Issue with front wheel bearing

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 09:05 PM
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Issue with front wheel bearing

I have a 99 Integra GS-R that I have been building. I recently took the entire front knuckle assemblies to a local shop to have some new wheel bearings, extended studs and lower ball joints pressed in. When I was re-installing the rotors I noticed a couple issues. Kind of hard to explain so I have attached a link to a YouTube video of my car and the issue.

99 Integra front wheel bearing issue - YouTube[/ame]"]

You can see how much the rotor moves while spinning and sometimes even grinds against the caliper bracket. Never seen anything like this but I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to look like that. Before taking the video I made sure everything was tight and had no wobble or play at all. The EBC rotor is also brand new out of the box and is perfectly straight with no warping at all so pretty certain the rotor is not the issue. I'm thinking that when the shop pressed in the new wheel bearing and re-installed the hub they failed to install it straight which is causing the movement when the hub spins. I'm not sure if that's even possible or if it could be something else. Also wondering what the fix for this would be or if the whole thing just needs to be redone correctly.

The other side might have the same issue but I wasn't even able to get the rotor on the hub because the studs are installed crooked and won't line up with the holes in the rotor..

I will be taking both knuckles back to the shop that did the work but I wanted to get an idea if what I'm thinking is right before I go in there and blame them for something that may not be their fault.

Looking for some advice from the gurus here on AcuraZine Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

TL;DR watch the video and give me your opinion on what's wrong.

(couldn't find a troubleshooting section for this car so posted here in car talk, I apologize if its the wrong section)
Old 02-03-2016, 04:51 PM
Cruisin'

Anybody? Ideas? Opinions??

Talked to a couple buddies about this and they agree with me but I want to get some input from some more experienced folks and maybe a way to fix it without redoing everything
Old 02-03-2016, 04:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,582 Likes on 6,629 Posts
Why don't you just take off the rotor and see if the wheel bearing runs true on its own
Old 02-03-2016, 06:37 PM
Cruisin'

Thank you for the response. I checked and the wheel bearing does run true on its own. When I looked at it again tonight it looks like the rotor doesn't sit right on the face of the hub. Seems like there is a 2mm gap between the rotor and hub and same thing happens when I try the old rotor as well. I'm gonna look at it more tomorrow in the daylight to see why it won't sit flush on the hub.
Old 02-03-2016, 06:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,582 Likes on 6,629 Posts
You may have some material on the hub that needs sanding down to make sure the face (surface that mates with the rotor) is completely flat.

Good luck!