Is this a good bike deal???

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 05:10 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
since it's an f4i now, make sure the cct isn't busted
and if you plan on getting (some known problems):
gsxr's- there's something wrong with them at start up. my friend's 05 sometimes doesn't start up right away.
05 r6- coolant leak problem
03 cbr600rr- no heat shield on rectifier i think so it overheats
gsxrs- they're eh
zx6r- kawi green
f4i- 04 and 05 has the banana seat

that should get you on your way if you consider other bikes.

i got an astar tz-1 jacket, astar 05 supertech boots, arai corsair nicky hayden, and gap jeans for 800 bucks, all brand new. just gotta wait for the deals.

my advice personally, after starting out on a 91 fzr600 and now riding an 04 cbr600rr, start on a sv650s, 03+. god, i wish i had one of those for track with gsxr1000 forks and brakes...
Old 10-18-2005, 07:27 AM
Luke 1:37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, it looks like there may be a buyer for the f4i that I was looking at. Its pending for a Wednesday pickup. Funny thing is that while I was researching Ebay for prices, I ran into this guys username. He has 95 positive feedback which is nice to know. Well, he did say that he does have other bikes, so I told him that I'll consider CBRs, ZX6Rs, or R6s. We'll see what he has to offer. In the meantime, here's another one that I'm looking into. What do you guys think?

See pics. Bike is in mint condition. Always garaged. Just over 7700 miles.
Bike has full Yoshimura exhaust (not slip-on)

Also, have over 1K dollars worth of after market accessories, most of which is brand new in the box still. I can supply most of the receipts as well. The accessories are:

LP Light Smoke Windscreen
Custom made flushmount turn signals
Stock 02 undertail (for 02 undertail conversion). Also have 01-02 battery box to make installation even easier. (Also, have detailed instructions on how to do the conversion)
Integrated rear turn signal kit
Shogun frame sliders
Shogun bar ends
HJC Large Helmet & Alpinestars Gloves
Bike cover
If you want to buy the bike w/o the parts, than I'll sell it for 4K. Must see. Email me for more details.

I'm very interested in a used 4WD SUV if anyone wants to make some sort of trade. I need one for business purposes. Thanks.

Old 10-18-2005, 07:34 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Make sure the frame is ok. Check the welds. Make sure it has not been dropped. My friend bought an R6 used, had a hairline crack in the frame.
Old 10-18-2005, 08:00 AM

Well, the guy only has the CBRs for sale that I mentioned before but he does have this for sale:

got a bad ass 2001 rc51 custom silver with 10k i will sell for what i paid $5100. got it to ride until the end of this week since my friend is here from italy. worth at least 6k i will move it for $5100 firm with the stock pipes - sent a pic!

Obviously way too much bike for me to handle. If anyone is interested, I can forward you his contact info.
Old 10-18-2005, 01:10 PM
Rooting for Acura

Received 1,767 Likes on 806 Posts
The RC 51 That right their is one fast scooter. Sounds great right out of the box. I like these bikes a lot. The front end is a little smashed in looking but I've seen one of these things in action and all I can say is

There is the 1000rr and then there is the RC51 1000.
Old 10-18-2005, 01:25 PM

Its looking like I'll be checking out the red R6 above this weekend sometime. It would be $4000 for the bike, Helmet, Gloves and Bike Cover. It has less miles than the previous R6 that I was looking at and hopefully it'll be in much better shape. Oh shoot, I should ask about the tires and see how much wear is on them.
Old 10-18-2005, 04:34 PM
Rooting for Acura

I like that bike too. I almost got a blue/white one before I saw my bike.

Good call on checking the tires. If they are worn you could probably negotiate the price down a little. Call your local dealership parts dept and ask how much front/rear tires are for that bike. Should be in the neighborhood of 120 - 150 each + labor. If the tires are worn ask the seller to subtract at least half (or all of) your tire / labor cost.

He'll probably refuse, but ask like you expect a discount.
Old 10-18-2005, 04:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
I am beginning to smell a rat... his prices are way too low for these bikes.

A RC even at that age is cheap....

Kick the tires a bit harder before you buy, would be my 2 cents....
Old 10-18-2005, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Eggplant-EX
I am beginning to smell a rat... his prices are way too low for these bikes.

A RC even at that age is cheap....

Kick the tires a bit harder before you buy, would be my 2 cents....
The CBRs is from the guy who is a wholesaler. I don't think I'm going to purchase from him but I may go check them out. He has 2 CBRs left. Both 2001s and over 15,000 miles. I believe they're both going for $4200. I don't really like the fact that they're over 15,000 miles so I'm looking more at the 99 R6 though I'm not sure I like the fact that its not fuel injected unlike the CBRs that do. What are people's opinions on fuel injection and carborator?
Old 10-18-2005, 07:34 PM
Rooting for Acura

EFI > Carbs

1. automatic fuel delivery at start-up. (no choke or hesistant cold starts)
2. more efficient fuel delivery during riding. (makes for better throttle response)
3. never have to re-jet when doing performance upgrades. (I don't think you have to do one ror an aftermarket pipe though)
Old 10-18-2005, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by knight rider
EFI > Carbs

2. more efficient fuel delivery during riding. (makes for better throttle response)
3. never have to re-jet when doing performance upgrades. (I don't think you have to do one ror an aftermarket pipe though)
Interesting...so I'm wondering if I should pass on the R6 and keep looking for a newer bike that has FI. What do you guys think? I mean, I'll only be riding the bike during Spring, Summer and Fall, so will I really have issues with cold start?
Old 10-18-2005, 08:41 PM
Racer

Hey Bong! Bikes are great. I've been riding for 37 years and still intact. Crotchrockets are great but I'd get something smaller and cheap until you learn. Sportbikes are very unforgiving. If you do, definately wear a helmet and leather and DO get frame sliders. It's a cheap investment that will save big $$ if you lay it down. (voice of experience) Hell, if you really want to kill yourself, buy a 1000. Goodluck my friend and be careful.
Old 10-18-2005, 08:50 PM

The bike that I'll be looking at has frame sliders if I want that hasn't been installed yet. Maybe I'll have him include it if I do end up purchasing it. Supposedly there is a ding on the exhaust and a crack on the frame. I'll see how bad it is on Saturday. It also comes with Helmet and gloves so all I'll need is a good jacket.

Great pic Dave!
Old 10-18-2005, 10:55 PM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
fuck it bong... buy new sv650s
Old 10-19-2005, 01:05 AM
Adventurist.

Received 58 Likes on 22 Posts
I would never accept another person's helmet only because I feel that if they dropped it, you can't tell.

I think maybe the choice of bikes is fair, with experience.

Like Knight said, I would go EFI over Carbs anyday. Rejetting, shimming, and adjusting your carbs after every upgrade is a PITA.

Shit, if you want cheap (compared to others)... get a sv1000s...
Old 10-19-2005, 03:04 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by NiteQwill
I would never accept another person's helmet only because I feel that if they dropped it, you can't tell.

I think maybe the choice of bikes is fair, with experience.
+1
Old 10-19-2005, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Teh Jatt
fuck it bong... buy new sv650s
Is this what you want me to get?

So there's no way to check for the helmet being cracked? Wouldn't the paint be cracked?

What do people do if the bike they purchase is far away and the seller won't ride it up to where you'll store it? I'm thinking this may be too much of a hassle for me to purchase something now since I don't know how to ride yet. Should I wait until Spring?
Old 10-19-2005, 08:26 AM
Rooting for Acura

The SV is a tall bike. If you are vertically challenged in any way don't get it. The one in the picture actually has fairings and a rear seat cowl on it (which the bike does not come with). The one in the picture is but a stocker is not good looking at all.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:35 AM

The SV is a tall bike. If you are vertically challenged in any way don't get it. The one in the picture actually has fairings and a rear seat cowl on it (which the bike does not come with). The one in the picture is but a stocker is not good looking at all.

It definitely looks tall. I'm 5'10" and when I sat on the R6 and ZX6Rs, I was only able to get my tippy toes down.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:23 AM
Adventurist.

Received 58 Likes on 22 Posts
Yes, it is a tall bike.

Fairings? Who needs fairings? Naked is the way to go
Old 10-19-2005, 09:25 AM

So I've been rethinking this whole bike thing, I'm thinking I should go with an older bike to learn with, so I don't go crazy if I drop the damn thing. This is what I'm looking at now:

1990 Honda CBR 600F - $1900

Looking for a quick sale on my 1990 Honda CBR 600F - Moving to San Diego.
VERY FAST bike, well-maintained, clean title.
Includes Sears battery charger, Krypto wheel lock, spare keys, owners manual, and small factory tool kit.

Shoot me an email if you would like to come take a look.

I'm going to try to get him to lower it to $1500 cash in hand

Old 10-19-2005, 10:50 AM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
yup thats my bike..... get it get it get it

Originally Posted by virtualbong
Is this what you want me to get?

So there's no way to check for the helmet being cracked? Wouldn't the paint be cracked?

What do people do if the bike they purchase is far away and the seller won't ride it up to where you'll store it? I'm thinking this may be too much of a hassle for me to purchase something now since I don't know how to ride yet. Should I wait until Spring?
Old 10-19-2005, 11:53 AM
Team ABP member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
EFI > Carbs

knight rider I do agree with you on your first point, however the other two points are questionable. Carbs are much easier to tune, so really you can better fine-tune the bike for efficent fuel delivery. And generally the major two performance upgrades ppl do are air filters and full exhaust systems. Which whether the bike is FI or carb'ed require fuel delivery changes (ie jetting or PC). To the average rider he/she wont really notice the difference between the two.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:57 AM
Team ABP member

Wil: going with an older bike is a good safe choice. You can still get yourself in trouble, but the bikes tend to forgive your errors alot more. At the same time going with a modern 600cc bike (99-up) can be alright as long as you are cautious and respect the throttle. It comes down to two things: the $$ you have to spend and how comfortable you feel with getting an older bike vs a newer bike.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by sxlova07
Wil: going with an older bike is a good safe choice. You can still get yourself in trouble, but the bikes tend to forgive your errors alot more. At the same time going with a modern 600cc bike (99-up) can be alright as long as you are cautious and respect the throttle. It comes down to two things: the $$ you have to spend and how comfortable you feel with getting an older bike vs a newer bike.
You're making it tough on me. I'm thinking more towards the older bike now because I want to start riding now. And since my bro has his older bike too, we could learn/practice/ride together. The guy isn't going to be around this weekend to test ride it but he says he has people coming to check it out next week so I may not be able to get him down to $1500. So do you guys think $1900 is a ripoff? Or should I just go for the $4000 R6 and finance part of it?
Old 10-19-2005, 12:55 PM
Rooting for Acura

Originally Posted by virtualbong
So do you guys think $1900 is a ripoff? Or should I just go for the $4000 R6 and finance part of it?
It depends on how you feel about your chances of dropping it. If you drop the R6 you're going to be more upset than if you dropped the 600F.

$1900 may be right. Older bikes usually sell around that range, but he probably doesn't own anything on it so "cash in hand" is "cash in his hand" so he might go for it.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:01 PM
Rooting for Acura

Originally Posted by sxlova07
knight rider I do agree with you on your first point, however the other two points are questionable. Carbs are much easier to tune, so really you can better fine-tune the bike for efficent fuel delivery. And generally the major two performance upgrades ppl do are air filters and full exhaust systems. Which whether the bike is FI or carb'ed require fuel delivery changes (ie jetting or PC). To the average rider he/she wont really notice the difference between the two.
I don't know. I have a Yoshimura Tri-oval and a K&N filter and I never had to tweek anything. Either way, you're right, an average rider wont notice, especially if they never rode the bike they don't have (FI / Carb'ed).
Old 10-19-2005, 01:08 PM
Team ABP member

I don't know. I have a Yoshimura Tri-oval and a K&N filter and I never had to tweek anything. Either way, you're right, an average rider wont notice, especially if they never rode the bike they don't have (FI / Carb'ed).
You have a slip-on which dont really require you to jet/pc a bike. Although you might yeild a better acceleration curve by re-mapping your bike since you have a slip-on and filter (btw BMC filters are better than k&n).
Old 10-19-2005, 02:59 PM
Burning Brakes

99 R6 is an awesome starter bike.
I bought mine back in 02 with about 6000 miles on it. I paid $6300 for it ... i think.

Found the guy locally thru cycletrader.com
Mine was also Blue / silver and the best part were the Wheels on the bike .. they are alloy and jus looked really clean. I think startin 2000, they started painting the wheels black.

i truly enjoyed it for the whole 4 months i had it for, TILL i got into an accident and got it totalled.

BUY A NEW HELMET ... u cant tell if a helmet is good or not if it has been dropped even once .. and u dont want to risk it. A new one is like $300 from SHOEI. It will match the bike toooo

So BE careful and enjoy it in good health
Old 10-19-2005, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by anokha786
99 R6 is an awesome starter bike.
I bought mine back in 02 with about 6000 miles on it. I paid $6300 for it ... i think.

Found the guy locally thru cycletrader.com
Mine was also Blue / silver and the best part were the Wheels on the bike .. they are alloy and jus looked really clean. I think startin 2000, they started painting the wheels black.

i truly enjoyed it for the whole 4 months i had it for, TILL i got into an accident and got it totalled.

So BE careful and enjoy it in good health
Great starter bike and then you had to end it with...I got into an accident and totalled it, LOL

I think I'm still going to go check out the red one this weekend even though its $4000.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:16 PM
Missing my Acura's

Will go with the R6 Im a yamaha man, And have never had second thoughts about it. And now we all are into bikes i think we should be hooking up for a ride right guys.(terry,Will)
Old 10-19-2005, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by REDLINEN
Will go with the R6 Im a yamaha man, And have never had second thoughts about it. And now we all are into bikes i think we should be hooking up for a ride right guys.(terry,Wil)
My bro and I will definitely go out for rides next spring (when I've got a lot of practice in). I also have some other friends who probably would ride with us too. I just need to figure out how I would transport the bike I purchase back to my bro's house...
Old 10-19-2005, 03:25 PM
Suzuka Master

the 1990 Honda CBR 600F is a smart move at that price. Buy it, learn and when you are ready, graduate to a faster bike. Make sure you do the MSF class to get your endorsement and find a seasoned rider to give you some lessons on the road....

If you get the Honda for any where between $1,500 to $1,900, you can resell at a mininal loss.

Good choice!!
Old 10-19-2005, 07:31 PM

the 1990 Honda CBR 600F is a smart move at that price. Buy it, learn and when you are ready, graduate to a faster bike. Make sure you do the MSF class to get your endorsement and find a seasoned rider to give you some lessons on the road....

If you get the Honda for any where between $1,500 to $1,900, you can resell at a mininal loss.

Good choice!!
Very good point! I probably would only lose a minimal amount if I resell it in the Spring. I wanted to check it out this week, but the guy can't show it until next week. I want to start practicing now! LOL
Old 10-19-2005, 07:47 PM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,197 Likes on 695 Posts
I have an 04 R6 and love it. As for the 99 i would try to get to about 3500 or so and def. get a new helmet like the others said. The fit is a very important thing and they are made to mold to your head after some use Good luck with it
Old 10-19-2005, 07:59 PM

Well, I have found the PERFECT bike for me. Here it is:

1993 Kawasaki Ninja EX500 - $1675

just hit 10k miles. I was planning on driving it until Christmas, but i just broke my hand. I work in Cambridge, so it helped my parking situation. I don't have health insurance, so i need to let this go. Starts right up, ready to ride. Great for a first bike, or as a comuter bike. It has enough power to keep you intersted, but it sits low and is very comfortable. Maybe not the most desirable color, but i didnt mind it. It was laid down prior to me, on the right side, and the scratches show red. Other than that, its a great running bike. I will include a lock and cover so make me an offer. I might include the helmet if its needed and the price is right.

I am going to try to get it down to $1500. I'm really excited about this. It was just posted this evening, so I'm hoping I'm the first one to contact him. Another great thing is that he lives in the same town as my brother and where my bro and I work. So this is a sign from God, LOL Hopefully by tomorrow night, I'll have a bike

Old 10-19-2005, 08:11 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,860 Likes on 2,580 Posts
nice and now you can keep the tsx too.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
nice and now you can keep the tsx too.
LOL, I just posted in the TSX forum about that. I'm going to test drive the Civic coupe to see how I like it. Probably do that this weekend sometime. I'll most likely be very disappointed in it and slap myself for even thinking about it. Right now, my focus is on buying this bike
Old 10-19-2005, 08:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Not sure, but I think the CBR 600 is a better machine..
Old 10-19-2005, 09:14 PM

Not sure, but I think the CBR 600 is a better machine..
That is true, but it would be a hassle waiting for the guy to find a time for me to check it out and then getting it back to my bro's place would be a major hassle. I'll have to see. It just seems perfect that the guy is in the same town and he just emailed me back telling me that he would sell it for $1500 unless someone wants it for $1750 before tomorrow. I won't be keeping this bad boy anyways, its strictly a bike for me to learn with. My main goal is to get a R6 or CBR.

Quick Reply: Is this a good bike deal???