Lexus IS

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 01:52 PM
Persuit of twin turbo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pimpin-tl
Painted plastic and plastic all over the dash, doors is proof its not made as well as it use to be.

So stop being a Lexus fan boy.

Yes the IS300 had better quality. Chrome solid feeling shifter and ball. Solid door panels, less plastic on the dash and so on.

Haha, I love when you comment on a car that you like, how you immediately become a "fanboy" of that particular car.

If you would have noted earlier, I had a 330ci and loved it, more than the IS. it's like me callling you a Lexus troll... what's the point.

Lexus wouldn't be within the top 3 of each car class if they weren't good. You comment on these cars as if you've owned them. I've owned a BMW, Acura and Lexus, and from my experience, the BMW and Lexus are the more solid, better quality feeling cars.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:54 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenMonster
I don't think I could daily drive a 4cly. FWD vehicle unless I had a sportscar (vette, 911, etc) in the garage for the weekend. If someone made a RWD 4banger, I'd be all over it tho'...

I hear ya Greenie, but when most of my driving is bumper to bumper on the freeway - I hardly need rwd dynamics and sub 6 sec 0-60 engine.

The TSX is the perfect sled for commuting. But yes, a quick, rwd sports car would be the perfect complement as a weekend car.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:55 PM
Persuit of twin turbo

Your arugement isn't valid.
And how's that? i've pointed out the same flaws that you claim the IS to have with another manufacturer.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:55 PM
Persuit of twin turbo

Originally Posted by 65 Fury Convert
I second the lack of room in the back. I was really surprised at how little leg room there is.
Legroom in the back sucks, even though I've never sat back there, it seems damn tight.
Old 12-06-2006, 02:04 PM
Burn some dust here

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
RyanDe60 (Lexus Fanboy) VS. pimpin-tl (Honda Fanboy) > Ali Vs. Frasier
Old 12-06-2006, 02:11 PM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
Definitely not a Honda fanboy. I have owned Lots of Nissans. This is actually my 2nd Honda Product I have owned. We owned two 07 Camrys that were bought back by Toyota due to flaws, we have owned a RX300, and many Nissans and GM products.
Old 12-06-2006, 03:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Im no lexus fanboy and i agree with Ryan.

I think the problem is that lexus has set a high standard being #1 in charts for years thats its easy to find little issues and turning them into huge one. I mean are we really complaining about scratches on wood? Is that all there is left to talk shit about?

But in reality, these are MINOR issues when comparing to other car manufacturers.
Old 12-06-2006, 04:47 PM
Safety Car

Well Transmission failures aren't minor. lol. ES350 are having them as well. Rattles are problems.
Old 12-06-2006, 04:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Well Transmission failures aren't minor. lol. ES350 are having them as well. Rattles are problems.

Didnt know the IS was having transmission issues too. I dont have an account on clublex, can you post a link or two about it?
Old 12-06-2006, 05:25 PM
Persuit of twin turbo

Yeah please do. I want to see more IS tranny failure issues. Please.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:40 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazy Sellout
Im no lexus fanboy and i agree with Ryan.

I think the problem is that lexus has set a high standard being #1 in charts for years thats its easy to find little issues and turning them into huge one. I mean are we really complaining about scratches on wood? Is that all there is left to talk shit about?

But in reality, these are MINOR issues when comparing to other car manufacturers.
I agree. But I think that's an enviable position to be in... to be held to such high standards. I'd bet the people at GM would love to have us argue about scratches in the wood rather than...other quality aspects of GM interiors.
Old 12-07-2006, 12:20 AM
Burning Brakes

i can't understand why ppl would buy a IS250 over the new G35....G35 starts at $32k here in houston
Old 12-07-2006, 08:28 AM
Race Director

Because people are stupid and don't use no common sense or practicality when they shop for a car. It's all about the name.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:45 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by MaximaPower
i can't understand why ppl would buy a IS250 over the new G35....G35 starts at $32k here in houston

Only reason I can think of is exterior styling (subjective) and the Lexus name.
Old 12-09-2006, 07:26 PM
Instructor

As good as all of these competitors are, let's not forget these few things that set the IS above its Japanese competition:

- Auto-dimming side view mirrors. To my knowledge, no Acura or Infiniti has this, let alone the entry level players we're discussing here. As anyone who has driven a car with auto-dimming side view mirrors can attest, you'll never want to live without them.

- Better leather quality. Lexus has superior knowledge of the luxury car business and it shows in their materials. The leather in the IS is arguably superior to that used in the M45 and RL.

- Better customer service. From its inception, Lexus has been a brand focused on the customer. No other luxury manufacturer is so utterly consumed with pleasing its customers.

- Sound deadening and solidness. Sure, it's not as quiet as an S-Class or LS460, but the IS puts the TSX and G35 to shame in this department. Lexus is the only Japanese manufacturer to hone in on this bank vault feel often praised by Mercedes and BMW owners.

- Safety. If you hang around car forums, you probably hate VDIM, but it's an awesome piece of technology. Neither the TSX nor the G35 has stability systems as sophisticated or well integrated as those in the IS.

- Standard "Keyless Go." As gimmicky as some may perceive it to be, this is a great innovation, and Lexus showed its dedication to progressive technology by making it standard equipment in all sedans.

- PCS. While few opt for the pre collision system, it's impressive that Lexus allows even those who want a small car (or can't afford a larger Lexus sedan) to benefit from this life saving technology that debuted on the LS430 not long ago. This is just one of the many examples of Lexus making a smaller Lexus, not a content-free Lexus. Nearly every feature available on other Lexus sedans has found its way onto the IS option list. Few automakers can make this claim.

Simply, Lexus knows a hell of a lot more about luxury customers and luxury vehicles than Acura and Infiniti combined. This is not to say that the TSX and G35 are not fine vehicles, because they are. If I were looking for a sport sedan under $30,000 I'd look no further than the TSX. Similarly, if I wanted a bigger car than the IS and couldn't spend more than 37 or 38k, the G35 would be mine. Yet, Lexus' superior build quality, customer service, and feature content justify the IS's higher price. So yeah, it might not be as "sporty" or well balanced as [insert competing vehicle], but those little Lexus touches put it in a class all its own.
Old 12-09-2006, 07:59 PM
Pro

the G's interior looks really good with wood. For everything you get with its price, it definitely is the best in class imo

Old 12-09-2006, 08:09 PM
Pinky all stinky

I like it, but I'm not a fan of matte finish wood.
Old 12-09-2006, 08:14 PM
Burning Brakes

love the wood in the G....not a fan of that really shiny wood trim

wolfeman: buy urself the IS...seems like a lexus will be the only car that'll make u happy and u should be happy with what u get.
Old 12-09-2006, 08:44 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by wolfeman314
As good as all of these competitors are, let's not forget these few things that set the IS above its Japanese competition:

- Auto-dimming side view mirrors. To my knowledge, no Acura or Infiniti has this, let alone the entry level players we're discussing here. As anyone who has driven a car with auto-dimming side view mirrors can attest, you'll never want to live without them.

- Better leather quality. Lexus has superior knowledge of the luxury car business and it shows in their materials. The leather in the IS is arguably superior to that used in the M45 and RL.

- Better customer service. From its inception, Lexus has been a brand focused on the customer. No other luxury manufacturer is so utterly consumed with pleasing its customers.

- Sound deadening and solidness. Sure, it's not as quiet as an S-Class or LS460, but the IS puts the TSX and G35 to shame in this department. Lexus is the only Japanese manufacturer to hone in on this bank vault feel often praised by Mercedes and BMW owners.

- Safety. If you hang around car forums, you probably hate VDIM, but it's an awesome piece of technology. Neither the TSX nor the G35 has stability systems as sophisticated or well integrated as those in the IS.

- Standard "Keyless Go." As gimmicky as some may perceive it to be, this is a great innovation, and Lexus showed its dedication to progressive technology by making it standard equipment in all sedans.

- PCS. While few opt for the pre collision system, it's impressive that Lexus allows even those who want a small car (or can't afford a larger Lexus sedan) to benefit from this life saving technology that debuted on the LS430 not long ago. This is just one of the many examples of Lexus making a smaller Lexus, not a content-free Lexus. Nearly every feature available on other Lexus sedans has found its way onto the IS option list. Few automakers can make this claim.

Simply, Lexus knows a hell of a lot more about luxury customers and luxury vehicles than Acura and Infiniti combined. This is not to say that the TSX and G35 are not fine vehicles, because they are. If I were looking for a sport sedan under $30,000 I'd look no further than the TSX. Similarly, if I wanted a bigger car than the IS and couldn't spend more than 37 or 38k, the G35 would be mine. Yet, Lexus' superior build quality, customer service, and feature content justify the IS's higher price. So yeah, it might not be as "sporty" or well balanced as [insert competing vehicle], but those little Lexus touches put it in a class all its own.

You have Lexus fanboy written all over you right there with your little commentary. You shouldn't even be here and just stay in the Lexus "Overpriced Toyota" forums.
Old 12-09-2006, 09:04 PM
Instructor

Yeah yeah, I had a feeling no one would give my commentary any credibility. Wander over to the RDX forums and you'll see I feel strongly that Acura knows what it's doing, too. The IS is simply a cut above the G, TL, and TSX. It is in better company with the 3-series, and its quality reflects that. But as usual in forums, go on dismissing me, what do I know. . .
Old 12-09-2006, 09:07 PM
Pinky all stinky

^ I agree with some things he say.
Old 12-09-2006, 09:37 PM
Dan
Safety Car

Received 220 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
You have Lexus fanboy written all over you right there with your little commentary. You shouldn't even be here and just stay in the Lexus "Overpriced Toyota" forums.
I have one of each, so I hangout in both the "overpriced toyota" AND the "overpriced honda" forums.
Old 12-10-2006, 12:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
Why is it every single time someone on this board says they like Lexus a lot they are automatically singled out.

Guess what? I LOVE Lexus. I think they are top notch luxury cars.

Would I pick a IS250/350 over a new G35 Sedan...No. And the ONLY reason is because the IS350 doesnt come with a stick shift.

The G35 is a fantastic sedan. And so is the IS. One is more Raw power, one is more out and out luxury. Both perform.

So why don't you chill out and lay off someone because they really like a car.

I thought we were on here because we are car fans, not car biggots.
Old 12-10-2006, 12:37 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by MaximaPower
love the wood in the G....not a fan of that really shiny wood trim

wolfeman: buy urself the IS...seems like a lexus will be the only car that'll make u happy and u should be happy with what u get.
'
I agree, sounds like a Troll to me. You can get all those options wolf if you pay close to 40k for the IS. The G35 and TL are a much better bargain with basically all the standard features the IS has for a lot cheaper. And Toyota build quality lately hasn't been that good. The ES and IS show it compared to the older cars.

G35 is a better overall performance oriented car than the IS with luxury as well.

And the leather in the RL is damn good, I sat in a IS and it wasn't near as soft.
Old 12-10-2006, 12:39 AM
Dan
Safety Car

Received 220 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by CarForAllSeasons
Why is it every single time someone on this board says they like Lexus a lot they are automatically singled out.

Guess what? I LOVE Lexus. I think they are top notch luxury cars.

Would I pick a IS250/350 over a new G35 Sedan...No. And the ONLY reason is because the IS350 doesnt come with a stick shift.

The G35 is a fantastic sedan. And so is the IS. One is more Raw power, one is more out and out luxury. Both perform.

So why don't you chill out and lay off someone because they really like a car.

I thought we were on here because we are car fans, not car biggots.
Who let you in here and why are you making sense?
Old 12-10-2006, 12:40 AM
Banned

'
And the leather in the RL is damn good, I sat in a IS and it wasn't near as soft.
Thats because a sport oriented luxury car isnt going to have near as plush seats as a flagship luxury cruiser.
Old 12-10-2006, 12:46 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dan
Who let you in here and why are you making sense?
Believe me, there are people right now that would like to know

As for wolfeman, I was just looking him up and looking at his past posts, where as he said are over in the RDX forums.

The man is not a troll.

You people are blind with Lexus hate, jealously, whatever. I swear 1Sicklex left a bad taste in peoples mouths. So, again, why don't all you people who jump down the throat of a person who likes Lexus a lot just chill out.
Old 12-10-2006, 12:49 AM
Safety Car

I have owned Lexus vehicles, and sorry but they are boring. They are definitely not all that. And personally, I don't like Lexus and BMW fans. Because they are some of the most hard core fanatics and think they are the shit compared to any other car out there. But in reality they are just blinded.
Old 12-10-2006, 12:53 AM
Banned

I have owned Lexus vehicles, and sorry but they are boring. They are definitely not all that.
Considering Lexus' main demographic doesn't cater or market to NASCAR fans, import tuners, Dragstrip runners, autocrossers, road ralley fans, etc. I would just venture to say you just made one hell of an obvious statement from an enthusiasts point of view.

But the new IS is a pretty fun car to drive. And I expect huge things from the IS-F.
Old 12-10-2006, 12:54 AM
Safety Car

I would definitely like to own a IS-F.
Old 12-10-2006, 01:01 AM
Banned

I have owned Lexus vehicles, and sorry but they are boring. They are definitely not all that. And personally, I don't like Lexus and BMW fans. Because they are some of the most hard core fanatics and think they are the shit compared to any other car out there. But in reality they are just blinded.
Well, now that you just edited your statement I'll add that your somewhat ignorant as well. Sure a lot of people get blinded by the badge on their hood, or brand loyalty. The first half is unfortunate, but you can't say their aren't acura owners or honda or toyota etc who arent the same way. But as far as the second part of my statement, well, I'd say the car makers are doing something really right to invoke such loyalty. People look for different things in different cars. And you are in denial if you say BMW doesnt make some of the best, most fun to drive, top handling, steering feedback, high end sport luxury cars, or Lexus doesnt make some of most solid, quiet, luxurious, customer oriented, reliable cars on the road.

Its not rocket science, Its just opening your eyes to the fact that not everyone is looking for the same thing out of a vehicle that you are, or I am, or the next guy is.
Old 12-10-2006, 03:30 AM

Im looking to sell my TL this month and get a new daily driver. So far the IS350 and G35C are looking real nice.

The IS350 reminds me of a chick's car even though its a great looking car. I would love to get into a GS350 AWD but the $7000 price difference is really a big factor. Looking to spend at the most $40,000-$45,000.

All I care about is an automatic transmission (although I can deal with MT), decent gas milage, safety, and reliability! For now I'm going to shy away from euro, atleast for now

so far my choices... What would you guys go with?
- IS350
GS350AWD
G35C
G35sedan
M45
Acura TL -S
RL
MDX
FX35
IS250 AWD
ES350
RX400
Old 12-10-2006, 06:42 AM
Senior Moderator

335i with an extended warranty. duh.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:38 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,662 Likes on 927 Posts
Originally Posted by Edr0e
Im looking to sell my TL this month and get a new daily driver. So far the IS350 and G35C are looking real nice.

The IS350 reminds me of a chick's car even though its a great looking car. I would love to get into a GS350 AWD but the $7000 price difference is really a big factor. Looking to spend at the most $40,000-$45,000.

All I care about is an automatic transmission (although I can deal with MT), decent gas milage, safety, and reliability! For now I'm going to shy away from euro, atleast for now

so far my choices... What would you guys go with?
- IS350
GS350AWD
G35C
G35sedan
M45
Acura TL -S
RL
MDX
FX35
IS250 AWD
ES350
RX400
If utility is important then get the 07 MDX. Aside from that, the Infiniti M45 IMHO is the best sub $60k sedan on the market. But, it is priced beyond most of the other cars on that list. The new G35X is hard to beat; combining value, performance and luxury it is coming VERY close to bumping the E90 as king of mountain.

Sidenote: Admittedly, I am a "Nissan Fan Boy!"
Old 12-10-2006, 09:50 AM
Burn some dust here

Some of the comments made in this thread are absolutely hilarious.

If Lexus = Overpriced Toyota, then, by default, Acura = overpriced Honda and Infiniti = overpriced Nissan. Right?

By the way, you can't get the wood trim on sport G35 models, which (as I said earlier) is my main problem with Acura and Infiniti. Typical Honda and Nissan...you have to buy the car they offer and not the one you want.
Old 12-10-2006, 09:51 AM
Burn some dust here

Originally Posted by Crazy Sellout
335i with an extended warranty. duh.
335i > *
Old 12-10-2006, 10:14 AM
Safety Car

I did not edit my statement. If I did it would show it. And this forum does not allow you to edit after so long.

Sorry if I am just not blinded by one or two brands. I see nothing special on a BMW over a G35 IMHO.

Originally Posted by CarForAllSeasons
Well, now that you just edited your statement I'll add that your somewhat ignorant as well. Sure a lot of people get blinded by the badge on their hood, or brand loyalty. The first half is unfortunate, but you can't say their aren't acura owners or honda or toyota etc who arent the same way. But as far as the second part of my statement, well, I'd say the car makers are doing something really right to invoke such loyalty. People look for different things in different cars. And you are in denial if you say BMW doesnt make some of the best, most fun to drive, top handling, steering feedback, high end sport luxury cars, or Lexus doesnt make some of most solid, quiet, luxurious, customer oriented, reliable cars on the road.

Its not rocket science, Its just opening your eyes to the fact that not everyone is looking for the same thing out of a vehicle that you are, or I am, or the next guy is.
Old 12-10-2006, 11:26 AM
Banned

I did not edit my statement. If I did it would show it. And this forum does not allow you to edit after so long.

Sorry if I am just not blinded by one or two brands. I see nothing special on a BMW over a G35 IMHO.
You went back and added the second half after your original post (because I was replying to the first half.) That constitutes an edit. I know all about the 5 minutes rule, and if you are quick enough to get an edit if right after the initial post it will not show it marked as edited.

Now, with the game of "lets try and fool noob" over with thats great you are blinded by brands. Though you seem to hold some people who favor brands in disdain. I do not mind fanboys, they found a car they love. What I do not like are obnoxious zealots. There is a difference.
Old 12-10-2006, 11:35 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
^^ hmmm... sounds like a former member... I wonder if instead of Oak Ridge, TN the location should be listed as Carkoon, Tatooine
Old 12-10-2006, 11:40 AM
Safety Car

Oh really? lol

Quick Reply: Lexus IS