Interesting trip to the Honda dealer (2018 Honda Accord Sport 10AT)

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 08:09 PM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Interesting trip to the Honda dealer (2018 Honda Accord Sport 10AT)

Ok so, no, I did not get a new car or anything like that. But I do love to check out the local lots on Sunday evenings because they all close early and I can usually find a few new cars that they forgot to lock up for the night, leaving me time to sit in and evaluate vehicles without a salesman breathing down my neck. Today I decided to try the Honda dealer so I could get a close up look at the new Accords and Civics and they just happened to have a beautiful white Accord Sport sitting right in front of the building. I assumed it would be (like most I've seen so far) the crappy 1.5T with the CVT and that would of course be locked up. But no! Not only was it the 2.0T with the 10-speed auto (the one I'm actually considering buying next year), but it was unlocked! Score!!!

So I helped myself into the drivers seat thinking this would be a nice opportunity to at least evaluate comfort, ergonomics, interior design, etc, when I notice the car bonging at me and the Honda logo graphic splashing across the gauge cluster (along with the headlights coming on, which is not something I thought Hondas did). The Start/Stop button lit up red as well and I began to wonder.... Sure enough, I pressed the button and the car fired up!!! Immediately I placed my hand into the cupholder (it was dark) and sure enough found the friggin key sitting in there!!! I stared at it, completely dumbfounded as a smile spread across my face. Definitely one of those rare treats indeed (which anybody who has a habit of visiting dealerships outside of normal business hours can attest to).

So after I got over my shock of the car actually starting right up I began to play around with all the features and settings. There was literally nothing at all stopping me from simply driving off the lot and doing my own impromptu test drive (of course I didn't even contemplate such a thing but it was an interesting sensation to know I could simply drive away if I wanted to). I did, however, rev up the 2.0T quite a bit once it was warmed up and noted the throttle response and quickness to rev. Sadly I was a bit disappointed as it really felt (and sounded) pretty weak. Naturally simply revving an engine while in Park is no indication of actual performance, but I guess I was expecting a little more Oooomph than that of a sewing machine, both in feel and sound (of which there was very little).

I also began playing around with all the various settings, switches, features, etc in earnest and came away pretty impressed with what I saw. The nav screen's touch response was extremely snappy, with swipes and animations every bit as fast and fluid as that of a tablet. I also really liked the gauge cluster LCD and its various menus. The Tachometer setting did a great job of simulating a real gauge and didn't look at all like simple graphics until I really scrutinized it closely. Back to the nav screen, I loved how simply everything was laid out, with on-screen buttons for all the menus and options while retaining actual hard buttons (and KNOBS) for the most important menus; a really great combo IMO. I shifted the car into reverse to check out the rearview camera's quality and it was good and of sufficient resolution (a running theme of my initial impression was that the interior definitely did NOT have any "cheapness" or "cost-cutting" feel about it, with solid material quality, a plethora of features despite being the typically economical Sport trim, etc). I played around with the Audio system as well and even paired up my Galaxy Note 8 to ensure ease of use with my phone and everything worked flawlessly and was intuitive. Unfortunately, the XM Radio was not activated or the antenna was not getting a signal so I was unable to try that out. I did get a brief impression of the sound quality coming from the Sport trim's sound system using both the BT Audio streaming from my phone and the FM Radio and, well, I'll get to that in a sec. I also tried out the HVAC system and it worked very well. I love that they are NOT sequestered to the screen and have their own physical buttons and dedicated displays for Temp etc. The heated seats (no cooled option) also worked very well and were quick to warm my butt! Seating was very firm, but definitely comfortable and roomy. I'm 6'3" and had no issue setting everything up with good sight lines to the cluster and room for my legs (the car has manual tilt/telescoping steering wheel with nice-feeling brushed aluminum-looking plastic shift paddles; unfortunately wheel-rather-than-column-mounted). There was a sunroof as well which is nice, and overall the car (despite being the Sport model) still has some of high-end features such as auto-cruise control.

So there were a few dislikes I had regarding the car during this brief demo. First, getting back to that sound system, I was definitely unimpressed with sound quality overall. There were a few sound settings available which was nice (a simple treble/bass EQ along with a balance and fader), but the overall sound was tinny and a bit muddy in my admittedly limited testing. Unfortunately my old Genesis 3.8 sedan's sound system positively blows the Accord Sport's one out of the water in sound quality. To be fair though, my car has the optional upgraded Lexicon system in it which is still about the best sounding stock system I've ever heard in a vehicle (it has 700W and 17-speakers after all), so that may be making my impressions of the Accord's system a bit worse than it is. Second, I can't believe that to this day Honda STILL has that annoying "Beep" sound every time you do basically anything with the Infotainment. Press a button, "Beep!", swipe the screen, "Beep!", etc. Definitely kills the luxury car vibe that they otherwise did a nice job of implementing with the interior (perhaps the beeping is a setting that can be turned off but I didn't have time to dig deep into the options). Third, the steering is pretty light-feeling and numb, at least while sitting in Park (obviously not really a serious offense since its not indicative of how it feels while actually moving), and as I mentioned above the engine "feels" rather gutless and sterile while revving it up in Park. You really feel isolated entirely from the drive-train which is a positive from a N/V/H standpoint, but hopefully there is more feel in them once underway. Lastly, a few nitpicks: there's no LED lighting inside (obvious and understandable cost-cutting), I didn't have enough time to dive into the menu options but if you choose any menus in the gauge cluster you lose your Tachometer (there's a middle section of the display that I couldn't figure out how to utilize but am sure can be done), the interior is pretty dour in all-black but has a nice Euro-feel (dare I say BMW-esque) feel to the design, and I'd prefer full-leather seating as opposed to the cloth inserts in the center of the seats.

Overall I came away very impressed with the new Accord Sport and was chuffed to be able to fully try it out in a no-pressure, individualized atmosphere. I can't believe they actually left the dang key in the car but I am sure glad they did! Once I was done I did briefly consider removing the key and locking it up but there was no where to put it and i ended up just leaving it as I found it. Hopefully no assholes run off with the car over the night, and I do hope nobody gets in serious trouble for it at the dealership. Anyway, just thought I'd share. Cheers!

Old 11-18-2018, 08:42 PM
Null and proud of it

Received 898 Likes on 788 Posts
Cool post!!! I do the same thing...

I have opened the doors on various Acuras and Hondas, usually a 4 gen TL or Accord Touring of the 2013 era, and had the lights cone on... Hated that, felt like someone was gonna see me sitting in cars late at night, lol...

Anyway, they must have been in a rush to leave the key inside, damn...

The places I went to always usually had a gate, or rail around the dealer... Lots of dealers leave cars unlocked... For me, it was like playing at an auto auction, which I've never been to, but it was like being in one of Cristian's Intechdude300 videos on Youtube from a few years ago... Yes, most american cars are $hitboxes!!!

Also, my 2007 2.3 turbo RDX is very quiet in park, but has thrusty torque in gear!!!

When you go to drive one, I'm sure it'll be better!!!

Atleast it's eager to rev!!!

It's not throaty like a V6, but it's got more mid-range TQ!!! Not off the line, but from about 10 mph, up through the higher revs!!!

You'll like it if you can get used to it!!! Just my !!!
The following users liked this post:
majin ssj eric (11-18-2018)
Old 11-18-2018, 08:58 PM
Punk Rocker

Yeah, Carmax is the only other place I've managed to find cars I could turn on and play with (since some of them have the keybox inside and they don't remember that the car will still start up even though the key is locked in the box). I've managed to start up and play around with an Optima SXL, a new Mustang GT, and a MB AMG GT, all of which were at a Carmax (though it is relatively rare to find these gems). This Honda dealership had no barriers so I could easily have just pulled out of the lot and took it for a spin, but of course that would've been a terrible thing to do. Still, it was definitely a fun experience, I got to play around with all the things I've been curious about on the car, and now have a much better idea of what its like to use. I should have taken a video of it (I don't believe I did anything wrong since they did leave the key in the car after all)!
Old 11-18-2018, 09:33 PM
Null and proud of it

Originally Posted by majin ssj eric
Yeah, Carmax is the only other place I've managed to find cars I could turn on and play with (since some of them have the keybox inside and they don't remember that the car will still start up even though the key is locked in the box). I've managed to start up and play around with an Optima SXL, a new Mustang GT, and a MB AMG GT, all of which were at a Carmax (though it is relatively rare to find these gems). This Honda dealership had no barriers so I could easily have just pulled out of the lot and took it for a spin, but of course that would've been a terrible thing to do. Still, it was definitely a fun experience, I got to play around with all the things I've been curious about on the car, and now have a much better idea of what its like to use. I should have taken a video of it (I don't believe I did anything wrong since they did leave the key in the car after all)!

Hey.... They may be earning your business without knowing it!!!

Only CarMax I've been to was in Jackson, it's got gates... And the only way in is through the lobby...

Cars stay locked with key boxes on outside of each car...
They had a vandalism problem previously...

I actually think CarMax is a little overpriced, IMO...
Old 11-19-2018, 05:57 AM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,157 Likes on 682 Posts
Interesting, I'm curious what they think of people doing this. Obviously, you didn't want to steal the car but I have to assume you were trespassing and then starting up a car would look pretty bad if the Police happened to be cruising by. If you were respectful and nice I would assume you're good but still, MM you may want to be careful doing this.
nist7 (11-19-2018)
Old 11-19-2018, 01:24 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,094 Likes on 749 Posts
Wow, never heard of people doing this. Trespassing on private property to check out cars doesn't seem like the greatest idea. Though the dealers also seem horribly managed with very poor security. If a roaming rent a cop/private security were to spot you doing this, it could make for an uncomfortable situation.
Old 11-19-2018, 01:51 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,662 Likes on 2,495 Posts
People drive around dealers after hours all the time. Not sure why it would be trespassing to do so unless they gate it up at night and he went around them. Yes, starting the car up is questionable if you find the key in it but he didn't do it with malicious intent or anything.
majin ssj eric (11-21-2018)
Old 11-19-2018, 03:05 PM
Null and proud of it

In New Orleans, it's common practice...

There is a car lot down the street from where I lived, and every night, you would see several people looking around...

In fact, I've really never test driven a car without taking a walkaround the night before...
majin ssj eric (11-21-2018)
Old 11-19-2018, 03:21 PM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,832 Likes on 3,853 Posts
Trespassing requires them to ask you to leave unless there's a sign stating as such ahead of time. If they do and you leave then no big deal. If you fight then it's a problem. Not something I'd do in any case but whatever.

Last edited by SamDoe1; 11-19-2018 at 03:24 PM.
Old 11-19-2018, 05:00 PM
Null and proud of it

If the place has iron fences I'll just look through... But, if it's an open lot, it's just a matter of walking through a parking lot... Not a big deal where I am... This is how I've learned so much about cars...
Old 11-19-2018, 11:35 PM
Punk Rocker

Interesting. It had never even occurred to me that "window shopping" at a dealership outside of business hours might be construed as trespassing? I've made trips to hundreds of car lots over the years during night hours specifically because I don't want to be hassled by salesmen when I simply want to check out prospective vehicles. In fact, I actually consider it to be more respectful to them to do so since I hate wasting their time and effort when I know full well I have no intention of buying anything at the time.

Still, I guess I'll just say that I remain rather unconcerned about this practice as (just like Midnight Mystery said) I see plenty of other browsers walking through the lots of closed dealerships (and honestly, its not my fault that they not only failed to lock up their vehicles but also managed to leave the actual key inside the car); honestly I think almost all of them actually welcome the traffic because even if just one of those browsers comes back the next day to actually buy a car they liked it would totally be worth it to them. Perhaps actually starting up the car was a little bit of a grey area in terms of legality, but I think that had I actually been confronted by the police or some security personnel it would still have been highly unlikely that I actually got into any trouble over it. I would simply have explained the situation and I'm sure would've gotten off with nothing more than a warning not to do so again.

Last edited by majin ssj eric; 11-19-2018 at 11:37 PM.
Old 11-20-2018, 03:37 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,651 Likes on 1,116 Posts
Wow.

How is this not trespassing? You're saying I can walk into a house, test out the toaster, see if it works, and when the owner comes along, asks me to leave, that it wouldn't be trespassing? You'd be lucky if you didn't get shot.

I would think that would be grounds for getting arrested.
The following 2 users liked this post by gatrhumpy:
Aman (05-20-2019), nist7 (11-20-2018)
Old 11-20-2018, 03:45 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
I think window shopping is OK... as in... WINDOW Shopping. There is nothing wrong with checking out the car around the lot with your eyes.
The moment you opened the door and test things out... that is no longer window shopping.

I would have stepped away from the car the moment i noticed the door is unlocked... let alone starting the car with the key.
Old 11-20-2018, 04:12 PM
Safety Car

I'll say that I've seen people walking dealer lots after hours checking out cars many times. So it does seem like an accepted practice, even though legally it's in a grey area. (It[s not worth the hassle to prosecute or charge anyone...as the intent is likely non-malicious and may draw customers, as OP already stated) Most dealers will park large vehicles at the main entrance (if they don't have a gate) blocking entry which to me is a sign that they do not welcome people going into their lot.

I know this occurs alot and it's not criminal trespass, so not the end of the world. Though it's still a risk you're taking.

I would consider checking out cars from a public side walk a "window shopping" but going into the lot to me is crossing the line since you're entering private property without the owner's permission, which is the basic definition of trespass.

But yeah checking for unlocked car doors and going inside and actually starting the car....yeah man......that's a no go from me.
Old 11-20-2018, 04:59 PM
Ex-OEM King

It's criminal trespassing if:
1.) There's a sign that says "no trespassing" and you go anyway
2.) There's no sign but they ask you to leave and you don't
3.) There is a sign, you go anyway, they ask you to leave, you don't

My guess is #1 isn't likely. #2 would happen if there was a rent a cop there. Either way, I wouldn't do it at all but that's just me.
Old 11-20-2018, 05:32 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

So if I walk into a house uninvited, the owners don't ask me to keave, I'm clear? Sounds like a bunch of bullshit. Not trying to be an ass, but still.
Old 11-20-2018, 06:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,584 Likes on 6,630 Posts
IANAL, but I don't think private property requires a sign to denote that tresspassing is illegal..

https://bixonlaw.com/georgia-trespassing-101/

C.A person commits the offense of criminal trespass when he or she knowingly and without authority enters upon the land or premises of another person or into any part of any vehicle, railroad car, aircraft, or watercraft of another person for an unlawful purpose.
  1. The trespasser must have unlawful purpose when he enters the premise or vehicle.
  2. Entry to someone else’s premise or property is permitted – negating trespass – when public or private necessity demands it. Examples are entry to premises or vehicles of another for the purpose of saving someone’s life and/or properties. Saving someone from house on fire is a common example. Entry to someone else’s property in order to escape from lawless elements (criminals indiscriminately attacking everyone they see on the road) or to seek shelter from imminent danger (hurricanes or tornadoes) cannot also be considered unlawful.
Maybe there was a hurricane in GA we didn't know about ...

Sounds like trespassing, cut and dry though..
Old 11-20-2018, 06:20 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
Originally Posted by gatrhumpy
So if I walk into a house uninvited, the owners don't ask me to keave, I'm clear? Sounds like a bunch of bullshit. Not trying to be an ass, but still.
I think if that happens, you probably are clear I mean if you entered a house univted and the owners did not care to ask you to leave.. then i guess you can stay
Old 11-20-2018, 11:21 PM
Punk Rocker

I'll refrain from going any deeper into this with the legal discussion here. This is something I've done for years and years and if I ever do get into any trouble over it I guess you guys can say you were right (though I really think this is widely considered a normal practice and is not an issue at all; well my actually starting the car up may not be what they consider "reasonable" but I also don't think they ever intended for the key to be left in the actual vehicle overnight).

I will say however that at Carmax specifically they do leave all of their cars unlocked and the lot is completely lit up just like during normal business hours so I really do think that they are welcoming of customers to drop by their lots and look around when they are closed (and I have honestly NEVER been to a Carmax after hours and NOT seen multiple other shoppers doing the same thing I am), Perhaps the fact that they all have closed gates to their lots making it nearly impossible for any cars to be stolen is a factor for them specifically? I dunno but I just find it entirely laughable to even entertain the notion that Carmax would ever actually consider prosecuting a prospective buyer for trespassing on their lot.

I think I'll actually just ask the manager of the next Carmax directly what their policy is regarding off hours shopping the next time I go to one while they are open and just see what they say. I'll post the answer in this thread for any of those who are interested.
Old 11-20-2018, 11:36 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
1. A common sense tells me that I shouldn't do that.
2. I did test drive Accord 2.0T Sport 6MT and I was very impressed about it. The car moves just right, has so much standard features and the rear seat is insanely big.
Old 11-21-2018, 12:59 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
Originally Posted by thoiboi
IANAL, but I don't think private property requires a sign to denote that tresspassing is illegal..

Your quote mentioned "unlawful purpose" twice. So no it really isn't trespassing nor is it cut and dry.

However, I personally wouldn't in a million years try to get into or let alone start a car at a dealer lot during after hours (or to start it during open hours). The issue of unlawful intent or purpose comes up again because they can call the cops thinking you intend to steal the car...you would be standing on thin ice because how can you defend yourself and (if you had a good lawyer) they would have no ability to charge you because they wouldn't be able to prove your intentions.....so to avoid all the headache I'd be really careful with doing something like that.

Last edited by RDX10; 11-21-2018 at 01:01 AM.
Old 11-21-2018, 03:01 AM
Safety Car

I'll refrain from going any deeper into this with the legal discussion here. This is something I've done for years and years and if I ever do get into any trouble over it I guess you guys can say you were right (though I really think this is widely considered a normal practice and is not an issue at all; well my actually starting the car up may not be what they consider "reasonable" but I also don't think they ever intended for the key to be left in the actual vehicle overnight).

I will say however that at Carmax specifically they do leave all of their cars unlocked and the lot is completely lit up just like during normal business hours so I really do think that they are welcoming of customers to drop by their lots and look around when they are closed (and I have honestly NEVER been to a Carmax after hours and NOT seen multiple other shoppers doing the same thing I am), Perhaps the fact that they all have closed gates to their lots making it nearly impossible for any cars to be stolen is a factor for them specifically? I dunno but I just find it entirely laughable to even entertain the notion that Carmax would ever actually consider prosecuting a prospective buyer for trespassing on their lot.

I think I'll actually just ask the manager of the next Carmax directly what their policy is regarding off hours shopping the next time I go to one while they are open and just see what they say. I'll post the answer in this thread for any of those who are interested.
Interesting. I'd be very interested to see what the manager has to say. If Carmax does have full bright lights with no closed off entrance after hours...then indeed it seems like a welcome sign for ppl to browse cars on their lot.
Old 11-21-2018, 01:02 PM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by gatrhumpy
Well yeah...if they didn't ask you to leave you are probably welcome to stay there lol.
Old 11-21-2018, 01:04 PM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by thoiboi

I'm not a lawyer either but I think the key words here are "for an unlawful purpose".
Old 11-21-2018, 03:42 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

What if they shoot me for being on their property or in their house without asking me to leave? Stand your ground?

Last edited by gatrhumpy; 11-21-2018 at 03:45 PM.
Old 05-18-2019, 08:33 PM
Punk Rocker

Just a quick revival of this thread...

So I was about a year early last year when I was looking around at new cars but the time is rapidly approaching for me to make a decision and go all-in on my next purchase. I will (finally) have my retirement loan fully paid off in July and that will allow me to get back into a car payment (its been nice not having one this last year but my Genny has 220k miles on her now so I must get something new). This time last year I was really hyped on the new 2018 Accord 2.0t Touring and now that its almost time to sign on the dotted line I haven't really come off of that choice. I would love to be able to get a Stinger GT2 but they are just way too much $$$. I have also had my eye on a 2017-2018 Camaro RS for a long time but I'm really getting cold feet about buying an American car now that its actually decision time. So it looks like its going to be a 2019 Accord Touring 2.0t in white with either ivory or black interior. I got a nice price on that exact car using TruCar (from this same dealership that I "trespassed" on last year, prompting this thread) of $33k + TTL which is nearly $4k off of the MSRP. I am also looking at slightly used models but they all seem to be right around that same $32-33k range that I can get a brand new one for so, yeah.

What do you guys think? Any of you come around on the new Accord yet? I know there's been a lot of controversy over the styling but I've really liked it since it came out and still do....
Old 05-18-2019, 08:52 PM
Null and proud of it

Sounds nice!

What's up with the Genny anyways?
Old 05-18-2019, 10:02 PM
Ex-OEM King

I like the new Accord a lot. It's a great car, nothing wrong with it at all. Only reason I didn't buy one is because I wanted something a little hotter than what it gave me. Other than that, it's what I'd be driving today, well the 2.0T Sport 6MT at least.
00TL-P3.2 (05-20-2019)
Old 05-19-2019, 12:13 AM
Punk Rocker

Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery
Sounds nice!

What's up with the Genny anyways?
The Genny is still trucking right along. 220k miles and the only issue I've had with it in 7+ years was the brake master cylinder recall many years ago and a faulty O2 sensor I replaced at about 110k miles. Still on original brake pads, spark plugs, belts, etc and she just keeps on going! I'm keeping the Genny (since I wouldn't get much for it anyway) as a second car and I'll start replacing all these parts over the rest of the year. Everything still works on the car except the exterior lock/unlock buttons on the doors; they both stopped working a couple years ago so I've had to use the key fob to open the doors like a pleb ever since. The keyless ignition still works fine though as well as the rear sunshade, the active headlights, the nav/infotainment system, and the 17-speaker Lexicon stereo (which is still about the best sounding stock system I've ever heard in a car).
Old 05-19-2019, 12:46 AM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
I've fully checked out the new Accord 2.0T Sport 6MT before when I was car shopping. Ended up with Jaguar XE S so obviously I didn't go for it.

But the Accord 2.0T and CTR were my options. The Accord looks amazing outside and inside. So many standard options, the back seat is insanely big. The driving position was great, the engine was very willing to rev up.

The pricing for the car is really good too. I only wanted the 6MT Sport version so not too sure about the Touring but that sounds like a decent amount of discount on the new one. Would highly recommend it.

The Stinger is amazing and on another level. More $$ for a reason.
Old 05-19-2019, 02:06 AM
Null and proud of it

The Genny is still trucking right along. 220k miles and the only issue I've had with it in 7+ years was the brake master cylinder recall many years ago and a faulty O2 sensor I replaced at about 110k miles. Still on original brake pads, spark plugs, belts, etc and she just keeps on going! I'm keeping the Genny (since I wouldn't get much for it anyway) as a second car and I'll start replacing all these parts over the rest of the year. Everything still works on the car except the exterior lock/unlock buttons on the doors; they both stopped working a couple years ago so I've had to use the key fob to open the doors like a pleb ever since. The keyless ignition still works fine though as well as the rear sunshade, the active headlights, the nav/infotainment system, and the 17-speaker Lexicon stereo (which is still about the best sounding stock system I've ever heard in a car).

Glad to see you keepimg the Genny! They're truly special cars!
Old 05-19-2019, 08:46 AM
Safety Car

Received 856 Likes on 704 Posts
Have you had a chance to ask the GM at Carmax about their trespassing policy? :P
Old 05-19-2019, 11:33 PM
Null and proud of it

Originally Posted by Saving4aTL
Have you had a chance to ask the GM at Carmax about their trespassing policy? :P
Nah... Carmax is usually fenced off but the Chevy dealer near where I used to live didnt care and left everything unlocked... They'd just go and check them after...

This is where we have gotten 3 vehicles used over the past several years including the RDX which I inspected the exterior if personally a few nights before I test drove it!
Old 05-20-2019, 08:20 AM

Received 5,294 Likes on 3,628 Posts
I had the Accord 2.0T on my shortlist before picking up the Merc. The Stinger 2.0T was there as well, along with the GTI.
I know you said the GT2, but if you're ok with the 2.0T Accord, maybe give the Stinger Premium a shot & see if it ticks the boxes for you; similar HP to the Accord, correct driven wheels (or AWD), definitely more fun to drive IMO, but a bit less interior space?