Lost Release of Liability & Guy's Name & I am getting tickets!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 07:02 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Lost Release of Liability & Guy's Name & I am getting tickets!!

Hello,

I am in a bit of a bind and I am wondering if anyone has any ideas for this:

(This is for my work)

We sold a vehicle to a guy who came in out of the street and dropped cash on the car back in May of last year. Now we are receiving parking tickets and overdue registration notices.

Upon sale I made sure to have him fill out his name and info on a release of liability form, did a bill of sale, the works. I sent in the release of liability form to the DMV a few days after the sale.

Now we are receiving all of this and when I go look for the records, they have been destroyed by water damage and that was my only record of this guy's information and everything was in there. The DMV basically told me that we are screwed unless we can find out his name. I tried goign through our phone records and my notes but didnt turn up anything.

Im wondering if anyone has any ideas of how we can get ourselves out of this situation? (especially before something worse happens that we may become liable for).

Thank you for the help!!

Rody
Old 08-01-2006, 08:42 PM
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
report it as stolen?
Old 08-01-2006, 10:04 PM
is still kickin!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how the FUCK does that happen?
Old 08-01-2006, 11:54 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sorry to say theres nothing you can do. i was in the same position. sold the car, lost the dudes info and he started racking up tickets. luckily i remember where he lived to i had his car booted and towed away.

what happens is the DMV eventually sends your outstanding balance to collection agencies. i had a balance of 2000$ i believe. the collection agencies would call me and say i had to pay $1200 or something. i told them politely that they would never receive any money from me and to fuck off. if you dont pay the balance all that happens is that it might get on your credit score, however, most creditors are people too and if you explain your situation it wont affect anything. my credit score is still 750

what you can do is just try to get his info and just tell DMV to send tickets there. however, i always got the same response, that its my fault and im responsible. dont pay a cent man nothing will happen. collection agencies can eat my ass