Luxury: Is it the car or the brand on the car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 04:06 PM
Low is a Lifestyle.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lol.. i guess but my point is still valid i think.
those are exceptions bc those were luxury brand cars that didnt show any luxury. not a car that has luxury, without the prestige. rofl.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:27 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts
I'd considered a used Equus. That Hyundai warranty is transferrable so win-win situation.

But for 50K i would not plunk it down on a new Hyundai.
Old 04-11-2010, 03:10 PM
Rooting for Acura

Received 1,767 Likes on 806 Posts
...another thought.

Who is the real target audience for the Equus?
Buyers where it is a stretch to spend $60 on a vehicle, but can?
Buyers who can afford a $100K vehicle but would purchase a $60K vehicle if it was as well appointed?
Buyers who are looking to get into the luxury market but may be a bit short on cash or don't really want to spend $100K?

The reason I ask is because I can see some middle aged guy living in an exclusive neighborhood that is not as pretentious as his neighbors getting an Equus. He wouldn't buy it because he couldn't afford an S class. He would buy it because of the clear value proposition.
Old 04-11-2010, 05:21 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
I wish the video had given us more of the Equus selling points.

National Acura Meet-June 6th/Kansas City. Click here for details and to sign up!

Old 04-11-2010, 06:15 PM
Rooting for Acura

Received 1,767 Likes on 806 Posts
Speaking of value proposition...

Hyundai Equus Customers Will Be Given Royal Treatment
Source: http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1...oyal-treatment

Hyundai is keen to crack the luxury market with its new Equus flagship but convincing customers that a brand known for bargain basement prices can also be upscale will certainly be a challenge. With an expected pricetag of roughly $55,000, the Equus is considerably more expensive than any other Hyundai before it but there will be some bonuses for customers.

In addition to the generous feature list, which will include premium features such as a rear-seat footrest, rain-repellent window glass, power sun shades, and massage systems built into the driver's seat and rear seat, Equus customers will also benefit from a number of services.

Some of these services will include free at-home pickup of their cars for servicing and a free loaner Equus when their car is in the shop. Equus customers will also receive an Apple iPad with the car’s logbook preloaded which they can use to stay in touch with the dealership.

Potential customers will also get star treatment, with dealers bringing Equus demo cars to their doorstep for a personal presentation of the features. If the customer eventually buys the car, dealers will also return to discuss the Equus’ performance.

Dealers will be meeting Alabama later this month for special training to deal with Equus customers.
Old 04-11-2010, 11:50 PM
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
I saw this car at the LA autoshow last December, and it looked really nice! There were couple of people who even asked when it was coming out and if they could put a reserve on it.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:01 AM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by knight rider
Speaking of value proposition...

Hyundai Equus Customers Will Be Given Royal Treatment
Source: http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1...oyal-treatment

Hyundai is keen to crack the luxury market with its new Equus flagship but convincing customers that a brand known for bargain basement prices can also be upscale will certainly be a challenge. With an expected pricetag of roughly $55,000, the Equus is considerably more expensive than any other Hyundai before it but there will be some bonuses for customers.

In addition to the generous feature list, which will include premium features such as a rear-seat footrest, rain-repellent window glass, power sun shades, and massage systems built into the driver's seat and rear seat, Equus customers will also benefit from a number of services.

Some of these services will include free at-home pickup of their cars for servicing and a free loaner Equus when their car is in the shop. Equus customers will also receive an Apple iPad with the car’s logbook preloaded which they can use to stay in touch with the dealership.

Potential customers will also get star treatment, with dealers bringing Equus demo cars to their doorstep for a personal presentation of the features. If the customer eventually buys the car, dealers will also return to discuss the Equus’ performance.

Dealers will be meeting Alabama later this month for special training to deal with Equus customers.
THis kind of thing would piss me off if I was a recent $45k Genesis sedan buyer and I was sitting at a stoplight in my loaner Elantra....
Old 04-12-2010, 12:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by majin ssj eric
THis kind of thing would piss me off if I was a recent $45k Genesis sedan buyer and I was sitting at a stoplight in my loaner Elantra....
I'd be happy just to get a loaner lol.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:58 AM
Low is a Lifestyle.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lol... elantra. theyd probably give you one of the midsize suvs that they have.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:57 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by majin ssj eric
My dad brought his in for a oil change tire rotation and for them to replace one of the clear protective tape pieces on the rear rocker that was pealing and he got a Genesis as a loaner.

Far better than the ford focus i got when i had to bring my TL in for warranty service.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:28 AM
Pinky all stinky

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally Posted by SpiderX1016
I'd be happy just to get a loaner lol.
seriously. last time at my Honda dealership I had to pay $40 for a rental...and it was a Chevy Cobalt. God what a POS that thing was.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:41 AM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
My dad brought his in for a oil change tire rotation and for them to replace one of the clear protective tape pieces on the rear rocker that was pealing and he got a Genesis as a loaner.

Far better than the ford focus i got when i had to bring my TL in for warranty service.
Thats good at least (the Genesis loaner, not the Focus)....
Old 04-12-2010, 12:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,671 Likes on 932 Posts
Originally Posted by phile
seriously. last time at my Honda dealership I had to pay $40 for a rental...and it was a Chevy Cobalt. God what a POS that thing was.

When my AV6 was in the shop for a windshield replacement, the best the dealership would do is to give me a rental voucher for $30. (Luckily, they managed to pull the repair off in fairly short order, negating the need for the rental.) In any event, I wouldn't have any issue with an Elantra loaner.

Fortunately now I own an 09 MDX so the worst I'll get will be a new TSX, which currently sits atop our list of prospective new cars that we're looking to secure as a second vehicle.