I would not buy an Acura again

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2004, 11:52 AM
Advocatus Diaboli

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would not buy an Acura again

Because of the way my transmission issue was treated.

If a 'luxury' carmaker can't include a transmission that can last more than 25,000 miles, they are in the wrong business.

If a 'luxury' carmaker has to recally those transmissions, and then does nothing to compensate their customer, then they are in the wrong business.

It took two and a half weeks to get the transmission and install it. During that time, the dealership approved my rental at Enterprise for the cheapest available rental.

So I ended up paying my monthly lease payment to Acura, but driving a piece of shit car. Anything better than that would have cost me about 20 bucks extra a day. That is complete bullshit. I should have received a car equal to or greater than the value of my Acura, not a goddamn Kia.

Acura is one big disappointment, and I would not purchase another one of their vehicles, especially seeing as how the 'new' transmission that was installed is already giving me some trouble.
Old 12-21-2004, 11:56 AM
Not Asian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like your disappoint should go with the dealer, not Acura. Most dealers will give you at least a TSX.
Old 12-21-2004, 11:59 AM
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by phipark
Sounds like your disappoint should go with the dealer, not Acura. Most dealers will give you at least a TSX.

Really? When I asked the dealer for a loaner, he told me that I needed to make an appointment.

When I pointed out to him that I had no way of foretelling that my transmission was going to fail in the middle of a highway, he told me it didn't matter, no cars were available and I would have to settle for a rental.

When he told me that the whole process would take under a week, I decided to stick it out - there are worse things in the world. However I felt taken advantage of because after week one passed and my car still wasn't ready I asked him for a loaner, he told me that he would call me when one came in and never did.

Highly unprofessional and not what one would expect from a luxury car dealership. The dealerships represent the brand, whether they like it or not.
Old 12-21-2004, 12:00 PM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Call Acura Customer Service. I'm sure they would be very interested to hear how you were treated!! It's stuff like this that can get the dealers in hot water with corporate. However, I believe it is at the dealers discretion to even provide a loaner car! Good luck.
Old 12-21-2004, 12:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by phipark
exactly. my dealer has always given me a equal car or better. your trouble isnt with acura but with your dealer.

and on a side note, every car hs problems and has bad dealers. my frind has had horrible luck with his lexus's and will never go back
Old 12-21-2004, 12:14 PM
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
oyeah.. my mom's benz, extremely horrible service, maintenance problems every other week. then she traded it in for a lexus es. same deal, even with the warranties, she drove her car only 20k for 2 years! then she traded it in for an acura tl. she's lasted one year on it, did her recall, they only took the car for 4 hours and gave her a TSX loaner car.

my acura dealer gave me a fun integra to drive! haha i loved it when i was getting my tranny done on my TL. the handling on the integra was really fun to drive around with, but i missed it when i had to give it back. wish i can get a small little car to just have fun with again.
Old 12-21-2004, 12:15 PM
TLStar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by phins2rt
Call Acura Customer Service. I'm sure they would be very interested to hear how you were treated!! It's stuff like this that can get the dealers in hot water with corporate. However, I believe it is at the dealers discretion to even provide a loaner car! Good luck.

Contact Acura's Customer Service and explain to them what happened, if u have time follow it up with a letter and be sure to have NAMES of the people u dealt with. Hopefully you'll get something out of it. But bottom line is, u shouldn't blame the manufacturer, it's the dealer that represents them and their at fault and Acura cares about their dealer representations cuz thats their reputation on the line (aka $$$). Not everyone has had such a difficult time.
Old 12-21-2004, 12:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by phins2rt
Give Acura Client Services a call, here's their info:

Monday through Friday, 6:00 AM to 5:00 PM Pacific Standard time at the toll-free number (800) 382-2238

The dealership did the right thing by paying for a rental, however not giving you a rental near the same level as your TL wasn't right. I'm not sure there is much you can say about not getting a loaner - just keeping you in a rental would mean less paperwork and it's a car (again, keeping in mind the rental should have been a nicer car).

As far as the time it took for your trans replacment, 2 1/2 weeks is too long. As an example, when my car went in for a new trans, it took my dealer 3 days for them to have the whole thing shipped to them overnight and installed. While most people say this process takes about a week, it's possible you happened to need your trans during a high demand, low supply period, but still, 17 calendar days is a long time. The people at Acura Client Services are really nice and will bend over backwards to make you happy. Just be professional about explaining what happened and your desired expectations of an Acura Dealer. They'll take it from there.
Old 12-21-2004, 12:20 PM
Banned

Old 12-21-2004, 12:27 PM
lover and fighter

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by orcaatk
Give Acura Client Services a call, here's their info:

Monday through Friday, 6:00 AM to 5:00 PM Pacific Standard time at the toll-free number (800) 382-2238

The dealership did the right thing by paying for a rental, however not giving you a rental near the same level as your TL wasn't right. I'm not sure there is much you can say about not getting a loaner - just keeping you in a rental would mean less paperwork and it's a car (again, keeping in mind the rental should have been a nicer car).

As far as the time it took for your trans replacment, 2 1/2 weeks is too long. As an example, when my car went in for a new trans, it took my dealer 3 days for them to have the whole thing shipped to them overnight and installed. While most people say this process takes about a week, it's possible you happened to need your trans during a high demand, low supply period, but still, 17 calendar days is a long time. The people at Acura Client Services are really nice and will bend over backwards to make you happy. Just be professional about explaining what happened and your desired expectations of an Acura Dealer. They'll take it from there.

Yeah, Laurel. Take a deep breath before getting on the phone. You sound pi$$ed and it shows in your writing. You do have a legitimate gripe and have a right to vent and explore the customer service option. Just remember, though it does appear the dealer is the face of Acura, there are some bad apples in every lot. The customer service avenue might allow you some much needed satisfaction. If not, enjoy a new Lexus, Benz, Bimmer, Audi or whatever you may choose...
Old 12-21-2004, 12:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by orcaatk

agreed. that is way to long.the 2 times my tranny died i droped my car off late in the afternoon and the next day they called early in the am and said it was done, and the other time i had to wait 1 day while they ordered a new on in
Old 12-21-2004, 01:17 PM
Advocatus Diaboli

I've read through all your posts and I just want to say thanks for the info all of you provided.
Old 12-21-2004, 02:47 PM
Banned

I would take it up with ACURA on a corporate level, don't judge a company based on one dealership's mistreatment. However at the same time I can understand your frustration. Don't roll over and take this one I would fight it as much as you can IMO.
Old 12-21-2004, 02:51 PM
Racer

I feel your pain, paying your monthly payment for any car that isnt the one you wanted sucks, i doubt id get another acura again, too many glitches for a car company thats supposed to be in the luxury car business.
Old 12-21-2004, 03:08 PM
Banned

Go buy a ...and you'll be back to ACURA in no time.

Originally Posted by Laurelcrest

If a 'luxury' carmaker can't include a transmission that can last more than 25,000 miles, they are in the wrong business.

If a 'luxury' carmaker has to recally those transmissions, and then does nothing to compensate their customer, then they are in the wrong business.

It took two and a half weeks to get the transmission and install it. During that time, the dealership approved my rental at Enterprise for the cheapest available rental.

So I ended up paying my monthly lease payment to Acura, but driving a piece of shit car. Anything better than that would have cost me about 20 bucks extra a day. That is complete bullshit. I should have received a car equal to or greater than the value of my Acura, not a goddamn Kia.

Acura is one big disappointment, and I would not purchase another one of their vehicles, especially seeing as how the 'new' transmission that was installed is already giving me some trouble.
Old 12-21-2004, 03:24 PM
My Daily Driver

Im surprised they did not give you a loaner. I took my TL in for the sunroof rattle, and they gave me an 04 TL for a loaner. All their loaners are actually TL's, and their courtesy vehicle is an 04 MDX
Old 12-21-2004, 04:33 PM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

I've read through all your posts and I just want to say thanks for the info all of you provided.

Keep in mind when buying a car, the purchase price does not only reflect the cost of materials and labor for manufacturing the vehicle, but also for the marketing & support of it. So keep that in mind that when you buy a Lexus, Ford, Mercedes, or Kia. You're not just buying a car, but also their philosophy.
Old 12-21-2004, 09:33 PM
Banned

Same shit happened ot me at Rick Case.

I even waited an extra day because "We will have there loaners tomorrow afternoon, but we have none today"

and it ended up we got a Hyundai Sonata rental car. Im sorry but my 35000 dollar car isnt exactly on the level of a 13000 dollar piece of shit.

As well my 4-5 business days to ahve my car fixed, turned into 8-9 business days. May not seem like a whole lot to you guys, but trust me, add in the weekend to those 8-9 business days and it becomes 10-11 business days. Over twice the time they originally quoted !!!

Just lots of agrevation when there shouldnt be any. if they dont have any loaners, then sign out a demo or a new car to be used. Keep the customer happy and they'll come back. Treat them like shit and dont be honest and exactly the opposite happens.

I just dont think this whole shit rental car bait and switch is cool, and something shuld be done about it
Old 12-21-2004, 09:56 PM
Instructor

wow..acutally Rick Case Acura is best dealer in SFL. They always give me 02 or 03 TL, & CL once a 04TL as loaners car.
Old 12-21-2004, 11:14 PM
Banned

yea i know i like rick case .. family freinds but the shit they just pulled was really unacceptable.
Old 12-21-2004, 11:41 PM
What your problem is?

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MADCAT
hilarious....but so true....
Old 12-21-2004, 11:44 PM
Suzuka Master

I own a Ford and I think its a damn good van , no complains so far after a year.
Old 12-21-2004, 11:44 PM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
do as what others told you.... change dealer.
Old 12-22-2004, 12:02 AM
Racer

Kia??!!Damn....

Now i feel better, at least i got a ford tarus...still a POS though
Old 12-22-2004, 12:15 AM
I make Boom Boom in

My car is in the shop at the dealer and they wanted to give me a compact rental from Enterprise. I was like, no way! They said that since they were doing so many transmission recalls that all their acura loaners were out. So I asked for a demo TL that I could have for the night or an rsx or a tsx. The service manager was a dick, but the parts manager tried to help me out as much as possible and he actually addressed all the issues I had with my car that the service manager just blew off.

In the end, I got a trailblazer as a rental. The rental girl was very helpful and nice and the parts manager was very helpful and even offered to hook me up with some accessories. Points for him! Hopefully I get my car back tomorrow with everything fixed.

I think after the way I get treated "after the sale" at this particular dealer I will throw my future business to another acura dealer in town.
Old 12-22-2004, 07:45 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
btw Acura doesn't make the transmisson, a 3rd party company is outsourced for that stuff, just like a lot of the other components.
Old 12-22-2004, 08:21 AM
Banned

Man, I know you wanna support FORD. But that won't convince anyone.
Unlike Acura, every car from FORD is a lemon.

Originally Posted by bdimc2001
I own a Ford and I think its a damn good van , no complains so far after a year.
Old 12-22-2004, 08:35 AM
lover and fighter

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by txathlete
My car is in the shop at the dealer and they wanted to give me a compact rental from Enterprise. I was like, no way! They said that since they were doing so many transmission recalls that all their acura loaners were out. So I asked for a demo TL that I could have for the night or an rsx or a tsx. The service manager was a dick, but the parts manager tried to help me out as much as possible and he actually addressed all the issues I had with my car that the service manager just blew off.

In the end, I got a trailblazer as a rental. The rental girl was very helpful and nice and the parts manager was very helpful and even offered to hook me up with some accessories. Points for him! Hopefully I get my car back tomorrow with everything fixed.

I think after the way I get treated "after the sale" at this particular dealer I will throw my future business to another acura dealer in town.
The one time my dealer was out of cars, they indeed used Enterprise but I made them put me in a Cadillac if I had to drive a sled. They sucked it up with a little gripe...
Old 12-22-2004, 09:10 AM
Burning Brakes

Man, I know you wanna support FORD. But that won't convince anyone.
Unlike Acura, every car from FORD is a lemon.
No that would be Chevy.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:12 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BeemerKiller
Kia??!!Damn....

Now i feel better, at least i got a ford tarus...still a POS though
Man going from an Acura to a Ford cliTaurus. That sucks
Old 12-22-2004, 11:55 AM
Race Director

Jeez sorry dude.
Old 12-22-2004, 12:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Old 12-22-2004, 01:07 PM
GEEZER

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,418 Posts

Dude, its a mechanical Device...shit happens. You think more expensive cars never break???
We are being compensated, we all have 100k Warranties on our Transmissions.
That is up to your dealer. I would have called ACURA Directly...you would have been treated better on the loaner issue.
The car is YOURS. If you financed it conventionally you would have had to make the payments...why should a lease be different???
Old 12-22-2004, 01:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 1killercls
The car is YOURS. If you financed it conventionally you would have had to make the payments...why should a lease be different???
Well, it is a little different because when you lease a car, you're essentially renting it and no have equity in the car like in a conventional loan. So basically you're paying to use it, but if the car is in the shop, you're money is wasted. It's basically the same difference as renting or owning a home. How would you feel if you were renting an apartment but were not allowed in for two weeks? Would you be upset at paying rent for a nice apartment but then were forced to stay at a Motel 6?

But it does sound like you're dealer is to blame here. My dealer, when they realized they needed to keep the car overnight, immediately gave me a loaner (TSX) without me even asking. I'm sure if my car had a under-warranty tranny problem and I was without my car for a week or more, they would have provided me a loaner.
Old 12-22-2004, 02:12 PM
Banned

lol talking about irony...

Old 12-22-2004, 02:12 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104525
Old 12-22-2004, 02:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by johnny--2k
Im surprised they did not give you a loaner. I took my TL in for the sunroof rattle, and they gave me an 04 TL for a loaner. All their loaners are actually TL's, and their courtesy vehicle is an 04 MDX
what is so surprising ????? they are just OUT.
heck even car rental places run outta cars.
You were just plain lucky that business was sooooo slow at that dealer in your neck of the woods.
Old 12-22-2004, 02:25 PM
Banned

man all this bitching and you don't tell the world which dealer was it that dissed you....
Old 08-24-2007, 11:20 AM
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by cTLgo
btw Acura doesn't make the transmisson, a 3rd party company is outsourced for that stuff, just like a lot of the other components.
That's irrelevant, they brand the car Acura so they better stand behind all the components under the brand.
Old 08-24-2007, 11:24 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,769 Likes on 13,963 Posts
Yes...please respond 3 years later.

Quick Reply: I would not buy an Acura again