Joined the 12 second club today!!!! NOS helped too! Track times!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2001, 10:23 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Joined the 12 second club today!!!! NOS helped too! Track times!

Well, it happened and man it was great!

Went to the track today (Sunday) and joined the 12 second club. Here is how we did it.

Saturday (temp. 63 degrees):

1st Run:
15.236 @ 96.33MPH (60' 2.636)

2nd Run:
14.573 @ 98.52MPH (60' 2.313)

3rd Run:
14.430 @ 97.77MPH (60' 2.265)

4th Run:
14.832 @ 96.90MPH (60' 2.459)

Well I was kind of disappointed with my times on Saturday so I was talking to this guy Scott and my friend Paul who both have custom NOS setups on both their Vipers and was wondering about that. Paul said that Scott (who makes custom NOS systems for cars) could probably 'try' one out on my car. I said "Lets do it (since I have a warranty now)"

Well, we used my car as a test subject and this morning at 6:30am we all got to Scott's garage w/ his Mechanic. They changed the spark plugs on my car first. Well, a few hours later, they finally completed this 'ghetto' install of the NOS system in my car because it wasn't going to be permanent. I took two of my old rims and we got some used cheater slicks on the rear of the car that Scott had laying around for 17" rims. Put the stock wheels/tires on the front and we were ready. Well, they adjusted a few things here and there and Paul tested it going up to WI. I sat with him and all I got to say is "DAMN!!! That was fast as hell!!!!". They put a 10lb bottle in the back so we reserved it for the track. We did a couple runs and here is the best slip from today:

Sunday (temp. 54 degrees):

R/T: 2.488
60': 1.909
330: 5.488
1/8: 8.395
MPH: 87.17
1000: 10.758
1/4: 12.713
MPH: 116.12

After I saw this slip, I was completely amazed by the time! I can't believe this was my car! After we got our kicks in, we chatted with a few people around there (they had autocrosses going on with WRXs, S4s, 330xis in the open field, kicking up dirt and mud..looked like crazy fun!). Well, we went back to Scotts place and he took a look at my spark plugs again (don't know why, but he said everything looked fine). They took another hour or so to take everything off again. Told me that he thinks my car can really handle the power very well and that he would like to test it again in the Spring when the weather gets back to racing time again. This is got to be the BEST experience I've had in this car or actually ANY of my cars! Damn, now I gotta get this system!!!!!!!!!

BTW, my friend Paul ran a 11.6xx @ 132MPH in his Viper w/ a 75 shot of NOS and Scott ran a 11.4xx @ 128MPH in his Viper w/ a 130 shot of NOS (still trying to figure out why Paul's MPH is much higher than Scotts).

Lesson learned: NOS rules!!!!
Old 11-18-2001, 10:25 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What shot did you run to get 12s?
Old 11-18-2001, 10:37 PM
Race Director

those are high MPH's anyhow for those times but that is prob due to the NOS coming in late. My dad runs a 69 camaro no NOS, at 10.2 @ 135, but that's cause those things are beast to like 80 I guess,
Old 11-18-2001, 10:39 PM
Banned

Originally posted by bioyuki
What shot did you run to get 12s?
I asked and Scott and his mechanic just grinned and said "A big one!" But they told me to not worry since they know the engine and other involved parts could handle it. Scott knows the owner of Midwest Motorsports (they do BMW tuning and service) and called him and he told him that it was ok to do a big shot. My guess is 150 or 175 when we got to the track....

BTW, I got stuck with the smallest bottle (10lbs vs. their 25lbs) since we were just testing.

I hope this doesn't mess up my car.
Old 11-18-2001, 10:43 PM
It's Go-Time.

Was the NOS a progressive or WOT set up? Excellent time, BTW!
Old 11-18-2001, 11:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
wow, that's great! did you drive the car to get that time? btw, he checked your plugs to make sure they weren't fouled.
Old 11-19-2001, 12:08 AM
Old timer

Awesome!!!!
Old 11-19-2001, 12:08 AM
w.t.f., mate?

damn!!!!!!!! nice times!!!!!

update your sig

thats fockin fast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Old 11-19-2001, 07:49 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Re: Joined the 12 second club today!!!! NOS helped too! Track times!

Originally posted by M5 Lite
Well, it happened and man it was great!
Went to the track today (Sunday) and joined the 12 second club. Here is how we did it.
Saturday (temp. 63 degrees):
1st Run:
15.236 @ 96.33MPH (60' 2.636)
2nd Run:
14.573 @ 98.52MPH (60' 2.313)
3rd Run:
14.430 @ 97.77MPH (60' 2.265)
4th Run:
14.832 @ 96.90MPH (60' 2.459)

I don't want to seem rude and insensitive. uhhhhh, those are CLS times man. What happened with the big bad M5lite? Wow, i'm pretty disappointed. Also, you might want to change the 1/4 time in you sig to 14.430 and not 14.0.
Old 11-19-2001, 08:42 AM
Banned

Re: Re: Joined the 12 second club today!!!! NOS helped too! Track times!

Originally posted by Zapata

I don't want to seem rude and insensitive. uhhhhh, those are CLS times man. What happened with the big bad M5lite? Wow, i'm pretty disappointed. Also, you might want to change the 1/4 time in you sig to 14.430 and not 14.0.
Those times are with my 'winter' tires on. I don't have the Hi Performance tires on right now. I'm going to try to go to the track again this Sat. w/ just cheater slicks, no NOS.

Also, if you know anything about looking at times on a slip, you should know that the 15.2 w/ a 60' time of 2.6xx seconds means that I spun too much off the line. But I wouldn't expect you to know that. Thanks for the first rip. You'll see my low 14s and possibly high 13s in the spring time with 'real' hi perf. tires.
Old 11-19-2001, 10:20 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Re: Re: Re: Joined the 12 second club today!!!! NOS helped too! Track times!

Those times are with my 'winter' tires on. I don't have the Hi Performance tires on right now. I'm going to try to go to the track again this Sat. w/ just cheater slicks, no NOS.

Also, if you know anything about looking at times on a slip, you should know that the 15.2 w/ a 60' time of 2.6xx seconds means that I spun too much off the line. But I wouldn't expect you to know that. Thanks for the first rip. You'll see my low 14s and possibly high 13s in the spring time with 'real' hi perf. tires.

arrogant as usual. :pfawk: your speeds are much faster than the CLS speeds. Prolly like 5 mph faster, so I know that your speed didn't jive with your times. The only explaination could be that you spun your tires a bit much. Take a look at your last reaction time and your '60 time :P with the NOS setup. No way to explain that except lots of tire spin.

What doesn't make any sense to me is why you wouldn't post that you had your winter tires on when you made your runs?
Old 11-19-2001, 10:30 AM
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Re: Joined the 12 second club today!!!! NOS helped too! Track times!

arrogant as usual. :pfawk: your speeds are much faster than the CLS speeds. Prolly like 5 mph faster, so I know that your speed didn't jive with your times. The only explaination could be that you spun your tires a bit much. Take a look at your last reaction time and your '60 time :P with the NOS setup. No way to explain that except lots of tire spin.

What doesn't make any sense to me is why you wouldn't post that you had your winter tires on when you made your runs?
The tires I have now are Hi perf. tires with snow traction. They are the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. They grip well, but still don't have the stickyness that I would want at the track.

As for the reaction time, I could care less. I could sit at the light for 10 seconds and still won't have an effect on my times. Until I break the beam, the timer doesn't start. R/T is something you shouldn't even look at since I was 'adjusting' my RPMs to right where I wanted them (1000 RPM) for the launch.
Old 11-19-2001, 10:55 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Just represent the facts correctly. Take a look at the subject of your post. NOS helped too.....NOS is the only reason you joined the 12 sec club was NOS. It's not like your were teetering on the verge of running in the 12's and all of a sudden you break the barrier. You were nearly 1.5 seconds off. You should qualify the time with NOS added as a qualifier because you know that your car isn't going to do that on its own. Winter tires, or winter tires with high performance qualities or whatever.........some consistancy.
Old 11-19-2001, 11:37 AM
Banned

Just represent the facts correctly. Take a look at the subject of your post. NOS helped too.....NOS is the only reason you joined the 12 sec club was NOS. It's not like your were teetering on the verge of running in the 12's and all of a sudden you break the barrier. You were nearly 1.5 seconds off. You should qualify the time with NOS added as a qualifier because you know that your car isn't going to do that on its own. Winter tires, or winter tires with high performance qualities or whatever.........some consistancy.
So, now you consider NOS cheating the times? Its HP & Torque. No matter how you make it, if you can run a good time, the car did it on its own.

I would consider NOS just like any other modification, be it a turbo or supercharger. Your treating it like it was an 'act of God' where my car got propelled thru the 1/4 mile.
Old 11-19-2001, 11:46 AM

isn't this acura-cl.com?

Old 11-19-2001, 11:47 AM
Banned

Originally posted by TypeSKid
isn't this acura-cl.com?

Yeah :sqntfawk:
Old 11-19-2001, 11:50 AM
Senior Moderator

can we stay on topic and quit nitpicking please? the guy got his car into the 12s. congrats and 'nuf said.

M5lite, if i were you i'd call a couple of bmw perf shops. 100+ shot of N20 can be deadly to a car w/stock internals. you might want to harden your engine and/or tranny.
Old 11-19-2001, 12:10 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Mike
can we stay on topic and quit nitpicking please? the guy got his car into the 12s. congrats and 'nuf said.

M5lite, if i were you i'd call a couple of bmw perf shops. 100+ shot of N20 can be deadly to a car w/stock internals. you might want to harden your engine and/or tranny.
From what I've head Mike, the engine is VERY capable of taking this amount of power, so is the tranny. This was also confirmed by the owner of Midwest Motorsports. I just wish they told me how much of a shot they gave it.

Oh well, it was all in good clean fun so no spoils.
Old 11-19-2001, 12:30 PM
Senior Moderator

that's good news. if you go w/a permanent setup and you going to have some brake work done?
Old 11-19-2001, 12:35 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Mike
that's good news. if you go w/a permanent setup and you going to have some brake work done?
Oh yes! My current brakes are kinda mushy, I think I might need those steel brake lines for the current setup. With the NOS, I'll for sure need the new setup for brakes because I had to take the second turn off after my run because I went at it too hard and didn't manage to slow down fast enough. I didn't expect to be that fast.
Old 11-19-2001, 12:49 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

So, now you consider NOS cheating the times? Its HP & Torque. No matter how you make it, if you can run a good time, the car did it on its own.

I would consider NOS just like any other modification, be it a turbo or supercharger. Your treating it like it was an 'act of God' where my car got propelled thru the 1/4 mile.
I think that any kind of forced induction and/or NOS setup is "cheating"; Not that cars with those things don't deserve respect. You are artificially increasing the performance of the engine. A turbo, SC or NOS are steriods. Intakes, headers and exhaust don't qaulify because IMO those are just design flaws that the performance market has corrected. But everything I just said is irrelevant to what we are discussing.

My point is that you should correctly label your times. Almost everybody else on this board does and I would expect that you would do the same.
Old 11-19-2001, 02:05 PM
Banned

I can see it taking 100 shot...that is a 4.0L v8 afterall...but 150??? That's some blown pistons there...especially since the stock compression is pretty high right!?!
Old 11-19-2001, 02:31 PM
Banned

Originally posted by moomaster_99
I can see it taking 100 shot...that is a 4.0L v8 afterall...but 150??? That's some blown pistons there...especially since the stock compression is pretty high right!?!
I don't think the stock compression is too high. Its a 4.4L v8 by the way

I'm going to try to dyno the car this Friday. Going to try to get the system put back on and dyno it too.
Old 11-19-2001, 06:12 PM
Suzuka Master

I think that any kind of forced induction and/or NOS setup is "cheating"; Not that cars with those things don't deserve respect. You are artificially increasing the performance of the engine. A turbo, SC or NOS are steriods. Intakes, headers and exhaust don't qaulify because IMO those are just design flaws that the performance market has corrected. But everything I just said is irrelevant to what we are discussing.

My point is that you should correctly label your times. Almost everybody else on this board does and I would expect that you would do the same.
Hmm... you were the kid with the slow car at school, weren't you? :P
Old 11-19-2001, 10:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

To have gained ~20mph through the traps means a BIG shot. As the others have said, be careful with the giggle gas.

Congrats on the times, btw!
Old 11-19-2001, 11:06 PM
Learn to swim.

I appreciate a finley tuned forced induction set up, not only do they equate to masive power gains -You can use it all day long, on every corner and every light, up down and sideways. Unlike NOS where you only have seconds per tank, and have to press a button at a specific time, and in certain gears.

It takes a lot of skill and know how to set up a turbo or a blower, and it's a fun project. Properly done, a super-charger will deliver a smooth and linear boost in power without extranious damage to the engine.

A monkey could set up a NOS kit, and the type of power it delivers is abrupt, jolting, and unpredictable. Not only that, but when you crash, you've got a whole new world to think about. NOS likes to go boom. NOS has it's place in auto racing: straight line track runs.

My opinion? Nitrous Oxide is for Dentists and crackheads, and those punks in High School who didn't know enough about cars or appreciate mechanics enough to learn how to work on their cars, but only saw a quick and inexpensive way to be "faster".

But then again I'm prejudice.

BTW BMW dude: I gurantee that little run you did down the track damaged your engine *and* your tranny. You don't propel a vehicle that size anywhere that quickly in stock form without damage of some sort, it just don't happen. You probably just knocked a few thousand miles off one component or another, maybe bent a few things sllighty here and there. Build your engine up, and ditch the slush box.

I bet it was fun as hell though.
Old 11-20-2001, 07:18 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by KCPreki11

Hmm... you were the kid with the slow car at school, weren't you? :P
I was never interested in cars in high school and I didn't have rich mommy and daddy to buy me cars. Moreover, I was more worried about my education than I was worried about cars and chicks. I'm glad you had your priorities straight.
Old 11-20-2001, 07:24 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by aeon

I appreciate a finley tuned forced induction set up, not only do they equate to masive power gains -You can use it all day long, on every corner and every light, up down and sideways. Unlike NOS where you only have seconds per tank, and have to press a button at a specific time, and in certain gears.
It takes a lot of skill and know how to set up a turbo or a blower, and it's a fun project. Properly done, a super-charger will deliver a smooth and linear boost in power without extranious damage to the engine.
A monkey could set up a NOS kit, and the type of power it delivers is abrupt, jolting, and unpredictable. Not only that, but when you crash, you've got a whole new world to think about. NOS likes to go boom. NOS has it's place in auto racing: straight line track runs.
My opinion? Nitrous Oxide is for Dentists and crackheads, and those punks in High School who didn't know enough about cars or appreciate mechanics enough to learn how to work on their cars, but only saw a quick and inexpensive way to be "faster".

But then again I'm prejudice.

I don't disagree with you on the respect for a finely tuned forced induction engine. I love the old formula cars that were running on 1.4L 4 cyl engines that pumped out like 600HP plus. I'm not even saying that I wouldn't buy a car with a turbo or a SC. But I am willing to admit that the same engine wouldn't be able to do the same things N/A as it would if there were some type of forced induction. Same respect goes to NOS setups. Engineering is engineering no matter how once decides to slice it. But if you run a 9 second 1/4 mile in your civic. I would expect the person to say that I've reworked the engine and have turbo and NOS setup. Just be truthful about what you have and don't mislead people.
Old 11-20-2001, 07:34 AM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

Old 11-20-2001, 07:43 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Old 11-20-2001, 07:51 AM
Fuct in the hed!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
NOS = BREAKAGE
Old 11-20-2001, 08:09 AM
Senior Moderator

There are plenty of ppl using n20 safely and w/o problems. if used incorrectly, you will have problems.

what experience do you have w/n20?
Old 11-20-2001, 09:33 AM
Banned

I don't disagree with you on the respect for a finely tuned forced induction engine. I love the old formula cars that were running on 1.4L 4 cyl engines that pumped out like 600HP plus. I'm not even saying that I wouldn't buy a car with a turbo or a SC. But I am willing to admit that the same engine wouldn't be able to do the same things N/A as it would if there were some type of forced induction. Same respect goes to NOS setups. Engineering is engineering no matter how once decides to slice it. But if you run a 9 second 1/4 mile in your civic. I would expect the person to say that I've reworked the engine and have turbo and NOS setup. Just be truthful about what you have and don't mislead people.
Are you claiming that I mislead you? I told you in the original post that I ran NOS, then also I ran it with cheater slicks.
Old 11-20-2001, 10:10 AM
Racer

Dont sweat em m5... they are mad because they dont have the balls to put nos on their rides, therefore they secretly hope that you blow your engine and tranny.

I would agree that the shot that you used was probably a little excessive, but you got away with it and a great run. So, congrats on your run and be sure to use the happy gas in moderation....
Old 11-20-2001, 10:26 AM
Banned

Originally posted by hatemystocks
Dont sweat em m5... they are mad because they dont have the balls to put nos on their rides, therefore they secretly hope that you blow your engine and tranny.

I would agree that the shot that you used was probably a little excessive, but you got away with it and a great run. So, congrats on your run and be sure to use the happy gas in moderation....
The engine would be the only thing I would worry about. But I'm sure the engine is pretty bulletproof.

I just verified that the M5 and the 540i 6-speed have everything the same in their transmission, except for the clutch. So if the tranny can handle the power of the M5, it can handle a little NOS on a 540i
Old 11-20-2001, 10:32 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Are you claiming that I mislead you? I told you in the original post that I ran NOS, then also I ran it with cheater slicks.
Well, my beef is with time you posted in your signature and with the way you posted your 12 second run. The subject of your post was you hit the 12 second club and then after that you write NOS helped. My point is and has always been that by phrasing your post "NOS helped" isn't really 100% accurate. You should've said "NOS helped me join the 12 second club". Your car wasn't near running 12 's before the NOS setup. You said you were on winter tires and then you said you were on all season winter tires. Now you say you ran with cheater slicks and before you said that, "I'm going to try to go to the track again this Sat. w/ just cheater slicks". You never said anything about having cheater slicks on when you made your four runs. In fact you said that you had you winter tires and you spun like crazy. There wasn't an consistancy to your posts. I'm parsing words and the way you phrase posts....it's anally rentitive, i know. I guess it's a glass half full/ half empty thing. Whatever......
Old 11-20-2001, 10:47 AM
Banned

Well, my beef is with time you posted in your signature and with the way you posted your 12 second run. The subject of your post was you hit the 12 second club and then after that you write NOS helped. My point is and has always been that by phrasing your post "NOS helped" isn't really 100% accurate. You should've said "NOS helped me join the 12 second club". Your car wasn't near running 12 's before the NOS setup. You said you were on winter tires and then you said you were on all season winter tires. Now you say you ran with cheater slicks and before you said that, "I'm going to try to go to the track again this Sat. w/ just cheater slicks". You never said anything about having cheater slicks on when you made your four runs. In fact you said that you had you winter tires and you spun like crazy. There wasn't an consistancy to your posts. I'm parsing words and the way you phrase posts....it's anally rentitive, i know. I guess it's a glass half full/ half empty thing. Whatever......
Please re-read my 1st post on this thread very slowly. It claims that we put on the cheater slicks the morning of the NOS install. Also, in my signature, it says that I have Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. These are High Perf. tires w/ snow traction. I thought you'd be able to figure this one out buddy.
Old 11-20-2001, 10:47 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
M5, don't sweat it, you know you always get resistance on here!

Great run, and props for having the balls to strap a huge NOS shot into your car!! Should be interesting in the spring when the setup is more planned!! Good luck!!
Old 11-20-2001, 10:55 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

juniorbean and hatemystocks:

I'm not putting down his times or how he got them. Just be honest. It would be like me saying that I beat a guy in moded supra and then saying he was carrying gold bricks in the trunk. Mad because I don't have the balls? Don't think so.
Old 11-20-2001, 10:59 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Please re-read my 1st post on this thread very slowly. It claims that we put on the cheater slicks the morning of the NOS install. Also, in my signature, it says that I have Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. These are High Perf. tires w/ snow traction. I thought you'd be able to figure this one out buddy.
ah yes, i stand corrected you did say that you put the slicks on the morning of the run. I don't want to get into a thing about the tires. This discussion is getting lame or may be it was lame to begin with Oh well, just say you got the the 12.7 w/NOS and I'll call the dogs off

Quick Reply: Joined the 12 second club today!!!! NOS helped too! Track times!