I've Been Brainwashed, Too

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 04:43 AM
Evil Mazda Driver

Received 174 Likes on 89 Posts
I've Been Brainwashed, Too

But I've seen the light...

This rant requires a little back story. I promise I'll make it short. Back in 1951 a seemingly innocuous incident at a Salem, Oregon gas station lead to a small amount of gasoline making its way into a nearby storm drain. Something like four fish died but the Oregon State Legislature went into a frenzy and promptly banned self-service gasoline, a law that stubbornly and stupidly remains to this day. Fifty-eight years of brainwashing to the citizens of Oregon have taken their toll. I'm convinced that 99% of the population now falsely believes:

- Fuel pumps are evil, will molest your children, immediately cause your car to ignite, and give you cancer. That cancer will be fast-spreading and you will likely die within a week.
- This is an inherently dangerous task that only 'trained, authorized individuals' are qualified to undertake.
- Fuel gushes from around these handles in river-like flows, causing you to smell like an oil refinery after the fact.

Being born and raised in Oregon, I have always been used to the self-service ban. But as I've gotten older and traveled, I have realized just how fucking stupid this law is. I recently visited 24 other states, all of which I was freely allowed to pump my own fuel as intended. A total of 370 gallons were dispensed from pumps by yours truly with ZERO incident. It was liberating and amazing, I have to admit. I figured the feeling would pass. It did not. In fact, I began to dread going home and back to the mandatory gas station babysitting.

I hate the fact I have to wait for some 17 year old with a bad attitude to spend ten minutes trolling about before coming over to my vehicle. When he finally does come over, they NEVER acknowledge your request (the response is either a grunt or silence), and take great pride in spilling fuel down the side of my vehicle and also allowing the tethered cap to bang against the side of the car. And the problem extends like a virus beyond the borders of the state. I have heard stories of idiot Oregonians who don't even want to get near a gas pump running into out-of-state stations, complaining to the management that they were not 'served in a proper fashion'. I was up in Washington for a concert a few years ago. Another car from Oregon pulls in and the husband goes in to pre-pay. The wife gets out of the car and goes to remove the handle and then realizes she has no idea what she's doing. She stares at the pump with the expression of a child surveying the control panel for a nuclear reactor and that pushing the wrong button might send us into oblivion.

And the thing that pisses me off the most about this is it will NEVER change. So...being so close to Washington state, I don't think I will be buying my fuel in Oregon again any time soon unless I absolutely have to. I am sick tired of being told I'm too stupid to do something people in all other states (except New Jersey) do millions of times everyday.

End rant. Thank you.
Old 05-23-2009, 05:06 AM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
yeah i like to pump my own gas, and thank god i can in pa
Old 05-23-2009, 06:00 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
lol I can only imagine...

If I lived in NJ (ugh ) or in OR all my life and went to another state, I'd be nervous about pumping my gas and try to hide the fact that I'm doing it. How the rest of us take something so small for granted so much. I think the self-serve ban is retarded.

The only time I'd want someone else to pump my gas for me is if it were snowing to the point where you would have a hard time seeing outside without squinting your eyes and it was so cold your nipples got hard underneath a snow jacket and two layers of clothing.... which happens never in CA. Then again, that mild amount of retardation on the legislators' part isn't nearly as bad as what we get here in CA. I don't even want to begin.
Old 05-23-2009, 06:33 AM
gistered User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've gone to the same Luke-Oil gs for the last 18 years. Always get out of my car to eye-ball the same one or two attendants-who has pumped gas for me. Taught them to be careful with my baby; avoid drips, and give a good 'crank' to the gas cap. It's as close as I'm gonna get to filling my tank, myself, in NJ. I don't do, or, haven't taken a long enough trip to use another station in 3-4 years. But I would do the same procedure wherever I am-where I couldn't pump my own gas.
Old 05-23-2009, 07:09 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
Although I live in NJ, I usually pump my own gas OR at least get it started before the attendant arrives by swiping my credit card and inserting the nozzle.

The exception would be at Hess stations where an attendant card has to be swiped prior to any transaction.

In any event, I'm out the car and watching the process carefully.
Old 05-23-2009, 07:37 AM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
It's very uncommon to find full-serve gas stations around here - they're pretty much all self-serve. I've filled up at a full-serve and it always seems to take ten times longer, usually because they also have a lot fewer pumps. I think the part I hate most about full-serve is handing over my credit card for them to swipe. I know I do that multiple times a week with other vendors, but I always feel more suspicious of their activities at a gas station (I guess because full-serve is so rare). I'd rather fill my tank and swipe the card myself. I prefer self-serve 100%....and yes, even in the dead of winter.

As a side note -- I had to make a stop at the gas station to fill up as part of driving lessons. They ask you to stop and show you how to fill up, etc so that you can feel confident doing everything you need to do to maintain your car. They also show you around your car, under the hood, how to check the oil, etc as part of the lessons too. I think that's important, as it's obvious how intimidating it can be when some of my friends - who never took proper driver's ed or who don't have a licence - try to do everyday tasks.
Old 05-23-2009, 08:01 AM

Just curious...for those who are forced to use full-serve.... Do you tip the person filling your tank?
Old 05-23-2009, 08:18 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
When the weather is nasty I enjoy having someone else pumping the gas for me. I grew up in NJ but now that I live in NC I have become an expert on pumping gas. When in NJ I go to WaWa and find the attendents there very friendly. We went on a 3 week (starting 4/25) 24 state, 9,000 mile cross country roadtrip (ending 5/17) The attendent at one of the gas stations in Oregon had a attitude.
Old 05-23-2009, 08:41 AM
gistered User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Street Spirit
Just curious...for those who are forced to use full-serve.... Do you tip the person filling your tank?
Funny. I thought about it several weeks ago. I decided to do just that at sometime around Christmas.
Old 05-23-2009, 08:44 AM
it's a car-drive it

Originally Posted by nj2pa2nc
When the weather is nasty I enjoy having someone else pumping the gas for me. I grew up in NJ but now that I live in NC I have become an expert on pumping gas. When in NJ I go to WaWa and find the attendents there very friendly. We went on a 3 week (starting 4/25) 24 state, 9,000 mile cross country roadtrip (ending 5/17) The attendent at one of the gas stations in Oregon had a attitude.
When I lived in Pa, near NJ, I would get my car filled in NJ as the price of gas was cheaper and still is.
One of the gas attendents at the WaWa gas station I go to in Toms River collects shot glasses. I plan to give her 3 of them I bought on our roadtrip.

Last edited by nj2pa2nc; 05-23-2009 at 08:46 AM.
Old 05-23-2009, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by DiaBando
Funny. I thought about it several weeks ago. I decided to do just that at sometime around Christmas.
Yeah, as I said, I never really do full-serve....but wonder now if people tip the attendants, especially during winter months.
Old 05-23-2009, 11:07 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wow, I don't even know what that would be like...I guess MD does some things right.
Old 05-23-2009, 11:41 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,117 Posts
There was one gas station in NY where I grew up that had a full-serve station. My mom would tip the guy a buck to fill it up.

So when and if I ever visit NJ or Oregon, I have to let someone else pump my gas? What if I'm in a hurry? What if I don't want them dripping fuel down the side of my car? Can I pump it anyways and risk getting arrested? I doubt a cop will be watching me...
Old 05-23-2009, 11:56 AM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,392 Likes on 4,937 Posts
I hate, hate, hate whenever I drive to NY and fill up in Jersey I have to let someone else pump the gas.

I may start filling up in Deleware or try stretching the tank out to NY (did it once, not fun).

I cant wait to drive the Civic up to NY, so when I get to the station Ill pop the trunk and they will look at me funny.
Old 05-23-2009, 12:47 PM
Rooting for Acura

Received 1,765 Likes on 804 Posts
Wow. I had no idea. That is retarded.

That was one of the funniest rants I've read
Old 05-23-2009, 01:09 PM
it's a car-drive it

more annoying is pulling in a self service station, all the pumps have cars next to them but noone around. They are inside prepaying. They come out, fill up their car and then have to go back inside to finish their transaction.
Old 05-23-2009, 02:06 PM
Acuras Only in

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I feel your pain bro .... I remember back in the days there are both full & self service stations here in CA & PA ...
Old 05-23-2009, 02:39 PM
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by knight rider

I agree.....This surprised the hell out of me and i actually thought it was a joke when i was reading it.

I guess it may help the employment rate in that state or is gas typically higher there than other states because of this?
Old 05-23-2009, 02:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
God that is incredibly STUPID. I feel sorry for people who live in Oregon or NJ.
Old 05-23-2009, 02:46 PM
it's a car-drive it

Originally Posted by cp3117
I agree.....This surprised the hell out of me and i actually thought it was a joke when i was reading it.

I guess it may help the employment rate in that state or is gas typically higher there than other states because of this?
Actually gas prices in NJ are lower than most states.(at least 20 cents a gal cheaper than NC) You get used to it when you live in that state. At times I envy not having to get out of my car to pump gas (rainy, cold days)

Last edited by nj2pa2nc; 05-23-2009 at 02:50 PM.
Old 05-23-2009, 03:05 PM
it's a car-drive it

NJ is the state with jughandles, diners, pork roll and no self service gas stations.
Old 05-23-2009, 03:21 PM
it's a car-drive it

Originally Posted by neuronbob
God that is incredibly STUPID. I feel sorry for people who live in Oregon or NJ.
when we were in cleveland two weeks ago gas prices there were alot higher than NJ and we had to pump it ourselves.
Old 05-23-2009, 04:12 PM
it's a car-drive it

when we were in cleveland two weeks ago gas prices there were alot higher than NJ and we had to pump it ourselves.
every so many years someone wants to get self-service gas stations in NJ and it is turned down by the majority of voters.
Old 05-23-2009, 04:25 PM
Evil Mazda Driver

For some serious factor, read the actual law. It's dripping with bullshit from head to toe. The bold parts are the ones I have deemed the most full of shit.

The Legislative Assembly declares that, except as provided in ORS 480.345 to 480.385, it is in the public interest to maintain a prohibition on the self-service dispensing of Class 1 flammable liquids at retail. The Legislative Assembly finds and declares that:

(1) The dispensing of Class 1 flammable liquids by dispensers properly trained in appropriate safety procedures reduces fire hazards directly associated with the dispensing of Class 1 flammable liquids;

(2) Appropriate safety standards often are unenforceable at retail self-service stations in other states because cashiers are often unable to maintain a clear view of and give undivided attention to the dispensing of Class 1 flammable liquids by customers; Translation: You can't be trusted with this task and must be watched at all times.

(3) Higher liability insurance rates charged to retail self-service stations reflect the dangers posed to customers when they leave their vehicles to dispense Class 1 flammable liquids, such as the increased risk of crime and the increased risk of personal injury resulting from slipping on slick surfaces; - Plausible. Can't say I've seen cheaper insurance like the peeps in NJ.

(4) The dangers of crime and slick surfaces described in subsection (3) of this section are enhanced because Oregon’s weather is uniquely adverse, causing wet pavement and reduced visibility; - Then by this logic, nobody in any place anywhere should be allowed to do this, especially way up north where it's snowy and icy in the winter.

(5) The dangers described in subsection (3) of this section are heightened when the customer is a senior citizen or has a disability, especially if the customer uses a mobility aid, such as a wheelchair, walker, cane or crutches; - Last I checked, all service stations that are self-serve offer these same services to the elderly and disabled. I can't say I've ever seen an 85 year try to pump their own fuel at 3 AM when a staff member is off duty.

(6) Attempts by other states to require the providing of aid to senior citizens and persons with disabilities in the self-service dispensing of Class 1 flammable liquids at retail have failed, and therefore, senior citizens and persons with disabilities must pay the higher costs of full service; - B.S. - Moving on.

(7) Exposure to toxic fumes represents a health hazard to customers dispensing Class 1 flammable liquids; So does getting out of bed in the morning.

(8) The hazard described in subsection (7) of this section is heightened when the customer is pregnant; - Perhaps her husband could do it for her? Never met a child fucked up in the head because his mother pumped her own fuel while she was pregnant with him. Do they think people huff the fumes?

(9) The exposure to Class 1 flammable liquids through dispensing should, in general, be limited to as few individuals as possible, such as gasoline station owners and their employees or other trained and certified dispensers;

(10) The typical practice of charging significantly higher prices for full-service fuel dispensing in states where self-service is permitted at retail: - Not really. If you go up to Washington and knock off the extra 10¢ per gallon gas tax, the prices are damn near identical.

(a) Discriminates against customers with lower incomes, who are under greater economic pressure to subject themselves to the inconvenience and hazards of self-service; - Wow...just wow.

(b) Discriminates against customers who are elderly or have disabilities who are unable to serve themselves and so must pay the significantly higher prices; and

(c) Increases self-service dispensing and thereby decreases maintenance checks by attendants, which results in neglect of maintenance, endangering both the customer and other motorists and resulting in unnecessary and costly repairs; - What? Can't say I've ever seen a pump falling apart due to self service. Crimany...

(11) The increased use of self-service at retail in other states has contributed to diminishing the availability of automotive repair facilities at gasoline stations; - No...making the guy working on a car go pump somebody's gas caused this, morons.

(12) Self-service dispensing at retail in other states does not provide a sustained reduction in fuel prices charged to customers; - Nor does it provided a sustained increase.

(13) A general prohibition of self-service dispensing of Class 1 flammable liquids by the general public promotes public welfare by providing increased safety and convenience without causing economic harm to the public in general; - Whatever...

(14) Self-service dispensing at retail contributes to unemployment, particularly among young people; - Ha! I guess McDonald's isn't hiring outside Oregon.

(15) Self-service dispensing at retail presents a health hazard and unreasonable discomfort to persons with disabilities, elderly persons, small children and those susceptible to respiratory diseases; - I think they just like saying this. For those not keeping track, this is the fourth time the elderly/disabled have been brought up in this bill.

(16) The federal Americans with Disabilities Act, Public Law 101-336, requires that equal access be provided to persons with disabilities at retail gasoline stations; and - See #15

(17) Small children left unattended when customers leave to make payment at retail self-service stations creates a dangerous situation. [1991 c.863 §49a; 1999 c.59 §160; 2007 c.70 §276] - Again...WHAT THE FUCK?
Old 05-23-2009, 04:36 PM
Team Owner

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts
I think I would be pissed off I couldn't pump my own gas.
Old 05-23-2009, 04:41 PM
how handsome I am

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PortlandRL
But I've seen the light...

This rant requires a little back story. I promise I'll make it short. Back in 1951 a seemingly innocuous incident at a Salem, Oregon gas station lead to a small amount of gasoline making its way into a nearby storm drain. Something like four fish died but the Oregon State Legislature went into a frenzy and promptly banned self-service gasoline, a law that stubbornly and stupidly remains to this day. Fifty-eight years of brainwashing to the citizens of Oregon have taken their toll. I'm convinced that 99% of the population now falsely believes:

- Fuel pumps are evil, will molest your children, immediately cause your car to ignite, and give you cancer. That cancer will be fast-spreading and you will likely die within a week.
- This is an inherently dangerous task that only 'trained, authorized individuals' are qualified to undertake.
- Fuel gushes from around these handles in river-like flows, causing you to smell like an oil refinery after the fact.

Being born and raised in Oregon, I have always been used to the self-service ban. But as I've gotten older and traveled, I have realized just how fucking stupid this law is. I recently visited 24 other states, all of which I was freely allowed to pump my own fuel as intended. A total of 370 gallons were dispensed from pumps by yours truly with ZERO incident. It was liberating and amazing, I have to admit. I figured the feeling would pass. It did not. In fact, I began to dread going home and back to the mandatory gas station babysitting.

I hate the fact I have to wait for some 17 year old with a bad attitude to spend ten minutes trolling about before coming over to my vehicle. When he finally does come over, they NEVER acknowledge your request (the response is either a grunt or silence), and take great pride in spilling fuel down the side of my vehicle and also allowing the tethered cap to bang against the side of the car. And the problem extends like a virus beyond the borders of the state. I have heard stories of idiot Oregonians who don't even want to get near a gas pump running into out-of-state stations, complaining to the management that they were not 'served in a proper fashion'. I was up in Washington for a concert a few years ago. Another car from Oregon pulls in and the husband goes in to pre-pay. The wife gets out of the car and goes to remove the handle and then realizes she has no idea what she's doing. She stares at the pump with the expression of a child surveying the control panel for a nuclear reactor and that pushing the wrong button might send us into oblivion.

And the thing that pisses me off the most about this is it will NEVER change. So...being so close to Washington state, I don't think I will be buying my fuel in Oregon again any time soon unless I absolutely have to. I am sick tired of being told I'm too stupid to do something people in all other states (except New Jersey) do millions of times everyday.

End rant. Thank you.

so... are you trying to tell me you guys dont pump your own gas in Oregon? Get the fuck outta here.

Move to FL, where the grass is green , the sand is grand , and the fuel is pumped however you please.
Old 05-23-2009, 04:43 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by agranado
so... are you trying to tell me you guys dont pump your own gas in Oregon?
(not that I live there..)
New Jersey is like that too.
Old 05-23-2009, 04:49 PM
how handsome I am

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TS_eXpeed
(not that I live there..)
New Jersey is like that too.
Before reading this thread, I probably would have never known that either state is required by law to do full-service.
Old 05-23-2009, 05:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Ahhh Oregon..

Yes, I've experienced a few of this state's finest citizens pumping in regular after specifically telling them to put in premium. They tell me I can't touch the nozzle and switch it. Its in fact illegal and has some sort of a fine even. Apparently I'm not qualified..
Old 05-23-2009, 05:09 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
Ahhh Oregon..

Yes, I've experienced a few of this state's finest citizens pumping in regular after specifically telling them to put in premium. They tell me I can't touch the nozzle and switch it. Its in fact illegal and has some sort of a fine even. Apparently I'm not qualified..
Only a select few have that special touch.
Old 05-23-2009, 05:14 PM
Por Favor?

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
The only issue I have with full serve is that if someone isn't paying full and complete attention to the process, you're likely to see someone drive off with the nozzle in the car. Even I did it one time...I was in a hurry and just assumed that after what felt a long time after walking back out to the car from the convenience store, the lazy idiot would have buttoned the car back up. NOPE, NOT THE CASE!! I've seen it happen several times before. Gas station workers probably see it happen a couple times a week I would venture to guess, especially if the filler door is on the passenger side...like I said it can be very easy to miss if you're not paying sharp attention.

Other than that hazard it's pretty cool to be able to chill in your car and let them do it. The only exceptions in OR are if you're on a bike or filling a company vehicle at an unmanned commerical station, like a Pacific Pride or similar. I think don't think semi's or big commerical rigs get service either.

Last edited by Brandon24pdx; 05-23-2009 at 05:18 PM.
Old 05-23-2009, 05:32 PM
Rooting for Acura

Received 1,765 Likes on 804 Posts
Originally Posted by PortlandRL
For some serious factor, read the actual law. It's dripping with bullshit from head to toe. The bold parts are the ones I have deemed the most full of shit.

The Legislative Assembly declares that, except as provided in ORS 480.345 to 480.385, it is in the public interest to maintain a prohibition on the self-service dispensing of Class 1 flammable liquids at retail. The Legislative Assembly finds and declares that:

(1) The dispensing of Class 1 flammable liquids by dispensers properly trained in appropriate safety procedures reduces fire hazards directly associated with the dispensing of Class 1 flammable liquids;

(2) Appropriate safety standards often are unenforceable at retail self-service stations in other states because cashiers are often unable to maintain a clear view of and give undivided attention to the dispensing of Class 1 flammable liquids by customers; Translation: You can't be trusted with this task and must be watched at all times.

(3) Higher liability insurance rates charged to retail self-service stations reflect the dangers posed to customers when they leave their vehicles to dispense Class 1 flammable liquids, such as the increased risk of crime and the increased risk of personal injury resulting from slipping on slick surfaces; - Plausible. Can't say I've seen cheaper insurance like the peeps in NJ.

(4) The dangers of crime and slick surfaces described in subsection (3) of this section are enhanced because Oregon’s weather is uniquely adverse, causing wet pavement and reduced visibility; - Then by this logic, nobody in any place anywhere should be allowed to do this, especially way up north where it's snowy and icy in the winter.

(5) The dangers described in subsection (3) of this section are heightened when the customer is a senior citizen or has a disability, especially if the customer uses a mobility aid, such as a wheelchair, walker, cane or crutches; - Last I checked, all service stations that are self-serve offer these same services to the elderly and disabled. I can't say I've ever seen an 85 year try to pump their own fuel at 3 AM when a staff member is off duty.

(6) Attempts by other states to require the providing of aid to senior citizens and persons with disabilities in the self-service dispensing of Class 1 flammable liquids at retail have failed, and therefore, senior citizens and persons with disabilities must pay the higher costs of full service; - B.S. - Moving on.

(7) Exposure to toxic fumes represents a health hazard to customers dispensing Class 1 flammable liquids; So does getting out of bed in the morning.

(8) The hazard described in subsection (7) of this section is heightened when the customer is pregnant; - Perhaps her husband could do it for her? Never met a child fucked up in the head because his mother pumped her own fuel while she was pregnant with him. Do they think people huff the fumes?

(9) The exposure to Class 1 flammable liquids through dispensing should, in general, be limited to as few individuals as possible, such as gasoline station owners and their employees or other trained and certified dispensers;

(10) The typical practice of charging significantly higher prices for full-service fuel dispensing in states where self-service is permitted at retail: - Not really. If you go up to Washington and knock off the extra 10¢ per gallon gas tax, the prices are damn near identical.

(a) Discriminates against customers with lower incomes, who are under greater economic pressure to subject themselves to the inconvenience and hazards of self-service; - Wow...just wow.

(b) Discriminates against customers who are elderly or have disabilities who are unable to serve themselves and so must pay the significantly higher prices; and

(c) Increases self-service dispensing and thereby decreases maintenance checks by attendants, which results in neglect of maintenance, endangering both the customer and other motorists and resulting in unnecessary and costly repairs; - What? Can't say I've ever seen a pump falling apart due to self service. Crimany...

(11) The increased use of self-service at retail in other states has contributed to diminishing the availability of automotive repair facilities at gasoline stations; - No...making the guy working on a car go pump somebody's gas caused this, morons.

(12) Self-service dispensing at retail in other states does not provide a sustained reduction in fuel prices charged to customers; - Nor does it provided a sustained increase.

(13) A general prohibition of self-service dispensing of Class 1 flammable liquids by the general public promotes public welfare by providing increased safety and convenience without causing economic harm to the public in general; - Whatever...

(14) Self-service dispensing at retail contributes to unemployment, particularly among young people; - Ha! I guess McDonald's isn't hiring outside Oregon.

(15) Self-service dispensing at retail presents a health hazard and unreasonable discomfort to persons with disabilities, elderly persons, small children and those susceptible to respiratory diseases; - I think they just like saying this. For those not keeping track, this is the fourth time the elderly/disabled have been brought up in this bill.

(16) The federal Americans with Disabilities Act, Public Law 101-336, requires that equal access be provided to persons with disabilities at retail gasoline stations; and - See #15

(17) Small children left unattended when customers leave to make payment at retail self-service stations creates a dangerous situation. [1991 c.863 §49a; 1999 c.59 §160; 2007 c.70 §276] - Again...WHAT THE FUCK?
Jim: Bob
Bob: Yeah Jim
Jim: I need a law that says people can't pump their own gas
Bob:
Bob: you serious?
Jim: as a heart attack
Jim: can you get with your people and have it on my desk by next week?
Bob: aaahhh, yeah...

<Next Week>
Bob: Jim, here ya go
Jim: [reads the B.S. above]
Jim: Bob, how'd you come up with this B.S.?...I...I...mean, you're a genius!
Bob: well I can't take all the credit. I got with my lawyer, my lawyer's lawyer and my lawyer's lawyer's lawyer.
Jim: Thanks Bob! This is good stuff
Bob: I know but I don't think it'll go over well with the general public
Jim: No worries. When is the last time "the people" were ever represented by their representatives?
Jim: good point
Jim: anything else you need?
Bob: next, you can help me out with a law that prevents men from holding their own penises when going into public restrooms
Jim:
Bob:
Bob: ttyl
Jim: take care Bob!
Old 05-23-2009, 05:35 PM

more annoying is pulling in a self service station, all the pumps have cars next to them but noone around. They are inside prepaying. They come out, fill up their car and then have to go back inside to finish their transaction.

Here, you can pay at the pump day or night before you start filling up....just swipe your card, select the grade you want, fill, hang up the hose, get receipt (if you want), and go. The alternative is going inside to pay the attendant.
Old 05-23-2009, 05:45 PM

I hate it when attendants try to 'top it off' after your tank is full, too. The few times I've gone to full-serve stations, they've always done it. When the tank is full, pull out the hose, let me pay, and go. I don't care if I pay $23.36 or $25.00. In fact, I'd rather pay $23.86 than get an extra few drops of gas.
Old 05-23-2009, 05:57 PM
Evil Mazda Driver

Jim: Bob
Bob: Yeah Jim
Jim: I need a law that says people can't pump their own gas
Bob:
Bob: you serious?
Jim: as a heart attack
Jim: can you get with your people and have it on my desk by next week?
Bob: aaahhh, yeah...

<Next Week>
Bob: Jim, here ya go
Jim: [reads the B.S. above]
Jim: Bob, how'd you come up with this B.S.?...I...I...mean, you're a genius!
Bob: well I can't take all the credit. I got with my lawyer, my lawyer's lawyer and my lawyer's lawyer's lawyer.
Jim: Thanks Bob! This is good stuff
Bob: I know but I don't think it'll go over well with the general public
Jim: No worries. When is the last time "the people" were ever represented by their representatives?
Jim: good point
Jim: anything else you need?
Bob: next, you can help me out with a law that prevents men from holding their own penises when going into public restrooms
Jim:
Bob:
Bob: ttyl
Jim: take care Bob!

I found this mock law which also made me piss myself laughing:

"Section 1. An owner, operator or employee of a supermarket, grocery store, convenience store or other dispensary where human food consumables are dispensed at retail may not permit any person other than the owner, operator or employee to use, manipulate or fill any shopping cart, shopping basket, shopping tote bag or other device designed for containment and/or transportation of said human food consumables."
Old 05-23-2009, 06:33 PM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Received 997 Likes on 535 Posts

Well, here in Japan we have mostly full service. But now the popular trend is to have self serve.

A new Esso station opened near my house about 2 years ago, and it was the first self serve in the area. So they had attendants out there helping people and instructing them on how to pump their own gas. I mean, it was purely comical to see the pleasant instruction by these young people (some nice looking girls too) in their perfect uniforms showing people how to follow the instructions on the kiosk (all electronic).

But there are still full service stations here. The difference is the young people have a nice attitude, will check your oil and wash your windows while filling it up. Now, at $5.00 plus a gallon, they better lick my underside if I asked.

On the military bases, it's all self serve. As it was intended by the almighty lords of the pump. I never thought the US would have laws like that. It sounds like a Cal Berkley thing.
Old 05-23-2009, 06:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Originally Posted by mrmako
Cal Berkley thing.
Thats what Oregon is.. Berkley of the North
Old 05-23-2009, 07:03 PM
it's a car-drive it

Originally Posted by Street Spirit
Here, you can pay at the pump day or night before you start filling up....just swipe your card, select the grade you want, fill, hang up the hose, get receipt (if you want), and go. The alternative is going inside to pay the attendant.
You can do the same thing here but for those who pay cash they have to prepay.
Old 05-23-2009, 09:40 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Although it does prevent station owners from having dumbshits drive off with the pump still attached. Happens quite a bit.
Old 05-24-2009, 05:48 AM
it's a car-drive it

Originally Posted by subinf
Although it does prevent station owners from having dumbshits drive off with the pump still attached. Happens quite a bit.
also prevents driving off without paying. Reason why more stations make you prepay or use a credit/debit card

Quick Reply: I've Been Brainwashed, Too