2.5t STI
60.76%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Which is King of 33k? GTO vs STI

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2005, 09:26 PM
Burn some dust here

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
It's the interior that ruins the STI for me. The Subaru would be a fun weekend car but for everyday driving, I'd take the GTO interior. Plus all-wheel drive means nothing because I would never need it in GA, FL, or AL.

Old 05-29-2005, 09:28 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
interior of the GTO is softer on the eyes no doubt....suspension setup is better suited for day to day driving as well BUT....i'm on into driving around a grand pix knockoff.....
Old 05-29-2005, 09:38 PM
Burn some dust here

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Zapata
interior of the GTO is softer on the eyes no doubt....suspension setup is better suited for day to day driving as well BUT....i'm on into driving around a grand pix knockoff.....
Ahhh...

I pretty much stick to highways so I just need straight go-go, none of that twisty shit.
Old 05-29-2005, 10:32 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cusdaddy
Here's my take on the winter situation: This winter I was in a pretty bad snow storm in my friend's STi. He still had his high performance summer tires on the STi, but we got stuck on a hill. I have a Z with Blizzak's and it actually performs better in the snow - better IMO than a STi with the summer tires. .
You know my take on the rwd situation when it comes to snow, but the fact still remains an STi with snows will eat a GTO with snows all day long (the GTO is still a 400hp rwd vehicle). Next, the stock STi tires like you said are hard core performance tires.....they are indeed useless in the snow.

Styling wise, rally cars were never about looking gorgeous.....they are functional pieces of equipment. The same applies with the rally inspired Evo and STi.

Then again, the GTO isn't exactly the prom queen either.

Like I said before, the GTO is cool....but for those of us that don't keep cars for 4 years +. The GTO will be nothing less than a sinking ship.

I'm actually not biased, just call them as I see them. I have an STi, but that isn't swaying my opinion (for starters I'm selling the car).
Old 05-29-2005, 11:03 PM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
why you selling the sti beltfed?
Old 05-29-2005, 11:24 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by zeroday
why you selling the sti beltfed?
Its just time for it to go, wil probably stay with the M3 for the time being (has very little mileage on it).

Honestly, this is the same situation that happened when I had the Viper/CL-S.

I'm paying all this $ for a 2nd car that get's very little use.

If I had nothing better to do with the $, obviously I wouldn't care.

Was considering getting a Jeep, but I'm going to hold off.
Old 05-30-2005, 12:53 AM
Suzuka Master

daily driver: GTO
STi if I am looking for pure performance. so weekend car or 2nd car I'd go STi
Old 05-30-2005, 07:41 AM
GEEZER

Received 2,224 Likes on 1,421 Posts
Originally Posted by Beltfed
If you care about resale..........don't buy a GTO, hello CL-S all over again.

The STi holds their values very well, along with the Evo.
What is your opinion of the Legacy 2.5 GT?? I drove one and loved it! I flushed the idea of a GTO down the crapper because of gas prices. Now I am down to the legacy GT and the Mazdaspeed 6 for CL replacements.
Old 05-30-2005, 10:24 AM
Suzuka Master

i'm sorry, every winter driving thread with RWD alwaays brings out the cusdaddy , "but my Z with blizzaks was good" comment.

you are comparing RWD car with 300+ ftlbs of trq where nobody in the right mind would put snow tires on and drive around unless you have a death wish to a rally car that's proven itself in the snow and ice????? You're friend, was ann idiot for driving around in the winter with performance summer tires....sorry....what did you expect???? Summer rubber is soft and turns to stone in colder temps. In no way are those tires meant for the snow. For you to even make the assertation that your line of logic is remotely valid in evaluting the STi v. GTO is a little out there. Shit when you buy the car they tell you the tires are for the summer only..... How can you even make that comparison?@#$@#

You can have your preference of the GTO over the STi but to say that they are equal in the snow because the STi comes with summer tires is
You as always completely fail to understand the point. Of course AWD is > than RWD in the snow.

Since I'll have to spell it out for you again, the point I'm making is that the STi and GTO BOTH require expensive snow tires in order to be effective in the snow. Yes, a STi with snow tires will of course perform better than a GTO with snow tires, but we don't live in Antartica, so 99% of most snow storms, either car with appropriate tires will get you around fine.

I bring up my Z because it shows how a high powered car with snow tires can get around fine. Much better than the CL with the stock Pilots. A combination of traction control and a light right foot that gets around the torque.
Old 05-30-2005, 10:34 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by 1killercls
What is your opinion of the Legacy 2.5 GT?? I drove one and loved it! I flushed the idea of a GTO down the crapper because of gas prices. Now I am down to the legacy GT and the Mazdaspeed 6 for CL replacements.
Very nice car and not everyone and their mother has one. My buddy is picking one up come February to replace his Pathfinder (gas issues as well). I would definitely give both cars a hard look........the Mazdaspeed 6 is going to be a great a car as well.

Neither are light weights, so both should be rather equivalent in performance aspects.
Old 05-30-2005, 10:43 AM
GEEZER

Very nice car and not everyone and their mother has one. My buddy is picking one up come February to replace his Pathfinder (gas issues as well). I would definitely give both cars a hard look........the Mazdaspeed 6 is going to be a great a car as well.

Neither are light weights, so both should be rather equivalent in performance aspects.
It's down to these 2 cars. Thanks.
Old 05-30-2005, 10:47 AM
Suzuka Master

You know my take on the rwd situation when it comes to snow, but the fact still remains an STi with snows will eat a GTO with snows all day long (the GTO is still a 400hp rwd vehicle). Next, the stock STi tires like you said are hard core performance tires.....they are indeed useless in the snow.

Styling wise, rally cars were never about looking gorgeous.....they are functional pieces of equipment. The same applies with the rally inspired Evo and STi.

Then again, the GTO isn't exactly the prom queen either.

Like I said before, the GTO is cool....but for those of us that don't keep cars for 4 years +. The GTO will be nothing less than a sinking ship.

I'm actually not biased, just call them as I see them. I have an STi, but that isn't swaying my opinion (for starters I'm selling the car).
I agree with all on all the points above. My only point was that of course a STi is better than a GTO in snow if equipped with the proper tires are equipped, but both stock for stock, both cars will require expensive new tires to be useful in snow.

I also agree about the resale. I'm thinking of leasing the GTO as I always lease cars now due to getting burnt on my CLS resale. If I did buy the GTO, it would be to make it my project car and not a true daily driver.
Old 05-30-2005, 10:50 AM
Suzuka Master

My parents are looking at the Legacy 2.5GT so I went with them to test drive it recently. I was very impressed - great performance, nice styling and a very nice interior. I also sat in the Mazdaspeed 6 at the car show - it's nice as well, but I think the Legacy GT is a step above.

In addition, I'm not sure I would trust the engine in the Mazdaspeed 6 yet - First year models usually have toothing problems and since Mazda is so closely related to Ford, I have a feeling you will see issues with a first year high boost 4-cylinder turbo engine.
Old 05-30-2005, 01:22 PM
2Poor 2Furious

I'd personally go with a GTO just to say I own a goat but....

This is an unfair comparison. The GTO and the STI are two different cars, and even though they're both billed as performance cars, they're appealing to two different buyers. Someone who's in the market for American muscle would only consider the GTO, Mustang, Vette, and maybe some of the V's offered by Caddy, and the buyer would laugh at anything with less than a V6 under the hood. Someone in the market for a STI would probably only consider the Evo, Z, S2K, RX8, and maybe the G. Honestly, if you were in the market for either car, would you consider the other?
Old 05-30-2005, 02:15 PM
go like hell

I'd take the Sti
Old 05-30-2005, 02:39 PM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A real jeep, like a wrangler?
Old 05-30-2005, 03:35 PM
Beware of leakage

Its just time for it to go, wil probably stay with the M3 for the time being (has very little mileage on it).

Honestly, this is the same situation that happened when I had the Viper/CL-S.

I'm paying all this $ for a 2nd car that get's very little use.

If I had nothing better to do with the $, obviously I wouldn't care.

Keep that M3 for about 2 more years and you have a buyer That thing is damn sexy, especially with that red interior and 6 MT
Old 05-30-2005, 03:53 PM
Beware of leakage

Originally Posted by t0ast
I'd personally go with a GTO just to say I own a goat but....

This is an unfair comparison. The GTO and the STI are two different cars, and even though they're both billed as performance cars, they're appealing to two different buyers. Someone who's in the market for American muscle would only consider the GTO, Mustang, Vette, and maybe some of the V's offered by Caddy, and the buyer would laugh at anything with less than a V6 under the hood. Someone in the market for a STI would probably only consider the Evo, Z, S2K, RX8, and maybe the G. Honestly, if you were in the market for either car, would you consider the other?
True, but anyone who is an overall enthusiast would know the bendfits and performance of BOTH cars.
I understand your seperation of the American Muscle car guy to the Import car guy, but there are a good bit of us who will take choices from both catagories and narrow it down from there.
Old 05-30-2005, 05:08 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

no i do understand. lolz.....but the logic doesn't make any sense. Either car will need snow tires if you live in an area that needs it. In my case i drive 18k/year. I can't have a situation where i can't get around. With either car you'll need snow tires. In that instance, the STi is better. dry performance is better, wet performance is better and snow performance is better. As much as I love the power potential in the v8....turbo awd w/ LSDs w/ 4 doors is something that puts the STi ahead of the v8.

Originally Posted by cusdaddy
You as always completely fail to understand the point. Of course AWD is > than RWD in the snow.

Since I'll have to spell it out for you again, the point I'm making is that the STi and GTO BOTH require expensive snow tires in order to be effective in the snow. Yes, a STi with snow tires will of course perform better than a GTO with snow tires, but we don't live in Antartica, so 99% of most snow storms, either car with appropriate tires will get you around fine.

I bring up my Z because it shows how a high powered car with snow tires can get around fine. Much better than the CL with the stock Pilots. A combination of traction control and a light right foot that gets around the torque.
Old 05-30-2005, 09:58 PM
2Poor 2Furious

Originally Posted by Chopper
True, but anyone who is an overall enthusiast would know the bendfits and performance of BOTH cars.
I understand your seperation of the American Muscle car guy to the Import car guy, but there are a good bit of us who will take choices from both catagories and narrow it down from there.
I agree. I see the merits of both cars and both categories, but they seem very very different with the way they're designed and the way they perform. I wouldn't mind having both in my garage.
Old 05-30-2005, 10:30 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by joedokes28
A real jeep, like a wrangler?
No, I hate Wranglers.........a GC 5.7L.

My oldman is getting an 06 to haul crap around, I'll just borrow it when needed. He now spends most of the winter in FL, so I'll have access to it for the shit weather.

I'm actually interested in the Evo 9 MR, that's going to be a hot car. Although it would be stupid for me to get one while I still have the M3.
Old 05-30-2005, 10:35 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Chopper
Keep that M3 for about 2 more years and you have a buyer That thing is damn sexy, especially with that red interior and 6 MT
The car goes back in 15-16 months, I'll give you the dealer info then if you're still interested.

Silver Gray with the Imola red interior is very nice, YuppieCL (I mean YuppieM3) agrees to the point he got the same color combo (as I'm sure everyone knows already).
Old 05-31-2005, 01:27 AM
Drives With Hands

There's no replacement for displacement.
Old 05-31-2005, 05:23 AM
GEEZER

Originally Posted by rmpage
Except 30 gallons of fuel. See ya at the pump.
Old 05-31-2005, 08:31 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally Posted by rmpage

uhm ya....tis called turbo AWD
Old 05-31-2005, 12:45 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,313 Likes on 966 Posts
EPA Fuel Economy City/Hwy, mpg 17/25 18/24
Looks pretty exact. Turbo eats gas too.

For me I'd take the GTO. No snow so that's a wash. I drive 100 miles a day to/from work so I'd prefer a smoother more comfortable ride. The big reason knock for me is number of doors. I'd obviously pick something else other than these two, but my given my situation if these were the only 2 cars on Earth, I'd prefer the Goat.
Old 05-31-2005, 02:59 PM
Tristate ViP Crew

Dont like the way the GTO looks but its a drifting beast which surprised the hell out of me. I would still like the STi 10X better because it looks more aggressive , better gas and I'm sure better resale. Remember for 30K+ you want a better investment , the GTO is still a Pontiac. I'd pay 30K for an old Goat rather than a new one.
Old 05-31-2005, 03:06 PM
Drives With Hands

Yeah, but that's 30 gallons of the cheap stuff. No 94 octane necessary for stump-pulling V8 power unless you FI the bitch past 600 whp or something.

Edit: I should probably check if the GTO needs premium or not before saying this but I mean it in a general sense.
Old 05-31-2005, 03:31 PM
Team Owner

The Mustang runs on cheap, not sure about LS series. And once again the gas is a wash. One has an advantage on city and the other on hwy.
Old 05-31-2005, 04:55 PM
GEEZER

Actually..this is kind of apples compared to oranges.
Old 05-31-2005, 06:12 PM
Beware of leakage

In all honesty it's not going to be that much worse than the CLS IMO.
Got my GTO brochure in mail today. Here's the stats.

18 Gallon tank. (CL is 17 but really will only let you go to ~ 15.8 as I found out)

MPG
Auto: 16/21
Manual: 17/25
Old 05-31-2005, 08:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by TL CHROMETIDE
a 5.7 V-8 engine vs. a 2.5 I-4...........no duh imagine the gas prices on a GTO
the gto driven normally on the hwy will get 30mpg. my neighbor has one and he gets that all the time

oh and ill take the gto hands down. nothing like rwd fun

Last edited by fsttyms1; 05-31-2005 at 08:28 PM.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:13 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd get a 400 hp 400tq ls2 gto over the STI, and i would also take a 350 hp 5.7 LS1 over the STI. Why? Well the LS2 GTO is a beast, handles well enough, and will take to mods like no other, i think small block chevy's take to mods the way turbo 4's do. Also I can find a leftover LS1 GTO for under 26 grand. That is a steal for an LS1 powered car. These 2 cars are very different though. The LS2 based GTO will destroy an STI stock for stock. Each car offers great performance for the $$, but goes about making it differently. On one end you have a turbo 4 banger, and on the other end you get a 6.0 litre 8cyl. And forget about gas mileage, my LS1 Trans Am gets about 25 mpg when driven normal and about 19 when beaten on.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:23 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally Posted by bigman
The LS2 based GTO will destroy an STI stock for stock. Each car offers great performance for the $$, but goes about making it differently. On one end you have a turbo 4 banger, and on the other end you get a 6.0 litre 8cyl. And forget about gas mileage, my LS1 Trans Am gets about 25 mpg when driven normal and about 19 when beaten on.

what? destoryed???? What 1/4 is the stock ls2 running? From my reading...it's about the same as the stock STi.

I doubt 19mpg is realistic when beating on a v8....seriously now....
Old 06-01-2005, 11:45 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,667 Likes on 931 Posts

Dont agree with Zap too often but

Beating on the LS1 = 14mpg at best. Beating on my Maxima's VQ35DE = 14mpg at best.

Back on topic, I would get neither for $33k...especially when I can get a lite mileage/demo Infiniti G35C for that money. What it lack in performance (compared to the GTO/STi) it makes up for in EVERY other area.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:50 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
what? destoryed???? What 1/4 is the stock ls2 running? From my reading...it's about the same as the stock STi.

i drove about 300 miles last weekend on about 80% of a gas tank in my trnas am, and thats averaging about 75 mph with some playing around and 100+ mph running invovlved. Go over to the LS1 forums and you will see guys getting great mileage.

And on the LS2 forums, there are stock LS2 GTO's running 12.8's.
And i have seen STI's running low mid 13's.
Also the MPH is always higher on ther GTO by the end of the 1/4. That means that stock for stock, if you are running on the street, the sti's traction will probably get a gto from a dig, maybe not because the GTO pulls similar 0-60 times, but up high the GTO will pull. And drop heads, cam, headers, exhaust, tune, stroker kit, and with about 5000 grand, you can have a 9 second car that will also be a highway terror and still be reliable. My friend has a stroked 383 with almost 200,000 miles and it runs insane, he pulls low 10's all day, all motor. and uses the car as a daily driver.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:45 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by F23A4
Dont agree with Zap too often but

Beating on the LS1 = 14mpg at best. Beating on my Maxima's VQ35DE = 14mpg at best.

Are you saying that the LS1 won't get 14mpg because it's bigger than the VQ that won't get 14mpg?
Old 06-01-2005, 01:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,667 Likes on 931 Posts
Originally Posted by Doom878
Are you saying that the LS1 won't get 14mpg because it's bigger than the VQ that won't get 14mpg?
Keywords: Beating on.

Both should easily get >14mpg under normal driving conditions.
Old 06-01-2005, 01:34 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally Posted by bigman
i drove about 300 miles last weekend on about 80% of a gas tank in my trnas am, and thats averaging about 75 mph with some playing around and 100+ mph running invovlved. Go over to the LS1 forums and you will see guys getting great mileage.

And on the LS2 forums, there are stock LS2 GTO's running 12.8's.
And i have seen STI's running low mid 13's.
Also the MPH is always higher on ther GTO by the end of the 1/4. That means that stock for stock, if you are running on the street, the sti's traction will probably get a gto from a dig, maybe not because the GTO pulls similar 0-60 times, but up high the GTO will pull. And drop heads, cam, headers, exhaust, tune, stroker kit, and with about 5000 grand, you can have a 9 second car that will also be a highway terror and still be reliable. My friend has a stroked 383 with almost 200,000 miles and it runs insane, he pulls low 10's all day, all motor. and uses the car as a daily driver.

playing around =! beating on

12.8 is slighty different than the 13.3-13.5 times i've been seeing. STi running in the same range. Let's not talk about mods....i think the question was straight up.
Old 06-01-2005, 01:36 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by F23A4
Keywords: Beating on.

Both should easily get >14mpg under normal driving conditions.
Right but are you implying that if both cars are beaten on the VQ will get better gas than the LS1? What reasons do you have for this? Just curious if it's true or not.

Quick Reply: Which is King of 33k? GTO vs STI