Hypermilers: Breaking the 100-MPG Barrier

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 02:17 PM
That's Racist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazy Sellout
Remember how we used to compare our cocks by the horsepower we had under the hood.

Now its all about how much gas you can save.

Wonder if im the only one who hasnt changed their driving style in order to save fuel.
i havent ever changed my style of driving ever.

if i feel like coasting i'll coast. (but never at stupidly low speeds)

if i feel like driving in a spirited fashion then i'll do so
Old 06-11-2008, 10:02 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by vishnus11
Firstly, I'm surprised that no one has pointed out that this is.....a bunch of BS. Technically, what that idiotic hypermiler is doing is LESSENING his fuel economy.

THere comes a certain point where a car is at its 'optimum' speed in terms of efficiency. On modern cars, this speed is said to be around 50-55mph, although I believe that due to a couple of factors this could now be 60-65mph.

- Cars are more slippery. See GT-R, LS600, Prius, etc.
- More gears - 7 or 8 speed trannys allow for super tall gearing.

Either way, driving at 20mph will simply NOT be as efficient as driving at 45mph

Driving at ultra low rpms will also cause the engine to lug, worseing efficiency and putting unnecessary stress on the engine.

Idiots...clogging up traffic and spewing a bunch of BS

EDIT: coasting in neutral is another famously idiotic myth. Modern cars don't consume a drop of fuel when coasting with the car in gear By contrast, when you stick the car in neutral, fuel is needed to keep the engine idling. Just look at the instaneous mpg readouts that some cars have....whenever you lift off the gas, the mpg skyrockets.
Wow, the comments about coasting in gear are so wrong that I had to comment.

I purchased a ScanGaugeII just to play with it and see what effects gas mileage. The gas mileage does go up when you take your foot off the gas in gear, but it goes WAY UP if you put it in neatral (like when you are coasting to a stop light up ahead). The reasons are obvious. If the car is in gear and your foot is off the gas, the RPMs can be at 1,800...2,000...2,200 RPMs. If you put it in neutral, the RPMs drop to 600-700 RPMs. Less RPMs means the engine is spinning slower = less gas.

The ScanGaugeII is actually very cool with a ton of information on it. It plugs in and sets up in seconds. If you go to http://www.cleanmpg.com/index.php they offer a group buy price of $149.95 shipped...cheapest on the Net.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:06 AM
Suzuka Master

Wrong. DFCO works on many cars 1998 and up with a manual transmission, aka MOST cars. Scangauge is the only way to check if you car has this mode, but generally if one person with your car experiments you will know.

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4248
Old 06-11-2008, 11:07 AM
Team Owner

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by carguyrob

I purchased a ScanGaugeII just to play with it and see what effects gas mileage. The gas mileage does go up when you take your foot off the gas in gear, but it goes WAY UP if you put it in neatral (like when you are coasting to a stop light up ahead). The reasons are obvious. If the car is in gear and your foot is off the gas, the RPMs can be at 1,800...2,000...2,200 RPMs. If you put it in neutral, the RPMs drop to 600-700 RPMs. Less RPMs means the engine is spinning slower = less gas.

The ScanGaugeII is actually very cool with a ton of information on it. It plugs in and sets up in seconds. If you go to http://www.cleanmpg.com/index.php they offer a group buy price of $149.95 shipped...cheapest on the Net.

I'm not sure how reliable this little gadget is, but I'm smart enough to know that coasting in neutral save a hell of alot of gas compared to 'coasting'...I see evidence of this on my MID. Here's another one for you. Turn you car off right before you get on the exit ramp. When I'm going sixty five and I'm taking the exit for my house, I'll throw the car into neutral, turn the car off, and by the time my car gets to the point where I need to start braking I'm still going about 50mph....and I have at least a good half mile from the exit ramp to the light. That works too.
Old 06-11-2008, 12:17 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by TS_eXpeed

I'm not sure how reliable this little gadget is, but I'm smart enough to know that coasting in neutral save a hell of alot of gas compared to 'coasting'...I see evidence of this on my MID. Here's another one for you. Turn you car off right before you get on the exit ramp. When I'm going sixty five and I'm taking the exit for my house, I'll throw the car into neutral, turn the car off, and by the time my car gets to the point where I need to start braking I'm still going about 50mph....and I have at least a good half mile from the exit ramp to the light. That works too.
I am not sure why you are suggesting that you are "with stupid". You and are arguing the same point...that coasting in neutral saves gas.

As for ScanGauge...it plugs into the OBDII input, you do a set up with your engine size, etc. It displays your exact RPMs with about a 1 second delay. It is far, far, far more accurate than the MID or any other car trip computer.
Old 06-11-2008, 12:22 PM
hates the winter

WOW, a lot of that seems dangerous and annoying. Around town I drive at 40-45mph, and on the highway no faster than 70mph using cruise control. I try to avoid the drive through, and take my foot off the gas when I see a yellow or red light up ahead. Windows down in the city and AC on the highway.

One thing I've been doing is on the highway I hit the AC off button for a while until the temp increases slightly then turn it back on. Windows up and No A/C saves a lot of gas. I can usually go 10 miles before I have to turn the AC on again.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:01 PM
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

Was your car warmed up when you did this? My understanding is that in gear with the throttle closed, the ECU can shut off the injectors to save fuel since none is needed to keep the engine turning over (assuming the car is moving). However, since OBD-II it still injects a small amount (if the engine's warmed up, or a lot if the engine isn't) to keep the catalytic converters hot for emissions purposes.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by shrykhar
Was your car warmed up when you did this? My understanding is that in gear with the throttle closed, the ECU can shut off the injectors to save fuel since none is needed to keep the engine turning over (assuming the car is moving). However, since OBD-II it still injects a small amount (if the engine's warmed up, or a lot if the engine isn't) to keep the catalytic converters hot for emissions purposes.
Thankyou!

ECU shuts off the injectors when coasting IN GEAR.

Putting the car in neutral just uses more gas.

GOOGLE IT. The first two hits both agree with this. Here's the link to a 'hypermiler' who actually experienced DECREASED gas mileage when he shifted his car into neutral at every possible instance instead of coasting in gear

http://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/f...neutral-10071/
Old 06-11-2008, 04:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

See above post.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:55 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
have you seen the news media videos? they rarealy brake fly around corners, etc

they need some cops to give them a few reckless driving tickets
Old 06-12-2008, 12:28 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wonder how many 3 dollar bottles of water or 5 dollar starbucks coffees these guys drink while "hypermiling"
Old 06-12-2008, 12:57 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,651 Likes on 1,116 Posts
Unfotunately, I have a garage in Florida. I'm not going to back in or push the car out of the garage when it's 100 degrees out. No way.

I save gas by the following ways:

1.) Got carbon fiber hood. Reduces weight that the car has to pull around.

2.) Take out all unwanted weight from car. Notice I didn't say unnecessary. I have a subwoofer in the back of my car, which I like. Anything I'm not using, I take out of the car, i.e. car seat, random items, etc.

3.) Set tire pressures to 40 PSI for less rolling resistance.

4.) Use AC only to cool car down, and then turn it off for a while.

5.) Always have windows up.

6.) Avoid puddles and potholes/bumps if safe and if possible. If avoidance causes problems for my passengers (wife/child), or other drivers, then I'll hit the bump.

7.) Lowered the car, so as to decrease the drag coefficient. Not sure this works though. I remember in fluid dynamics that the drag coefficient was a product of the frontal area, so if the height is lower, the frontal area is less, hence less drag coefficient. It may not be a huge difference, but oh well.

8.) Try to time lights, i.e. take foot off gas a little while before lights if I know it's been green for a while. Chances are that it will turn red soon. If it does turn red, I coast to a stop on the red light if I happen to get there before the light turns green again.

I'm sure other people do this though.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:44 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by SakiGT
Wrong. DFCO works on many cars 1998 and up with a manual transmission, aka MOST cars. Scangauge is the only way to check if you car has this mode, but generally if one person with your car experiments you will know.

I respectfully stand corrected. My TL-S (and most likely all of our TL's) have DFCO. I was easily able to test this with the ScanGaugeII.

When decending a hill, if I push in the clutch, the instant MPGs go up to 60-75mpg. If I leave it in gear, the display shows 9999mpg within 1-2 seconds. It only displays that when the car is in gear and my foot is not touching the gas pedal at all. I also am only able to get it to do this in 6th gear. Pretty cool actually!

Thanks!
Old 06-16-2008, 10:19 AM
Suzuka Master

No problem. It seems counter intuitive and even though were aware of DFCO the boyfriend insists that being able to glide downhill for a longer distance out of gear is better than leaving it in gear and having to accelerate towards the bottom.

Like I said, no need to buy the gauge, but as long as one member of a car forum can confirm your make model has DFCO its generally the way to go.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:42 AM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
I have a question for this coasting in gear vs coasting in neutral debate. When you leave the car in gear, it may shut off the fuel to the engine but you are still adding the mechanical drag of the engine. If you are going down hill and coasting in neutral, you are only dealing with the friction of the wheels on the road and turning of the axels.

As I see it with a manual transmission left in gear, you are either holding speed with your foot on the pedal, accelerating with your foot on the pedal or decelerating with your foot off the pedal. The only way to free coast with no drag from the engine compression would be to go into neutral.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:56 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by black label
I have a question for this coasting in gear vs coasting in neutral debate. When you leave the car in gear, it may shut off the fuel to the engine but you are still adding the mechanical drag of the engine. If you are going down hill and coasting in neutral, you are only dealing with the friction of the wheels on the road and turning of the axels.

As I see it with a manual transmission left in gear, you are either holding speed with your foot on the pedal, accelerating with your foot on the pedal or decelerating with your foot off the pedal. The only way to free coast with no drag from the engine compression would be to go into neutral.
I do agree. If you put the car in neutral, you roll much further as you have very little resistance (tire and wind only). If the car is in gear, it tends to slow down more quickly. Not so bad though if you are in 6th gear and see a red light way up ahead.

I drive almost entirely local all the time. I generally averaged 22-23 mpg over the past year.

I ran a comparison...Two tanks ago, I did the neutral roll thing anytime I could get some rolling in down a decline. I also shut the engine off for any long lights where it had just turned red for me. I managed 23.4mpg out of that tank.

This past tank, I still turned the engine off at long red lights, but coasted in gear where necessary. I also used the ScanGaugeII the whole time to try and optimize my driving for gas mileage. I got 26.54mpg on the tank I filled up today.

I am not doing any of the other more radical hypermileaging techniques.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:13 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by black label

I think it depends on the situation. Rolling down offramps may be better leaving it in neutral. Rolling towards stoplights (90% of the cases Id say) you can take advantage of DFCO mode.

I wouldnt bog the motor by leaving it in too high of a gear, but from what I can tell its usually cool to stay in 5th until 30ish mph, then 4th, then 3rd, then neutral for the stop.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:18 AM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
This thread got me thinking and I've put some techniques into practice on my daily 100 mile round trip commute. I just pulled off 510.1 miles on a tank of gas strictly through coasting down hills. When I'm getting on the highway Vtec still gets used and I'm not driving under the speed limit.

I actually find the drive much less stressful, tailgating and road rage have been eliminated and I get to fill up the tank every 5 days instead of every 4.

In the end, I went 452 miles before the gas light went on (typically about 350 with this commute) and got 32.xxx MPG out of a CL type S that would have got about 26 MPG. When I filled up it only took 15.6 gallons, I probably could have pushed it to 550 miles.

If I lived in a flat area, this wouldn't work, but I've found that I am typically driving up or down a hill about 90% of the time.
Old 06-16-2008, 05:42 PM
boost owns

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The concept of "hypermiling" is fine, if it can be done in a safe and non-obtrusive way. But it's the smug self-important circle-jerk mentality of pretty much everyone who uses the word (which I also hate) "hypermiling" that drives me up the wall.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Picked up about 3-4mpg on this tank by just backing down from 80mph to 60mph with cruise control on my commute... I go thru stop and go traffic in Providence, so even tho' I'm on the highway, it's like having some city driving involved...

I've got to work on coasting more where there are some hills, and establishing some landmarked and speeds where I can put it in neutral...

Also have to work on accelerating from a stop more slowly... With the 6spd, I tend to take off a little too quickly...

Figure I should be able to milk another 1 or 2 mpg without going to any extreme measures like some of the wackjobs out there...

We'll see how the next tank full goes, and see how long I can keep this up before returning to my old "bad" habits...
Old 07-11-2008, 04:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Last few tanks cruising to work at 60 mph with AC on only netted 26 mpg... Just hit 30 mpg on the last tankful !!

From a CL thread:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...=196185&page=3

Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai
keeping the engine at 2K-2.5K during accelleration goes a LONG way to helping city milage
I think that was the important ingredient that I was missing...

Just got 30.34 mpg on the last tank full (364.8 miles on 12.02 gallons)... but the numbers are skewed a bit since I didn't use AC all week, and I had a trip to my mom's on july 4th weekend...

This week, windows back up... AC on... cruise at 60mph, and more coasting and shifting at 2k-2.5K...
Old 07-12-2008, 09:03 AM
I love cars!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by I hate cars
I don't agree with the person who said to coast in neutral. That still uses the idle amount of fuel. Coasting in gear shuts the injectors completely off.
Where did you learn this? If the injectors are shut off completely how does the engine remain running?
Old 07-12-2008, 04:30 PM
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by fast-tl
Where did you learn this? If the injectors are shut off completely how does the engine remain running?
Cliff notes:
Car forward momentum -> wheels turn -> engine turns over as long as clutch is engaged. Energy is consumed by the engine turning over, so the car's momentum is reduced -> you slow down.
Old 07-12-2008, 05:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by TS_eXpeed

You don't feel turning off the car while driving is dangerous? what if you need the gas to avoid an emergency situation. What about power steering, brakes, ect. That doesn't seem worth the risk at all.

I'm all for sensible driving to save gas, but these hypermillers do some pretty stupid and dangerous things when they drive. They risk their lifes and others to save money. That said I drive sensible most of the time, but I do like to drive spirited and will never give that up in the TL.
Old 07-12-2008, 05:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by SakiGT

OMG! Theres a YARIS forum?
I kinda like that this exists for some reason. LOL!