JS + TL: Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 02:48 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a perfect car for you.

HYUNDAI GENESIS COUPE V-6.

Its relatively cheap, and one of the fastest in its class. its so much faster than your Acura TL and more capable at handling. Also, its very reliable with good quality because its a Hyundai.

Its sports car, that has good aggresive looks, 4 seats, and perfect balance of sportiness and everyday commute.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazy Acura
I dont bother giving financial advice on a car forum because 90% of the time, no one listens.
I hate to laugh... but it's true. I can't tell you how many times I put advice in a thread like this only to see a new thread a few weeks later with pics of the new car

Oh well... to each their own.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:45 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by JS + TL
Hyung! You are supposed to be on my side! haha

Anyway, parents live pretty close to my work anyway. Everything will be fine if I don't date any white ladies which I won't do anyway. but yeah, I'll just keep my TL and save money as much as I can.
I AM on your side.

I know exactly what you are going through because I was at that stage not too long ago. But that itch is just temporary and will go away. Meanwhile, given the advantageous financial situation you are in (being able to save up by living with your parents), I really think your savings today will ensure a better future tomorrow for you and your family. The money can be better spent/invested. Then you can buy an awesome car down the road in the future... and let me break it in for you.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:19 PM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keep the TL - dont be stupid.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:05 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Originally Posted by Anhedonia
im jealous!
i dont agree with the GTI.. i actually dont like them at all, terrible reliability and just kind of disapointing in the long run when you end up putting 24k in it over the course of the next 6 years.

If your looking for something like it though... the mazdaspeed 3 is an awesome car. my cousin has one, 282 hp from the factory w/a 6 speed... its a dream to drive with lots of room to go up.
Ignorance is bliss

The MkIV was a reliability mess.
VW & Audi have turned things around in the past few years.
The MkV however is greatly improved.....reliable...and the TSI engine is one of the best around. Direct Injection Turbo...what's not to love? Not to mention what you can do to it for about 500 bucks that turns it into a MONSTER!!!! APR flash FTW!

Originally Posted by myron
wow, what are you basing this on? Moog where are you, emergency!!!! hahahaha
Old 08-20-2009, 12:05 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

btw.....in your situation.....keep the TL.
Old 08-20-2009, 04:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
I AM on your side.

I know exactly what you are going through because I was at that stage not too long ago. But that itch is just temporary and will go away. Meanwhile, given the advantageous financial situation you are in (being able to save up by living with your parents), I really think your savings today will ensure a better future tomorrow for you and your family. The money can be better spent/invested. Then you can buy an awesome car down the road in the future... and let me break it in for you.
Wow, if that really is your situation then you would be a fool not take advantage and save all of your money. I had the luxury of living home until I was married and it helped me tremendously. Put all your money away and set yourself up for a great future now. Then you can buy whatever cars you want later.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:09 PM
Backs the Pack

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Keep the TL and save up.

Get married, buy a house.

Then for the first few years when you are a DINK (double income no kids) couple, you can get a fun car

Then after the kids come you can buy an Ody .
Old 08-20-2009, 09:20 PM
The Box

Received 80 Likes on 59 Posts
Keep the TL and save $
Old 08-20-2009, 09:21 PM
The Box

Received 80 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Hodog16
Keep the TL and save up.

Get married, buy a house.

Then for the first few years when you are a DINK (double income no kids) couple, you can get a fun car

Then after the kids come you can buy an Ody .
The Ody is the ultimate family vehicle
Old 08-20-2009, 09:29 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
Keeping your TL > buying a new car > Marriage.

I do not see any benefit for a guy to get married so early...
Old 08-20-2009, 10:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,097 Likes on 831 Posts
Keep the TL. some people aren't fortunate like you. Not to be bad about it. Save your money for now. If you are looking to buy a house,you need minimum 50k to put down for a house to keep the payments reasonable..
Old 08-20-2009, 11:40 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Don't buy a new car even if you get another one. That will at least mitigate some of the frivolity of replacing the TL.

But for the love of god man, getting married and buying a house does not have to be the end game. Why is everyone trying to chain him down?

Depending on where you live, renting is not a bad thing. I wouldn't want to rent if I had kids but up until that time I definitely would.

I bought last summer and now I regret it because I miss downtown DC badly. Renting allows you the flexibility of picking up and moving around if you get bored with an area and need a change of scenery.

Renting is not a bad thing in the right circumstances.

I can understand your desire for a new car. We get bombarded all day with very effective advertising and there's no doubt that comparable cars built in 2009 are better than the TL.

But you're young. Save your money. Go skiing in Europe or go to Carnivale in Rio. Have a few "Hangover" episodes you'll laugh about in your 70s.

If you can afford to do all that and get a newer car, then go for it. But whatever the itch is that the new car might scratch, at some point that car is going to become your TL.

It's a vicious fucking cycle made harder by very clever car companies (*glares at Audi and their S5s*)
Old 08-21-2009, 12:06 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow, what are you basing this on? Moog where are you, emergency!!!! hahahaha

off of JD power's study of problems per 100 cars, and the fact that im an ex Audi owner. that car was hell on fucking earth. turn on the hi beams, the windshield wipers came on. the blower fan for the A/C heat was proportional to the amount at which you were accelerating. turn signals led to blinking high beams, it leaked from every single seal in the bay.. etc etc.

just looked at the one released for 2009, looks like VW/Audi moved up a couple of spots..

2009 NAMEPLATE IQS RANKING
<table class="datatable1" border="0"><tbody><tr><td valign="top">Automaker</td><td valign="top">Problems per 100 Vehicles</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">Industry Average</td><td valign="top">108</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">Lexus</td><td valign="top">84</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">Porsche</td><td valign="top">90</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">Cadillac</td><td valign="top">91</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">Hyundai</td><td valign="top">95</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">Honda</td><td valign="top">99</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">Mercedes-Benz</td><td valign="top">101</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">Toyota</td><td valign="top">101</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">Ford</td><td valign="top">102</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">Chevrolet</td><td valign="top">103</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">Suzuki</td><td valign="top">103</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">Infiniti</td><td valign="top">106</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">Mercury</td><td valign="top">106</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">Nissan</td><td valign="top">110</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">Acura</td><td valign="top">111</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">BMW</td><td valign="top">112</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">Kia</td><td valign="top">112</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">Volkswagen</td><td valign="top">112</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">GMC</td><td valign="top">116</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">Buick</td><td valign="top">117</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">Audi</td><td valign="top">118</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">Pontiac</td><td valign="top">118</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">Scion</td><td valign="top">118</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">Volvo</td><td valign="top">118</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">Saturn</td><td valign="top">120</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">Mazda</td><td valign="top">123</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">Lincoln</td><td valign="top">129</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">Subaru</td><td valign="top">130</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">Dodge</td><td valign="top">134</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">Jaguar</td><td valign="top">134</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">Mitsubishi</td><td valign="top">135</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">Chrysler</td><td valign="top">136</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">Hummer</td><td valign="top">136</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">Jeep</td><td valign="top">137</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">Saab</td><td valign="top">138</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">smart</td><td valign="top">138</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">Land Rover</td><td valign="top">150</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">MINI</td><td valign="top">165</td></tr></tbody></table>
Old 08-21-2009, 09:38 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
ex Audi owner. that car was hell on fucking earth. turn on the hi beams, the windshield wipers came on. the blower fan for the A/C heat was proportional to the amount at which you were accelerating. turn signals led to blinking high beams, it leaked from every single seal in the bay.. etc etc.
you are 19 so I am guessing you had a b5 1.8T auto and yea those did have problems as well as b6 had the same problems. But now it's not like that any more. New GTI is a HUGE improvement
Old 08-21-2009, 10:09 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by oonowindoo
Keeping your TL > buying a new car > Marriage.

I do not see any benefit for a guy to get married so early...

being young enough to be able to connect with the kids as they grow. i know i want to have kids young so that when they get to be my age i can still keep up with them.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:10 AM
Drifting

you are 19 so I am guessing you had a b5 1.8T auto and yea those did have problems as well as b6 had the same problems. But now it's not like that any more. New GTI is a HUGE improvement

no.. i had a 2.8 q.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:12 AM
Dragging knees in

Originally Posted by juniorbean
Wow, if that really is your situation then you would be a fool not take advantage and save all of your money. I had the luxury of living home until I was married and it helped me tremendously. Put all your money away and set yourself up for a great future now. Then you can buy whatever cars you want later.
Are you talking to me??

I graduated, stayed with the folks during the brief job search process, moved out and bought a house soon afterwards. I did have the itch to buy an S2000 in addition to my TL as a toy car, but that itch went away soon when I realized I should invest the money elsewhere.

If I could live with my parents while maintaining my current job, my financial accounts would be in awesome shape. But then again, as strict and stubborn as my father is, I think it's worth to forego the savings for the freedom I enjoy now. To each his own!
Old 08-21-2009, 11:14 AM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
Are you talking to me??

I graduated, stayed with the folks during the brief job search process, moved out and bought a house soon afterwards. I did have the itch to buy an S2000 in addition to my TL as a toy car, but that itch went away soon when I realized I should invest the money elsewhere.

If I could live with my parents while maintaining my current job, my financial accounts would be in awesome shape. But then again, as strict and stubborn as my father is, I think it's worth to forego the savings for the freedom I enjoy now. To each his own!
Hyung, I think he was talking to me.

Good thing my parents aren't too stubborn and strict!
Old 08-21-2009, 11:20 AM
I drive a Subata.

off of JD power's study of problems per 100 cars, and the fact that im an ex Audi owner. that car was hell on fucking earth. turn on the hi beams, the windshield wipers came on. the blower fan for the A/C heat was proportional to the amount at which you were accelerating. turn signals led to blinking high beams, it leaked from every single seal in the bay.. etc etc.

just looked at the one released for 2009, looks like VW/Audi moved up a couple of spots..
being young enough to be able to connect with the kids as they grow. i know i want to have kids young so that when they get to be my age i can still keep up with them.
no.. i had a 2.8 q.
I'm going to ask you very nicely.

Please stop this conversation in this thread.

You can make your own thread to talk about how bad Audi/VW reliability was about 7-8 years ago.

It's 2009 right now.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:22 AM
I drive a Subata.

I realized that I need to build up my credit now.. completely forgot about that.

Just received my SSN only about 6 months ago.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:19 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

The changes in product & quality from VW/Audi have been big...but only in a very recent short time....as little as the past few years.

No doubt the past VW/Audi offerings were sketchy at best when it came to quaility.

...but things have changed for the better.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:25 PM
I drive a Subata.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...azdaspeed3.0.*

Sick. 25K fully loaded.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Doooooooo eeeeeeeeeet! Dooooooo eeeeeeeeeet!

Only live once, right?
Old 08-21-2009, 12:56 PM
I drive a Subata.

^ ah shuddap!
Old 08-21-2009, 02:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Are you talking to me??

No, you quoted the OP and said that was his situation... so I was saying that if the OP really has that luxury then he should take advantage and sock his money away. I just quoted you as reference since you appear to know him...
Old 08-21-2009, 02:10 PM
Senior Moderator

I'm going to ask you very nicely.

Please stop this conversation in this thread.

You can make your own thread to talk about how bad Audi/VW reliability was about 7-8 years ago.

It's 2009 right now.
And I'll second this that way it's official
Old 08-21-2009, 02:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by charliemike
But for the love of god man, getting married and buying a house does not have to be the end game. Why is everyone trying to chain him down?
I am not trying to chain him down. In fact, my first reply had some of my details in it to prove that the house (and marriage) are only the beginning and if he plays his cards right and does not waste money on cars now that he can have his cake and eat it too down the road.

That'll teach you to use absolutes
Old 08-21-2009, 03:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,097 Likes on 831 Posts
Originally Posted by juniorbean
And I'll second this that way it's official
Old 08-26-2009, 01:14 PM
I drive a Subata.

Just a little update/rant..

So I had to work on last weekend for the Sunset Junction. So I had Monday and Tuesday off. I was just sleeping and relaxing all day but all of a sudden, this itch just got me so hard that I had to drive to Glendale auto square for some test drivings. I took my gf with me as she is looking to get a new car anyway.

#1 Genesis Coupe
This car has some great low end torque.. I did test drive the 6sp and was definitely surprised about the great amount of torque it puts out. However, the interior was just so plain that I wanted to get out asap.. The funniest thing was that the salesmen didn't know how to fold the back seat.. I taught him how to do it....

#2 Mazdaspeed 3
So I parked my car and realized how ghetto the dealership was. I thought I parked into one of those ghetto liquor stores in K-town. Anyway, I went into dealership and there were like nobody. It took me about 2 minutes before someone came out to tell me if I've been helped. I was simply asking to do a quick test drive.

The salemen said "this is an extremely rare and extraordinary vehicle from Mazda. Each dealership gets 2-3 of this vehicle for an entire year. So we just simply don't allow test drive of this model. We don't want to rack up the mileage on this special vehicle. Sorry."

I was laughing so hard and told him "you know this thing is priced at $24K right?"

The brand new MS3 obviously looking very happy from outside and honestly looks great inside as well. I've read some great reviews of it saying the handling capabilities have been vastly improved.

#3 GTI
It is such an agile performer. I loved it. I mean I drove my friend's GTI couple times before so I knew how this vehicle drives but still I just loved it. The gearbox is smooth & direct and the engine sound is so different from the Japanese cars. You can also get the fully loaded one for like 24-25K right now. What a deal, really.

#4 G37S
I was so thirsty.. just wanted to get a bottle of water from Infiniti dealership. My gf wanted me to test drive G37S, I have no idea why. I asked the salemen if they had a 6sp G37S for a test drive. The first thing he said was which car I'm driving right now. I mean what is that gotta do with test driving G37? I said Acura TL. THEN he preceeded to tell me that they don't have 6sp for a test drive. WTF? Why did he ask me which car I drive right now anyway when he could have just told me that they don't have it in the first place. Noob weirdo.

At this point, I was so dead tired and frustrated with all these BS dealership experience. Just wanted to get some fresh air and 'free food'. So my gf and I parked our car at Lexus Glendale. Right as we entered the front door, like 4-5 salemens and a front desk lady welcomed us... I told them we just wanted to take some rest and get some free food and they guided us to their lounge where they gave us free drinks and popcorn... as well as two computers with uber fast internet connection speed as well. My gf and I spent about 1 hour doing internet there.. I love Lexus!

I'm not going to change my car. I mean I'll try not to.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:59 PM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
We were told the same thing about the MS3 when it first arrived here in ...and they were only allocated to high-volume, well selling dealers.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:30 PM
I drive a Subata.

^ I mean I understand that it is a special variant of Mazda 3, but why wouldn't they produce more of them since it is priced at Civic Si and GTi territory. I'm assuming that the demand for this vehicle could well exceed the supply. The target segment that Mazda 3 is after is young kids right? If Mazda is worried about mass produced MS3 would cannibalize the sales of regular 3s, MS3s can be priced a little bit higher than now and still be able to sell them well.

I don't know, it just doesn't make sense of not letting potential buyers to test drive a $25K car. I mean it could be just me but I was kinda offended by that little salesmen. I don't want to go back to that Mazda dealership now, even if I wanted to purchase MS3.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:50 AM
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Here is the way I see it...

Live it up and buy what you want right now. You won't have an opportunity or you'll have to try a lot harder later in life (when and if you have kids).

If you live it up now, you'll get used to the lifestyle and you'll probably work a lot hard later to sustain your life while your fixed expenses sky rocket. You'll be much more driven to get that promotion or get more education to take another step
Old 08-27-2009, 11:10 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
So whatcha buyin?
Old 08-27-2009, 11:17 AM
I drive a Subata.

I mean I'm trying really really hard not to get a new car.

BUT, if I get a new one, it'll be either fully loaded MS3, Civic Si, 1 year used Evo X GSR, or GTI.

I would only purchase one of these and they must be under $24-25K. My car is currently KBB valued at $13K (Private Party).

Hmm... dilemma...
Old 08-27-2009, 12:37 PM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Mongolian
Here is the way I see it...

Live it up and buy what you want right now. You won't have an opportunity or you'll have to try a lot harder later in life (when and if you have kids).

If you live it up now, you'll get used to the lifestyle and you'll probably work a lot hard later to sustain your life while your fixed expenses sky rocket. You'll be much more driven to get that promotion or get more education to take another step
Or you'll get used to a lifestyle that you may/may not be able to afford later on. No-one can predict the future.....I whole heartedly agree with living it up while your young but that doesn't really justify making bad choices. I would keep the TL and save up for the house.
Old 08-27-2009, 04:00 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
actually i take back what i said earlier about keeping your TL.

Fuck that.. the world will end in 3 years... get what you want so you wont regret later...

fuck all the haters
Old 08-27-2009, 04:16 PM
I drive a Subata.

^ I'm thinking.....

I was actually talking to my parents today and surprisingly they want me to get a new car as well. The reason is that, aside from the fact that my car is getting old at 90K miles, they want to me start paying some monthly payment to build up my credit.

Like I've said in my previous post, I just received my SSN about 7 months ago when I got a job right out of USC. Now I received the H-1B Visa to stay in the US for 6 years without any restrictions, but before that I didn't even have SSN as I was an international student.

Anyway, even if I get a new car, it'll be an affordable car. I'll probably sell my car for around $13K and get a new car that is about $24K-25K. My monthly payment should be around $250 @ 60 months. That should be good for building credit right?
Old 08-27-2009, 05:22 PM
Dragging knees in

^ I'm thinking.....

I was actually talking to my parents today and surprisingly they want me to get a new car as well. The reason is that, aside from the fact that my car is getting old at 90K miles, they want to me start paying some monthly payment to build up my credit.

Like I've said in my previous post, I just received my SSN about 7 months ago when I got a job right out of USC. Now I received the H-1B Visa to stay in the US for 6 years without any restrictions, but before that I didn't even have SSN as I was an international student.

Anyway, even if I get a new car, it'll be an affordable car. I'll probably sell my car for around $13K and get a new car that is about $24K-25K. My monthly payment should be around $250 @ 60 months. That should be good for building credit right?
Well, yes. But it's a double-edged sword because you need credit to get a loan with a decent interest rate. Especially in today's financial situation where credit is still pretty tight.

If building your credit is the main goal, then I would recommend starting with, or in conjunction with a car loan, putting bills in your name such as cell phone, utilities, etc.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:30 PM
I drive a Subata.

^ Oh hyung, my parents are willing to cosign the loan, if i really do it. Wouldn't that be enough for me to get a loan? It'll be only about $12K. I'm a total newb in this type of thing, so please just correct me if I'm wrong. I've never paid any bills til now.

And I should take your advise and put bills in my name even though my parents will pay it. haha

Quick Reply: JS + TL: Dilemma