Looking to trade for RSX...

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2001 | 08:08 PM
Lucky Kid Member

Looking to trade for RSX...

Ok, before the flames start to rise..just read. I just turned 17(april) and the CL-S is boring to drive for me. i absolutly LOVE driving stick. My mom is always like its pain in the ass.. blah blah, hills, blah blah, stop and go blah blah. I know how that is. Its a pain in the ass with an automatic, always having to brake and shit...jk! but, my car is a lemon. Dealer wont fix my god damn actuator, my shit rattles everywhere, im getting like 1000 miles every 2 weeks, and its losing value very quickly, im tired of it, and i want something new. I probably sound like a spoiled brat or something but im not. Now, i know i will be going down the line getting an RSX but, i think it would be a better car for me. The only thing is, i dont want it to be slow as balls. I would be getting the Type S RSX btw. If i was going to go through with this, should i do a full trade, or should i sell it to acura, and then buy. I would rather sell and get more money than what the car would be worth so i still have a lil to hook it up with. Ok, start bringin in the replys. Not too many hot flames though, but lemme know what you think. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-04-2001 | 08:10 PM
w.t.f., mate?

Sell it then buy the RSX so you have some leftover money for some Mods so you can make the damn thing relatively close to the CL-S speedwise.
Old 07-04-2001 | 08:13 PM
Lucky Kid Member

How far from the CL-S is it?
Old 07-04-2001 | 08:15 PM
Banned

Run an ad in the paper to sell the CL. Dealers won't give you shit for it. But selling so soon, you're going to lose a lot of money however you dispose of it.
Old 07-04-2001 | 08:19 PM
Lucky Kid Member

Originally posted by mdaniel:
<STRONG>Run an ad in the paper to sell the CL. Dealers won't give you shit for it. But selling so soon, you're going to lose a lot of money however you dispose of it.</STRONG>
i have 18700, i know i will have 19k by like monday or tues. so i figure in losing money anyway.
Old 07-04-2001 | 08:22 PM
Banned

I hear you on wanting a stick. I really like my CL-S and haven't had any major problems with it, but I do miss the stick. I'd be right there with you if the RSX-S had a navi option.
Old 07-04-2001 | 09:16 PM
RWD convert

The 6 speed RSX Type-S is supposedly faster than the CL-S already. Think about it, 700 pounds less weight, 200 horses, and a 6 speed close ratio gear box. All signs point to a faster and better handling vehicle than the CL-S/TL-S. Then when you start modding that sucker, that bitch will fly even quicker! I'm lucky I have an RSX-S protection system(NOS)
Old 07-04-2001 | 09:17 PM
Advanced

I switched from my CL-S because of the auto trans as well. I don't regret it at all. Do keep in mind that it's doubtful that the RSX is as comfortable as the CL, but that might not be at the top of your list at your age . If you have a chance to, spend as much time behind the wheel of the RSX as you can before selling the CL. Try to ignore the novelty of it being new (it's tough, I know) and see if it's something you'd like to live with. One thing I know is: I would not be completely happy going back to a GS-R (as much as I loved mine). Good luck.
Old 07-04-2001 | 09:20 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by jdtypeS:
<STRONG>Ok, before the flames start to rise..just read. I just turned 17(april) and the CL-S is boring to drive for me. i absolutly LOVE driving stick. My mom is always like its pain in the ass.. blah blah, hills, blah blah, stop and go blah blah. I know how that is. Its a pain in the ass with an automatic, always having to brake and shit...jk! but, my car is a lemon. Dealer wont fix my god damn actuator, my shit rattles everywhere, im getting like 1000 miles every 2 weeks, and its losing value very quickly, im tired of it, and i want something new. I probably sound like a spoiled brat or something but im not. Now, i know i will be going down the line getting an RSX but, i think it would be a better car for me. The only thing is, i dont want it to be slow as balls. I would be getting the Type S RSX btw. If i was going to go through with this, should i do a full trade, or should i sell it to acura, and then buy. I would rather sell and get more money than what the car would be worth so i still have a lil to hook it up with. Ok, start bringin in the replys. Not too many hot flames though, but lemme know what you think. Thanks in advance. </STRONG>
I don't see how anyone can flame you. You admit the CL is not your kind of car but the RSX is. So trade it in for one, no problem. You gotta be happy with what you drive. God knows if I were 17, I'd probably prefer the RSX, too. At least you didn't say Integra (last year).
Old 07-04-2001 | 09:21 PM
Rock Chalk Jayhawk

I just stopped by the Acura dealer when I was in KC and took a look at the RSX. I really like it even more now that I saw it in person. If you can pull it off I think you'd really like the car. The CL-S is sweet, but I think the RSX would be even more fun to drive. You could tell they must have sold quite a few already because they had at least three modded Integras in their new trade in area that weren't prepped yet for sale. I would think you could find someone interested in buying your CL from you.
Old 07-04-2001 | 10:33 PM
Pro

well I can tell you that dealers are selling Cls with around 15K miles on it for around 25 or at the most 26. So in reality with a trade in you will get 23 at the most . If you sell it priovately I think maybe 24 would be reasonable. they dont seem to be holding their value too well so far.
Old 07-04-2001 | 10:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Trading in might not be a bad option. Keep in mind you save on sales tax. Sales tax on a $23,500 RSX Type S is going to be:
5% tax: 1175
6% tax: 1410
7% tax: 1645
Now, the RSX Type S is probably not being discounted much right now. So, since the dealer will be make a shitload on the RSX, he can afford to give you a little more on your trade. You'll just have to fight pretty hard on it. Here in AZ, sales tax is 7%. When I bought the CL-S, I traded in a '99 Accord V6. At the time, people were asking about $22,500 for the Accord. I figured they'd get $21-$21,500 for them. I ended up trading in my Accord and got $20K for it. That saved me $1400 in sales tax which means I would have had to get $21,400 out of it JUST TO BREAK EVEN!!!!! Plus, I had to screw with selling it myself (a total pain!). So, for me, trading it in was a far better deal. So here's what you do:
1) Figure out what CL's are selling for
2) Take that figure and multiply it by your tax rate to see how much you'll save in taxes by trading it in.
3) Subtract the tax savings off the price of the CL and use that as a target price for the CL.
Then, you can trade it in, not lose any more money and not have to screw with selling it yourself. You might find that the dealer just won't give you what you want and you'll end up losing more by trading it in, but it's certainly worth a shot. And sometimes, it's worth it to lose an extra $500-1000 just so you don't have to screw with selling it outright.
Old 07-05-2001 | 02:16 AM
Moderator Alumnus

At 17, I'm not at all surprised that the CL is a snore for you to drive......be a kid and go get an RSX and mod the shit out of it.

If you weren't racking on so many miles...I would say to wait a few months- until the RSX's are piled up at the dealers, so you can get a great deal (instead of an o.k. one)- but not a big issue.

The above posts have some really good advice, especially from GoldTypeS.

Beltfed
01 CL-S
00 Viper GTS
Old 07-05-2001 | 11:02 AM
Pro

In Arkansas you only pay sales tax on the difference on the amount you sell the old car for and the purchase price of the new car whether you trade or sell the old car privately. Call up your state revenue department to see what the law is in your state.
Old 07-05-2001 | 11:17 AM
Burning Brakes

Acura's only importing a little over 30K RSX's per year. I wouldn't expect to see them "piled up" at the dealers anytime soon. They can make over 40K MDX's per year and they're still selling at MSRP+ and have been out since Fall '00. The RSX pricing is a little high for what you get so you might be able to shave some $'s off the MSRP in a couple months but, with so few available, I don't see huge discounts on the horizon.
Old 07-05-2001 | 03:39 PM
Pro

Hey I'll buy your springs from you.. what kinda springs you have.. have fun in the RSX!
Old 07-05-2001 | 03:55 PM
Lucky Kid Member

Originally posted by e1828:
<STRONG>Hey I'll buy your springs from you.. what kinda springs you have.. have fun in the RSX!</STRONG>

Neuspeed sport springs. 1.75 drop in front 1.5 in rear. If buyer or Acura, whichever it is, wants the car to be stock, ill sell them for like 150 or something... is that bad? I got AEM(RED) CAI too. so if anyone is interested, lemme know.
Old 07-05-2001 | 05:48 PM
Sold 12/29/04 :-(

If you can get out of the CL-S without losing too much money, I would say go for it. I love the RS-X Type-S. You will have so much more fun with it. Good luck & keep us posted
Old 07-05-2001 | 05:53 PM
Instructor

so is mommy gonna pay for loss in value of your cl-s?
Old 07-05-2001 | 05:58 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by nt5k:
<STRONG>so is mommy gonna pay for loss in value of your cl-s? </STRONG>
Whatever, more power to him....my buddy's father bought him a $360k condo in Jersey on the water....some people are just better off than others.

Beltfed
01 CL-S
00 Viper GTS
Old 07-05-2001 | 06:18 PM
Mr. Lover-Lover

In regards to the RSX-S being faster than the CL-S.....the one report i read on it was a 0-60 of 6.5 secs.....thats with a 6 speed manual and a pro driver....
highly doubt that a CL-S will lose to an RSX-S on the street.
BTW....saw the RSX-s yesterday at the dealer and it is IMO, ugly as shit..
if you want a fast 6-speed man tranny that is fast....i would go with the Celica GT-S or the WRX
hope it all works out for you anyway...
Old 07-05-2001 | 06:19 PM
Banned

I can understand the dilema. Wish I would have had the same one at 16/17!

To be able to own a CL-S @ 16 is nothing less than "GRAVY"

Seems, that a PERFECT Actuator isn't the only issue. Need of a Stick along with a need for a more sporty, quick feel Maybe ??

I'd like to say you'd Regret such a Trade in only 2/3 years, but hey: If it's available and it makes you happy: GO FOR IT !

Cheers

Originally posted by jdtypeS:
<STRONG>Ok, before the flames start to rise..just read. I just turned 17(april) and the CL-S is boring to drive for me. i absolutly LOVE driving stick. My mom is always like its pain in the ass.. blah blah, hills, blah blah, stop and go blah blah. I know how that is. Its a pain in the ass with an automatic, always having to brake and shit...jk! but, my car is a lemon. Dealer wont fix my god damn actuator, my shit rattles everywhere, im getting like 1000 miles every 2 weeks, and its losing value very quickly, im tired of it, and i want something new. I probably sound like a spoiled brat or something but im not. Now, i know i will be going down the line getting an RSX but, i think it would be a better car for me. The only thing is, i dont want it to be slow as balls. I would be getting the Type S RSX btw. If i was going to go through with this, should i do a full trade, or should i sell it to acura, and then buy. I would rather sell and get more money than what the car would be worth so i still have a lil to hook it up with. Ok, start bringin in the replys. Not too many hot flames though, but lemme know what you think. Thanks in advance. </STRONG>