Intelligent Vehicles?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 10:58 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
Intelligent Vehicles?

Possibly related to the "Are Fun Cars Doomed" and "Idiot Drivers" Thread.

Not sure I'd be happy about a car that had certain systems that I couldn't turn off. Although I can see the benefit of Collision Warning/Avoidance and Blind Spot detection type things for sure.

In 2009, more than 30,000 Americans were killed in car crashes. Most of those accidents were avoidable — the result of driver error.

Now, the auto industry wants to cut down on traffic deaths by using vehicle-to-vehicle communications technology.

The technology enables cars in close proximity to one another to share information wirelessly. The premise behind it is that most crashes are avoidable if drivers have enough time to react.

http://www.npr.org/2011/01/31/133374...rs-to-back-off

Listen: http://www.npr.org/player/v2/mediaPl...09&m=133381198
Old 01-31-2011, 11:09 PM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
sometimes annoying not being able to turn off certain systems very easily, but sometimes they need to be difficult to disable though, considering that it is for safety (ie: airbags )
Old 02-01-2011, 07:50 AM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
I often have the mindset that the more electronics, computers, complicated systems, and 'features' --- the more things to breakdown. I definitely see the benefit of some 'features' but what's to say they can't cause major issue too. For example, what if the collision avoidance system goes wacko and your car suddenly slams on the brakes or swerves while you're on the highway without any danger in sight.... oops, that's a scary malfunction. Stuff like that.... I definitely enjoy a lot of features but there are many I could do without.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:37 AM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by Street Spirit
I often have the mindset that the more electronics, computers, complicated systems, and 'features' --- the more things to breakdown. I definitely see the benefit of some 'features' but what's to say they can't cause major issue too. For example, what if the collision avoidance system goes wacko and your car suddenly slams on the brakes or swerves while you're on the highway without any danger in sight.... oops, that's a scary malfunction. Stuff like that.... I definitely enjoy a lot of features but there are many I could do without.
yes and the more shit there is, the more there is to break (and electronic wise it can get $$$ REAL FAST)

and the other issue i see too, is what happens when the second and third owners get them, and can't afford to fix the system properly?; or the shade tree mechanics who try and fix the system and just butcher the system...
Old 02-01-2011, 10:39 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Driver education!!!!
Old 02-01-2011, 11:23 AM
Be a better driver

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
I'll add a few...

1) Tire pressure sensors - because people apparently can't check their own tire pressure and end up blowing a tire or losing control of their vehicle.
2) Self parking system - some drivers are so dumb that they literally do not know how to park their own car.
3) Auto cruise control - drivers can't consciously leave enough room between them and the car in front of them on their own, nor do they have the basic sensory ability to watch the car ahead of them and match its speed. This is not difficult, we've been doing it for decades.
4) Auto braking - duh?
5) Lane change warning - I don't even know what to say about this one.

And tech companies are developing devices that will read speed signs (or have zones programmed in) that regulate how fast you can go and where (GTR already has vaguely similar to this). The feds are trying to regulate everything, like the texting while driving law. Texting on your phone is no different than scrolling through songs on your ipod to pick one, or whatever else. Are we going to make a law for that too? It makes no sense. Or forcing people to wear a seatbelt. The only person you hurt by not wearing your seatbelt is yourself, no one should have the right to tell you to wear one. We have to leave some things to common sense and let people make decisions, for better or worse.

This may sound bad to some...but I'm to the point where I'm tired of everyone having to accommodate other's lack of common sense. And I'm sorry, but people need to learn from their mistakes. And they need to think on their own. Adding all these "driver aids" is doing nothing but dulling people's brain activity. You don't fix driver error by handicapping the driver.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:59 PM
I Skydive, Therefore I Am

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Commercial airliners have had a system called TCAS (Traffic Collision Avoidance System) that works in 3 dimensions. I've always thought that a system for automobiles would be a good idea. Sensors to actively locate other automobiles in close proximity, and another layer, simliar to TCAS, where each automobile will tell others directly around it exactly where it is. Add to that, auto braking and a lot of lives could be spared.

Sounds like big brother, but really the system will interact with those cars directly around it. So privacy claims and such are irrelevant. Cost would probably be the biggest block, but economy of scale would take care of that after a while.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:51 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by CanopyFlyer
Commercial airliners have had a system called TCAS (Traffic Collision Avoidance System) that works in 3 dimensions. I've always thought that a system for automobiles would be a good idea. Sensors to actively locate other automobiles in close proximity, and another layer, simliar to TCAS, where each automobile will tell others directly around it exactly where it is. Add to that, auto braking and a lot of lives could be spared.

Sounds like big brother, but really the system will interact with those cars directly around it. So privacy claims and such are irrelevant. Cost would probably be the biggest block, but economy of scale would take care of that after a while.

Well, that sounds a lot like what the article is talking about. At least the sensors/communication regarding the cars around you. And it sounds as if it is cost effective.

I don't see any need to have privacy issues. Nothing needs to be stored and nothing "personal" or "identifiable" needs to be transmitted/shared between cars. The privacy issues start when some busy-body wants to include car info (make, model, license plate, etc, etc.) and/or record actions/parameters in some black box or another. IMHO.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 439 Likes on 322 Posts
Originally Posted by RedRyder
I'll add a few...

1) Tire pressure sensors - because people apparently can't check their own tire pressure and end up blowing a tire or losing control of their vehicle.
2) Self parking system - some drivers are so dumb that they literally do not know how to park their own car.
3) Auto cruise control - drivers can't consciously leave enough room between them and the car in front of them on their own, nor do they have the basic sensory ability to watch the car ahead of them and match its speed. This is not difficult, we've been doing it for decades.
4) Auto braking - duh?

And tech companies are developing devices that will read speed signs (or have zones programmed in) that regulate how fast you can go and where (GTR already has vaguely similar to this). The feds are trying to regulate everything, like the texting while driving law. Texting on your phone is no different than scrolling through songs on your ipod to pick one, or whatever else. Are we going to make a law for that too? It makes no sense. Or forcing people to wear a seatbelt. The only person you hurt by not wearing your seatbelt is yourself, no one should have the right to tell you to wear one. We have to leave some things to common sense and let people make decisions, for better or worse.

This may sound bad to some...but I'm to the point where I'm tired of everyone having to accommodate other's lack of common sense. And I'm sorry, but people need to learn from their mistakes. And they need to think on their own. Adding all these "driver aids" is doing nothing but dulling people's brain activity. You don't fix driver error by handicapping the driver.
Lets say I had those above features.

1) Tire pressure monitor - doesnt take into effect till psi drops below 20-25 I believe. Wouldnt let that happen to my car anyway.
2) Self parking system - I know how to park, and its quicker to park by yourself. Even if you dont get it the first try.
3) Auto cruise control - I dont even use my regular cruise control because its really weird not having the foot on the gas or brake. I like to be in control.
4) Auto braking- why the hell do i need this. I know how to brake. And I pay attention.
5) Lane change warning - I'm not that lazy as to turn my head in the direction i'm changing lanes in.

Now that I covered, why I dont need these, and while automakers will eventually be putting these in as standards as the future comes, can I Have one without these

All those lights and beeps these things generate will just be annoying.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:58 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by speedemon90

1) Tire pressure monitor - doesnt take into effect till psi drops below 20-25 I believe. Wouldnt let that happen to my car anyway.
2) Self parking system - I know how to park, and its quicker to park by yourself. Even if you dont get it the first try.
3) Auto cruise control - I dont even use my regular cruise control because its really weird not having the foot on the gas or brake. I like to be in control.
4) Auto braking- why the hell do i need this. I know how to brake. And I pay attention.
5) Lane change warning - I'm not that lazy as to turn my head in the direction i'm changing lanes in.

I differ.

1.) Got it. Like it. Use it all the time; I have real time, though, not only when it drops below x psi.

2.) Same. Wouldn't use it. I can park. Thanks.

3.) Might use it. I use Cruise a lot. I've got a lead foot and have had enough tickets. Besides ticket costs are out of control.

4.) No thanks.

5.) No thanks. I prefer to pay attention to what's going on around me.

BUT, these things are not what the Intelligent Car article are about. At least not as isolated items. It's about integrating some of these technologies while wirelessly communicating with other cars near you so that, as a group, you're a "network".

IOW - you car will know that the car two cars ahead has his turn signal on and is slowing even if you can't see it happening due to the cars in front of you.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:15 PM
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

This may sound bad to some...but I'm to the point where I'm tired of everyone having to accommodate other's lack of common sense. And I'm sorry, but people need to learn from their mistakes. .

You're right, this does sound terrible..... some (arguably most) These technologies are there to protect the innocent, not the idiot screwing things up.

Because "people learning from their own mistakes" could cause the un-intentional suffering and death of one 3year old girl. (And that cost is FAR to high even for someone to "learn their lesson".)
Old 02-01-2011, 10:55 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
Well, that sounds a lot like what the article is talking about. At least the sensors/communication regarding the cars around you. And it sounds as if it is cost effective.

I don't see any need to have privacy issues. Nothing needs to be stored and nothing "personal" or "identifiable" needs to be transmitted/shared between cars. The privacy issues start when some busy-body wants to include car info (make, model, license plate, etc, etc.) and/or record actions/parameters in some black box or another. IMHO.
cars already do that in accidents FYI (especially GM's)

and iirc police are not actually allowed to use the info from it in an accident investigation, without consent or a search warrant (it be like them searching through your personal file cabinet at home, it's your info to keep private)
Old 02-01-2011, 10:57 PM
B A N N E D

Now that I covered, why I dont need these, and while automakers will eventually be putting these in as standards as the future comes, can I Have one without these

All those lights and beeps these things generate will just be annoying.
1. actually iirc it's actually 10-15% below the rated tire pressure on the tire placard on the vehicle
Old 02-01-2011, 10:59 PM
B A N N E D

I differ.

1.) Got it. Like it. Use it all the time; I have real time, though, not only when it drops below x psi.

3.) Might use it. I use Cruise a lot. I've got a lead foot and have had enough tickets. Besides ticket costs are out of control.

4.) No thanks.

BUT, these things are not what the Intelligent Car article are about. At least not as isolated items. It's about integrating some of these technologies while wirelessly communicating with other cars near you so that, as a group, you're a "network".

IOW - you car will know that the car two cars ahead has his turn signal on and is slowing even if you can't see it happening due to the cars in front of you.
and what happens if he is one of those idiots that like to drive with his turn signal on (and happens to be a bit brake happy at times too)?
Old 02-01-2011, 11:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 439 Likes on 322 Posts
I differ.

4.) No thanks.

Wow your car actively tells you the psi in your tires? Thats pretty awesome. What car is this?
Old 02-01-2011, 11:48 PM
B A N N E D

Wow your car actively tells you the psi in your tires? Thats pretty awesome. What car is this?
alot of higher end cars will actually do that, especially if they got some sort of multi-type of display in the dash
Old 02-01-2011, 11:57 PM
AZ Community Team

'07 TL-S. Helps me keep an eye on pressures without breaking out the pressure gauge. 3 out of 4 are spot on, the 4th is off by about one-half psi. It's got a separate dummy light or message if the pressure in any tire drops below 27 or 28 psi.

The "network"/communication thing between cars sounds kind of neat. Probably lots of applications. What I don't like is the car taking action independently and/or not being able to turn off certain systems. Traction Control, just as an example, I don't mind having it; I don't mind it kicking in during normal day-to-day driving. It seems to do what it's supposed to do. BUT, I want to be able to turn it off when I determine it's appropriate to do so.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:03 AM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by friesm2000
alot of higher end cars will actually do that, especially if they got some sort of multi-type of display in the dash
FYI, the 4G TL has an active psi display in its MID. IMHO, it's very useful and accurate; it's nice being able to see the pressure of all 4 tires at once, esp when it's 10 degrees and snowing outside.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:05 AM
Be a better driver

Ah, common sense and self empowerment in action. Thank you.

I think this feature is more geared for people falling asleep at the wheel, but still.

Originally Posted by Goosew
You're right, this does sound terrible..... some (arguably most) These technologies are there to protect the innocent, not the idiot screwing things up.
Originally Posted by Goosew
Because "people learning from their own mistakes" could cause the un-intentional suffering and death of one 3year old girl. (And that cost is FAR to high even for someone to "learn their lesson".)

I agree with you. Just such a shame car tech has to be taken to this level.

Last edited by RedRyder; 02-02-2011 at 11:15 AM.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:17 PM
B A N N E D

'07 TL-S. Helps me keep an eye on pressures without breaking out the pressure gauge. 3 out of 4 are spot on, the 4th is off by about one-half psi. It's got a separate dummy light or message if the pressure in any tire drops below 27 or 28 psi.

The "network"/communication thing between cars sounds kind of neat. Probably lots of applications. What I don't like is the car taking action independently and/or not being able to turn off certain systems. Traction Control, just as an example, I don't mind having it; I don't mind it kicking in during normal day-to-day driving. It seems to do what it's supposed to do. BUT, I want to be able to turn it off when I determine it's appropriate to do so.
alot of mercedes benz, have it that way that you can't turn it off EASILY; you can if you go through multiple menus on the dash display get it too (and it is mainly for the chassis dynos, during emissions testing and such mainly; so both axles do not have to be spun)
Old 02-02-2011, 02:09 PM
Missing my

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
I agree with OP that this is related to the "are fun cars doomed" thread! It stands to reason that we can eventually expect governors on our cars that are specific to speed limits. Sound crazy? Did any of you think we would all have GPS tracking on each of us 15 years ago? I know I lean toward paranoia, but we keep getting sold these new ways of being controlled in the name of safety and convenience.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Originally Posted by friesm2000
alot of mercedes benz, have it that way that you can't turn it off EASILY; you can if you go through multiple menus on the dash display get it too (and it is mainly for the chassis dynos, during emissions testing and such mainly; so both axles do not have to be spun)
You vill use dee traction control or you vill be shot!

Signed,

Obergruppenautofuhrer, Mercedes Benz auf Deutschland
Old 02-02-2011, 08:09 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL

Signed,

Old 02-02-2011, 10:49 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL

Signed,

and i would put a picture of Hitler, but idk if that would be "politically correct" though
Old 02-03-2011, 02:27 AM
Ultra Negro

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
I'll add a few...

4) Auto braking - duh?

No the (j-spec) GT-R has a speed limiter which regulates speed to 115 mph, until you arrive at a track verified by the GPS and turn everything in to r mode, then you could unleash the cars full potential, ONLY THE JDM VERSION of the car.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:14 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,231 Likes on 2,613 Posts
The MP3 CD, Aux input and TPM are the three features that 2007 TL's had that I wish my 2005 had.

Old 02-03-2011, 03:33 PM
Be a better driver

Originally Posted by OperationDarkie
No the (j-spec) GT-R has a speed limiter which regulates speed to 115 mph, until you arrive at a track verified by the GPS and turn everything in to r mode, then you could unleash the cars full potential, ONLY THE JDM VERSION of the car.
Right. The concept has been explored is what I'm saying.