How many HP to give to your kid.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 03:58 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 439 Likes on 322 Posts
Originally Posted by Costco
It is definitely arguable that having driving aides and commonly optional safety equipment will keep you safer.... but I strongly feel that it won't make you a better driver if you're just starting off and learning
I somewhat disagree and agree. Like you mentioned things like blind spot warning, lane warning, all those warnings I dont think ANYBODY should need them. Honestly if you do, take the bus cause I wouldnt wanna drive next to them.

My post is talking about driving aids such as TC, Stability control, ABS (sure thats a given for you) I know what you mean that tires makes the difference and its true. But things always happens and I'd want my kid to have these nannies on his car. Cause everyone makes mistakes when driving, even professional race car drivers. And if you overcook it once turn then well its better to have that as a back up to save your ass. Sure get a system thats defeatable for the track, but on the road it should be present.

Originally Posted by asianspec
I feel that giving a son or daughter a crappy car as their first car does give them a sense of appreciation of what they have. 90's are still good reliable cars as they go through the same 5 point rating as today. If they have a car that breaks down all the time,it also teaches about learning about your car and taking care of it.maybe after showing some responsibility and proving to be a safe driver then, talk about getting a new or newer car. Kids today are being served on a silver spoon and dont know hardship.
I also somewhat disagree with this. Kids stay out late. Do you wanna risk your kid getting stuck in the am on a fwy or sketch road. I mean sure get him a 90s honda, that thing will be reliable, but dont get him a 90s vw lol.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,097 Likes on 831 Posts
Originally Posted by speedemon90
I somewhat disagree and agree. Like you mentioned things like blind spot warning, lane warning, all those warnings I dont think ANYBODY should need them. Honestly if you do, take the bus cause I wouldnt wanna drive next to them.

My post is talking about driving aids such as TC, Stability control, ABS (sure thats a given for you) I know what you mean that tires makes the difference and its true. But things always happens and I'd want my kid to have these nannies on his car. Cause everyone makes mistakes when driving, even professional race car drivers. And if you overcook it once turn then well its better to have that as a back up to save your ass. Sure get a system thats defeatable for the track, but on the road it should be present.

I also somewhat disagree with this. Kids stay out late. Do you wanna risk your kid getting stuck in the am on a fwy or sketch road. I mean sure get him a 90s honda, that thing will be reliable, but dont get him a 90s vw lol.
that's what's road side assistance is for. Plus I would never have my kid out to the am. Unless they moved out.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:14 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,194 Likes on 687 Posts
Originally Posted by speedemon90
Perhaps when a kid is at the age of being allowed to drive, he shouldn't be out late to begin with.

I see Asian's point though. If he wants to stay out late, a semi-unreliable car should teach 1 of 2 things: He can either fix the car if he wants to stay out late & still make it home. Or he can cut his losses, and stay home.
Staying out late though, knowing that your car could run into an issue at any moment is not very responsible, imo.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:36 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,194 Likes on 687 Posts
I apologize for the double post (I ran beyond the time limit when I tried to edit & I don't have the powers to merge my own in this section).

As far as the topic goes, I can understand others' view on those without kids need not apply to the discussion. At the same time, I do think it can come down to how the kid was raised, even if 90% of today's young generation seems to have been raised by the people of the generation just before them (i.e., young parents). I'd like to think I may have been a special case regarding the topic, most of the time. I had a brand new Civic Si luckily, so I had to learn a manual from the get-go, a topic I know many argue would make better drivers on the road. And while most would think I was spoiled, I did in fact pay for that car. As soon as I leased it, I went out & got a job to pay the $300/month on it. Not soon after though, I started driving our Acura, but I was still given a catch; I had to pay the payments on it whilst still paying the insurance on the Si. And I won't lie, I've been guilty of "spirited" driving with it. Not a lot, but the history is there in my head. I like to think achieving my license beyond the point most teens do played a role as well; I watched their mistakes.

But, the next couple years, I really appreciated having it & I did consider myself lucky. And came January 2011, I decided to buy it out & make it my own. Since then, I have definitely reduced myself from driving it like I did in the past. And even today, I cringe at the few dents & paint scrapes it's had, but at least I know the car has been there for me a lot.

I'm not saying every kid will turn out like I did with responsible parents; some are just dumb. But, it does get to me when I get roped in with the "spoiled" kid crowd or that every kid should be given a used first car. I think certain exceptions can be made, just depends on the kid & whether or not the parents have any taught them any common sense.