I'm 16, got pulled over, left with a verbal warning. Now what do I do?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 12:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Oh and on topic... I was pulled over a few times as a teenager and let off with warnings. For the most part I did not tell my parents. Why bother? Only time I did is if I was pissed b/c I felt I was pulled over for no reason.... then I vented to them. Otherwise I typically didn't say anything.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
This thread is all lies. You are fcked. Consider moving to Mexico.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:47 PM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
consider yourself lucky, Sometimes we only learn from mistakes.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:00 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,463 Likes on 4,981 Posts
If I were in your position, that never happened.

Speeding tickets when youre a teen sucks. Ive gotten 8 tickets between the ages of 16 and 20 (only 4 stuck), which resulted in 4 suspensions (because Im fucking retarded). Ive gotten lucky a few times; I should've been arrested at one point but the officer allowed my passenger to drive the car home. My insurance rates are absolutely rediculous, and as of now the only things showing on my record is one administrative suspension and one speeding ticket - 85 in a 65 in Jersey, but I maintain that that incident was pure BS as I had to speed up going down hill when a truck was trying to occupy my passenger seat.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:03 PM
Safety Car

Received 214 Likes on 143 Posts
Seriously, you got off the hook. You're pretty lucky. I got pulled over for going about that same speed in a 30 MPH zone as well. However the cop was really a dumbass and said I was actually going 50, when I was really going also about 40-42 or so (I checked my speedometer when I saw the cop on the side of the road, let go of the gas almost instantly, so there's no way I could have reached 50..)

Anyways, I got a speeding ticket, despite that being the first time I had been pulled over for any violation at all, whatsoever. Not saying I should have been let off the hook, but just letting you know how lucky you are that you got off with a warning
Old 02-15-2010, 01:05 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,463 Likes on 4,981 Posts
Originally Posted by Rapture
Seriously, you got off the hook. You're pretty lucky. I got pulled over for going about that same speed in a 30 MPH zone as well. However the cop was really a dumbass and said I was actually going 50, when I was really going also about 40-42 or so (I checked my speedometer when I saw the cop on the side of the road, let go of the gas almost instantly, so there's no way I could have reached 50..)

Anyways, I got a speeding ticket, despite that being the first time I had been pulled over for any violation at all, whatsoever. Not saying I should have been let off the hook, but just letting you know how lucky you are that you got off with a warning
Especially these days when cops in my area seem to use traffic violations as added revenue in this economy.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:09 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by civicdrivr
Especially these days when cops in my area seem to use traffic violations as added revenue in this economy.
Yeah the guy who tinted my windows a few weeks back said he had been getting a lot of people in the shop who got pulled over and penalized for having too dark of a tint. So yeah I'd say they're just looking for extra revenue.

I can't wait to hear someone complain that they got ticketed for not using their turn signals in this town... I know people have been pulled over for it over here...
Old 02-15-2010, 01:50 PM
I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by PortlandRL
AFAIK, verbal warnings don't show up on your record and they won't affect your insurance. You have been blessed with a stroke of AMAZING luck. Just remember....what papa don't know won't hurt him. I wish I had been driving a TL when I was 16 so count yourself doubly lucky.

:ibmovetocartalk:
I know, I truly felt like the luckiest person on earth when he told me. But thank you. I love my TL more than anything else.

Originally Posted by evilone
ALl be the first realz nukka to sayz it. FUck demz racist as police. demmz foolz be thinkan day is all bad cause the got a billy goat stick and what notz.. terry u aware of what the did 2 poor goat.. made him in2s a stick to be the man down witz.. next time spit in his face that will showz dem piggy wiggles who is bos hoggn up in this bizach
Yes. This.

Originally Posted by I Go To Costco
Poop your pants, cause now you're fucked!!!
I felt like I came close to doing that last night.

Originally Posted by dsickles
or dont speed if you cant deal with the consequences
I'm very well aware of the consequences, and 43 in a 30 is certainly not a habit of mine. At all.

Originally Posted by NWSTL
In Marion County, IN, warnings count as 1 point against your record, speeding less than 15mph over the limit is 2 points, and over that is 4 and considered reckless driving. You should call the county courthouse tomorrow and ask when your court date is and show up EARLY. Don't tell your dad because you may be able to get out of it with traffic school.
Haha very funny. I live in a suburb of Indianapolis that's just out of Marion county. Hendricks. Nice try though!

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
You're fine. Tell your dad if your conscious keeps bothering you and do it just like you told us. Most likely, he'll be pleased with your honesty and will feel you learned a good lesson. Or if you're good to go with it, just let it drop and consider yourself a warned and fortunate young man. In either case, you are indeed fortunate in a number of ways.

BTW, let me commend you on your writing abilities. You do better than a heck of a lot of "adults" on this site. Keep improving - you will only reap the benefits.
I'm very lucky...no doubt about it. But thank you! I try not to typ al dyke dis on uh teh intranets nd sites. Bad grammar is a pain to read and comprehend.

Originally Posted by phee
you seem like a good kid. you also seem pretty humble so telling your dad shouldnt be a problem.

he may see your honesty as a good thing and let you off because you didnt actually get a ticket.

i personally see no need to tell him, however.

learn your lesson and move on, you DO NOT want speeding tickets at that age. i have 4 and im 21. with the money i pay in insurance i could have a waaay nicer car.
Thank you. I think I'm just going to let this one slide by..and not tell him. I guess I really don't see much benefit in telling him if it was only a verbal warning.
But yeah speeding tickets aren't going to please my old man. He told me how much my insurance is a year with my age and the car I drive- I about fell over.
Originally Posted by d-townhakuzo
Well what I would do, being the same age as you, would not tell my dad, until later when you know he would laugh it off. Like years later...if you remember.
Yep that's what I plan on doing. I won't forget this incident though. I like your TL, btw. Too bad you live in Texas and I live in cornfields.

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
As a parent with 2 daughters that will be driving in the next 2 years i agree as well. I would rather the honesty (which would yield in this situation Zero punishment by me). He may look at it as a good thing. If you can handle your conscious than let it go.
Yeah. I plan on telling my mother, who is divorced from my father, about it since she won't be too mad as she's not the one who paid for my car and insurance. I really would tell my dad, but I've got a pretty good feeling his reaction wouldn't be the same as yours. At the very least, the AEM CAI I planned on installing this spring most likely wouldn't be happening. Allowing performance mods after knowing about last night? Yeah not so much.

Originally Posted by synth19
This thread is all lies. You are fcked. Consider moving to Mexico.
Will do. I hear the police there are especially friendly.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by cjTL
Yeah. I plan on telling my mother, who is divorced from my father, about it since she won't be too mad as she's not the one who paid for my car and insurance. I really would tell my dad, but I've got a pretty good feeling his reaction wouldn't be the same as yours. At the very least, the AEM CAI I planned on installing this spring most likely wouldn't be happening. Allowing performance mods after knowing about last night? Yeah not so much.

Its not like you got pulled over for racing someone or something along those lines, it was a honest mistake that your father probably does every day along with most others.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:19 PM
That was uncalled for...

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts
Your dad sounds like a smart man
Old 02-15-2010, 03:36 PM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Received 1,026 Likes on 543 Posts
If you do go to Mexico, stay away from the drug runners and police. They're killing each other (and tourists).

You're fortunate, and I like your plan of telling your Mom. I got pulled over as a teenager. Doing donuts in the parking lot of a Burger King while my friends were drinking heavily in the back seat. Lesson: never throw beer bottles out the car window. I was not drinking, so it worked out with dumping the beer and telling the cop where the party was (drinking age then was 18).
Old 02-15-2010, 03:56 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by sho_nuff1997
Fixed.

You're a bad man (heh, heh).

Thanks for the correction an shame on me.
Old 02-15-2010, 04:00 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
As a parent with 2 daughters that will be driving in the next 2 years i agree as well. I would rather the honesty (which would yield in this situation Zero punishment by me). He may look at it as a good thing. If you can handle your conscious than let it go.
I also have two daughters and with them, as with me and my brother when we were being raised, honesty, not stealing, and not telling lies was most important. We insisted on this as parents and so did my parents. I like to think this was the right way.
Old 02-15-2010, 04:07 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Seriously?!?!!?? There had to be a thread for this.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:04 PM
I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by S A CHO
Your dad sounds like a smart man
Ah, a very smart man actually. Haha.

Originally Posted by mrmako
If you do go to Mexico, stay away from the drug runners and police. They're killing each other (and tourists).

You're fortunate, and I like your plan of telling your Mom. I got pulled over as a teenager. Doing donuts in the parking lot of a Burger King while my friends were drinking heavily in the back seat. Lesson: never throw beer bottles out the car window. I was not drinking, so it worked out with dumping the beer and telling the cop where the party was (drinking age then was 18).
Geez. Don't you love getting in trouble on someone else's behalf? That's always the best. Did that get you a ticket?

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
Seriously?!?!!?? There had to be a thread for this.
And there really had to be a post for that...
I'm 16. Shared my experience and remorse for getting pulled over.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:21 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your fine, its no big deal. The deal is exactly what it is, so until that day where u receive a piece of paper with a court date, your fine. Do the speed limit until your 18.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:05 PM
E92

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts
Old 02-15-2010, 07:43 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by mrmako
This, and stay away from donkey shows, too.

Unless that's your thing.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:33 PM
Burning Brakes

i told my dad about my verbal warning (for 47 in a 35 exiting a 7-figure neighborhood...maybe the cop took pity on me in the 94 camry?) and he seemed amused, so from this i would agree with the earlier statements on honesty.

i said "i don't normally speed i prefer to go the speed limit" to which he replied "so the car i saw flying by me in (month, 2 years prior) on (highway) with (my license plate) wasn't you then?"

:surrender

Oh and OP, having your car taken away for a ticket isn't so harsh. My dad's stated policy on tickets is "If you get a speeding ticket, you shall be lynched in the backyard."

Last edited by niju321; 02-15-2010 at 10:35 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:58 PM
E92

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts
Honestly OP, I wouldn't take the chance. You really have nothing significant to gain, and your car to lose.

Originally Posted by niju321
i told my dad about my verbal warning (for 47 in a 35 exiting a 7-figure neighborhood...maybe the cop took pity on me in the 94 camry?) and he seemed amused, so from this i would agree with the earlier statements on honesty.

i said "i don't normally speed i prefer to go the speed limit" to which he replied "so the car i saw flying by me in (month, 2 years prior) on (highway) with (my license plate) wasn't you then?"

:surrender

Oh and OP, having your car taken away for a ticket isn't so harsh. My dad's stated policy on tickets is "If you get a speeding ticket, you shall be lynched in the backyard."
The thing is, threats like that many times end up being met with less harsh punishments than when they say "I'll take your car away." Your dad is never going to hang you in your backyard
Old 02-15-2010, 11:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TommySalami
Honestly OP, I wouldn't take the chance. You really have nothing significant to gain, and your car to lose.

The thing is, threats like that many times end up being met with less harsh punishments than when they say "I'll take your car away." Your dad is never going to hang you in your backyard
I know my dad wouldn't ACTUALLY lynch me in the backyard, but still, very bad things would happen....

Last edited by niju321; 02-15-2010 at 11:44 PM. Reason: common sense prevailed
Old 02-16-2010, 01:25 AM
S E L L

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by NWSTL
Just kidding, you're off the hook. Don't say a word to your dad, because that very easily could've been a ticket if the cop wasn't feeling nice. Tickets are NO fun, and definitely not worth the thrill most of the time. I've had 24.
You're insurance rates must be orbiting the earth!!

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
You're fine. Tell your dad if your conscious keeps bothering you and do it just like you told us. Most likely, he'll be pleased with your honesty and will feel you learned a good lesson. Or if you're good to go with it, just let it drop and consider yourself a warned and fortunate young man. In either case, you are indeed fortunate in a number of ways.

BTW, let me commend you on your writing abilities. You do better than a heck of a lot of "adults" on this site. Keep improving - you will only reap the benefits.
Thank you for using proper grammar, punctuation, and spelling correctly. I don't know how some of the idiots I know ever graduated high school. It's actually a little scary.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:24 AM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Received 1,026 Likes on 543 Posts
No, just a warning

Originally Posted by cjTL

Geez. Don't you love getting in trouble on someone else's behalf? That's always the best. Did that get you a ticket?
No, we got a warning and I knew my dad would know. Small town, and everyone know everyone. He just wanted to hear from me what happened, and be sure I was not drinking (which I wasn't). So I couldn't drive for a week, but that was just going out, not work.

Honesty FTMFW....
Old 02-16-2010, 05:06 PM

Received 9,524 Likes on 6,180 Posts
I was in your shoes when I was 16. My parents were out of town and I took my dad's 1997 Jaguar XJ6L out for the night. I got pulled for going 47 in a 35. Considering my dad never let me drive the car, even if he was sitting shotty, I knew I was fucked. The police officer knew I was scared shitless so he let me go with a verbal warning. He said "Son you've gotta slow down. I know you have a nice car for your age, but nobody is impressed. Just take your time getting around town. Take this as a lesson learned, go on home."

I ended up telling my dad and he wasn't too happy to say the least. But he soon got over it and appreciated me telling him the truth and not hiding it from him.