Lexus IS-F

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 04:43 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,747 Likes on 2,534 Posts
Well only now just saw this post. I actually just picked up a Ultrasonic Blue Mica 2008 IS-F with 24k miles on it. I was looking for something fun to drive with 4 doors although I know the backseat is cramped in the IS however I don't have 4 people in a car often I wanted it more for space to carrying things coming from borrowing my Dads suburban for the past few years as my primary car thus I didn't want a coupe. Performance wise the CTS-V would be good like people mentioned however an IS-F new was not even in my price range so neither was it. I got it used for basically the exact same price as a new IS350 which I had originally been considering. I made a post on another forum reguarding what I had been considering along with it at the current time and why I made my decision so I have included that below. Let me know if you have any questions.

Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey

Well a couple of things made the decision in the end. I wanted something to begin with that had more power from the get go than the TSX did or even does now with my 5psi Comptech supercharger setup.

I had started thinking about getting a IS350, EVO, or G37s as the next daily. G37 ended up being out from the start as I don't have a dealer home or near where I am currently staying in NC less than 40min away and I don't consider that ideal really. Quickly then ruled out the EVO since knowing myself it would turn into as much of a money pit as the TSX has and so far the IS line has limited mod support for now although the TSX started the same way. Since I have been working down in Charlotte for school right now I had only been looking in that area to begin with. I had also considered a 335i, both sedan and coupe, in the end decided I wanted a sedan if it was going to be my primary year round vehicle since I am coming from using my dads suburban and having endless amounts of space which would make a coupe just a shock in the storage sense. I ended up ruling out the 335i due to the high pressure fuel pump issue they have and the notion that most german car owners say it comes with the territory to expect your car in the shop to fix something at least once a year. At least thats what all my friends with them say.

When I decided to start looking at the market back home I happened upon the used IS-F. Happened to be from the same dealer my parents purchased there GS350 at two years ago. So using that in I was able to get them to knock a little off of the price and actually make it cheaper than a new IS350. Plus being a Toyota made product the reliability confidence is in my mind and I wanted something besides regular service I shouldn't have to spend anything on really.

So in the end that kinda sealed the deal cause personally I think buying a new new car and pissing away the money the moment you drive off the lot anymore seems silly especially in that price range of cars. I would much rather spend the same on a used with a better driving experience. Obviously though I wanted something certified so I could still have a warranty which this does and I went with 5 years 125k miles since I plan on doing lots and lots of driving in it.

And lastly back to the mod issue. The IS-F has even less options available than the IS350 and it looks modified to begin with compared to most cars on the road. So hopefully I can hold off for at least a year or more before touching it. Although my girl just laughs at me when I say that and says I bet you don't last even a month.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:50 PM
Waaaaaaaaaa.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
Well only now just saw this post. I actually just picked up a Ultrasonic Blue Mica 2008 IS-F with 24k miles on it. I was looking for something fun to drive with 4 doors although I know the backseat is cramped in the IS however I don't have 4 people in a car often I wanted it more for space to carrying things coming from borrowing my Dads suburban for the past few years as my primary car thus I didn't want a coupe. Performance wise the CTS-V would be good like people mentioned however an IS-F new was not even in my price range so neither was it. I got it used for basically the exact same price as a new IS350 which I had originally been considering. I made a post on another forum reguarding what I had been considering along with it at the current time and why I made my decision so I have included that below. Let me know if you have any questions.
Thanks for the informative post.

- How much did you end up getting the IS-F down to?
- I've heard some people say it's a harsh ride. Does the car feel like it's glued to the ground while it corners?
- I take it you don't get snow in your area? But in the off chance you've experienced bad weather how does the IS-F fare?
Old 09-08-2010, 10:20 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,747 Likes on 2,534 Posts
Originally Posted by kooty-sentinel
Thanks for the informative post.

- How much did you end up getting the IS-F down to?
Ended up getting the dealer down to little bit less than a loaded RWD IS350 here in the states costs.

- I've heard some people say it's a harsh ride. Does the car feel like it's glued to the ground while it corners?
In my opinion it is not a harsh ride as I have my TSX slammed to the ground (to the point I sometimes hit the subframe) on TEIN Flex coilovers which I have had for over 40k miles. So to me the ride is just nice and stiff. You definitely feel every imperfection in the road but I am used to that and like the handling benefits you get as a result of it.

I have only had it since last Friday and have put mostly traffic high way miles on it however in the brief spots I have gotten to push it it has felt very planted. There is probably a little more body roll than my TSX but I was already expecting that to be the case.

- I take it you don't get snow in your area? But in the off chance you've experienced bad weather how does the IS-F fare?
Well as above only had it since Friday so luckily I have had all sun since I picked it up. I am currently finishing of a Co-op this week and interviewing with the company which is in Charlotte, NC. However if I don't get and offer then I will end up moving back home to PA and thus I will find out how well it does in the snow. It got bad reviews by a couple publications on its winter performance however many owners on various F forums have said that they bought top of the line snow tires and have not had an issue. There are even two of them from Colorado which I would think if they can handle it there I should have that much of an issue in PA. The snow mode for the traction control takes away first gear as an option and always starts you in 2nd gear. It also lowers the shift points as well.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:02 PM
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
Pass on the ISF...8 gear automatic...really?

Rather get a M3 mt (dream car btw).
Old 09-13-2010, 02:28 AM
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I'm kind of a stickler or manual transmissions, particularly in a sporty car, and my experience with Toyotas was less than involving. However, I saw this ad earlier tonight, and it may be one of my favorite car ads ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SqYJkQjwG4

Just wanted to share.

Last edited by Carraway; 09-13-2010 at 02:30 AM.