How to revive a beater?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2005, 03:38 PM
I love cars!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
How to revive a beater?

Maybe I shouldn't bother, but I picked up a non-running 1989 Pontiac Bonneville for my 22-mile roundtrip commute to work. This would allow my wife to have the TL for her much longer commute, and I could drive the Pontiac rather than my wife's Expedition, leaving the SUV for mainly weekend duty.

Anyway we bought it from friends who'd parked it for some time because it kept overheating. When I paid them $200 for it, figuring I could easilt determing why it kept overheating and perhaps use some Water Wetter in the coolant, and voila!

Well, when I towed it off with the Expy, the rear drum brakes had seized from sitting, so I had to work them loose to tow it home. The main problem is I have YET to get the damned car running. I've added a new battery, removed, cleaned and reinstalled spark plugs, added Stabil and about 4 gallons of fresh fuel to the existing fuel in the tank. I've tried starting fluid, which only results in a backfire, but no running. Engine turns over fine, but I don't know how good the spark is. There's electronic ignition, so no distributor to worry about. Oil filter looks brand new, and the dipstick looks clean so I haven't changed the oil. I wonder about going ahead with new plugs and wires, but I'd like to conserve cash for the real problem and not just throw parts at it. I'm a bit suspicious of the computer, but how to check if it's any good if the car isn't driveable yet?

Any clues? Is there a way to read codes or have the computer tested? Fuel's getting to the fuel rail, and I presume the injectors are working, but I'm out of ideas. This is liely paranoia, but there's an alarm on it and I have the remote to arm and disarm. Any chance that the alarm's interfering somehow? Unlikely, but who can be sure? I've checked that all fuses are good.

So, to the point: how can I revive this beater? I'd like to get it running for less than $500, including the $200 purchase price. So far I'm out the initial $200 plus stuff like carb/intake cleaner spray, starting fluid, a new battery for the car and the alarm remote.

Thanks for the input, folks!
Old 06-04-2005, 03:49 PM
I love cars!

Some pics:

Last edited by fast-tl; 06-04-2005 at 03:51 PM.
Old 06-04-2005, 04:01 PM
Changin bulbs since '73

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
wow, that's rough lookin
i don't have anything useful to contribute, though.
Old 06-04-2005, 05:02 PM
I love cars!

Yeah, these pix are as-is, where-is. Just the way it got into my driveway. I've cleaned it up a bit since then, though.