Looking to trade in my 06 Civic coupe SI for a TSX..

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011 | 12:25 AM
Cruisin'

Looking to trade in my 06 Civic coupe SI for a TSX..

Hey all Ive been a long time lurker on this site but never posted..

I bought my 06 SI when they 1st came out so its been almost 6 years now of ownership. Ive enjoyed it to the fullest but i think i am ready to move on to something more luxury based and roomier yet still very reliable. I am pretty set on a TSX since its still a Honda and features a great engine and everything else i am looking for. Ive had tons of bad luck with my current Civic so its really pushed me to consider this kind of trade in.

I currently have 81k and its paid off but i am not expecting to get a lot of $$ for a trade in although i can make back 5k at least from all my current mods to add to the trade in. I am looking for any advice on the best model year for the TSX,anything i should look out for and maybe typical mileage for one in the price range of 15k i dont want to spend more then that.

Any feedback would be appreciated..

Here is a pic of ym car as it is now for reference -

Old 07-12-2011 | 02:27 AM
I drive a Subata.

Hello! Good luck on your car shopping. TSX should serve you very well.

What do you have on your Si? Mod list? Just curious.
Old 07-12-2011 | 03:08 AM
Senior Moderator

Very nice civic

Most dealers won't care for modifications done to cars and may in fact detract money from the car. Sometimes the best thing to do is put it back to stock and make your money back from selling off the parts and then getting your trade in value.

If you don't mind me asking, what sort of bad luck have you had with your civic?

The TSX is a great replacement car, it has a fairly large aftermarket following esp. with having the K-Series motor in it.

The model year really depends on what TSX you want, there's the first generation from 2004-2008 and the second from 2009 to current.
Old 07-12-2011 | 10:59 AM

Great looking Si!

I've always been a huge fan of the TSX but it was a little too small for me when I drove it and that's how I wound up in a TL. Are you looking for an automatic or a 6-speed? Navi or non-navi? It looks like you are in NY but I can start searching around here in the Raleigh area to see how much they are going for.

Also, look up member "Shoofin". He owns his own car sales/leasing place and multiple members have bought cars through him. He's a great guy and I'm sure he could answer most of your questions
Old 07-12-2011 | 11:15 AM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

For 15k you will be able to find a lower mileage (60-70k yes some exist) miles 04 or 05 with navi for that price. If navi is not important you can probably get an 06 with probably 50-60k miles on it for the same price without navi. Only major thing I know of going bad on the 04-05 is the ac pump have been known to seize. I had mine happen with less than 40k miles on it. I will let you know if you are looking for a 6MT with a Navi the market is slim pickings. I am currently looking for one myself and have been for about 3 months now trying to find a better than average deal.
Old 07-12-2011 | 12:07 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by JS + MS3
Hello! Good luck on your car shopping. TSX should serve you very well.

What do you have on your Si? Mod list? Just curious.

<dl class="list_no_decoration profilefield_list"><dt class="shade" id="profilefield_title_10">Engine/Performance Modifications</dt><dd id="profilefield_value_10"> AEM cai
Skunk2 Mega Power Header V2
Invidia Q300 70mm exhaust
TWM Shifter & Base Bushings
TWM Stage 2 SS
Hondata FlashPro
Boomba Motor Mounts
Jackson Racing Super Charger
ID 725cc Injectors
Denso IK24 Spark Plugs
Aem UEGO Wideband Digital Gauge
Aem Digital Boost Gauge </dd><dt class="shade" id="profilefield_title_11">Wheel/Suspension Upgrades</dt><dd id="profilefield_value_11"> Skunk2 Pro C coil overs
Progress Rear Sway Bar
Skunk2 rear camber kit V2
Volk TE37 Time Attack 17x8 +48
Rays Black Lug Nuts
Kumho MX Summer Tires
Megan Racing rear lower tie bar
Megan Racing H brace
Megan Racing front lower tie bar
Hawk Ceramic pads front & rear
Russel SS Brake Lines </dd><dt class="shade" id="profilefield_title_12">Exterior Modifications</dt><dd id="profilefield_value_12"> HFP Body Kit
JDM Red Badges Front & Rear
Vis Mugen rr Style cf hood
WeatherTech Window Visors
Luminic Hyper White High Beam Bulbs
DDM 55W 6k Low Beam Hid
DC5 Amber Side Markers </dd><dt class="shade" id="profilefield_title_13">Interior Modifications</dt><dd id="profilefield_value_13"> Skunk2 Weighted Shift Knob
08 SI Shift Boot
FD2 JDM hazard light
OEM all season mats
Excelerate V2 dual gauge pod

Engine Bay -

Skunk2 oil cap Black Series
Skunk2 rad cap
Skunk2 reservoir sock
Wrinkle Black valve cover </dd></dl>
Old 07-12-2011 | 12:14 PM

Good lord. Pics of the engine bay with the S/C?

With all of the time and money put into that thing, I would keep it. BUT I'm sure it would be nice to have something a little more luxurious to drive around in as well.
Old 07-12-2011 | 12:18 PM
Safety Car

paid off? Keep the Civic, ride it til it dies. Pretty nice stuff you did to it...

However, having an 05 TSX myself, if I were to go back, I'd get an 06 6mt...it has the power upgrades and thus, has better potential for aftermarket upgrades. Just don't look for the kind of aftermarket or community that the civic had, the TSX community isn't quite to that level.
Old 07-12-2011 | 12:27 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Originally Posted by CarbonGray Earl
paid off? Keep the Civic, ride it til it dies. Pretty nice stuff you did to it...

However, having an 05 TSX myself, if I were to go back, I'd get an 06 6mt...it has the power upgrades and thus, has better potential for aftermarket upgrades. Just don't look for the kind of aftermarket or community that the civic had, the TSX community isn't quite to that level.
Engine wise now that the Kpro tuning option exists for the TSX anything you can do to the civic you can do to the TSX pretty much so tuning isn't out. I would actually say you could probably take all of your engine mods and move them to the TSX pretty much. The TSX aftermarket market is there. There are parts for everything in Japan for the car since it is used a lot as a track car. You will pay more for parts than the ones for you civic due to a smaller community but to say the community is not on the same level I wouldn't go that far. There are far less cheap parts which ebay is flooded with for the civc. You lose that community but from the mods lists I don't believe that is an issue for the OP.

I concur though. With what you have done to the Civic since it is paid off I would just keep it as a fun weekend car and drive it till it no longer runs. That is what I am doing with my TSX.
Old 07-12-2011 | 12:47 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by csmeance
Very nice civic

Most dealers won't care for modifications done to cars and may in fact detract money from the car. Sometimes the best thing to do is put it back to stock and make your money back from selling off the parts and then getting your trade in value.

If you don't mind me asking, what sort of bad luck have you had with your civic?

The TSX is a great replacement car, it has a fairly large aftermarket following esp. with having the K-Series motor in it.

The model year really depends on what TSX you want, there's the first generation from 2004-2008 and the second from 2009 to current.
I am looking for a 04-08 version i prefer the looks of that gen model..

I was hit by an 18 wheeler back in late 06 and received $13,500 in damage, Ive received 3 hit n runs = Front end,drivers side quarter panel,entire drivers side keyed badly.

Other then that its been bulletproof for 81k miles..

Originally Posted by CLtotheTL32
Great looking Si!

I've always been a huge fan of the TSX but it was a little too small for me when I drove it and that's how I wound up in a TL. Are you looking for an automatic or a 6-speed? Navi or non-navi? It looks like you are in NY but I can start searching around here in the Raleigh area to see how much they are going for.

Also, look up member "Shoofin". He owns his own car sales/leasing place and multiple members have bought cars through him. He's a great guy and I'm sure he could answer most of your questions
I have factory navi in my SI now so it has spoiled me lol.I would love the option in the tsx as well but if they are hard to find i would settle on aftermarket navi. I am looking for a 6 speed yes i learned stick on my Civic so Ive come to enjoy switching my own gears.

Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
For 15k you will be able to find a lower mileage (60-70k yes some exist) miles 04 or 05 with navi for that price. If navi is not important you can probably get an 06 with probably 50-60k miles on it for the same price without navi. Only major thing I know of going bad on the 04-05 is the ac pump have been known to seize. I had mine happen with less than 40k miles on it. I will let you know if you are looking for a 6MT with a Navi the market is slim pickings. I am currently looking for one myself and have been for about 3 months now trying to find a better than average deal.
I was afraid that was the case i have a few Acura dealers in my county so hopefully if i do go through with this i can find something along the lines that i am looking for.
Old 07-12-2011 | 12:54 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by CarbonGray Earl

TY i appreciate that its been a lot of blood,sweat and tears with this car.

If i get the TSX i would prob just do the Euro conversion,CT blower and maybe wheels just keep it simple.
Old 07-12-2011 | 12:56 PM
I drive a Subata.

That's a huge list of mods... hahahaha Impressive man!

Good luck finding your TSX!

Last edited by JS + XES; 07-12-2011 at 01:00 PM.
Old 07-12-2011 | 01:06 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by JS + MS3
That's a huge list of mods... hahahaha Impressive man!

Good luck finding your TSX!
LOL TY

I like the new MS3's they look very aggressive have serious TQ for dd esp with a mods such as you've done i dont see many on the road..
Old 07-12-2011 | 01:11 PM
Cruisin'

I know in reality it makes more sense to keep this car after all the time n effort put in too it. I will agree in some aspects and it would be time consuming to sell everything off and go back to stock. I just want a new start so i am trying to get the ball rolling and this was a good way to get an idea of what i am getting in too.
Old 07-12-2011 | 02:31 PM
1st Gear

well, if you dont have any luck trading it in you can always call one of those car buying services like i did...they took my car off my hands hassle free and payed me a decent price also. check them out
http://www.sellyourclunker.com
Old 07-12-2011 | 03:44 PM
Suzuka Master

damn thats an impressive si you go there. And props for not ricing it out lol

its tastefully modded

tsx is a good choice, one of the only acura/hondas i might consider new. Not with the V6 though.

Originally Posted by Wild_Will
LOL TY

I like the new MS3's they look very aggressive have serious TQ for dd esp with a mods such as you've done i dont see many on the road..
you should get one of these then
Old 07-12-2011 | 04:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Hey OP, welcome to AZ and you have a tastefully modded Si there.

You might consider heading on to our 1G TSX forum, if you haven't found it already, to talk to more actual owners:

https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-tsx-2004-2008-124/
Old 07-12-2011 | 04:16 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by speedemon90
damn thats an impressive si you go there. And props for not ricing it out lol

its tastefully modded

tsx is a good choice, one of the only acura/hondas i might consider new. Not with the V6 though.

you should get one of these then
TY ive tried to keep it clean and tasteful.

The thing is i dont want to finance again after having car payments the past few years i want nothing to do with it for a while. I would like to trade it in then add cash on top and buy the tsx on the spot with cash. I know its not going to be easy to find the 1 i am looking for but hopefully i can get the ball rolling shortly..
Old 07-12-2011 | 06:00 PM
5o9
'05 TSX 6MT

Don't want to discourage you cause you will improve the breed

Problems with first gen tsx are legion, read, they came up with over 100 bad things, and I got em all. Constant anoyances are dbw and brakes. I just love the complete lack of engine braking, any sort of econobox with AT does better at it.

Good luck finding a MT, heard only about 5% have it
Old 07-12-2011 | 06:03 PM
I drive a Subata.

Wow, really? I'd imagined there will be a lot of 6MT 1st gen TSX out there but guess not..
Old 07-12-2011 | 06:16 PM

^lazy Americans

In European countries, I'm sure there are relatively much more 6MT Euro Accord Rs. GL on finding one, I've always wanted a 6MT TSX for a daily myself, though I never tried looking for one.
Old 07-12-2011 | 06:49 PM
Cruisin'

I will do some more research tonight and start checking local dealers to see if anything is out there. It would take me a few months to get rid of everything on my car including the hfp body kit which is brand new. I am aware i will get full value if the car is completely stock and i can easily get back $800 for the body kit alone.