Interesting Trip to the Gas Station

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 12:58 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting Trip to the Gas Station

Last night my girlfriend asked me to go to the gas station with her. I typically go to Sunoco since they are the only place with 91 octane in my area, but she goes to Cumberland Farms. Now I know why she asked me to go with her.

The story at first may be a bit boring but I have to set the stage for this situation. I promise by the end there will be a TL crashing into a pole and someone smoking at the pump....

As we're pulling into Cumby's it's pretty obvious that the station is a bit crowded. My girlfriend's Chevy Aveo has the tank on the right, and all the pumps where you could pull up towards the left are all full, so we get in line behind an old Covette with an 'antique' license plate. It turns out this guy is paying in cash and is inside the station paying. As we wait, two kids get out of a car to our left. The boy is wearing this hot pink bandana and the girl is wearing a matching hot pink baseball cap. Now they're roughly 8-10 years old so I'm thinking brother and sister. Well on their way into the station the two start making out! I mean I guess there's nothing wrong with that but they must have been in front of one of their parents, pretty weird...

The man pumping gas in front of the Corvette starts pouring gasoline all over the ground. And I don't mean a few drops. I thought these pumps were supposed to automatically shut off, but not this one. Meanwhile in the car adjacent to him, a kid gets out and lets their golden retriever out of the car and they start running around the parking lot. The kid is totally barefoot and I'm thinking about all the interesting vehicle fluids this kid and dog are going to end up with on their feet.

The line inside is loooong so after the guy finally comes back and fills up his 'vette he of course has to go back inside for change. A 3-4 year old Maxima pulls up to a pump towards our left that has a giant "Out of Service" sign on it. He's right behind the car with barefoot kid/dog still running around all over the gas station. A bunch of high school/college freshman aged kids all get out and head into the station while the driver proceeds to figure out how to pump gas. Well, he stares at this pump for a good 30 seconds to a minute, gets back in the Maxima, puts it in reverse, and floors it. By now there is a car behind US in line and he nearly taps the rear end of their car while swinging his wheel way to the side, but luckily misses and pull up to a pump on our right side now.

By now the car in front of the Corvette has left, but there isn't enough room for us to pull around, so we're waiting for him to leave too. As the guy with the Corvette gets back into his car, a TL pulls up in front of him wanting to pull into the now vacant pump. He somehow has the observation powers to notice this Corvette won't be able to get out if he stays there, so he backs up just enough to let him out. My girlfriend and I look at the clock and note we've now been sitting here over 10 minutes. She starts bitching about "He can wait in line like everyone else" and tailgates the Corvette as he pulls up and we get the pump the TL tried to grab. Well the older gentleman in the TL is obviously pissed about this so he gives us a look and pulls around, and coincidentally decides to try to back into the spot to our right.

Well next to the pump there is a concrete island and a big yellow pole and the guy in the TL isn't too good and backing up so he hits the gas pretty hard and pops his car right up onto the island and crashes into the pole. I can't even believe my eyes that this guy did this to his poor car. Then he goes forward (kerplunk!) back down onto the ground and I can see a dent in his rear end as well as some of the yellow paint rubbed off onto his rear end.

Well now I'm thinking I might have to get out of the car to back up my girlfriend in case this guy starts a fight because now he just ruined his car. But looking at her and how POd she was about this whole situation I know she can handle herself and decide it'll be more fun to watch the show. By some stroke of luck the guy doesn't say a word, he just pumps his gas in an embarassed silence.

Just as I'm thinking this nightmare has come to an end, I hear a woman screaming to my left. Sure enough, barefoot child/dog lady is washing her windshield and screaming at the people behind her. Apparently someone pulled into the out of service pump and there is a line of two cars behind them so they can't get out, forwards or backwards. She is babbling something about "I have a right to wash my windows. You can wait just like everyone else, maybe you shouldn't have pulled into an out of service pump!" She is swearing but honestly her voice trailed off in my head and I didn't pay attention as I notice her passenger has the window open and her feet out the window and is smoking a cigarette!

All that is going through my mind is if I should just get out of the car and run.. I mean smoking a cigarette at a gas station? She just looks at me and laughs as she gets out of the car and starts helping wash the windows, cigarette in hand! I am freaking out and seriously considering making a run for it when my girlfriend gets back in the car and just says "We need to get the h--- out of here!"

I am calling this experience the Wal-Mart of gas stations and I am so glad I go to Sunoco! Sorry it was so long but some of you guys I'm sure appreciate this story. BTW for all Mass. residents here, this was the Cumby's on Rt. 6 in Darmouth at the intersection of Slocum Rd.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:12 PM
an asshole from florida

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
wow haha all that happened in one night.. full moon or something.
not even peopel here in miami have that much trouble pumpin gas
although when my parents had their bronco, we were waiting for a dude to pull out of a parking spot at a home depot. when he finally pulls out, some little ass tercel or soemthing darts into the parking spot. needless to say my dad almost ran the damn car over got out of his car and threatened to put the guy out of his misery. the guy frantically got back in his car and left. i was chuckling the whole time
Old 08-13-2007, 01:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 72 Likes on 38 Posts
Cliff notes?
Old 08-13-2007, 01:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
wow Darwin pwns...
Old 08-13-2007, 01:31 PM
Instructor

haha Cliff notes. Basically a TL crashed into the gas station, and a woman was smoking at the gas station while I contemplated making a run for it. Then we drove away (fast!)
Old 08-13-2007, 01:40 PM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
Okay.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:52 PM
That was uncalled for...

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts
The Wal-Mart of gas stations

Sounds about right...
Old 08-13-2007, 05:01 PM
Without a garage

Originally Posted by S A CHO
The Wal-Mart of gas stations

Sounds about right...
haha, sounds about right!

that my friends is why I only go to Walmart a few times a year to buy oil for my car. you almost end up getting into a fight just parking your car.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:10 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
Originally Posted by alex2364
Cliff notes?

The OP is on happy sauce.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Thankfully, my gas fill-ups have never been as "entertaining" as your story, lol....
Old 08-13-2007, 05:20 PM
checkmate...

I pulled up to a Shell and saw someone pumping, smoking, AND talking on their cellphone all at the same time. Tis a shame Darwin doesn't always work as expected...
Old 08-13-2007, 07:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
This is right around the corner from Stang, right ?? Haven't been up that way in awhile, but sounds like some of the New Bedford folks have started to make there way down there to make things interesting...

Oh, I can talk about New Bedford folk, 'cause I grew up in Fall River

I've seen more then my share of crazy shit before at some gas stations...
Old 08-13-2007, 08:07 PM
Uses turn signals in my

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think we should get a m$ paint diagram for this story.

A lot of people smoke right at the gas pump over here, its crazy! I'm like wtf.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:01 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
pics of the kids making out?

:ibchrishansen:
Old 08-13-2007, 10:08 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I would have hightailed it out of there a lot sooner than you and your girlfriend did...
Old 08-14-2007, 06:55 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by GreenMonster
This is right around the corner from Stang, right ?? Haven't been up that way in awhile, but sounds like some of the New Bedford folks have started to make there way down there to make things interesting...

Oh, I can talk about New Bedford folk, 'cause I grew up in Fall River

I've seen more then my share of crazy shit before at some gas stations...
Yes, right across from Stang. You're the first person from my area that I've seen on here, probably because I mostly hang out in the TSX area. I stop by Swansea and Somerset a lot though, maybe you'll see me driving around sometime.

Originally Posted by TCM 01 CL-S
I think we should get a m$ paint diagram for this story.
I know you're joking but wouldn't it be even funnier if I made some? From some of the comments I guess this was a 'you had to be there' moment so sorry if I took 3 minutes away from your life that you will never get back...
Old 08-14-2007, 08:41 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
We've got a couple of people in the area. Some TL guys from Fall River/Somerset.... I'm not sure if there are many TSX members in the SE MA area...

Check out the Meet section from time to time... We do have a few meets per year. We had one last year at Colt State Park in Bristol RI. There's a caravan out to the Ron Jon Meet in NY this sunday...

If you do a search for Mass* in the meet section (or do a search for threads I've posted in in the meet forum), you should see most of the prior MA meet threads....
Old 08-14-2007, 10:53 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
Thankfully, my gas fill-ups have never been as "entertaining" as your story, lol....
my only "scary" gas story i have is from when i was with my cousins in chicago. my cousin was filling up his tank when we heard gun shots. we looked up and there were three cars driving through the gas station across the street shooting at each other. my cousin jumped back in the car and said, time to go.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:55 PM
Uses turn signals in my

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TheDukeZip
Yes, right across from Stang. You're the first person from my area that I've seen on here, probably because I mostly hang out in the TSX area. I stop by Swansea and Somerset a lot though, maybe you'll see me driving around sometime.

I know you're joking but wouldn't it be even funnier if I made some? From some of the comments I guess this was a 'you had to be there' moment so sorry if I took 3 minutes away from your life that you will never get back...
Naw, I'm just more a visual learner and MS paint diagrams make the story easier to visualize.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:20 PM
Race Director

this should be made into a commercial skit of something.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:39 PM
Matt

Sounds like a bad trip or something. Where everything happens in slow mo and there are 10 things happening at once. And you don't know if its the smell of the gasoline or the sound of the curb hopping TL or the crazy kid and dog running around or the horny teens, but you know you want to just get your gas and GET THE HELL OUT OF THERE!
Old 08-14-2007, 05:29 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts
Coulda done without the first 2 paragraphs about the Corvette and the Maxima...
Old 08-15-2007, 04:55 AM
Glacier Frost Mica CL-S

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
it was fun reading it though
Old 08-15-2007, 09:48 AM
Confused Maxima Owner

That story reminded me of the time when I was w/ my friend and his dad and his dad was getting gas..... Had the car running, Pumps Gas, Lights a cig, and then the coup de gras, answers his cell phone, I stepp'd out of the car and walked away until he was done.
Old 08-15-2007, 02:38 PM
Safety Car

Received 487 Likes on 249 Posts
I think cell phones starting fires at gas pumps are an urban legend.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:20 PM
Confused Maxima Owner

Hrm, time to call in Mythbusters!