Giving up the M3 - what do I get now?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 09:11 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Snow tires?

Originally Posted by YuppieCL
I think that's exactly the case. Yes, pretty pathetic.

Nonetheless, I've decided to defer the decision to get rid of the car until it becomes an issue again. We've been on VERY shaky ground lately - plenty of it has to do with me, so I'm simply being overly cautious with what I do in the relationship.

I actually wanted to get rid of the car after last week. Check out this pic.

This was from last Friday's snow storm. I had a 10am appointment in North Jersey that ran later than expected. This was the accumulation by 1 or 2. I would have normally stayed home with snow, but my original intent was to shoot back home right after the appointment to beat the storm. Ended up staying the night at a hotel.
Old 12-26-2008, 01:10 AM
The hair says it all

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think that's exactly the case. Yes, pretty pathetic.

Nonetheless, I've decided to defer the decision to get rid of the car until it becomes an issue again. We've been on VERY shaky ground lately - plenty of it has to do with me, so I'm simply being overly cautious with what I do in the relationship.

This was from last Friday's snow storm. I had a 10am appointment in North Jersey that ran later than expected. This was the accumulation by 1 or 2. I would have normally stayed home with snow, but my original intent was to shoot back home right after the appointment to beat the storm. Ended up staying the night at a hotel.
I'm glad you reconsidered. It isn't a great time to sell and that car does seat 4. Cheap steel wheels with snow tires will make a rwd do quite well in winter especially if you have a limited slip.
Old 12-26-2008, 06:22 AM
Changin bulbs since '73

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Dude....who told you to run on your 19's in the winter? Your asking for trouble. We have been in the same shit for the last 3 weeks and i am driving around pretty good. I think i would be doing even better if I hadn't gotten such a wide rear winter tire...but I am still OK.
Being on shaky ground......
I know we have never met but you always seem like a real nice guy....i think your "marital" ore premarital as the case maybe, problems have WAAAAY more to do than the car.
Marriage is serious shit don't be "blinded by love" if you know what I mean. It is not about control, if that is the game you guys are playing your screwed.
Old 12-26-2008, 07:49 AM
hates the winter

Get rid of her, and get some hot new ass with the M3.
Old 12-26-2008, 07:53 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
That wasn't you that I saw stuck on 280 on Friday was it?
Old 12-26-2008, 12:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts
Check out this pic.
F-ck that m3 is teh sex. Glad you are reconsidering your decision all things considered. You seem like a cool guy so i hope everything works out as far as the car and lady go.
Old 12-29-2008, 04:06 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by mclarenf3387
That wasn't you that I saw stuck on 280 on Friday was it?
Naw... That was on Rt 17 up near Ramsey. I pulled into a hotel lot around noon.

I think the rear differential "froze" overnight since the car felt like it was driving sideways halfway home. Big time wheel shimmy too. Corrected itself by the time I got home.

Driving a borrowed 96 Camry for the winter now.
Old 12-29-2008, 04:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
This thread reminds me of my experience over the weekend.

Buddy and I went car shopping since he wanted to dump his jetta with 90k miles. Anyways, he found a Lancer GTS and buys it.

Takes it home and his girlfriend of 4 years is pissy, even though she said it was ok. So then he takes the car to his GF's parents house where her dad just rags on the car. Saying how it looks like it was in an accident and how the engine is making weird sounds.

Of course my buddy is all nervous and calls me. I told him to relax and the car is fine. Carfax was clean and i looked at every panel of the car. Plus it was a freaking 2008 GTS with 14k miles!

We came to the conclusion that they are all pissy since he bought a new car instead of buying his GF a ring. Poor guy cant even enjoy the first "newish" car hes ever bought himself.

Yuppie, good luck man.
Old 12-29-2008, 04:43 PM
on to the next one...

Your priorities are fine, it's just the order in which you made your purchases that's the problem!

Here's my order of purchases in the last 48 months and everything is shaping up nicely:

1 - House (pretty much got what I wanted in a house since it was before we were engaged)
2 - Engagement ring
3 - Wedding
4 - HER car first
5 - Now shopping for my car.
Since she now has what she wants, I can pretty much buy anything I want at this point.

Seriously though, and not to be a dick, but if your relationship is "shaky" over something like this, I would question it's strength. If she's gonna marry you expecting that you're going to change (or vice verse) it's gonna be a long marriage leading to a painful divorce.
Old 12-29-2008, 04:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazy Acura
This thread reminds me of my experience over the weekend.

Buddy and I went car shopping since he wanted to dump his jetta with 90k miles. Anyways, he found a Lancer GTS and buys it.

Takes it home and his girlfriend of 4 years is pissy, even though she said it was ok. So then he takes the car to his GF's parents house where her dad just rags on the car. Saying how it looks like it was in an accident and how the engine is making weird sounds.

Of course my buddy is all nervous and calls me. I told him to relax and the car is fine. Carfax was clean and i looked at every panel of the car. Plus it was a freaking 2008 GTS with 14k miles!

We came to the conclusion that they are all pissy since he bought a new car instead of buying his GF a ring. Poor guy cant even enjoy the first "newish" car hes ever bought himself.

Yuppie, good luck man.

for shit sake, it's not like he went out and bought a $70k BMW.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:17 PM
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
dear god, just marry the car. I think BMW's reliability is better than the chance of having a successful marriage. Secondly the M3's depreciation isn't as bad either.

In all seriousness, you guys need some perspective, look at my sig and I'm married. Some of you guys have it real good. It's just funny to sit here and read these replies, here I felt selfish for buying the 11yr old CL right before the wedding. Not that I'm bitching, but you could have worse decisions to make. If you're not going to be happy with the decision than it wasn't the right choice, because a yr or two down the road, when the first kid is coming, you'll be kicking yourself for selling a car like that. If it didn't mean so much, you wouldn't be asking us.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:51 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where's Dr. Phil when you need him?
Old 12-30-2008, 09:19 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
:ibmovetoD&R:
Old 12-30-2008, 01:05 PM
Instructor

I feel ya dude

RWD sports car + 19's + sport tires = no fun in snow

I was out to a party during the storm, and I had my G valet'd.. the idiots left the car in a uncleaned, snow and ice covered street, which was also a 30 degree incline...

Needless to say, 40 minutes later and 5 people pushing my car I was able to get it up the hill and be on my way home
Old 12-30-2008, 01:59 PM
Racer

Sounds like a wise decision. Work through whatever other issues you're having first as I have to agree it doesn't sound like it's just about the car or about the car at all. Selling the car now might also cause you to resent her while you're trying to work on things. Good luck.
Old 12-30-2008, 02:25 PM
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by mreh
I feel ya dude
I was out to a party during the storm, and I had my G valet'd.. the idiots left the car in a uncleaned, snow and ice covered street, which was also a 30 degree incline...

Needless to say, 40 minutes later and 5 people pushing my car I was able to get it up the hill and be on my way home
we're not all idiots I've got to valet for a 600+ head party tomorrow night, I'm really really not looking forward to it, 8 degrees. Especially since I have to work with guy that hands off any car worth over 30k, because he's scared to drive it, sounds great at first, till he backs up the line of cars to the road, because the aston martin is scary