JS + TL: Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 07:01 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
JS + TL: Dilemma

Alright.. I had my TL for almost 4 years now. My parents bought this for me when I was in community college and it's 3-4 months away from fully paid off.

I got a stable job at this advertising firm right out of school. I save about 60% of the entire salary in the CD account. I still live with my parents (it's the korean thing ) but in reality, I live with my gf. I'm trying to save as much as possible when I don't have to pay rent like now. Hoping to buy a house by the time I possibly get married in couple years. I don't know why but I'd like to get married when I'm young.

For the last couple months, I've been constantly bothered by this thought of getting a new car. My TL, by the way, has been trouble-free for the entire time of my ownership. It gave me so many joyful moments and yes, it did saved my life couple times. I did modify it a little to have some fun and the look that I wanted to have. I just can't find anything that I don't like about this car.

But, I guess now I just want to own something more small, sporty, afforable, fun, stylish, and oh yes, a manual transmission. I'm 24 now and it just feels like this is the right timing in my life to get a small and sporty car that I always wanted. I can probably afford to purchase G37S coupe or 135i, but that's not what I want. I want something really cheap and fun to save money and have a blast at the same time. Like Honda Civic Si, VW GTI, Subaru WRX, Mazda MS3, Mini Cooper S or something like these.

It just seems like a crazy killer deal to get a fully loaded with navi Civic Si Sedan or Coupe for around just $20K! It's a crazy little splendid car too!

Most of my friends think I'm stupid to "downgrade" when I'm not really downgrading in my honest opinion. I bought my TL because I speculated that I need a lot of spaces and 4 doors to haul some stuff and friends while attending my school. And TL really did a good job on that department. Now that I no longer need to haul stuff or give a ride to some of my school friends, I want something smaller and fun.

Sorry, I just rambled a lot. It's an unusually easy work day today.

Give me some good advise you guys. Maybe those of you "old" members can chime in and give me some wise recommendations.

I just feel like getting old or mature already.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:05 PM
I drive a Subata.

Wow, I didn't know it was that long. wtf
Old 08-18-2009, 07:12 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
could you afford to get a second car? why not keep the TL for down the road and pick up something for fun. trust me, as a coupe owner with only one car, the idea at first seems great.. but you start wishing you had 4 doors sometimes.

if you can afford a second car, id say go for it. pick up something cheap fast and fun (which can be done for 10-15k depending on what your looking for) and call it a day. might I recommend a second gen mr2 turbo or even an s2k.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:12 PM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
No car payment > Car payment, especially when you're young.

A four year old car is not old, and it sounds like it's been trouble-free (lucky). It's simply a car ADHD mentally of most young people these days to feel like they always need something new or different.

The opposite side of the coin: It's your hard-earned money - spend it as you please. + You don't have any other real financial commitments at the moment, aside from your personal desire to purchase a home (which, IMO, is a better, sensible choice over the long-term/financially).
Old 08-18-2009, 07:17 PM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Anhedonia
could you afford to get a second car? why not keep the TL for down the road and pick up something for fun. trust me, as a coupe owner with only one car, the idea at first seems great.. but you start wishing you had 4 doors sometimes.

if you can afford a second car, id say go for it. pick up something cheap fast and fun (which can be done for 10-15k depending on what your looking for) and call it a day. might I recommend a second gen mr2 turbo or even an s2k.
My opinion only...But I don't see why at 24, without being established, someone would need two cars...one being $30,000+ and a second car costing another $15,000. That's a lot of money dumped into a depreciating asset, especially considering most people these days will tire of their car(s) within the first 3 years of having it. Add insurance, gas, and maintenance, up-keep on two vehicles and I don't see the point, personally.

Again... House > Car
No Car Payment > Car payment or Cost of owning two cars

If you were older and had other financial responsibilities under control and well-established...That's one thing. But it just doesn't make sense when you're just starting to build good savings and have bigger financial responsibilities lined up in the near future -- house, wedding (he says), bills, etc.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
I would go with a GTI, I love those and if I were to sell my car now that's what I would go for. or an s2k if you never wanna have passengers in your car haha
Old 08-18-2009, 07:18 PM
Drifting

^^ i agree with that as well. honestly, for 5k you can pick up something fun and enjoyable, an mx-5, 3 series vert, hell even some 70's vettes can be had for sub 10k now adays.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts
Mini Cooper S or STI would be tits and still be able to seat 4 and have some cargo space. When I go to autocross, the Mazda 3s, Cooper S, and STIs look super tossable and fun. Props for having some fiscal sense and not trying to spring for an M3
Old 08-18-2009, 07:21 PM
この道は毛むくじゃらのマンコだらけ..

Received 219 Likes on 118 Posts
Lol Aaron, still debating on your car I seee! Honestly just keep the TL for now, it's been trouble free, you old man.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:21 PM
I drive a Subata.

S2K is out of question. I'm not short enough to fit in there.

Even though I don't need much space, getting a 2-seater is just a no no option.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:24 PM
I drive a Subata.

And I completely agree with Street Spirit, having two cars is a no no again. It just doesn't make any sense at this point in my life.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:25 PM
I drive a Subata.

GTI is a great option right now as my friend just picked it up for $24K. It's a great all around car imo.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:28 PM
Drifting

i dont agree with the GTI.. i actually dont like them at all, terrible reliability and just kind of disapointing in the long run when you end up putting 24k in it over the course of the next 6 years.

If your looking for something like it though... the mazdaspeed 3 is an awesome car. my cousin has one, 282 hp from the factory w/a 6 speed... its a dream to drive with lots of room to go up.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:37 PM
I drive a Subata.

Originally Posted by surfer rick
Mini Cooper S or STI would be tits and still be able to seat 4 and have some cargo space. When I go to autocross, the Mazda 3s, Cooper S, and STIs look super tossable and fun. Props for having some fiscal sense and not trying to spring for an M3
Rick! Yeah, Mini Cooper S is my style. It's crazily tossable for sure. I've driven it numerous times and fell in love with it ever since. It's pretty cheap as well.

And yeah, I'm glad I'm not immature enough to just go ahead and get a brand new +$40K car right out of college. haha

Originally Posted by onebadna1nsx
Lol Aaron, still debating on your car I seee! Honestly just keep the TL for now, it's been trouble free, you old man.
Eric, lol yeah............ gosh. I don't know.....

and you should thank god you are still 19... I wish I can go back to that age so I can just drink and play with girls all day every day.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
I say take your TL

Swap in a manual transmission. Swap in some decent supension components and rims/tires if you havent already and you will have a sporty enjoyable car thats paid for.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:41 PM
I drive a Subata.

Originally Posted by Anhedonia
i dont agree with the GTI.. i actually dont like them at all, terrible reliability and just kind of disapointing in the long run when you end up putting 24k in it over the course of the next 6 years.

If your looking for something like it though... the mazdaspeed 3 is an awesome car. my cousin has one, 282 hp from the factory w/a 6 speed... its a dream to drive with lots of room to go up.
eh.. trust me.. every car has pluses and minuses, but GTI one of the greatest little performers in the history. And yes, MS3 is an awesome car it is. It's insanely fast for the price. I'm going to test drive the new one within couple weeks. Oh yeah, the brand new one has this perma-smile front that is fun to look at too.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:45 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by JS + TL
eh.. trust me.. every car has pluses and minuses, but GTI one of the greatest little performers in the history. And yes, MS3 is an awesome car it is. It's insanely fast for the price. I'm going to test drive the new one within couple weeks. Oh yeah, the brand new one has this perma-smile front that is fun to look at too.

im jealous!
Old 08-18-2009, 07:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I feel you....I have the new car itch, too. I'm trying to abstain because my car is only 5.5 years old, but I can't help wanting something newer with more gadgets. My car has also been pretty trouble-free, so getting rid of it at this point doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Meh....
Old 08-18-2009, 07:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 236 Likes on 97 Posts
JS+TL, I think the first thing I would do despite having car ADHD myself, is that I would seriously consider keeping the TL. If I were you I would take that money for a car payment whatever it might be, and save it into a future car fund (that you'll be able to buy cash) or a house purchase later down the line. But if you must get something now, I would go for an R32 or a MS3.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:22 PM
05' AT SSM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Personally i would keep saving, if your car is in good condition, runs good and is paid off your good.

It seems like you want a new sportier car but don't need a new car.

I don't know how much cash you make or are willing to spend on top of selling the TL, but me personally wouldn't spend alot of cash on something i don't need.

Cars are an expensive hobby.

Last edited by KzooTL; 08-18-2009 at 11:25 PM.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:08 AM
seizure force field!

Received 115 Likes on 95 Posts
We only live once, go for it!

I'll be passing my trouble-free Accord to my parents and having them help me on half of my next car... which will be a used MINI Cooper S if all goes well. I plan to mod it up and start autocrossing it, maybe even tracking it.

If you can afford it while still being able to save toward a home/wedding, why not go for it? If you don't do it now you might not be able to do it later when things have to go through the wife!
Old 08-19-2009, 07:41 AM
Under construction

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts
I'd go for a mazdaspeed 3
Old 08-19-2009, 08:03 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Originally Posted by JS + TL
I'm trying to save as much as possible when I don't have to pay rent like now. Hoping to buy a house by the time I possibly get married in couple years. I don't know why but I'd like to get married when I'm young.
You answered your question. Keep saving for the house. If you save enough, you can still get the new car in a few years.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:19 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Originally Posted by NSXNEXT
You answered your question. Keep saving for the house. If you save enough, you can still get the new car in a few years.
I agree with what Street Spirit said, as well as this. In fact, I'm doing this for the second time right now. When I was 23, I paid off my old car and had the choice of keeping my apartment and getting a new car or keeping my old car and buying a house. I bought the house. I got a new car three years later (my 04 TL). Now the TL is paid for. I could stay where I am and get a new car, or I could get a new house and get another car a few years later (well, actually, the plan is cars ). I'm saving for the house.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:36 AM
Under construction

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by chill_dog
I agree with what Street Spirit said, as well as this. In fact, I'm doing this for the second time right now. When I was 23, I paid off my old car and had the choice of keeping my apartment and getting a new car or keeping my old car and buying a house. I bought the house. I got a new car three years later (my 04 TL). Now the TL is paid for. I could stay where I am and get a new car, or I could get a new house and get another car a few years later (well, actually, the plan is cars ). I'm saving for the house.
I'm telling you Jack, turbo that sucka!! lol
Old 08-19-2009, 08:37 AM
Wants an M3 in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
keep the car and get a project/beater. If you get rid of the TL you will RUE THE DAY! Trust me, I sold mine then got another.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:30 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts

I was 24 when we bought our first house (25 when we closed b/c it took 9 months to build).

Keep your TL, save for the house. You have a nice car, it's been good to you, and you can still do some other little mods here and there to keep it "new" to you. Once you have a house and you're settled in, then you can start buying cars again.

Trust me, it may seem like you're giving up cars, but you're not. For about 2 years we had our cars (hers was a 1994 Camry and mine was an 02 TLS) and just kept them running strong.... but after a few years money settles down, you get better jobs (or promotions) and you start making more and more money. It wasn't long before we had 4 cars between the two of us and we could buy whatever we wanted (within reason). We decided against having that many cars, but we still have 3 (her A6, my FJ, and an extra truck we call our Home Depot truck) and I have a motorcycle. Oh, and I haven't had a car payment in about 5 years now... and even when we did it was minimal.

So just be patient. Build up your assets, save some money, get yourself into a good situation, and in a few years you will thank me
Old 08-19-2009, 09:39 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts
SS nailed it. Save the money up for a down payment on a house. I made the mistake of switching cars too many times and now struggling to save as much as i would like to. Once the house is bought and you have some cash burning a hole in your pocket then go for something fun.

The bigger the down payment on your house the better.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:42 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
wow, what are you basing this on? Moog where are you, emergency!!!! hahahaha
Old 08-19-2009, 09:44 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally Posted by FiftyFive

Something I neglected to mention but is a really good point. Our first place we put down 20%, our second (current) place we put down ~38%. Getting that monthly number as low as possible is very important. I couldn't imagine paying some of the mortgages some of my neighbor's are paying b/c they put down 10% and did a 90/10 mortgage (which you can't do anymore, but still). I haven't been working since February and we are still able to cover our obligations and save and honestly, our lifestyle really hasn't changed. Couldn't do that if I was a slave to a mortgage (or any other debt for that matter)...
Old 08-19-2009, 10:33 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
I dont bother giving financial advice on a car forum because 90% of the time, no one listens.

Anyways, buy some used mods and make the TL a better performer. See if that holds out your new-car-urge for a bit. You have a 3rd gen TL? Those are super nice, im sure some sway bars for starters would make things more interesting.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:02 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Save the money for a downpayment on a house and move out, ya bum.

Don't be "that" guy with two cars while living with mom and dad.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:46 PM
I drive a Subata.

Originally Posted by nokiaman
JS+TL, I think the first thing I would do despite having car ADHD myself, is that I would seriously consider keeping the TL. If I were you I would take that money for a car payment whatever it might be, and save it into a future car fund (that you'll be able to buy cash) or a house purchase later down the line. But if you must get something now, I would go for an R32 or a MS3.
Mark! I knew you'd give me some wise advise. I think after looking at all the wise advise on this thread, I'll just mod my TL slightly more to get that car ADHD off of me.. but ah the temptation..

Originally Posted by KzooTL
Personally i would keep saving, if your car is in good condition, runs good and is paid off your good.

It seems like you want a new sportier car but don't need a new car.

I don't know how much cash you make or are willing to spend on top of selling the TL, but me personally wouldn't spend alot of cash on something i don't need.

Cars are an expensive hobby.
Agreed.

Originally Posted by v6cord2k5
We only live once, go for it!

I'll be passing my trouble-free Accord to my parents and having them help me on half of my next car... which will be a used MINI Cooper S if all goes well. I plan to mod it up and start autocrossing it, maybe even tracking it.

If you can afford it while still being able to save toward a home/wedding, why not go for it? If you don't do it now you might not be able to do it later when things have to go through the wife!
I really wanted a white MINI with a single thin red stripe.... ah the temptation..

Originally Posted by alexSU
I'd go for a mazdaspeed 3
MS3 is a beast!

Yeah, I probably won't change my car after reading all these NONO posts.

Originally Posted by chill_dog
Yeah, I think I'm still young! I can buy whatever I want to after house!

Originally Posted by ludachrisvt
keep the car and get a project/beater. If you get rid of the TL you will RUE THE DAY! Trust me, I sold mine then got another.
Trust me, I really wanted to trade in my auto TL for another 3G TL with manual.

Originally Posted by juniorbean

I was 24 when we bought our first house (25 when we closed b/c it took 9 months to build).

Keep your TL, save for the house. You have a nice car, it's been good to you, and you can still do some other little mods here and there to keep it "new" to you. Once you have a house and you're settled in, then you can start buying cars again.

Trust me, it may seem like you're giving up cars, but you're not. For about 2 years we had our cars (hers was a 1994 Camry and mine was an 02 TLS) and just kept them running strong.... but after a few years money settles down, you get better jobs (or promotions) and you start making more and more money. It wasn't long before we had 4 cars between the two of us and we could buy whatever we wanted (within reason). We decided against having that many cars, but we still have 3 (her A6, my FJ, and an extra truck we call our Home Depot truck) and I have a motorcycle. Oh, and I haven't had a car payment in about 5 years now... and even when we did it was minimal.

So just be patient. Build up your assets, save some money, get yourself into a good situation, and in a few years you will thank me
Got it. Thank you, jb. I'll save as much as possible when I don't have any financial constraints.

Originally Posted by FiftyFive
SS nailed it. Save the money up for a down payment on a house. I made the mistake of switching cars too many times and now struggling to save as much as i would like to. Once the house is bought and you have some cash burning a hole in your pocket then go for something fun.

Thank you, FF.

Originally Posted by Crazy Acura
I dont bother giving financial advice on a car forum because 90% of the time, no one listens.

Anyways, buy some used mods and make the TL a better performer. See if that holds out your new-car-urge for a bit. You have a 3rd gen TL? Those are super nice, im sure some sway bars for starters would make things more interesting.
haha I won't listen to you!

j/k, my car is already slightly modified.

Comptech RSB, AEM CAI, UR pulley, A-spec Suspension, A-spec Lip Kit, Stage-3 exhaust, Blacked out headlight with 6K low & fog, Switchbacks.. that's about it.

I think I'll just put in ATLP J-pipe and test pipe to just finish it off and keep the car..

Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
Save the money for a downpayment on a house and move out, ya bum.

Don't be "that" guy with two cars while living with mom and dad.
Hyung! You are supposed to be on my side! haha

Anyway, parents live pretty close to my work anyway. Everything will be fine if I don't date any white ladies which I won't do anyway. but yeah, I'll just keep my TL and save money as much as I can.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:31 PM
JDM Laser Fogs!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
some damn good advise in this thread, not just for the youngins like me but in general, thank you AZ
Old 08-19-2009, 01:34 PM
I drive a Subata.

^ your avatar
Old 08-19-2009, 01:45 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
Everyone that saying don't buy the car is correct. However, if you still have the itch, I'd go rent a sports car or exotic for a day. Trust me, it'll help you aspire for more than a civic SI.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:45 PM
JDM Laser Fogs!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
^^hahah I know, timtim took the shot.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:50 PM
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by juniorbean

Well said

Dont forget that if your TL is paid off it will help you in getting your mortgage as you will show that you have some collateral/equity (even though its a depreciating asset). If you purchase a new vehicle it will put your debt service ratio out of wack and at your age and in these economic times will make it very hard to qualify for a mortgage unless you have a lot down.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:51 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,117 Posts
Keep your car and save the money for a house + wedding ring. Trust the people that have already said this: NO CAR PAYMENT >>>>>>>>*
Old 08-19-2009, 02:01 PM
I drive a Subata.

Originally Posted by cp3117
Well said

Dont forget that if your TL is paid off it will help you in getting your mortgage as you will show that you have some collateral/equity (even though its a depreciating asset). If you purchase a new vehicle it will put your debt service ratio out of wack and at your age and in these economic times will make it very hard to qualify for a mortgage unless you have a lot down.
I was aware of this information. Thank you very much. I'll keep this in mind for sure.

Originally Posted by gatrhumpy
Keep your car and save the money for a house + wedding ring. Trust the people that have already said this: NO CAR PAYMENT >>>>>>>>*
ah.. the wedding ring..

Yeah, I think I'll just keep the TL. No car payment >>>> **

Quick Reply: JS + TL: Dilemma