Luggage on the roof, any good ideas??

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 12:38 PM
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Luggage on the roof, any good ideas??

Ok, so I am in need of some ideas for securely mounting suitcases to a roof rack.

Myself, and 3 friends are going on a golf vacation in Feb to Myrtle Beach. We have rented a ford explorer(they didn't have anything bigger) and I highly doubt we can get 4 suitcases, 4 golf bags, and 4 heads in there.

I was thinking maybe we could strap 2 suitcases to the roof, and wanted to see if anyone had any good recommendations. I have seen some covers to keep them dry online but didn't know how well they work or if anyone has done anything different in the past.

I was thinking we could just put each one in a contractor garbage bag and use those ratchet straps to secure them down, maybe throw a cargo net on top of that as well to hold it all together.

Thoughts??
Old 12-03-2008, 12:42 PM
Honda+Blue=My garage

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Rock2534
Ok, so I am in need of some ideas for securely mounting suitcases to a roof rack.

Myself, and 3 friends are going on a golf vacation in Feb to Myrtle Beach. We have rented a ford explorer(they didn't have anything bigger) and I highly doubt we can get 4 suitcases, 4 golf bags, and 4 heads in there.

I was thinking maybe we could strap 2 suitcases to the roof, and wanted to see if anyone had any good recommendations. I have seen some covers to keep them dry online but didn't know how well they work or if anyone has done anything different in the past.

I was thinking we could just put each one in a contractor garbage bag and use those ratchet straps to secure them down, maybe throw a cargo net on top of that as well to hold it all together.

Thoughts??
Just get the soft roof top carriers. You can rachet that down and it works. I have a hard clamshell carrier for the top of the wifey's Ody.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:49 PM
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by pmptx
Just get the soft roof top carriers. You can rachet that down and it works. I have a hard clamshell carrier for the top of the wifey's Ody.
Now are those carriers the kind you open up and put stuff in? If so I don't know if that will help me too much, as we won't have much loose stuff to put in there. The golf bags and suitcases take up the bulk of the room, and since I don't want to put a golf bag up there, it gots to be the suitcase. Putting two up on the roof would open the back up immensely.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:02 AM
Honda+Blue=My garage

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Rock2534
Now are those carriers the kind you open up and put stuff in? If so I don't know if that will help me too much, as we won't have much loose stuff to put in there. The golf bags and suitcases take up the bulk of the room, and since I don't want to put a golf bag up there, it gots to be the suitcase. Putting two up on the roof would open the back up immensely.
They are like big duffels that secure to the roof rack rails and sit on the roof rack crossmembers. The additional benefit is that they are waterproof and will assure evrything stays bug free vs a cargo net setup. They cost about $50, so it isn't a huge investment.

You could put the clubs and some of the luggage up there giving you room for a cooler or other in cabin items for the trip.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:10 AM
Team Owner

Received 598 Likes on 416 Posts
The soft roof top carriers should work for you. My in laws have one that they use for their truck. It fits a ton of extra stuff. One recommendation I would give is to go with duffle bags instead of more rigid suit cases.

The other option will be to get a mini van. You may be able to fit a lot more in one of those.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:21 PM
seizure force field!

Received 115 Likes on 95 Posts
What about a hitch attachment basket? You can put 2-3 suitcases depending on the size of the basket/tray, then cover it with a tarp and secure the tarp with bungee cords then the whole thing with ratchet straps.

Regardless, u-haul has a few things to get you started with ideas, you might be able to find the stuff cheaper elsewhere though.
http://store.uhaul.com/Cargo_carriers