AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   Car Talk (https://acurazine.com/forums/car-talk-5/)
-   -   General Car Talk Discussion Thread (https://acurazine.com/forums/car-talk-5/general-car-talk-discussion-thread-832939/)

oonowindoo 07-25-2019 01:31 PM

Gas has been over $4 (91) for a while now here.... Meh... YOLO!!!

SamDoe1 07-25-2019 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Costco (Post 16458742)
Are there twisty, fun roads the drive on in your area? IMO you wouldn't really make use of all the STI's go-fast-around-corners bits if you're just slogging it around in the snow and in traffic. Plus the WRX will get better gas mileage on top of being more affordable.

I also would not hold out hope for the STI getting an FA-based powerplant. I definitely don't think it is a question of if gas goes back up to $4-4.50, but rather, when.

A lot of the reviews I've read have said the STi isn't worth it over the WRX. My friend has an STi and it rides like a freight train compared to the Golf.

Originally Posted by oonowindoo (Post 16458744)
Gas has been over $4 (91) for a while now here.... Meh... YOLO!!!

I filled up with premo for $2.71 yesterday. :tongue:

oonowindoo 07-25-2019 01:39 PM

I can't even remember when was the last time we had 91 for under $3.50....i am trying very hard to remember... Nope...

kurtatx 07-25-2019 03:49 PM

Anyone ever rented with National Executive status? Wondering what to expect when I'm out in Vancouver for the week.

oonowindoo 07-25-2019 04:11 PM

You renting a car in Vancouver? I hope it is for work, cuz if not, i hope you are ready to get raped by their parking fees.

Costco 07-25-2019 05:42 PM

Toyota Mega Cruiser

Was reading about an H1 on reddit - turns out they are awful vehicles. Randomly read about portal axles, then I found out about this:

https://www.autotrader.com/car-video...81474979881194

This is incredibly cool and I want one. Still was very impressed when I personally witnessed an H1 destroyed any obstacle that was thrown at it with ease. Except narrow trails :rofl:

kurtatx 07-25-2019 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by oonowindoo (Post 16458853)
You renting a car in Vancouver? I hope it is for work, cuz if not, i hope you are ready to get raped by their parking fees.

I have a place to park it. I'm actually going to be up in Whistler and then going to Seattle for a while.

Yumcha 07-25-2019 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by kurtatx (Post 16458906)
I have a place to park it. I'm actually going to be up in Whistler and then going to Seattle for a while.

Ooo...PM me if you need food ideas in Vancouver, sir. :cheers:

It's great there.

nist7 07-26-2019 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by kurtatx (Post 16458836)
Anyone ever rented with National Executive status? Wondering what to expect when I'm out in Vancouver for the week.

@kurtatx Check this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/nati...rs-yvr-19.html

I've been a National Executive Elite for over 2 years now. And depending on the time/day, you can have a horrid selection (sea of Nissan Altimas/Rogues) or a much better selection (Grand Cherokee Limited, Camaro SS/Mustang GT, Challenger Scat Pack, new Lincoln Navigators, BMW 430i, Mercedes CLA250etc.)
Honestly it can change so quickly depending on car availability from hour to hour as customers arrive and get their picks. I've seen selections change from horrid to awesome within the same day.

svtmike 07-26-2019 10:29 AM

I saw an A5 SB and a Q5 in the return lane yesterday.

My company rents at standard rate but we can pick any standard or exec car, but not Premier. Best I got was a Merc CLA250. There was a Challenger R/T I could have grabbed this past week but UConnect sucks so I went with the Golf wagon from the standard lot.

Usually the standard collection is Dodge Caravans in any color you want.

Aman 07-26-2019 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Costco (Post 16458878)
Was reading about an H1 on reddit - turns out they are awful vehicles. Randomly read about portal axles, then I found out about this:

https://www.autotrader.com/car-video...81474979881194

This is incredibly cool and I want one. Still was very impressed when I personally witnessed an H1 destroyed any obstacle that was thrown at it with ease. Except narrow trails :rofl:

Looks like a heck of a vehicle :what: Never heard of it before:

https://content.autotrader.com/conte.../megachris.jpg

https://content.autotrader.com/conte...egaChris/1.jpg

https://content.autotrader.com/conte...egaChris/7.jpg

Would love to try driving one. Briefly.

RPhilMan1 07-26-2019 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by SamDoe1 (Post 16458722)
^ Are you stuck on new models? If so, consider the WRX not STi and toss in a tune. I've read, though never experienced, that the Mustang PP isn't really worth it but I'd have to have the GT as well. If I may ask, why aren't you interested in VW? BMW M240i I think can be had in manual.

If you're ok with used, there are a lot more options.

Would like to go new for sure. As for VW, I've sat in the Golf R in the auto shows before and it just didn't excite me as much as other cars. But I would certainly like to do due diligence and see if I can get a test drive when it's closer to buying time. Only way to know for sure.

Originally Posted by Costco (Post 16458742)
Are there twisty, fun roads the drive on in your area? IMO you wouldn't really make use of all the STI's go-fast-around-corners bits if you're just slogging it around in the snow and in traffic. Plus the WRX will get better gas mileage on top of being more affordable.

I also would not hold out hope for the STI getting an FA-based powerplant. I definitely don't think it is a question of if gas goes back up to $4-4.50, but rather, when.

Not really any twisty roads here in the flat Prairie State. It would primarily serve as my fun DD. STi could be overkill, but the ST has served this duty extremely well. I do wish Subaru still offered the WRX in hatchback. I really preferred that to the sedan.

Plenty of autox and track day options here too.

SamDoe1 07-26-2019 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by RPhilMan1 (Post 16459156)
Would like to go new for sure. As for VW, I've sat in the Golf R in the auto shows before and it just didn't excite me as much as other cars. But I would certainly like to do due diligence and see if I can get a test drive when it's closer to buying time. Only way to know for sure.

Yeah, the interior of the Golf isn't going to inspire excitement by any means but it's just a nice, comfortable place to be for eating miles. I'd go drive the GTI and the R and see what you think. The drive is really fun and the best part is the duality between pocket rocket and smooth cruiser, there's a reason that they are both extremely highly rated in the hot hatch segment.

00TL-P3.2 07-26-2019 12:10 PM

Meh on the CLA, but a good bit better than a lot of eco-rentals.

Peasant class & oilfield beaters for me most of the time.

The Impreza hatchback I had in CA wasn't bad, definitely surprised me.

civicdrivr 07-26-2019 12:38 PM

:nod: If AWD isn't a requirement, I think the GTI would be a huge bang for buck choice, especially as the year goes on. Left over GTIs typically sell for a couple grand off sticker.

Same can be said of the R, if you want a manual. They don't sell very well. DSGs typically hover right around or above (if the dealer is shitty) sticker.

1killercls 07-26-2019 12:43 PM

Werd

TylerT 07-26-2019 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by RPhilMan1 (Post 16459156)

Not really any twisty roads here in the flat Prairie State. It would primarily serve as my fun DD. STi could be overkill, but the ST has served this duty extremely well. I do wish Subaru still offered the WRX in hatchback. I really preferred that to the sedan.

Plenty of autox and track day options here too.

Ding ding ding.

I'm not really a Subaru fan ... but it was kind of nail in the coffin after they got rid of the WRX hatchbacks.

svtmike 07-26-2019 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by SamDoe1 (Post 16459158)
Yeah, the interior of the Golf isn't going to inspire excitement by any means but it's just a nice, comfortable place to be for eating miles. I'd go drive the GTI and the R and see what you think. The drive is really fun and the best part is the duality between pocket rocket and smooth cruiser, there's a reason that they are both extremely highly rated in the hot hatch segment.

Yeah, you can’t get the full character of the car by any means until you drive it. The GTI is a terrific car.

charliemike 07-26-2019 05:21 PM

If the next generation GTI is the leap forward VW claims it will be, I would wait for that. My fear is it’s going to be too cheap and utilitarian inside to rationalize even $30K for it.

But that might be your only choice by then the way manual transmissions are being phased out in the States. It’s too bad but there you go.

I would rather get the best and most fun car I could for the money and just accept no more manual transmission.

nist7 07-26-2019 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by svtmike (Post 16459114)
I saw an A5 SB and a Q5 in the return lane yesterday.

My company rents at standard rate but we can pick any standard or exec car, but not Premier. Best I got was a Merc CLA250. There was a Challenger R/T I could have grabbed this past week but UConnect sucks so I went with the Golf wagon from the standard lot.

Usually the standard collection is Dodge Caravans in any color you want.

Oh right. There are occasionally Audis as well. I've seen also A5/6 as well as Q3/5/7 also on the aisle.

kurtatx 07-26-2019 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by nist7 (Post 16459038)
@kurtatx Check this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/nati...rs-yvr-19.html

I've been a National Executive Elite for over 2 years now. And depending on the time/day, you can have a horrid selection (sea of Nissan Altimas/Rogues) or a much better selection (Grand Cherokee Limited, Camaro SS/Mustang GT, Challenger Scat Pack, new Lincoln Navigators, BMW 430i, Mercedes CLA250etc.)
Honestly it can change so quickly depending on car availability from hour to hour as customers arrive and get their picks. I've seen selections change from horrid to awesome within the same day.

Wound up getting a Mustang GT. The rest of the selection was indeed horrid.

Midnight Mystery 07-27-2019 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by kurtatx (Post 16459448)
Wound up getting a Mustang GT. The rest of the selection was indeed horrid.

kurt driving a Mustang?

WTF?

SamDoe1 07-28-2019 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by charliemike (Post 16459353)
If the next generation GTI is the leap forward VW claims it will be, I would wait for that. My fear is it’s going to be too cheap and utilitarian inside to rationalize even $30K for it.

But that might be your only choice by then the way manual transmissions are being phased out in the States. It’s too bad but there you go.

I would rather get the best and most fun car I could for the money and just accept no more manual transmission.

IMO, the Golf interior is FAR less cheap and utilitarian than a Focus interior...or even a Civic interior...or really any other car in the class interior. It feels more quality with nicer materials and better build. That said, the R is still made in Germany while the normal and the GTI are made in Mexico so YMMV.

civicdrivr 07-29-2019 07:35 AM

There's really no difference between my Mexico built GTI and my German built R. If anything my R rattles more.

charliemike 07-29-2019 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by SamDoe1 (Post 16459851)
IMO, the Golf interior is FAR less cheap and utilitarian than a Focus interior...or even a Civic interior...or really any other car in the class interior. It feels more quality with nicer materials and better build. That said, the R is still made in Germany while the normal and the GTI are made in Mexico so YMMV.

I hear you but I have always felt my Focus ST interior was nicer to be in than any VW interior I’ve been in. I am hopeful it’s just me.

civicdrivr 07-29-2019 03:22 PM

Definitely just you :rofl:

The interior is one of the many reasons I didnt get a FoST over the GTI.

SamDoe1 07-29-2019 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by civicdrivr (Post 16460108)
Definitely just you :rofl:

The interior is one of the many reasons I didnt get a FoST over the GTI.

Same. Sat in the RS and was wondering where the other $20k of the $40k asking price went.

SamDoe1 07-30-2019 09:39 AM

The S2000 may be morphing into something substantially different this evening.

:ninja:

00TL-P3.2 07-30-2019 10:48 AM

4 wheels & a 'drop-top' with a 6MT? Not overly different, per se.

Aman 07-30-2019 10:53 AM

:boogie:

SamDoe1 07-30-2019 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2 (Post 16460397)
4 wheels & a 'drop-top' with a 6MT? Not overly different, per se.

The top is quite a lot harder to "drop", more like remove, it does have 4 wheels, but not a 6MT.

00TL-P3.2 07-30-2019 11:38 AM

:ponder: Waiting for pics, not a stretch to guess since you've mentioned it a few times.

RWD-ish, 'convertible', close enough.

Costco 07-30-2019 11:38 AM

NA1 NSX?

I haven't seen him mention it, so not sure.

00TL-P3.2 07-30-2019 11:39 AM

:boogie: Nope, few more seats.

SamDoe1 07-30-2019 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Costco (Post 16460421)
NA1 NSX?

I haven't seen him mention it, so not sure.

Kind of in that it has a targa top and a V6.

Aman 07-30-2019 12:35 PM

It's a 2-door like an NSX. If you feel like it.

RPhilMan1 07-30-2019 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by charliemike (Post 16459993)
I hear you but I have always felt my Focus ST interior was nicer to be in than any VW interior I’ve been in. I am hopeful it’s just me.

Still love the ST3 interior to this day. Works very well for a DD.

charliemike 07-30-2019 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by RPhilMan1 (Post 16460461)
Still love the ST3 interior to this day. Works very well for a DD.

I’m glad I’m not alone. I thought the ST3 with the full leather Recaro seats was a great interior. Yes it’s grown old in the tooth but that’s to be expected for a six year old design. It’s just too bad we aren’t getting the new one.

svtmike 07-30-2019 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by SamDoe1 (Post 16460399)
The top is quite a lot harder to "drop", more like remove, it does have 4 wheels, but not a 6MT.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...afa97316a.jpeg

SamDoe1 07-31-2019 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by svtmike (Post 16460684)

:rofl:

Nope, but good answer lol.