AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   Car Talk (https://acurazine.com/forums/car-talk-5/)
-   -   Insurance Question (https://acurazine.com/forums/car-talk-5/insurance-question-759936/)

Whiskers 01-16-2010 04:35 PM

Insurance Question

My wife and I have continuously driven into our house (our garage is at a bad angle). We probably have about 2K worth of damage each on our cars in various locations of the cars (mostly quarter panels). Will our insurance cover the repairs, or should we just let it be?

LuvMyTSX 01-16-2010 04:47 PM

I wouldn't get insurance involved.

Whiskers 01-16-2010 05:03 PM

If I don't, then Im not getting it fixed...

gatrhumpy 01-16-2010 05:05 PM

Well, from the insurance company's perspective, it was your wife's and your fault that you damaged your cars, hence they mostly likely would not cover that. It was not an accident, so no claim will be made. Even if you asked, I doubt they would cover it. I would pay for the repairs out of pocket. :twocents:

Whiskers 01-16-2010 05:20 PM

It was obviously our fault.

Will Y. 01-16-2010 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by gatrhumpy (Post 11654489)
Well, from the insurance company's perspective, it was your wife's and your fault that you damaged your cars, hence they mostly likely would not cover that. It was not an accident, so no claim will be made.

:what: :shakehead :no:

Striking the wall accidentally is a result of negligence which will be covered by insurance, unless Whiskers and wife are intentionally driving their cars into the wall to damage the cars or house. Fault is irrelevant to coverage.

However, Whiskers should pick the most recent date(s) when the cars hit the wall if he makes a claim-- most policies have a reporting requirement (often 30 days from the incident date) to get coverage.
If Whiskers & spouse wait for more than the XX days under the policy to report an incident, the insurer can deny the claim.

teranfon 01-16-2010 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Whiskers (Post 11654436)
My wife and I have continuously driven into our house (our garage is at a bad angle). We probably have about 2K worth of damage each on our cars in various locations of the cars (mostly quarter panels). Will our insurance cover the repairs, or should we just let it be?

:rofl:

I'm sorry Whiskers, I just find this funny. What do you mean continuously?

Is there no way you can modify your garage? Or parking?

Terry

LuvMyTSX 01-16-2010 06:44 PM

Get the cars fixed, then put some padding on the walls :tongue:

Whiskers 01-16-2010 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Will Y. (Post 11654656)
:what: :shakehead :no:

Striking the wall accidentally is a result of negligence which will be covered by insurance, unless Whiskers and wife are intentionally driving their cars into the wall to damage the cars or house. Fault is irrelevant to coverage.

However, Whiskers should pick the most recent date(s) when the cars hit the wall if he makes a claim-- most policies have a reporting requirement (often 30 days from the incident date) to get coverage.
If Whiskers & spouse wait for more than the XX days under the policy to report an incident, the insurer can deny the claim.

Good info..I may need to make up the date though... :ninja:

Originally Posted by teranfon (Post 11654666)

Terry

Well, not continuously like I backed out and in again, but over the course of a year....The only change I can make is to take out the two double door garages and make it one big door. But even so, not sure if that would help since I have polls in between...

Whiskers 01-16-2010 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX (Post 11654689)
Get the cars fixed, then put some padding on the walls :tongue:

The padding would need to go outside the house....

I need draw a diagram....

Whiskers 01-16-2010 07:20 PM

http://i46.tinypic.com/34zizb4.jpg

Here is my house, the turn into the garage sucks.

dallison 01-16-2010 07:37 PM

i am sure you can claim it under collision, but you will have your deductable and most likely your rates will go up a tad. In the long run it would be cheaper if you were to repair it out of pocket.

orrrrr, have the garage widened. that would be a suite mod.

mitch14 01-16-2010 09:06 PM

i'd be more worried about just showing everyone on AZine where you live :run:

...so you hit the wall on the passenger side of the cars when turning in then?

what do your neighbours do? some of them seem to have a pretty close garage to driveway shape

Costco 01-16-2010 10:38 PM

so we finally find out the truth

Whiskers (and his wife) are both :rice:

Shoofin 01-16-2010 11:08 PM

I would change the drivers.. :dunno:

princelybug 01-16-2010 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by Whiskers (Post 11654436)

:pofl: :pofl: :pofl: :spit: :spit: :spit:

Terry

Street Spirit 01-17-2010 06:33 AM

Is it because you have to turn at a right-angle to get into the garage?

Would backing in make it easier?

Any ground-level pics?

Street Spirit 01-17-2010 06:34 AM

I'm sorry Whiskers, I just find this funny. What do you mean continuously

Terry

:bitelip:

Whiskers 01-17-2010 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by Shoofin (Post 11655201)
I would change the drivers.. :dunno:

Probably the best idea....

Whiskers 01-17-2010 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by I Go To Costco (Post 11655117)
so we finally find out the truth

Whiskers (and his wife) are both :rice:

Me so horny.

Costco 01-17-2010 06:58 AM

Anyways... in all seriousness and after much deliberation, I think your best bet is to install a new garage, which has a better angle :2cents:

Whiskers 01-17-2010 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by I Go To Costco (Post 11655546)
Anyways... in all seriousness and after much deliberation, I think your best bet is to install a new garage, which has a better angle :2cents:

I think the only option is to remove the two doors and make it one, but not sure on how to do that. Plus there is a poll inside...

dallison 01-17-2010 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Whiskers (Post 11655548)
I think the only option is to remove the two doors and make it one, but not sure on how to do that. Plus there is a poll inside...

there's your problem, you've got a poll in your garage.

knight rider 01-17-2010 09:59 AM

Could you pull into your driveway and position the car(s) to pull in backwards? That would make pulling out easier. You could also install parking sensors so that you don't hit the back wall :dunno:

Other than that, find out if the pole (column) in your garage is load bearing. If not you may just be able to remove it. :2cents:

Shoofin 01-17-2010 10:03 AM

So chop the pole off :dunno: Just don't come back to me why your garage ceiling collapsed :shrug:

:tomato:

Maybe re-do your driveway so you can drive straight up from the street instead of all those turns? Not sure if that's allowed, and then again straight down would put you onto a main road it looks like. If not maybe increase the pavement space on that last turn so it's large enoughf or you to maneuver w/o driving on the grass.

Wait- which side is your garage on? The right or left side of the pic?

https://i46.tinypic.com/34zizb4.jpg

Shoofin 01-17-2010 10:07 AM

:ponder:

I've got the perfect solution!

https://farm3.static.flickr.com/2731...07ec2a15_o.jpg

NSXNEXT 01-17-2010 10:24 AM

Must be a PA thing. We looked at a great house in Newtown that had a side-entry garage. There was literally no way (without driving on the grass) to get into the garage. It was ridiculous.

If you go the route of removing the center support, you MUST consult an engineer to determine if you need to beef up the header with either wood or steel.

fsttyms1 01-17-2010 10:53 AM

^ a lot of new subdivisions around here are building houses just like that. I think its stupid!

Talk to your neighbor. Go together and have the section of land between the 2 houses paved. You use his driveway to get into your garage and he uses yours. That way is a easier approach into???

That said, this is part of why you pay for insurance. If you arent making claims left and right your rates shouldnt go up, plus you are adults (well your wife may be :snicker: ) and not kids so you should be ok.

nj2pa2nc 01-17-2010 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by NSXNEXT (Post 11655734)
Must be a PA thing. We looked at a great house in Newtown that had a side-entry garage. There was literally no way (without driving on the grass) to get into the garage. It was ridiculous.

If you go the route of removing the center support, you MUST consult an engineer to determine if you need to beef up the header with either wood or steel.

as a former pa resident I have to say it is NOT a Pa thing.

Costco 01-17-2010 11:26 AM

I forgot that they made side entry garages, haven't seen one in awhile. who the hell thought that was a good idea? sheesh

Street Spirit 01-17-2010 12:51 PM

They do it to keep nice lines and flow so the side of the garage looks like another part of the house and not a garage (from the front of the house). Curb appeal.

Whiskers: Is it possible to just extend the driveway ~5 ft wider in that area to give you more space to make a wider turn?

The Dougler 01-17-2010 01:43 PM

back in. and turn in your man card.

Will Y. 01-17-2010 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Shoofin (Post 11655710)

:nod: :stupid:

Originally Posted by fsttyms1 (Post 11655800)
Talk to your neighbor. Go together and have the section of land between the 2 houses paved. You use his driveway to get into your garage and he uses yours.

:werd: This is probably the most practical approach, assuming there are no utility boxes, etc. located between the garages.
Whiskers and neighbor will have to record access easements for each other, though.

Originally Posted by The Dougler (Post 11656117)
back in. and turn in your man card.

It's Whiskers, AZ's best known metrosexual-- didn't he already turn in his man card many moons ago? :shrug:

Whiskers 01-17-2010 01:58 PM

My neighbor and I do drive on the grass between, so I guess we can still do that, but it doesn't always work.

Yes, pole :duh: Its probably load bearing, so don't know about the one garage door option.

Backing in won't work since I won't have enough clearance ahead of me without bumping into my fence.

Ill call the insurance company and ask what the procedure it, but since we both have damage in the front and real panels, I don't know what we will say the last hit was. Plus, will they care if we both have a claim...?

Its really the kind of thing that will really bother us unless we sell the cars, so not sure if we would even bother, especially since we will do it again.

Yes, turn in my man card...The worst part is something you don't even notice it until the next day, the slightest rub does a lot of damage. The Mr. Clean erasers get the paint from the house off, and touch up paint gets a lot done, but its still sucks.

I suck.

Whiskers 01-17-2010 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Street Spirit (Post 11656006)
They do it to keep nice lines and flow so the side of the garage looks like another part of the house and not a garage (from the front of the house). Curb appeal.

Whiskers: Is it possible to just extend the driveway ~5 ft wider in that area to give you more space to make a wider turn?

We would need to see who's property its on.

Whiskers 01-17-2010 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Will Y. (Post 11656132)
:nod: :stupid:

:werd: This is probably the most practical approach, assuming there are no utility boxes, etc. located between the garages.
Whiskers and neighbor will have to record access easements for each other, though.

It's Whiskers, AZ's best known metrosexual-- didn't he already turn in his man card many moons ago? :shrug:

:nod:

Seems to be go info....

Maybe a smart car is in order...

If it ever stops raining, Ill take pics of the damage of the Lexus and Infiniti... :sad:

gixxer60097 01-17-2010 02:16 PM

It will most likely be an at fault accident for you. I had $1000 worth of damage in a fender bender and a $500 deductible. So insurance paid $500. They raised my rates 25%:what:

I called them and they said the monetary value doesn't matter. i would have been better paying out of pocket.

I haven't had an at fault accident in over 14 yrs and now they said I am a high risk driver for either 3 or 5 yrs, I forget.

I hate insurance companies...

Whiskers 01-17-2010 02:19 PM

Just called Geico and they will only fix one accident per car, so that would get one panel fixed, not sure if its even worth it....They they told me that I need to report any accidents to them regardless and I quickly hung up....Never gave them my policy number...

Hapa DC5 01-17-2010 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Snookie (Post 11656193)
Just called Geico and they will only fix one accident per car, so that would get one panel fixed, not sure if its even worth it....They they told me that I need to report any accidents to them regardless and I quickly hung up....Never gave them my policy number...

Make sure they can't trace you.... Hope you called from a blocked number :ninja:

Whiskers 01-17-2010 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Hapa DC5 (Post 11656229)
Make sure they can't trace you.... Hope you called from a blocked number :ninja:

:ninja: