Jack Baruth: The GT-R is Bad For Nissan

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 11:18 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maximized
I think the guy brings up valid points.

My opinion is that the GTR is one of the most over-rated cars to come out in a long time. Nissan has hyped the car up and the Grand Turismo crowd has taken it in. Every fan boy points to the 7:38 Nurburgring time and says wow. Nissan ran the lap from a rolling start and didn’t finish at the same point where the video started. You can clearly see this in the video that is posted on YouTube. On the other hand, the fan boys say that the GTR is a better deal than say a Z06. This isn’t true at all. The Z06 is clearly faster due to Chevy keeping the weight in check. Lastly, when the Jan Magnusson Z06 ran at the Ring’ he started from a dead stop. What I am trying to get at is that Nissan’s marketing is trying to pull a fast one. They pulled a few tricks to try to beat the competitions times. When a production GTR is tested in the US running the “Lightning Lap” or some other credible test, the GTR will get some respect from me. Other than that, right now the car is all hype.
so how about the lap time at tsukuba?

and didn't the GTR run the 911 on laguna?

fanboys of chevy like to say how fast the Z06 is, but forgets the fact that the GTR wasn't meant to go up against the Z06...and i love the z06 but i can clearly see the difference in both cars

GTR is ur every day super car.....i dont think the Z06 was built with every day driving in mind
Old 03-11-2008, 11:39 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by MaximaPower
so how about the lap time at tsukuba?

and didn't the GTR run the 911 on laguna?

fanboys of chevy like to say how fast the Z06 is, but forgets the fact that the GTR wasn't meant to go up against the Z06...and i love the z06 but i can clearly see the difference in both cars

GTR is ur every day super car.....i dont think the Z06 was built with every day driving in mind
All tests I've seen are pre-production cars. See where I am going with this.

How are the GTR and Z06 not going against each other? Because Nissan says so? That’s not true at all. As for being an “everyday” sports car, that’s BS too. Both the GT-R and Z06 will need snow tires to be a year round daily.

Last edited by Maximized; 03-11-2008 at 11:44 AM.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:45 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 10,604 Likes on 5,377 Posts
Originally Posted by eccjak
Which dealer would that be?
I don't think that's relevant.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:58 AM
Burning Brakes

How are the GTR and Z06 not going against each other? Because Nissan says so? That’s not true at all. As for being an “everyday” sports car, that’s BS too. Both the GT-R and Z06 will need snow tires to be a year round daily.
then wat cars come with snow tires that you suggest would be an every day car?

btw, mine's ran their stock GTR around tsukuba...i'm sure nissan didn't give mine's a "pre-production" car...see where I'm going with this? GTR has been out already, just no here in the states
Old 03-11-2008, 12:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
My sedan needs snow tires to be driven year round. I guess it's not an "everyday" car.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:14 PM
Suzuka Master

then wat cars come with snow tires that you suggest would be an every day car?

btw, mine's ran their stock GTR around tsukuba...i'm sure nissan didn't give mine's a "pre-production" car...see where I'm going with this? GTR has been out already, just no here in the states
You can drive a 900whp Cobra in the snow on Mickey Thompson ET streets. It won't probably make it farther than ten feet and you will most likely end up in a ditch. The tires on both the Z06 and GT-R are summer only tires. That means that the compound isn't designed for colder climates. You SHOULD put snow tires on both cars.

Show me a production GT-R tested in the USA. Also, did you catch the European magazine that tested the GT-R independently at the Ring? Look at the difference in times.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:16 PM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Duh, the Corvette is a two-seater and the GT-R seats 4. Besides you just wait for all of the comparos to be done when the car actually gets here and I'm sure you will grow some respect for it.....
Old 03-11-2008, 12:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by majin ssj eric
Duh, the Corvette is a two-seater and the GT-R seats 4. Besides you just wait for all of the comparos to be done when the car actually gets here and I'm sure you will grow some respect for it.....
My Mustang has room for 5. It's never been used for anything more than a 3 seater on short trips (under 5 mins max). The 911 also has room for rear passengers as well. This is done for insurance purposes. Unless you are an infant or midget, the rear seats are useless.

Last edited by Maximized; 03-11-2008 at 12:24 PM.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:38 PM
I shoot people

Received 2,947 Likes on 1,447 Posts
Originally Posted by eclipse23
In that train of thought....

Acura - NSX
BMW - Alpina or M series
Mercedes - McClarren or AMG
Lexus - The new IS
Infiniti - ???
Acura - NSX
BMW - Alpina or M series
Mercedes - McClarren or AMG
Lexus - The new IS
Infiniti - Nismo
Old 03-11-2008, 12:43 PM
Senior Moderator

^^^ not comparable because Nismo has not made and sold any specifically-branded models in the US, whereas all the others have.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:44 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
This car is going to sell.

People in general have more money for toys now these days. Just look around, how many people have cars above 50k+ cars.. Lots of them.

This car is going to sell on it's merits alone.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
I dont necessarily agree with him, but it's well written. We'll just have to wait and see happens.. Personally, I'm not willing to take a chance and pay 8-20k over MSRP if it truly does turn into a Phaeton.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by deepdezal
People in general have more money for toys now these days. Just look around, how many people have cars above 50k+ cars.. Lots of them.
Most of those people are in debt up to their eyeballs. People have over-leveraged themselves and the housing crisis is a perfect example.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:55 PM
I shoot people

Originally Posted by srika
^^^ not comparable because Nismo has not made and sold any specifically-branded models in the US, whereas all the others have.

350Z Nismo Edition

Frontier Nismo Edition

Old 03-11-2008, 12:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
+1.

Most of those people are in debt up to their eyeballs. People have over-leveraged themselves and the housing crisis is a perfect example.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:01 PM
Burning Brakes

You can drive a 900whp Cobra in the snow on Mickey Thompson ET streets. It won't probably make it farther than ten feet and you will most likely end up in a ditch. The tires on both the Z06 and GT-R are summer only tires. That means that the compound isn't designed for colder climates. You SHOULD put snow tires on both cars.

Show me a production GT-R tested in the USA. Also, did you catch the European magazine that tested the GT-R independently at the Ring? Look at the difference in times.
GTR has optional snow tires, IIRC

my car came with summer tires...i guess my G isn't a daily driver either

edit: http://youtube.com/watch?v=MQlnGB5KsoE

Last edited by MaximaPower; 03-11-2008 at 01:03 PM.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Bring it to the snow belt and see how well it drives. I can drive my 450whp Mustang with RE050A Pole Positions in the snow, but it isn't safe. That's why I bought snow tires. When you are buying a 75K+ car, the 1K for snow tires is cheap. You obviously have never driven a sports car in the winter.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:09 PM
Suzuka Master

I think the point is that whether it comes with all-seasons or summer tires doesn't mean it can't be an "everyday" car.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by mrdeeno
I think the point is that whether it comes with all-seasons or summer tires doesn't mean it can't be an "everyday" car.
My opinion of an everyday car is one that can be driven 365 days a year in all weather conditions. The GTR and Z06 cannot do this well without snow tires or even all-seasons.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:24 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
My opinion of an everyday car is one that can be driven 365 days a year in all weather conditions. The GTR and Z06 cannot do this well without snow tires or even all-seasons.
A TL or TSX with summer tires won't do well 365 days a year in all weather conditions .
Old 03-11-2008, 01:36 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I'd rather see the supra return in all it's glory. No car in my opinion has had a better afterlife since production since the supra (in the latest years). Hell, I see a Supra nowadays and it still gives me goosebumps. Besides, Toyota would keep it somewhat rationally priced whereas the GTR truly is going to be a very select few.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:45 PM
Suzuka Master

I don't agree with your opinion, especially considering that a RWD car with summer tires will qualify as an everyday car in your book while in texas, yet the same car isn't an everyday car if the owner decides to move to PA...the car hasn't changed!
Old 03-11-2008, 02:22 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
If anything, a car with AWD and has > 2 seats is made to be an everyday car. The rear seats of the GTR look pretty comfy compared to most other 4 seat coupes. The question is, would you want to drive your GTR, with snow tires, around in winter in inches of snow when you're surrounded by people who can't drive wearing all-seasons on their cars?

Skillfully you could drive a Z06 in the snow too, with snow tires. But why would you want to?
Old 03-11-2008, 03:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by mrdeeno
I don't agree with your opinion, especially considering that a RWD car with summer tires will qualify as an everyday car in your book while in texas, yet the same car isn't an everyday car if the owner decides to move to PA...the car hasn't changed!
The climate has changed, hence I qualified my statement with all weather. The Texas driver would most likely wreck his car had they driven in Chicago when 9 inches of snow were on the ground or if we got a sudden ice storm. If you aren't accustomed to driving in snow/ice, you don't know better.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by I Go To Costco
If anything, a car with AWD and has > 2 seats is made to be an everyday car. The rear seats of the GTR look pretty comfy compared to most other 4 seat coupes. The question is, would you want to drive your GTR, with snow tires, around in winter in inches of snow when you're surrounded by people who can't drive wearing all-seasons on their cars?

Skillfully you could drive a Z06 in the snow too, with snow tires. But why would you want to?
My uncle John drives his 996 TT in the snow with Pirelli snow tires. He also drove his Z06 in the winter. He has an AWD Escalade too, but but like driving a sports car everyday. Cars are meant to be driven, not museum objects.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:17 PM
Engineer

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by is300eater

350Z Nismo Edition

Frontier Nismo Edition

those are basically just a bunch of bolt ons though... aren't they just suspension, body kits, and stickers? No serious performance increases in their engines...

Nothing like a MB AMG, BMW M, Cadillac V, Audi S, and now Lexus F... Any of these cars are nothing like their regular counterparts, basically completely different animals with a similar body...

Drive a Nismo Z and a regular Z and I doubt you will notice much of a difference, hop in an M or AMG and you will immediately see a difference...
Old 03-11-2008, 03:20 PM
I shoot people

Originally Posted by savage
those are basically just a bunch of bolt ons though... aren't they just suspension, body kits, and stickers? No serious performance increases in their engines...

Nothing like a MB AMG, BMW M, Cadillac V, Audi S, and now Lexus F... Any of these cars are nothing like their regular counterparts, basically completely different animals with a similar body...

Drive a Nismo Z and a regular Z and I doubt you will notice much of a difference, hop in an M or AMG and you will immediately see a difference...

but it's still a "name" they can go on... that was my point.

oh, and... I believe that's how AMG started... "bolt-ons". I know, cause I had a 190E back in the day, bought the aero kit for it... they were nothing more than body kits back then... they weren't even part of M.B.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:23 PM
Engineer

My uncle John drives his 996 TT in the snow with Pirelli snow tires. He also drove his Z06 in the winter. He has an AWD Escalade too, but but like driving a sports car everyday. Cars are meant to be driven, not museum objects.
i agree, I would probably drive it too, but that is not to say that if there is a blizzard outside and I have a perfectly good 4WD SUV in the driveway that I wouldn't take the SUV over the 911 because it is safer in case some idiot hits me. I am not worried about my own driving as much as all the other people on the road...
Old 03-11-2008, 03:28 PM
Engineer

but it's still a "name" they can go on... that was my point.

oh, and... I believe that's how AMG started... "bolt-ons". I know, cause I had a 190E back in the day, bought the aero kit for it... they were nothing more than body kits back then... they weren't even part of M.B.
true, but as you said they gotta go on with it and do something beyond the bolt ons...

They could have built a supercharged or turbo'd 350Z for years now, yet still haven't... Even if it is small volume they should do it on the next gen Z...

If anything I think something like that should have been the halo car for Nissan and use the GTR as the halo for Infiniti...
Old 03-11-2008, 03:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
The car will sell and it will generate a profit for Nissan. Period.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:47 PM
08 MDX with Sports

Hey if people can't buy the 70k Nissan they can always try to lease..
Old 03-11-2008, 04:01 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by F23A4
The car will sell and it will generate a profit for Nissan. Period.

At those numbers I bet not much of a margin. If anything the brand will benefit as well the dealerships.
Old 03-11-2008, 04:05 PM

I never said I wouldn't drive it every chance I could.... though given poor weather conditions my baby is going in the garage. I put at least 15000 miles a year on my car, and I hardly take long road trips or even ever go out of state in a car. I really don't like it when other people drive, because I really do enjoy driving and make it a point to offer to drive all the time. Hardly a garage queen, but if its raining hard out there, or worse, if I'm going somewhere and its snowing, we're taking the beater or a rental or Steve's SUV.

If I had a 911, same thing... AWD or not I would drive it as often as I wanted. Do I trust other drivers in the snow though? Hell no. That's fine and dandy that your uncle John drives his 911 in the snow, its all fun and games until some dumbass brakes too late, locks up his wheels and rear ends Uncle John's 911 and pushes the engine into the rear seats.
Old 03-11-2008, 04:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by I Go To Costco
If I had a 911, same thing... AWD or not I would drive it as often as I wanted. Do I trust other drivers in the snow though? Hell no. That's fine and dandy that your uncle John drives his 911 in the snow, its all fun and games until some dumbass brakes too late, locks up his wheels and rear ends Uncle John's 911 and pushes the engine into the rear seats.
You can have an idiot smash into you on an 80 degree sunny day. That’s what insurance is for. I’d take with my RWD vehicle with good snow tires over my G/F’s AWD SUV with VSC/TC etc. on A/S tires. SUV’s might accelerate better, but the snow tires really make the car brake well in the snow

Last edited by Maximized; 03-11-2008 at 04:38 PM.
Old 03-11-2008, 04:46 PM
Disinformation Terminator

AMG actually started in the late 60's and early 70's as an outstanding and successful builder of production based race cars.

As the 70's wore on, AMG expanded their business into providing passenger car customers with uprated engines, suspensions, and aerodynamic pieces.

That morphed into doing entire AMG editions of various MB cars, such as the AMG Hammer and the 1987 190E AMG 3.2, in the 80's.

In 1990, they signed a deal with MB to sell AMG products through MB retail outlets.

In 1999, they were absorbed by MB entirely.

-Mirror

Last edited by TheMirror; 03-11-2008 at 04:50 PM.
Old 03-11-2008, 04:49 PM

You can have an idiot smash into you on an 80 degree sunny day. That’s what insurance is for. I’d take with my RWD vehicle with good snow tires over my G/F’s AWD SUV with VSC/TC etc. on A/S tires. SUV’s might accelerate better, but the snow tires really make the car brake well in the snow
Yeah, and you can pretty much drown in a 5 foot pool if you don't know how to swim, but even if you do, that's what lifeguards are for!

But when you're swimming in a piranha infested river, screw the boat, swim, its just as safe....

My point is its much safer in 80 degree weather than it is in below freezing when the street is covered in snow and black ice. That's silly, taking a Z06 out in the snow when you have an Escalade. Where did your uncle buy the Escalade anyway then? Fit snow tires on an AWD SUV... it'll pretty much be a tank, feels very safe. Insurance or not I'd rather not have an idiot smash into me, thanks. I'd feel much better if he smashed into my dinky ass beater Civic rather than see my baby crumpled up in pieces. That's just me though.

If I had a GTR I would drive the thing every day.... but what do I know, I live in California. I sure as hell wouldn't take it to just get groceries or take friends to go snowboarding though, chances are if I had a GTR I would have a vehicle much more suited to doing just those things.

People get so worked up over someone saying the GTR isn't an all-weather vehicle...
Old 03-11-2008, 04:52 PM
Senior Moderator

350Z Nismo Edition

Frontier Nismo Edition

arguable
Old 03-11-2008, 04:58 PM
Senior Moderator

GTR has optional snow tires, IIRC

edit: http://youtube.com/watch?v=MQlnGB5KsoE
awesome. that would be a sweet car for Chicago!
Old 03-11-2008, 04:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by eclipse23
I'd rather see the supra return in all it's glory. No car in my opinion has had a better afterlife since production since the supra (in the latest years). Hell, I see a Supra nowadays and it still gives me goosebumps. Besides, Toyota would keep it somewhat rationally priced whereas the GTR truly is going to be a very select few.
+muthafackin1
Old 03-11-2008, 05:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by TheMirror
AMG actually started in the late 60's and early 70's as an outstanding and successful builder of production based race cars.

As the 70's wore on, AMG expanded their business into providing passenger car customers with uprated engines, suspensions, and aerodynamic pieces.

That morphed into doing entire AMG editions of various MB cars, such as the AMG Hammer and the 1987 190E AMG 3.2, in the 80's.

In 1990, they signed a deal with MB to sell AMG products through MB retail outlets.

In 1999, they were absorbed by MB entirely.

-Mirror
I f'ing LOVE AMG. Been a fan since they started doing MB's in the 80's and I think they are one of the best tuner success stories, to be fully integrated by MB.

Quick Reply: Jack Baruth: The GT-R is Bad For Nissan