Good enough is OK . . .

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 06:25 PM
Dan
Safety Car

Received 220 Likes on 127 Posts
Good enough is OK . . .

This is just plain sad. Glad the Infiniti guys did not feel this way about the G37 Coupe I'm driving now.

http://www.autoextremist.com/
Old 12-15-2011, 06:33 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,102 Likes on 763 Posts
So, did you lose the Automotive News forum, where everyone else on AZ is bemoaning Acura's direction in several threads?
Old 12-15-2011, 06:34 PM

Received 5,912 Likes on 2,913 Posts
Those quotes (if legit) are not encouraging...not at all. "Advance" indeed Acura. Uggh.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:35 PM
Turd Polisher

Received 3,017 Likes on 1,515 Posts
This probably should be in this thread:

The Honda/Acura Versus The World Debate
Old 12-15-2011, 09:21 PM
Rooting for Acura

Received 1,765 Likes on 804 Posts
I don't agree with that commentary. Acura is not saying the "good enough is good enough". They are saying that "smart, conscious engineering it good enough".

I agree with this statement: "Some of these cars the average driver just can't control. We have been increasing performance beyond the ability of the driver, or we have complicated the driving process."

I like everything about Acura except the exterior styling. Interior: great, tech: great, performance: meh... but not bad, quality: good.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:51 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
I think it's more about targeting a market segment. You really can't be all things to all people. Acura has not really gone after certain segment leaders ever.

Honda has also mostly gone their own way. Sometimes it works out for them. Right now, not so much.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:52 PM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
I think Acura is saying it will focus on the actual driving feel of the vehicle instead of packing as much tech as possible into a boring car.

Kind of going back to its roots
Old 12-15-2011, 11:35 PM
Dan
Safety Car

Received 220 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by phee
I think Acura is saying it will focus on the actual driving feel of the vehicle instead of packing as much tech as possible into a boring car.

Heck, I would buy another one!
Old 12-16-2011, 06:59 AM
Rooting for Acura

Received 1,765 Likes on 804 Posts
One other thing I'd like to mention. When you do nothing for car enthusiasts, as a car company, you get boring; fast.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:21 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,115 Likes on 2,555 Posts
Originally Posted by knight rider
I don't agree with that commentary. Acura is not saying the "good enough is good enough". They are saying that "smart, conscious engineering it good enough".

I agree with this statement: "Some of these cars the average driver just can't control. We have been increasing performance beyond the ability of the driver, or we have complicated the driving process."

I like everything about Acura except the exterior styling. Interior: great, tech: great, performance: meh... but not bad, quality: good.
+1

Originally Posted by MR1
I think it's more about targeting a market segment. You really can't be all things to all people. Acura has not really gone after certain segment leaders ever.

Honda has also mostly gone their own way. Sometimes it works out for them. Right now, not so much.
+2

Originally Posted by phee

+3

Old 12-16-2011, 07:53 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by ttribe
Those quotes (if legit) are not encouraging...not at all. "Advance" indeed Acura. Uggh.
That's not what Ito or other Honda folks said, just the columnist view of their recent statements.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 12-16-2011 at 07:56 AM.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:39 AM

Received 5,912 Likes on 2,913 Posts
Originally Posted by Legend2TL
That's not what Ito or other Honda folks said, just the columnist view of their recent statements.
Huh? Here you go -

"Mike Accavitti, the former head of Dodge who became American Honda's vice president of marketing in August, describes the current luxury market as 'too much machine and not enough humanity. Our overweight bodies require overweight engines and more safety systems to protect them. Some of these cars the average driver just can't control. We have been increasing performance beyond the ability of the driver, or we have complicated the driving process.' "

"Gary Evert, division director for advanced automotive planning at Acura R&D, said, 'Technology is only as good as the driver. The vehicle almost always has more capability than the driver can handle. Anything outside the customer's understanding is waste.' "

"Sales chief Jeff Conrad insisted that Acura was returning to its original product philosophy, as reported by Rechtin, which revolves around elegant engineering and class-leading fuel economy. And that they would no longer pursue the best-in-class entries from the top-tier automakers."

"And Vicki Poponi, American Honda assistant vice president for product planning, added, 'Our engineering ego was getting in the way.' "

These were the quotes I was talking about. These indicate, to me anyway, that the powers that be are out of touch with why they aren't doing well in the market.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:36 AM
AZ Community Team

Oh I thought you meant the "Good enough is OK . . ." quote.

The quotes from the Acura marketing folks I found to be what I expected, nothing grandiose or tier-1 talk which I always thought was the wrong direction.

Some of what they said about the machines getting too complicated are true though. I've been to enough Lexus and MB driving events to know when the vehicles got too complicated and didn't enhance the driving.

Originally Posted by ttribe
Huh? Here you go -

"Mike Accavitti, the former head of Dodge who became American Honda's vice president of marketing in August, describes the current luxury market as 'too much machine and not enough humanity. Our overweight bodies require overweight engines and more safety systems to protect them. Some of these cars the average driver just can't control. We have been increasing performance beyond the ability of the driver, or we have complicated the driving process.' "

"Gary Evert, division director for advanced automotive planning at Acura R&D, said, 'Technology is only as good as the driver. The vehicle almost always has more capability than the driver can handle. Anything outside the customer's understanding is waste.' "

"Sales chief Jeff Conrad insisted that Acura was returning to its original product philosophy, as reported by Rechtin, which revolves around elegant engineering and class-leading fuel economy. And that they would no longer pursue the best-in-class entries from the top-tier automakers."

"And Vicki Poponi, American Honda assistant vice president for product planning, added, 'Our engineering ego was getting in the way.' "

These were the quotes I was talking about. These indicate, to me anyway, that the powers that be are out of touch with why they aren't doing well in the market.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:52 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally Posted by TylerT
This probably should be in this thread:

The Honda/Acura Versus The World Debate
Agreed. I don't think we need another of these topics.

Since I can't merge them as the timing of replies in here and in there would throw off the conversations... feel free to jump in there:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=839150