How can a car company truly be considered cream of the crop when...........

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 10:12 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How can a car company truly be considered cream of the crop when...........

How can a car company truly be considered cream of the crop when they build cars that aren't that reliable?

This is an interesting question I posed to myself yesterday, as I was looking over Consumerreports.org's listings for reliability on tons of cars.

Now i'll be the first to say that i'm a huge fan of BMW's. I love the way they look, feel, and move. But looking at those reliability ratings it was shocking to see how poorly many BMW's turn out. Some were pretty good, many were average, and some were really bad. The same goes for Mercedes, Audi, and Volkswagen.

We all know these companies are known for making beautiful cars, that are brilliantly engineered. But how can this opininion last over the years, when these car companies are clearly far from being among the most reliable? It's an interesting question to ponder. Are you really among the best when your cars seem to routinely have more problems than say an Acura, or Honda car?

In my opinion reliability is a big piece of the automotive genius at hand. Who gives a damn if you can make a brilliant machine, but it breaks down sooner than the other ones? What's even more ironic about all this, is that some of these most heavily respected auto makers also charge an arm and a leg for repairs to their unreliable cars.

So, let me know what you think. I'm curious to know where others come down on this topic.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:29 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 978 Likes on 330 Posts
because NO ONE can build a perfect product (esp, when you put them in the hands of the general public to use and maintain as they please). It's how they handle situations through warranty work, etc that shows if they are true cream of the crop.

My family has a lot of BMW's, and none have been problem free, but the service and care the dealers have given them is what makes them a great product.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:33 AM
Drifting

I'm no expert, but I assume it is harder to keep a luxury car working flawlessy than say a honda
Old 09-25-2006, 10:59 AM
Yeehaw

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by slayer202
I'm no expert, but I assume it is harder to keep a luxury car working flawlessy than say a honda

A fighter jet requires 4 hours of maintenance for every hour in the sky, something like that. I think its just the nature of the beast that a high technology high performance machine will require some labor and repair to keep it running smoothly.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:01 AM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
The theory killer is then why is a NSX more reliable than a Jetta?
Old 09-25-2006, 11:03 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BEETROOT

A fighter jet requires 4 hours of maintenance for every hour in the sky, something like that. I think its just the nature of the beast that a high technology high performance machine will require some labor and repair to keep it running smoothly.
I agree, and also with what clpower said.

IMHO- At the same time, Lexus, even though they have some issues, seems to maintain the best balance between reliabillity/dealer service etc. Thats why i would consider them cream of the crop over bmw/mercedes/audi
Old 09-25-2006, 11:05 AM
Yeehaw

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by GIBSON6594
because Jettas suck ass
Old 09-25-2006, 11:07 AM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
because Jettas suck ass
replace jetta with A4
Old 09-25-2006, 11:16 AM
On the way!

Jettas are built in Mexico. The NAFTA honeymoon is over when it comes to manufacturing. Many manufacturing companies are pulling out of Mexico because of labor and quality problems.

They are still doing well with engineering exportation - which is now a growing field. The average Mexican engineer earns about 1/7 of his American counterpart, and the quality gap doesn't tend to be there.

Last edited by fla-tls; 09-25-2006 at 11:18 AM.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:24 AM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Do you happen to have the link for this information? I'm writing a paper on brand reputation for my economics class and continually comment on BMW's poor reliability and would like to have some proof
Old 09-25-2006, 11:30 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by CLpower
because NO ONE can build a perfect product (esp, when you put them in the hands of the general public to use and maintain as they please). It's how they handle situations through warranty work, etc that shows if they are true cream of the crop.

My family has a lot of BMW's, and none have been problem free, but the service and care the dealers have given them is what makes them a great product.
Of course no one can build a perfect product. But it sure does seem that Honda knows how to build a machine that simply doesn't break as often as BMW, and Mercedes do. Then I simply refer you back to my original question as a follow up.

Second, it sounds like your response to me basically sounds like "Yeah, so BMW's, and Mercedes break more often then Hondas, but man do those BMW dealerships fix them well when they break.

What kind of an explanation is that when we're talking about the question I originally posed?

Originally Posted by slayer202
I'm no expert, but I assume it is harder to keep a luxury car working flawlessy than say a honda.
Ok, so how do you explain Lexus, and Ininiti's holding up better than BMW, and Mercedes?

Also, while I completely agree that BMW builds some amazing cars, the comparison between an Acura TSX, and a BMW 3 series, is not exactly the same as comparing an F-14 Tomcat to a Harley. Let's be realistic here folks.

BMWs are very highly tuned machines, but it's not like they operate at completely different levels than an Acura or Lexus. Also, isn't something inherantly flawed if you build it so technically complicated that it then breaks down more often? We're talking about commuter vehicles here. Not military aircraft that are asked to perform extraordinary tasks.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:42 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
do i dare to reply with my thoughts?
Old 09-25-2006, 11:44 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Sclass88
Do you happen to have the link for this information? I'm writing a paper on brand reputation for my economics class and continually comment on BMW's poor reliability and would like to have some proof
Unfortunately it doesn't allow me to cut and paste the info into this screen. But here is some basic info I can give you. Keep in mind the site requires a subscription fee to view this info.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In the category of "Upscale Cars" they are rated like this in reliability overall. 80 is a perfect score.

Lexus IS300 +70

Acura TSX +40

Acura TL +40

Lexus ES330 +40

Infiniti G35 +28

BMW 3-Series +1

Mercedes Benz C-Class -37 (No, that is not a typo. It's negative 37)

Saab 9-3 -75
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To clarify. If you got a score of (0), that would mean "average" reliability. Anything above that means better than that average, and below means below the average.

These are also just scores for one class of cars. Here are some others from BMW, and Mercedes though.

Lexus GS300 +78

Lexus LS430 +46

BMW 7-Series -48

BMW 5-Series (V8) -58

Mercedes Benz S-Class -60

Mercedes Benz E-Class Sedan -75
Old 09-25-2006, 12:18 PM
Yes it is!

You're assuming the public equates luxury with reliability. I think the majority of us here do, but we're car nuts. You average (stupid) person just wants something shiny with gadgets and a big badge to show off to the neighbors to let them know "they have arrived."
Old 09-25-2006, 12:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
well lets see here a $50K should be MUCH more reliable than a $26K one don't you think? But sadly this isn't the case.........
Old 09-25-2006, 01:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Not hours, cycles and you have to calculate in any peak performance... like afterburner.
Old 09-25-2006, 01:43 PM
The Boss

Talk about reliablilty... each company have recalls and problems of its own. It's all up to how great your dealership/corporation takes care of you when you need it most. I agree with CLPower on his comment.
My Acura is a great ride, but it rattles in the rear.. it can get annoying if I am anal about it. But then again, if my car runs smoothly, doesn't break down on me while I'm on the road.. I'm fine with minor problems.
After all, it's only a car!
Old 09-25-2006, 02:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
NSXs require a fair amount of maintnence, such as 30k mile valve adjustments.
Old 09-25-2006, 02:11 PM
Intermediate

This is where Lexus, Acura, and Infinity saw an opportunity and why they have been so successful. High-end cars have never been "reliable" due to the fact that they tend to be much more complicated and tend to include “cutting edge” technology which may not be fully tested. Lexus and Acura have tried to change this.

Buying a car is a very emotional decision, much more so than other things you get. Most people who buy a Mercedes / BMW / Jaguar are looking to make a statement, more than looking for reliable transportation. People who want reliability and luxury buy an Acura/Lexus at the cost of not making such a big statement as they would have had they bought a “cream of the crop”.

I even think that in some ways the fact that they are not reliable makes them more “exclusive” as it increases ownership cost putting them out of the reach of “regular” people.

4 years ago I tried to make a statement of my own by buying my first “luxury” vehicle, an Audi A4. I didn’t have a lot of money, so I bought it used with 40 k Miles. During the 6 months that I owned it, I had so many problems with it that I can not even remember (coil packs, timing belt tensioner, new transmission, etc… just to name a few). I finally decided to take my losses and buy a Toyota. After that I bought the TSX.

I have asked myself if I would ever buy an Audi again, and the answer is I would (they are very nice cars when they work), but not until I have enough money to not worry about wasting it away on repairs/depreciation.
Old 09-25-2006, 02:34 PM
Racer

I think the mindset in the luxury bracket is, "they are rich, they can afford it"

Now that's not to say that people with money aren't concerned about reliability, they are just more tolerant of it because it does not affect them as bad as someone living check per check.

People with money also tend to change cars more often so reliability, again, isn't a big issue.

I agree with you though, it doesn't make sense. The companies with the higher reliability (Lexus and Acura) aren't as highly regarded as those without the tank-like construction.
Old 09-25-2006, 02:38 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
Originally Posted by CLpower

The integra was a perfect car IMHO.
Old 09-25-2006, 03:11 PM
Advanced

If we dig a little deeper into this conversation I think it gets more interesting.

For example, as one of the posters above me mentioned, his Audi had problems with routine aspects of the car's mechanical parts. I also had an aunt who owned a BMW a few years ago, and she had routine car parts breaking on her car.

So, doesn't this sort of go against the arguement that these super high end auto makers make unreliable cars because they're just making incredibly cutting edge machines? If your air conditioning goes out on my BMW at 40,000 miles, I have a funny feeling it has nothing to do with some newfangled air conditioning technology. Catch my drift?

I know this isn't a question thats often asked. Thats why I started the thread. I've never seen such a discussion before. But I do think it's a topic worth discussing, as it seems to me that these "german engineered" cars, aren't exactly all they're cracked up to be sometimes. They look wonderful, and they drive wonderful when they work properly, but it seems clear to me that they don't really offer any true long term reliability. And when you're talking about machines being manufactured, what's really more important than reliability?

Last edited by Tigerriot; 09-25-2006 at 03:14 PM.
Old 09-25-2006, 04:00 PM
Instructor

this is a great topic to talk about. it is also worth commenting on reliability and resale value. I do not understand why, for example, the volvo XC90 has a terrible reliability rating but a high resale value. The same can be said about the BMW 3 series. I think corporate branding has a lot to do with it. I have also noticed that v-8 BMW's have poor reliability ratings. I am in the market for a TL-s/335i/g35/IS350, and all of these issues come into play.
Old 09-25-2006, 04:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,941 Likes on 14,057 Posts
Originally Posted by Tigerriot
If we dig a little deeper into this conversation I think it gets more interesting.

For example, as one of the posters above me mentioned, his Audi had problems with routine aspects of the car's mechanical parts. I also had an aunt who owned a BMW a few years ago, and she had routine car parts breaking on her car.

So, doesn't this sort of go against the arguement that these super high end auto makers make unreliable cars because they're just making incredibly cutting edge machines? If your air conditioning goes out on my BMW at 40,000 miles, I have a funny feeling it has nothing to do with some newfangled air conditioning technology. Catch my drift?

I know this isn't a question thats often asked. Thats why I started the thread. I've never seen such a discussion before. But I do think it's a topic worth discussing, as it seems to me that these "german engineered" cars, aren't exactly all they're cracked up to be sometimes. They look wonderful, and they drive wonderful when they work properly, but it seems clear to me that they don't really offer any true long term reliability. And when you're talking about machines being manufactured, what's really more important than reliability?
Well said.

That being said, I wonder if true performance, driveability, and enjoyment are mutually exclusive with reliability...? Is there one car that's all of those?
Old 09-25-2006, 04:30 PM
Senior Moderator

With leasing and finance rates these days, who really keeps cars that long anymore?

Those type of people who can afford these type of cars are most likely getting rid of them witnin 4 years anyways. Not everyone has reliablity first on their list when buying a car. I know i dont, why would I when car companies are offering 50k mile warranties.

For some, its
driving excitment > reliablity.

If i dont enjoy driving my car then whats the point of owning it?
Old 09-25-2006, 04:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Crazy Sellout
With leasing and finance rates these days, who really keeps cars that long anymore?

Those type of people who can afford these type of cars are most likely getting rid of them witnin 4 years anyways. Not everyone has reliablity first on their list when buying a car. I know i dont, why would I when car companies are offering 50k mile warranties.

For some, its
driving excitment > reliablity.

If i dont enjoy driving my car then whats the point of owning it?
So, in other words, you're complacent and money is of no importance to you...?
Old 09-25-2006, 04:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Yumchah
So, in other words, you're complacent and money is of no importance to you...?

Yes, im ok if somthing goes wrong as long as i enjoy DRIVING my car everyday.

I know everything is fixable, then again im not the type to run to the dealer to get somthing fixed if im out of warranty. I will try to fix it myself. Of course i know not everyone is like this. With the internet, parts are very cheap to get for any car. Labor is what kills it for most.

If you are under warranty then only thing you are wasting is your time. Time making it back and forth from the dealer. But since im young with no kids... im ok with doing that. Plus i get new cars to play with as loaners.

Better question is, why do we all run Windows when we know there are more reliable operating systems out there?
Old 09-25-2006, 04:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Yes, im ok if somthing goes wrong as long as i enjoy DRIVING my car everyday.

I know everything is fixable, then again im not the type to run to the dealer to get somthing fixed if im out of warranty. I will try to fix it myself. Of course i know not everyone is like this. With the internet, parts are very cheap to get for any car. Labor is what kills it for most.

If you are under warranty then only thing you are wasting is your time. Time making it back and forth from the dealer. But since im young with no kids... im ok with doing that. Plus i get new cars to play with as loaners.

Better question is, why do we all run Windows when we know there are more reliable operating systems out there?
So, you're saying your complacent...? Sorry...that's effectively what you're saying.

The O/S you're referring to is totally a different story. Unlike cars, the MS product more or less dominates the software/application market. Most business applications and even personal software are designed on the Windows platform. You don't have a choice really. Sure, you can go Linux-based or something else that's more stable, secure, and etc. But, good luck running a business on it...I wish some of the Employer's mission-critical apps would run on Linux or even Novell so I don't spend half my life overseeing patching and crap...but, not going to happen.

With cars, we apparently have choice. Of course, if you're deciding entirely on "excitement" of the ride, there really is none...but, again...why is reliability and "fun" mutually exclusive?
Old 09-25-2006, 04:48 PM
Senior Moderator

com·pla·cent (kəm-plā'sənt) pronunciation
adj.

1. Contented to a fault; self-satisfied and unconcerned: He had become complacent after years of success.

Yes, im not worried if somthing happens to the car. Its under warranty for now and can be fixed for free.

Am i getting the definition wrong?
Old 09-25-2006, 04:54 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
How can a car company truly be considered cream of the crop when they build cars that aren't that reliable?

This is an interesting question I posed to myself yesterday, as I was looking over Consumerreports.org's listings for reliability on tons of cars.

Now i'll be the first to say that i'm a huge fan of BMW's. I love the way they look, feel, and move. But looking at those reliability ratings it was shocking to see how poorly many BMW's turn out. Some were pretty good, many were average, and some were really bad. The same goes for Mercedes, Audi, and Volkswagen.

We all know these companies are known for making beautiful cars, that are brilliantly engineered. But how can this opininion last over the years, when these car companies are clearly far from being among the most reliable? It's an interesting question to ponder. Are you really among the best when your cars seem to routinely have more problems than say an Acura, or Honda car?

In my opinion reliability is a big piece of the automotive genius at hand. Who gives a damn if you can make a brilliant machine, but it breaks down sooner than the other ones? What's even more ironic about all this, is that some of these most heavily respected auto makers also charge an arm and a leg for repairs to their unreliable cars.

So, let me know what you think. I'm curious to know where others come down on this topic.
Points well made. I agree. I look for a lot of things in my personal driving machine and even in utility vehicles such as trucks, which is why I have a Ford Ranger pickup. Reliability rates high with me since I'm no different than anyone else.. I want something that works.

In March 2005, my wife's '96 328i BMW spent the last straw when its plastic water pump impeller destructed, leaving her stranded on the way to church. The next week, she had a new '05 TL automatic. She really liked her Bimmer, but I'm sure it was just the image. The thing loved to visit the shop on a regular basis, to the tune of over $8300 in the 6 years 3 months we owned it. And that's over and above "normal" things! Not that I'm sorry for another reason. Back when I had my 2000 SVT Contour, it would eat her Bimmer alive in the twisties (no surprise there), and equal it in a drag race. Her Bimmer was no contest for my '04 manual TL.

As for Volkswagons, such as the Pissant.. er Pissat. That thing is not even in the same league as the TL. We rented a brand new '05 Pissant last year for a wedding (didn't want to put our TLs in any jeopardy). While a very nice looking car, the handling was poor and the A/C was seriously lacking as was the sound system.

Frankly, three of the four Fords I've owned have been near perfection in terms of reliability. Two of them ('88 Mustang and a '96 Contour SE) were a ball to drive. The only other Honda product I've owned for myself was nothing to write home about. It was a 1994 Accord EX. I ditched it for the '96 Contour SE and was glad I did.

So quality and driving pleasure can come in many packages. As for my '04 manual TL (and my wife's '05 automatic TL), we are quite happy with them and I suspect they will be in our garage for a number of years.
Old 09-25-2006, 04:54 PM
Senior Moderator

com·pla·cent (kəm-plā'sənt) pronunciation
adj.

1. Contented to a fault; self-satisfied and unconcerned: He had become complacent after years of success.

Yes, im not worried if somthing happens to the car. Its under warranty for now and can be fixed for free.

Am i getting the definition wrong?
Nice choice of picking the SECOND definition on dictionary.com...I believe the way most people understand the word "complacent" is the following:

adjective 1. pleased, esp. with oneself or one's merits, advantages, situation, etc., often without awareness of some potential danger or defect

And mind you, I'm not trying to mock you in your commentary Jesal...but, I just find it rather surprising that a person like you, still single, and still living at home, has no qualms about how a product you've dumped a tonne of $$$ into is fine even if it's going to have problems...just because.

I would think that as you're trying to save for your future and etc. that you'd be more concerned...that's all.
Old 09-25-2006, 05:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Nice choice of picking the SECOND definition on dictionary.com...I believe the way most people understand the word "complacent" is the following:

adjective 1. pleased, esp. with oneself or one's merits, advantages, situation, etc., often without awareness of some potential danger or defect

And mind you, I'm not trying to mock you in your commentary Jesal...but, I just find it rather surprising that a person like you, still single, and still living at home, has no qualms about how a product you've dumped a tonne of $$$ into is fine even if it's going to have problems...just because.

I would think that as you're trying to save for your future and etc. that you'd be more concerned...that's all.

The car hasnt cost me a dime to maintain, didnt even have to pay for oil changes or brakes. I have not put any money into this car that i didnt want to.

I also am aware that things MAY go wrong, i dont expect anything to be perfect but if im taken care of (by dealer) then i can justify a car not being reliable.

Also for the record, my car has been reliable for 40k miles and i do plan on it staying that way for awhile. But in the back of my head... i know that things can go wrong. Hell, i had the same feeling when i had the Acura... whats wrong with being realistic? Oh and im not HAPPY if shit does break, if thats what you were getting at.

Plus my good buddy is an Audi tech, so i really dont worry about much.

Last edited by Crazy Bimmer; 09-25-2006 at 05:09 PM.
Old 09-25-2006, 05:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Why do you want an Aston Martin? You do know they arent reliable either... right?
Old 09-25-2006, 05:13 PM
Senior Moderator

The car hasnt cost me a dime to maintain, didnt even have to pay for oil changes or brakes. I have not put any money into this car that i didnt want to.

I also am aware that things MAY go wrong, i dont expect anything to be perfect but if im taken care of (by dealer) then i can justify a car not being reliable.

Also for the record, my car has been reliable for 40k miles and i do plan on it staying that way for awhile. But in the back of my head... i know that things can go wrong. Hell, i had the same feeling when i had the Acura... whats wrong with being realistic? Oh and im not HAPPY if shit does break, if thats what you were getting at.
Dude...that's great! But, for your example of how reliable your A4 has been, I can also point to two people I know who gave up their Audis (2002 A4 and TT respectively) cuz they were just sick of going back and forth to the dealership on issues.

And sure...there is absolutely nothing wrong with being realistic. But, if being realistic is meaning that a car I just spent $40K on is GOING to breakdown for various problems down the road, I think that's wrong. If I'm spending $40K on a car, I should ideally be thinking: "Gosh, this is going to last me awhile and I should be worry free as long as I follow the maintenance schedule and take good care of my car."

As opposed to: "Meh, I bought a $40K car and something'll likely die on it at some point. It's all good though."
Old 09-25-2006, 05:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Why do you want an Aston Martin? You do know they arent reliable either... right?
Oh, I know that.

But, if I'm THAT rich, I'm sure the fark going to be complacent. I'd be chuckling if my Ferrari caught fire too.
Old 09-25-2006, 05:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Oh i said MY audi was reliable, i didnt mention that all Audis are. Even i know plenty that have been terrible.
Old 09-25-2006, 05:17 PM
Senior Moderator

As opposed to: "Meh, I bought a $40K car and something'll likely die on it at some point. It's all good though."

Well if thats how i come off then thats wrong. Like anyone else i would get annoyed if somthing kept happening over and over with my car. That would ruin my driving experience. I havent had that experience of things breaking yet so i guess thats why im not bothered by it. Does that make sense?

Last edited by Crazy Bimmer; 09-25-2006 at 05:19 PM.
Old 09-25-2006, 05:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Oh i said MY audi was reliable, i didnt mention that all Audis are. Even i know plenty that have been terrible.
So...you essentially bought an Audi knowing that they are finicky...but based on the fact you know they are "fun-fun-yeehaw goodness"...?

Like I said...you're complacent.
Old 09-25-2006, 05:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Well if thats how i come off then thats wrong. Like anyone else i would get annoyed if somthing kept happening over and over with my car. That would ruin my driving experience. I havent had that experience yet so i guess thats why im not bothered by it. Does that make sense?
Sorry dude...that's how you came across as. But, if I misunderstood, I apologize.
Old 09-25-2006, 05:26 PM
Senior Moderator

So...you essentially bought an Audi knowing that they are finicky...but based on the fact you know they are "fun-fun-yeehaw goodness"...?

Like I said...you're complacent.

I bought an Audi because I enjoyed what it offered me, not based on what others told me or what some chart said in a magazine. If i did that then i would be in a lexus which im sure i would be bored out of my mind in. I took the risk and went for it and been happy since. Im dangerous like that.

Im going to enjoy my life the way i want to live it. If that makes me complacent, then by all means i am. As long as I have a warranty

Quick Reply: How can a car company truly be considered cream of the crop when...........