Going to Car Auction

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 07:25 AM
who is your daddy?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Going to Car Auction

I am going to get another car. I am going to a car auction with a dealer I know. What do you guys recommend I should do. I am thinking about buying carfax unlimited reports for $29.99 and call someone from there to check on cars that are in the auction. I don't know what else I could do other than that and checking the car myself. Any tips?
Old 06-19-2007, 08:19 AM
I now drive an accord....

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1 suggestion.... Don't do it

My mom just bought an accord at an auction and it was a horrible experience. The auction rapes you with fee's and you are there forever with the paper work afterwards. The car looked decent on the lot, but after we drove it home and REALLY inspected it we found out all the work we had to put into it. All things we would have known if we could have driven the car first. All in all you don't really save much if anything at the auction and you could get a real POS
Old 06-19-2007, 11:22 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 196 Likes on 99 Posts
Is it a dealer auction or public auction? Some dealer only auctions have guidelines in place where declarations have to be made if the vehicle requires any major repairs or has had any damage history. You mentioned you will be attending with a friend who is a dealer, so perhaps it is this type of auction. If its a public auction I would be somewhat leery of most of the vehicles present. Not to say you couldn't find a good one, but you'd have to do your homework. Any way to see the vehicles beforehand? Check out the ones you have an interest in closely and record the serial numbers? Once you have the serial numbers you can do more of an in depth investigation.

Terry
Old 06-19-2007, 11:34 AM
lurker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by teranfon
Is it a dealer auction or public auction? Some dealer only auctions have guidelines in place where declarations have to be made if the vehicle requires any major repairs or has had any damage history. You mentioned you will be attending with a friend who is a dealer, so perhaps it is this type of auction. If its a public auction I would be somewhat leery of most of the vehicles present. Not to say you couldn't find a good one, but you'd have to do your homework. Any way to see the vehicles beforehand? Check out the ones you have an interest in closely and record the serial numbers? Once you have the serial numbers you can do more of an in depth investigation.

Terry
My wife is a dealer. The dealer auctions are regulated by state. If a car is a buy back (lemon), or a demo vehicle, or previous rental, that has to be declared. Also, things like water damage and salvaged title have to be declared. Law requires that automotive dealers provide consumers with that information - or at least in CA.

Dealer auction is the best way to get a pre-owned vehicle, hands down! If you have a dealer friend, you may even be able to pick something up that's out of your cash allowance range and finance it through his/her store....they'll make a few bucks off the financing and they don't have to worry about all the extra investment to prep the car for their lot.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:55 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SoCal_S60R
My wife is a dealer. The dealer auctions are regulated by state. If a car is a buy back (lemon), or a demo vehicle, or previous rental, that has to be declared. Also, things like water damage and salvaged title have to be declared. Law requires that automotive dealers provide consumers with that information - or at least in CA.

Dealer auction is the best way to get a pre-owned vehicle, hands down! If you have a dealer friend, you may even be able to pick something up that's out of your cash allowance range and finance it through his/her store....they'll make a few bucks off the financing and they don't have to worry about all the extra investment to prep the car for their lot.
Absolutely!!! Dealer Auctions are the way to go if you know someone in the business. I bought my 2004 MDX, and 2003 CL-S through dealer auctions and saved thousands of $$$$.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:04 AM
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
My cousin is a dealer. I got my last two cars, including my CL, through the Manheim Auto Auction which is the largest dealer auction in the country IIRC. It was a great experience, the car turned out great, and I saved a good chunk of change too. If its a dealer auction, I wouldn't worry about Carfax reports.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:59 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Public Auctions are ripoffs ... It's a great way to spend too much money on a car that's iffy.

If it's a dealer auction then I agree with everyone else