Legend GS 6-speed (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010 | 05:05 PM
Team Owner

Outstanding pics-the 2nd one is postcard quality!

National Acura Meet-June 6th/Kansas City-ONE WEEK AWAY!!!.
Click here for details and to sign up!

Old 05-29-2010 | 05:21 PM
この道は毛むくじゃらのマンコだらけ..

Originally Posted by 4cruizn

Not yet, but I've done nearly 40 of them! Coupe is doing well. I've only been towed one time, and it was when the original fuel pump went out at 399,750 miles. Other than that it's been pretty smooth sailing. Hope to see ya soon Eric. I'm actually rolling out to LA this morning... spending a couple days in Huntington.
Awesome! You're definitely exploring uncharted waters, running the highest milage Legends out there to the limit. Let's see if you can get it to 800K!
Tyson i'll see if I can take a break and come meet you out in Huntington sometime... I've missed the past few meets when you've come to socal because of school. Maybe we can meet up with Ferjie and a few of the other Legend people around the OC and have a impromptu meet or something. I'll give you a call!
Old 05-29-2010 | 07:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Legends FTMFW.

You are a lucky bastard to own two of them.

The trip to Alaska must have been epic.
Old 05-29-2010 | 07:24 PM

Not one of my favorite Acuras, but one of my favorite cars ever, to this day

I wanted a 6-speed coupe so badly as my first car, and looked for one after that too, but still couldn't find a decent one for a decent price.
Old 05-30-2010 | 01:06 AM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

How do you rack up so many miles? In 2006 you had 200K and now you're at 425K, that's incredible.

Your thread made me recall an episode of Married with Children where Al had nearly 1 million miles on his car.
Old 05-30-2010 | 01:33 AM
אני עומד עם ישראל

While driving back from my mom's house with my girl and my dog in the car some 6 speed black 4 door Legend comes running up on me. Anyways, some dude with his teenage soon. Stock with painted red calipers (don't ask) and acura-legend.com stickers on it.

135k on his as I asked when we were at a stop light. I asked him if he heard of that guy who went to Alaska with his Legend and how it has over 400k on it. He sure did. Seems like you're a Legend dude. No pun intended...
Old 05-30-2010 | 09:26 AM
AZ Community Team

I am just a roadtripper and always wanted to do it. Then I started doing my research and realized it was actually doable. There is a book called the Milepost that is published annually that literally has turn-by-turn directions to get you from the lower 48 up to AK. It was an awesome drive.

Thanks!

Keep searchin, they do pop up every once in awhile.. There's a really clean black on black GS 6MT in the SF Bay Area right now with 214k on it, but the guy wants $7k+.
Looked at your pictures on Acura-Legend.com from your Alaska journey, great pictures. When I find some time I want to do what you did and visit as many states as possible. My cousin as soon as he retired spent two years traveling the lower 48, he too had a great time. Neat that you could visit 40 states before you turned 30!

i just checked yesterday there was a 4AT 4dr GS in Herdon, VA. The last time I saw a used 6MT GS was a couple years ago and it was a 2dr. Gotta keep searching, it's for my oldest daughter.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 05-30-2010 at 09:29 AM.
Old 06-01-2010 | 05:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by jim165
Those roads are spectacular...I want to ride them on my bike!
Agreed - wish it would be a blast to roll down that hill. It's a one-way only (downhill). Very little traffic.
Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
My wife drives our '97 TL with a Type II head swap but it's stuck with an auto..
I recognize your name. Have always liked the 96-98 TL. My mom had a 97 pearl white 3.2 TL back in the way, with Inspire tails and the whole nine yards.
Originally Posted by F23A4
....and the Legend (or RL) hasn't been the same since.
That's kind of why I've kept these old Legends as long as I have. I'd love a newer car but Acura's current offerings (except perhaps for a TL-S 6MT) don't really interest me.
Originally Posted by civicdrivr
^ Yup. Acuras hey-day was the early-mid 90s. They've never been the same since going to that BS alpha-numeric naming system.
Yeah, this car was definitely over-engineered. Window sticker is $42,000! That was a heck of a lot of money 16 years ago. Still is today, in fact.
Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
Time to convert my RL into a Legend, JDM badges FTW
Haha, do it!!
Originally Posted by civicdrivr
Are those foglights OEM?
Yes and they're impossible to find! I ended up sourcing parts from about 3 different people and eventually was able to put together a complete set (you can't get very many "new" accessories anymore from the Acura parts department). Lots of this stuff has been discontinued for years. I did swap in some PIAA yellow Ion H3 bulbs in place of the stock bulbs though.
Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Outstanding pics-the 2nd one is postcard quality!
Thanks!
Originally Posted by onebadna1nsx
i'll see if I can take a break and come meet you out in Huntington sometime... I've missed the past few meets when you've come to socal because of school
I know, haven't seen you around much. Huntington was great - total circus with all the crowds - but the weather couldn't have been better. I'll hit you up again next time I'm heading out that way.
Originally Posted by neuronbob
The trip to Alaska must have been epic.
It was. Let's plan an Acura caravan and cruise up there...
Originally Posted by Mourning Would
I wanted a 6-speed coupe so badly as my first car, and looked for one after that too, but still couldn't find a decent one for a decent price.
I was in the same boat. I upgraded from a Prelude Si which I loved, but I had lusted after the Legend coupe for so many years I was thrilled when I finally found one. Coming across the matching sedan was just dumb luck. I couldn't let it pass by when I saw it.
Originally Posted by Eoanou
How do you rack up so many miles? In 2006 you had 200K and now you're at 425K, that's incredible.
Lots and lots of leisure travel. People always say, "You must have a really long commute." But I don't! My round-trip to the office each day is 20 miles. Where the miles come is on the weekends. I travel to NV, CA, or UT almost every weekend. My highest mileage calendar year was 2006 at around 60,000 miles. It's all easy highway miles.
Originally Posted by Hapa DC5
Seems like you're a Legend dude. No pun intended...
That's funny you came across someone who knew me. Yeah I've been active on the Legend boards for years and I go to meets all across the country. In the fall of 2008 I drove to New Jersey for the tri-state meet out there.
Originally Posted by Legend2TL
Gotta keep searching, it's for my oldest daughter.
Keep your eyes and ears open! Great (safe) car for a daughter. Good luck.
Old 06-01-2010 | 05:48 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Holy hell, those are sweet cars! If I ever come across one at a decent price in Jacksonville, I might have to consider giving my wife a second child for that car. Of course, the car would be worth it!
Old 06-01-2010 | 08:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

That's funny you came across someone who knew me. Yeah I've been active on the Legend boards for years and I go to meets all across the country. In the fall of 2008 I drove to New Jersey for the tri-state meet out there.

So that means I can expect you at the next central FL meet right?
Old 06-01-2010 | 09:59 PM
Drifting

Awesome!
Old 06-01-2010 | 11:23 PM
Pro

a few things:

I myself always was a fan of the Legends. I remember the coupe of course, but specifically the GS sedan. I remember one of the big 3 magazines testing one back in the day when it came out, and they referred to the GS as standing for "Good Stuff." I think it was Motor Trend.

I also remember the GS (with the 230hp motor) being quite quick. I also remember hearing that the coupe's top speed was 160MPH, but I can't remember verifying it.

You seriously have 425k on the stock clutch? Niiiiiice. I expect my clutch in my TL to hopefully last 140k, but that blew me out of the water.

I took your photo of the odo and put it on my facebook with the caption that says "This is why I bought an Acura." Lol I hope you don't mind.

Acura needs to bring back the Legend name, who cares if it messes up the TL, RL, TSX theme they've got going on. It's just a sick name for a car, and that car always had the goods to back it up. The RL is a joke by comparison.

I remember when I was like 16, this girl that I worked with had like an '87 red Legend (one of the first ones), and I was literally BLOWN AWAY when I saw that it had over 200k on it and was so nice, drove well, etc.

And it's awesome that you just take off to take off; I always have said that I'm gonna pack up and drive all over the country while I'm still reasonably young.

Great cars, I especially like the 400k+ aspect!
Old 06-02-2010 | 07:11 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by ajt123
a few things:

I myself always was a fan of the Legends. I remember the coupe of course, but specifically the GS sedan. I remember one of the big 3 magazines testing one back in the day when it came out, and they referred to the GS as standing for "Good Stuff." I think it was Motor Trend.

I also remember the GS (with the 230hp motor) being quite quick. I also remember hearing that the coupe's top speed was 160MPH, but I can't remember verifying it.

You seriously have 425k on the stock clutch? Niiiiiice. I expect my clutch in my TL to hopefully last 140k, but that blew me out of the water.

I took your photo of the odo and put it on my facebook with the caption that says "This is why I bought an Acura." Lol I hope you don't mind.

Acura needs to bring back the Legend name, who cares if it messes up the TL, RL, TSX theme they've got going on. It's just a sick name for a car, and that car always had the goods to back it up. The RL is a joke by comparison.

I remember when I was like 16, this girl that I worked with had like an '87 red Legend (one of the first ones), and I was literally BLOWN AWAY when I saw that it had over 200k on it and was so nice, drove well, etc.

And it's awesome that you just take off to take off; I always have said that I'm gonna pack up and drive all over the country while I'm still reasonably young.

The highest mileage I ever heard of a Acura was a 1g Legend with 600K+ miles that was serviced by Acura West, the owner bought it new and was in sales. I never saw the car but the Acura tech said it had the original motor and transaxle and looked pretty nice for it's age and mileage.
Old 06-04-2010 | 09:37 AM
boost owns

My father owned an Automatic copy of your Sedan, and it was my favorite car my family had growing up. It's what turned me to the Acura badge and got me to buy my TSX in 2006.

Your cars are both gorgeous and I am very jealous of them. You've got some absolute classics there. Enjoy them.
Old 06-04-2010 | 10:43 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by gatrhumpy
If I ever come across one at a decent price in Jacksonville, I might have to consider giving my wife a second child for that car.
Haha - small price to pay, right?
Originally Posted by OLD_HATCH
So that means I can expect you at the next central FL meet right?
I would love to - I've been wanting to trek out to FL but just need the time off and the $$!
Originally Posted by Sclass88
Awesome!
Thanks!
Originally Posted by ajt123
I remember one of the big 3 magazines testing one back in the day when it came out, and they referred to the GS as standing for "Good Stuff." I think it was Motor Trend. I also remember the GS (with the 230hp motor) being quite quick. I also remember hearing that the coupe's top speed was 160MPH, but I can't remember verifying it.

Thanks a lot man. Yeah I have a huge box full of magazine articles, brochures, etc on the Legend. I could probably dig up the Motor Trend reference that you're quoting, haha.

Yes, the Type II speedo goes to 160 and I've taken my coupe to around the high 130's range. I've actually raced the car twice in an open road race (www.openroadracing.com) called the Bonneville 100. I competed in the 100 mph class one year, and the 105 mph class the following year. It's a 100 mile race. The car (even with over 300,000 miles) held its own against new Corvettes, Porsches, etc.

http://www.acura-legend.com/vbulleti...-coupe-124375/

Yes about 426k on the original clutch believe it or not. I've got detailed maintenance records (read: every single piece of paper) for the entire life of the car, back to its first oil change in 1994. And I track it all in an Excel spreadsheet. I can tell you every part that has (and hasn't) been changed, and the clutch in the car is still the original. PM me your email if you're curious to see the spreadsheet.

Agree, the Legend name is one of the best in car naming history! The RL continues to be sold as the Honda Legend elsewhere in the world.
Originally Posted by Legend2TL
The highest mileage I ever heard of a Acura was a 1g Legend with 600K+ miles that was serviced by Acura West, the owner bought it new and was in sales.
I believe it!
Originally Posted by Audioserf
My father owned an Automatic copy of your Sedan, and it was my favorite car my family had growing up. It's what turned me to the Acura badge and got me to buy my TSX in 2006.
I have a similar story. My mom bought a 1993 Legend L sedan in 1997 when I was 16. It's the vehicle that got me into Acura, and I've never seriously considered buying any other brand since then!
Old 06-04-2010 | 02:11 PM
Drifting

Is that your coupe in the picture - 6SPD? Mine was the same color - called "Rosewood Beige Metallic" in '92.

That car had the most depth and highest quality paint I've seen on a mass-produced car. Still looked showroom new when I sold it a few months ago. (I wish I had had the garage space to keep it).

My coupe drew compliments every time I had it out. When it was newer, it would not be unusual to come out of a restaurant and see several people checking it out, peering inside, etc. One older fellow admiring it in a small town one time asked "is that a Jaguar"?

Truly a high quality car and timeless design. Take good care of yours.
Old 06-04-2010 | 02:22 PM
registered pw

this thread reminds me why i like the rl and why i bought another. I never buy the same car twice.