fundamental areas for practical use on the road. One example is the consistent utilisation of carbon-fibre reinforced plastic (CFRP), the material in Formula 1. Now introducing this material on the road, BMW M is turning around the weight spiral in a new, fascinating process of evolution.

In terms of drive technology this is accompanied by the high-speed concept of the famous M3 straight-six power unit reducing weight to a minimum in the engine sector. On the modified engine the complete cylinder charge cycle has been modified and frictional forces further reduced. The Sequential M Gearbox with Drivelogic (SMG) also based directly on Formula 1 technology and forming an integral part of the most sporting M3 ensures an ultra-fast gearshift with a seamless, direct flow of power. So it is fair to say that this lightweight sports car is designed and built in every respect for a dynamic driving experience of the purest form.

Lightweight technology was however not a purpose in itself in the development of the M3 CSL by BMW M. Rather, the absolute weight and mass inertia of a car around its vertical axis are crucial to the car's lateral, vertical and longitudinal dynamics - that is the way the driver experiences the car's dynamic performance on the road. The car's power-to-weight ratio, that is the quotient of vehicle weight versus performance, is furthermore crucial to supreme longitudinal dynamics, that is very fast acceleration. And this brings us to the 110 per cent formula of BMW M Division Manager Gerhard Richter: "Succeeding in reducing the power-to-weight ratio by another 10 per cent on the M3 CSL, we have created the 110 per cent car and have moved up to a new league of dynamic performance."

The best place to test all these dynamic criteria quickly and thoroughly is of course the Northern Circuit of Nürburgring, the most challenging race track in the world. This is where the best stand out from the good in terms of driving dynamics, this is where you experience the interaction of all a car's components.

Just one look at the BMW M3 CSL reveals the outstanding role of this lightweight concept: The flaps in the front skirt, roof and rear diffuser are visibly made of CFRP. Indeed, the entire front skirt as a whole is made of painted carbon-fibre, as are the door- and side-sills as well as the centre console.

But it is not always carbon-fibre alone. The load-bearing structure supporting the asymmetrically split through-loading system, for example, is made of endless glass-fibre thermoplastics, an innovative material carried over from aerospace applications. The bucket seats at the front, in turn, made of glass-fibre reinforced plastic (GFRP), are not only lighter than the standard seats in the M3, but also offer the occupants even greater support when driving fast and dynamically. The rear window of the M3 CSL is made of thin glass, the floor beneath the luggage compartment is a honeycomb sandwich plate, again a material used preferably in aerospace applications. Even the base material beneath the floor carpeting is made of weight-optimised foam.

The M3 CSL comes on specially developed 19-inch wheels with new sports tyres again reflecting the purist concept of the car, while the 18-inch brake system ensures supreme stopping power.

Taking up a great heritage, BMW M is therefore creating a very special car for the motorsport enthusiast with a penchant for dynamic driving performance as the ultimate experience on the road. Starting next year, the BMW M3 CSL will enter the market in a limited edition.

This will be an expensive car. Where it will be sold is not known at this time, and wheather or not it will make it outside of Europe is a mystery. We will keep you informed as we get more details, so stay tuned, and keep the dream alive!

Old 07-09-2002, 09:24 PM
__

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't care much for the whole in the front bumper. When is the sedan M3 coming out? Will there be a wagon?
Old 07-09-2002, 09:36 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Hopefully the engine issue will get cleared up soon....I drove my buddies 02 M3 again yesterday (6spd), real nice car. Was actually mad getting back into my CL.
Old 07-09-2002, 09:54 PM
Instructor

Yeah the hole in the bumper is really nasty.

18" disc brakes

If it comes to america I might have to pick one up, but that bumper is definatly getting swapped out.

Weight reduction =12.? 1/4 mile times
Old 07-09-2002, 09:56 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by Acura3.0CLP
When is the sedan M3 coming out? Will there be a wagon?
M3 Wagon????
Old 07-09-2002, 10:08 PM
__

Originally posted by nate'sCLS

M3 Wagon????
Hey there is an S4 wagon right? I dought BMW would make one, but I was just asking
Old 07-09-2002, 10:12 PM
Safety Car

Hey there is an S4 wagon right? I dought BMW would make one, but I was just asking
True, there is an S4 Wagon but I have yet seen one on the road
Old 07-09-2002, 10:48 PM
__

I have seen a few wagons...but I have seen more sedans
Old 07-09-2002, 11:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by nate'sCLS

True, there is an S4 Wagon but I have yet seen one on the road

Theres plenty in our area. also watch the mischeif video
Old 07-09-2002, 11:42 PM
10th Gear

Originally posted by Beltfed
Hopefully the engine issue will get cleared up soon....I drove my buddies 02 M3 again yesterday (6spd), real nice car. Was actually mad getting back into my CL.
MAD? Just think you could buy a CLtypeS, and a WRX and still have money left to play with for the same money as a single (moderatley equipped) M3. And neither would blow its motor
Old 07-10-2002, 01:39 AM
Safety Car

I have seen a few wagons...but I have seen more sedans
Hands down the hottest I ever saw was an E Class wagon tuned by Renntech
Old 07-10-2002, 05:28 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,453 Likes on 3,770 Posts
[QUOTE]Originally posted by SleeperCL
[B]Yeah the hole in the bumper is really nasty.

Could be BMW's way of testing the necessity/ non-necessity of providing brake cooling ducting up front. Doubtful they would leave one single hold in the bumper like that.
Old 07-10-2002, 10:20 AM
Pro

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chief F1 Fan
[B]
Originally posted by SleeperCL
Yeah the hole in the bumper is really nasty.

Could be BMW's way of testing the necessity/ non-necessity of providing brake cooling ducting up front. Doubtful they would leave one single hold in the bumper like that.
The single hole is an air intake duct for the engine. It is a carbon fiber tube

As for brake cooling, I dunno. All standard E46 3 series have brake cooling ducts, maybe they come from the center on this car. But, if the brakes are really good, maybe BMW doesn't think that the CSL needs it

IMO, this is the best M car yet. 8 minute (or even a bit less) is Porsche 911 GT3 level
Old 07-10-2002, 10:38 AM
Community Architect
robb m.

Received 642 Likes on 284 Posts
I like the hole in the front, and it's a built in CAI..>I dunno why you guys are knocking it...

that M3 is a whole new performance level, turnining 8s at the ring, is super super car territory...
Old 07-10-2002, 10:38 AM
Safety Car

Originally posted by someguy

The single hole is an air intake duct for the engine. It is a carbon fiber tube

IMO, this is the best M car yet. 8 minute (or even a bit less) is Porsche 911 GT3 level

In this case that hole doesn't look so bad... get the car in black so it won't be noticed as badly
Old 07-10-2002, 11:24 AM
Shift_3.5 Auto

Originally posted by SafetySlug

MAD? Just think you could buy a CLtypeS, and a WRX and still have money left to play with for the same money as a single (moderatley equipped) M3. And neither would blow its motor
Sorry dude, but the m3 is in a TOTALLY different league. A wrx or cls, no comparison (maybe i am too devoted to m3s) I would take one engine problems or not. That's why there is a warranty. They can give me 540i loaner or 330ci loaner for how ever long my m3 sits in the shop. For that matter loan me a m5. Better than our trannys going and getting an integ or enterprise rental.
Old 07-10-2002, 12:09 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: M3 CSL gets the green light

Originally posted by gavriil

The M3 CSL comes on specially developed 19-inch wheels with new sports tyres again reflecting the purist concept of the car,

while the 18-inch brake system ensures supreme stopping power.
DAMN! 18" rotors!??!