How many HP to give to your kid.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 06:12 PM
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Type34
Respect! My 1st was a 1988 Berreta GT (2.8L V6, all 125hp of it) - and yes those are an Air Jordan shirt and shoes I'm wearing...ha

Considering my son is only 2, his first car will probably be something electrical or a hybrid, but definitely not new, not expensive, and hopefully something we can work on together.
Who wears short shorts
Old 04-05-2012, 06:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by Aman
It'll definetely be harder though
For some maybe,but not all. You should have seen the stuff we did with a Geo Metro

Ill give the kid the ferrari when he turns 16 and ill upgrade.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:23 PM
Go Pats!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
my first car is 08 TL-S that i got in 09 just right before i started college. I'm don't beat the hell out of it or anything but im treating it like it's my wife. I know my parents work hard to buy me a nice dependable car that will last me throughout college and much more. I think it's really depend on how you raise your kids. If you raise him/her right from the start then you don't have nothing to worry about.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:49 PM
Go Pats!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I don't have any kids right now but in the future If my son/daughter needs a car, there are a couple of factors that go into my decision.
1. how responsible is my kid
meaning that he doesn't do drugs, hang out with bad people, or get into trouble and doing good in school is a MUST etc....
2. Does he/she really need it
I'm not going buy a car just b/c he/she hates the school bus.
3. I want a car that will last my kid throughout high school and college. So dependable is a must
4. How much am i making alone with my wife
If our income are pretty well off then i might even consider a new car

these 4 factors will play major role when i decide to buy a car for my child and i was a 17/18 kid once not too long ago so i know how it feel to get your first car. At first i really didnt want the TLS i wanted m3 to be honest but after learning how much it will cost my parents to up keep the m3 (my uncle have x5 and my brother in law have a 750i) i came to the conclusion that i didnt want to put any more burden on my parents shoulders than what i already have. So after searching i got the TLS. My plan is to finish my BA in electrical engineering (I'm a junior) and get a job and buy the car i want with my own money instead of using my parents hard earned $. I wanted a C63amg now those look so nice
Old 04-06-2012, 04:08 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 439 Likes on 322 Posts
Reading this more I thinking this...

When my kid gets comfortable driving.

Take him to a defensive driving school.

Then if he/she is like me and loves driving cars.

Let him take lessons to autox and such.

This way they will be much better drivers and for those that love driving (which are the ones to do crazier stuff on the road in my opinion) giving them track time will hopefully take that adrenaline surges off the road.

and if i think my kid is responsible after all this I really dont care what I end up giving him, whether it be a GTI or a Elantra.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:57 AM
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts
Okay okay here is how I see it. The one and only compelling reason to not get your kid a nice car: his future prospects for happiness are greatly lessened.

How does it work? It's a psychological thing. It isn't so much the objective car qua car that matters as does the feeling of life getting better, upgrading, more awesome things year by year, etc. I've discussed this with a friend whose parents, like mine, made top salary. Basically we realized if we had had parents with minimum wage jobs or even average jobs, we would be patting ourselves on the back for the jobs and salaries we have or perhaps even for things as trivial as graduating college. Instead we consider ourselves to be complete failures at life so far. People my age are buying houses, but I have not the slightest inkling of an interest -- for starters -- because during high school I lived in a 5,000 sq ft mansion, and there is no way in my lifetime I would have the riches to buy a $350k house. Anything I am capable of buying is going to seem like a mediocre compromise, a reminder of my failure. So I'd rather just avoid it entirely and live in a dinky apartment for $350/mo. forever.

Lesson: Don't get your kid an M5 or even a TL-S unless... you are really sure he has the ambition to buy himself something far, far better a few years down the road..
Old 04-06-2012, 11:44 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,097 Likes on 831 Posts
Originally Posted by parasitius
Okay okay here is how I see it. The one and only compelling reason to not get your kid a nice car: his future prospects for happiness are greatly lessened.

How does it work? It's a psychological thing. It isn't so much the objective car qua car that matters as does the feeling of life getting better, upgrading, more awesome things year by year, etc. I've discussed this with a friend whose parents, like mine, made top salary. Basically we realized if we had had parents with minimum wage jobs or even average jobs, we would be patting ourselves on the back for the jobs and salaries we have or perhaps even for things as trivial as graduating college. Instead we consider ourselves to be complete failures at life so far. People my age are buying houses, but I have not the slightest inkling of an interest -- for starters -- because during high school I lived in a 5,000 sq ft mansion, and there is no way in my lifetime I would have the riches to buy a $350k house. Anything I am capable of buying is going to seem like a mediocre compromise, a reminder of my failure. So I'd rather just avoid it entirely and live in a dinky apartment for $350/mo. forever.

Lesson: Don't get your kid an M5 or even a TL-S unless... you are really sure he has the ambition to buy himself something far, far better a few years down the road.

you should stop posting here now.you sir have not reached your age yet.

that kind of stuff somebody's son or daughter should be buying that on their own. if they're parents are buying them anything over 30k is then they are straight up spoiled. Every kid should start with a used beater car to learn the principles having a car and to appreciate having one. Whats every kids ambition's between age 15 to 21, having a car to show off their friends. You may get a few kids that would think a car is really to get from point a to point b.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 198 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by asianspec
I think all kids under 21 here have no saying in this thread.
I think all people with no kids yet have no say in this thread. It all changes once you have them. My parents bought me my first car and I will probably do the same. As long as my kids are respectful and do well in school, i'll help them out. I've had a job since I was 15, my parents bought the car but I had to take care of it, gas, insurance etc. It did make me a better person but often my school work suffered. Not saying I will give my sons a total free ride but I want their education to come first.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:50 PM

Received 5,885 Likes on 2,900 Posts
Originally Posted by achenator
I think all people with no kids yet have no say in this thread. It all changes once you have them. My parents bought me my first car and I will probably do the same. As long as my kids are respectful and do well in school, i'll help them out. I've had a job since I was 15, my parents bought the car but I had to take care of it, gas, insurance etc. It did make me a better person but often my school work suffered. Not saying I will give my sons a total free ride but I want their education to come first.
I too have been enjoying all the free advice from folks with no kids. I know it sounds cliche, but really the phrase - Just wait until you have them and you'll see - definitely applies here.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:01 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
I have to 2 children and have been a teenager, so hopefully what I say makes sense.

I don't know if horsepower is what necessarily gets some kids in trouble, its often circumstances such as how many kids are in the car with them egging on bad behavior, who their friends actually are, and of course, how likely your kid is gonna do stupid stuff that has to be your barometer.

Horsepower is like alcohol....it only exacerbates any problem. Makes you braver, act more stupid, etc.
The following users liked this post:
Costco (04-07-2012)
Old 04-06-2012, 01:03 PM
My first Avatar....

Received 5,823 Likes on 3,735 Posts
Originally Posted by parasitius

Lesson: Don't get your kid an M5 or even a TL-S unless... you are really sure he has the ambition to buy himself something far, far better a few years down the road..

You need better cognitive reasoning skills.

you should stop posting here now.you sir have not reached your age yet.
This.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:03 PM

Received 5,885 Likes on 2,900 Posts
Originally Posted by CarbonGray Earl
I have to 2 children and have been a teenager, so hopefully what I say makes sense.

I don't know if horsepower is what necessarily gets some kids in trouble, its often circumstances such as how many kids are in the car with them egging on bad behavior, who their friends actually are, and of course, how likely your kid is gonna do stupid stuff that has to be your barometer.

Horsepower is like alcohol....it only exacerbates any problem. Makes you braver, act more stupid, etc.
Good summary. One addition though - the more the horsepower the greater the TEMPTATION to do something stupid.
Costco (04-07-2012)
Old 04-06-2012, 01:05 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ttribe
Good summary. One addition though - the more the horsepower the greater the TEMPTATION to do something stupid.
very true...
Old 04-06-2012, 01:07 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Whatever hand-me-down we happen(ed) to have at the time (for kid #1 anyhow).

I should've bought and kept the 2000-ish Taurus rep-mobile I had. That was a great car as far as reliablity and durability. That would've been her first car. Instead it ended up being the '02 TL-S (258 HP).

Kid #2, OTOH, wanted an '05+ Mustang (V6, 220-ish HP). Saved for it and eventually got that as her first car (with parental assistance).

Both pay for gas, maint and insurance.

The TL is getting beat up over her 5-year ownership. The Mustang is as good as the day we bought it a year ago.

It's not about HP, it's about level of responsibility. Then what is affordable and practical.

Last edited by Bearcat94; 04-06-2012 at 01:10 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by ttribe
Hulk Hogan's kid is a great example.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Pare, im going to send my kids to the P.I. to learn how to drive. lol
Old 04-06-2012, 01:29 PM
Safety Car

Hulk Hogan's kid is a great example.
let's not forget about the 4 kids in Florida that took an m5 for a long flight off a small hill.

Interestingly, cars aren't as big an indicator of 'arrival' as they used to be. Sure we still have a car culture, but sometimes I think kids these days are more interested in what they could do with their phones.

Pare, im going to send my kids to the P.I. to learn how to drive. lol
Oh, good lord ....good luck man, drive there and they'll be ready for anything!!

Last edited by CarbonGray Earl; 04-06-2012 at 01:31 PM.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:22 PM
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by pttl

You need better cognitive reasoning skills

This.
You guises' negative comments are frustrating the heck out of me... I mean, okay fine, you disagree with my reasoning or viewpoint... but at least give me a concrete counter-point to respond to? I might be able to make it all make sense to you if you told me why it seems so "off" from your perspective.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:04 PM
Meridian

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
Corolla base model.

....because a '91 corolla was my first car, now matter how much you floor it, it went nowhere.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:35 PM
Senior Moderator

let's not forget about the 4 kids in Florida that took an m5 for a long flight off a small hill.

Interestingly, cars aren't as big an indicator of 'arrival' as they used to be. Sure we still have a car culture, but sometimes I think kids these days are more interested in what they could do with their phones.

Oh, good lord ....good luck man, drive there and they'll be ready for anything!!
I just hope that they learn that the sidewalk isn't the street.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Here's a question for you parents.

For those that are letting the kid buy their own car, I'm guessing that means your kid is buying a used car then. Does this not bring up safety concerns for you? I mean the cheaper your kids go, it possibly means the car is less safe too. Older cars may not have things like stability control and such and maybe not as many air bags as cars of today. I think something like the chevy cruze comes with 10 airbags now?

Would you pitch in to make sure your kid gets a proper car? Cause half the time the beaters they end up buying is probably more unsafe than a newer car with more hp.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:53 PM
Registered 3.5L Member

Received 154 Likes on 137 Posts
Originally Posted by speedemon90

For those that are letting the kid buy their own car, I'm guessing that means your kid is buying a used car then. Does this not bring up safety concerns for you? I mean the cheaper your kids go, it possibly means the car is less safe too. Older cars may not have things like stability control and such and maybe not as many air bags as cars of today. I think something like the chevy cruze comes with 10 airbags now?

Would you pitch in to make sure your kid gets a proper car? Cause half the time the beaters they end up buying is probably more unsafe than a newer car with more hp.
Not the coolest car, but any parent can get their kid a used 1998 Volvo S70/V70 for relatively little money...these cars have more power (let alone the needed safety) than most kids will ever require
Old 04-12-2012, 01:08 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts

more air bags ≠ safer

I get your point that newer cars are generally safer, but pretty much any car from the mid '90s and on that's still on the road today will be safe enough. Of course I want them in a safe car but I don't want to buy them something that's so nice only to ultimately have it trashed a few years later. This is why I mentioned that I'd split it half/half as far as the car purchase part goes. At least that way I get some say in what they buy. No salvaged vehicles, no death traps, no speeding ticket bait. Or I can flat out say no, you're on your own.

The car I learned to drive on and my first RWD car (an LS1 Camaro) didn't have stability control. That and my mom's constant complaints about being too hard on the gas/brake pedal and turning too abruptly made me a smoother operator. Anti-lock brakes are a must IMO, but the fact that they cars didn't have a traction control system made me more of a careful driver.

Ultimately this leads back to my belief that people who spoil their cars with super-nice new cars either don't have the greatest parenting skills and/or are trying to make up for something (like a parent who isn't there enough but has a lot of money). If you go to a junior college you'll sometimes see fobs with super nice cars because their parents are overseas, and perhaps that's more motivation for them to do well in school. There's more to it than that, but yeah....
Old 04-12-2012, 01:13 AM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,048 Posts
^ Didn't have stability control? As in you got rid of the Camaro?

It's interesting seeing the different viewpoints of many members here.

But - The question was, how much horsepower do you give your kid?

I think 170-180 is good. Plenty for highway merging and a smooth-running car, but nothing to brag about. Part of what kept me out of trouble in my car is the fact that the horsepower wasn't a bragging point.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:38 AM

^I still have it, it's going away soon though. I hardly drive it now.

Power to weight ratio is more important.... 180 hp in a 2400 lb car is kinda wacky. 180 in a 3400 lb car is okay. 180 in a 4200 lb truck or SUV is dangerous.

Moreover, I think a truck or any vehicle with a high center of gravity is a bad choice for a first car. Goes with my thinking that stability control and various other electro-nannies encourages the "this vehicle will keep me safe, I can drive however I want" line of thought.... I've never seen a totaled Geo Metro before

My ideal first car for my kid would be a not-too-used 4-cylinder Camry/Accord or Civic/Corolla. If you're getting tickets in a car like that, I know they're a dumb ass and they're not getting what they really want. They're also decent cars, it's not like I'm getting them a beat up old Neon.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:48 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Costco
^I still have it, it's going away soon though. I hardly drive it now.

Power to weight ratio is more important.... 180 hp in a 2400 lb car is kinda wacky. 180 in a 3400 lb car is okay. 180 in a 4200 lb truck or SUV is dangerous.

Moreover, I think a truck or any vehicle with a high center of gravity is a bad choice for a first car. Goes with my thinking that stability control and various other electro-nannies encourages the "this vehicle will keep me safe, I can drive however I want" line of thought.... I've never seen a totaled Geo Metro before

My ideal first car for my kid would be a not-too-used 4-cylinder Camry/Accord or Civic/Corolla. If you're getting tickets in a car like that, I know they're a dumb ass and they're not getting what they really want. They're also decent cars, it's not like I'm getting them a beat up old Neon.
Car + First time driver(and if that a kid)= Dangerious.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:33 AM
Suzuka Master

No I disagree with Costco about tthe whole thing about not having stability will make you a better driver. Especially if you live in an area with bad weather stability would have to be present on my kids car.

Your theory may be correct about not having stability control may make you drive more carefully but that one instance another driver comes at you and your natural instinct is to dodge even if you are at speed. It is something you will wan that tech present on your child's car.

Also I think parents should sign their kids up for some defensive driving school.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:43 AM

No I disagree with Costco about tthe whole thing about not having stability will make you a better driver. Especially if you live in an area with bad weather stability would have to be present on my kids car.

Your theory may be correct about not having stability control may make you drive more carefully but that one instance another driver comes at you and your natural instinct is to dodge even if you are at speed. It is something you will wan that tech present on your child's car.

Also I think parents should sign their kids up for some defensive driving school.
Defensive driving school, I agree with.

Bad weather conditions? Get snow/rain-oriented tires... good tires will make more of an impact on overall safety in every aspect no matter than any electronic driving aid will. Anecdotal evidence is anecdotal evidence but having cars without traction control taught me to adapt my driving position, how to modulate the throttle and to maneuver a car gently instead of just manhandling the steering wheel left and right. And I still maintain that fewer driving aides will be more conducive to careful driving habits than otherwise.

and Gran Turismo and Forza taught me to steer the correspondingly correct way when I did manhandle the steering wheel in bad weather

Hypothetical situation: first time driver. Who makes a habit of checking their blind spot more often, the newbie driver who gets a car with a blind spot monitoring system or the newbie driver who gets a car with huge ass blind spots and no monitoring system?

Car + First time driver(and if that a kid)= Dangerious.
well okay... now that's true
Old 04-12-2012, 02:51 AM

It is definitely arguable that having driving aides and commonly optional safety equipment will keep you safer.... but I strongly feel that it won't make you a better driver if you're just starting off and learning
Old 04-12-2012, 04:44 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
My son's (now 21 y/o) first car was a 97 Honda Civic sedan 5MT. While it had a few miles, it was well built, still fairly reliable and helped to cultivate some respect for how to drive given its manual tranny. It wasn't until he moved on to the 2005 Altima 3.5SE that the traffic tickets started to flow.

My daughter's (now 20 y/o) first car was a 97 Honda Prelude 4AT....which she (thanks to her rebellious, IDGAF nature) promptly used as a pinball on public roads. Though she grew out of that behavior, the car still sits in the driveway (dead) as testament that whole ordeal. Thanks to her grandmother, her current car is a 138hp 2012 Hyundai Accent and so far, no incidents to report.

So in my case, keeping the the hp below 150hp was the better way to go.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:37 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Costco
It is definitely arguable that having driving aides and commonly optional safety equipment will keep you safer.... but I strongly feel that it won't make you a better driver if you're just starting off and learning
I feel that giving a son or daughter a crappy car as their first car does give them a sense of appreciation of what they have. 90's are still good reliable cars as they go through the same 5 point rating as today. If they have a car that breaks down all the time,it also teaches about learning about your car and taking care of it.maybe after showing some responsibility and proving to be a safe driver then, talk about getting a new or newer car. Kids today are being served on a silver spoon and dont know hardship.
Costco (04-12-2012)
Old 04-12-2012, 05:52 AM
Op is too busy to care

Received 913 Likes on 540 Posts
99 corolla from mommy and papi as first ride; appreciated the fuck out it, still love that car, appreciate the fuck out of my current car as well; no tickets to date!

Without parental assistance, I wouldnt have been able to afford a ride, dunno what would have happened had they not helped out with that.

Rather than worrying about horsepower and money (I dont think buying your own car necessarily has to be a prerequisite to appreciate it or know the value of money), teach your kids how to drive properly and respect others on the road...

soblem prolved.

disclaimer: i have no children/im baby
Old 04-12-2012, 09:00 AM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
OK so I can definitely post in this thread.

I have a 16 (soon to be 17) year old son who got his license last summer. Originally I was going to buy him a @$4K car that he should be able to drive for the next 6 years or so (at least thru college). But his grades were not where I expected them to be so I backed off that and let him drive my 2003 Avalanche for now. He's been driving it for almost a year now and so far we have had no issues (knocks on wood). Last month we put the 22's on it as he has proven that he doesn't curb rash the tires. He has a part time job at Red Lobster and he is responsible for the insurance, gas and maintenance. I have an agreement with him that if he can raise his GPA to 3.5, get at least a 29 on his ACT and not get any more C's then when he graduates I will contribute 50% of the cost of the vehicle he is going to buy. I want him to learn that life doesn't just hand you things, you actually have to work for it and as a result you will hopefully be more responsible and take care of your stuff.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:04 PM
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

...keep your child safe...

(As Big Al in the sitcom ALICE used to say... "the best DEFENSE is a good OFFENSE!")

-crisp
Old 04-12-2012, 10:23 PM
Senior Moderator

That was a retarded post
crispone (04-13-2012)
Old 04-12-2012, 10:40 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,145 Likes on 4,812 Posts
Old 04-13-2012, 05:51 AM
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
That was a retarded post

...as opposed to the highly intelligent one's that have preceded it...

-crisp
Old 04-13-2012, 10:15 AM
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
There are no slow cars anymore. Even if we don't consider them "fast", any modern day car can get up and move fast enough to get any inexperienced driver in trouble. I remember taking my aunt to get a car a few years ago, got a new Toyota Corolla, couldn't believe how quick those little shits are.

My parents never bought me a car, had to drive my dads Olds Cutlass Ciera around, now that was slow! I have two young sons, when the time comes, if i do get them a car they will be doing all of the house work!
Old 04-13-2012, 08:24 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,145 Likes on 4,812 Posts
Originally Posted by Rock2534
There are no slow cars anymore. Even if we don't consider them "fast", any modern day car can get up and move fast enough to get any inexperienced driver in trouble.

An Accord/Camry V6 will beat muscle cars from the 60s
Old 04-14-2012, 12:27 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by crispone
...as opposed to the highly intelligent one's that have preceded it...

-crisp
Better than something you posted.

Quick Reply: How many HP to give to your kid.