AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   Car Talk (https://acurazine.com/forums/car-talk-5/)
-   -   General Car Talk Discussion Thread (https://acurazine.com/forums/car-talk-5/general-car-talk-discussion-thread-832939/)

SamDoe1 07-19-2019 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2 (Post 16456171)
:shrug:
I think the W126 & W140 still look good.
The E39 & E38 still looks great today as well.

Don't forget the E46.

Doom878 07-19-2019 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by oonowindoo (Post 16456203)
well over here someone's dream car is the 7th gen accord... Haven't heard anyone's dream car is a 03 750.... So Accord 1, BMW 0 :rofl:

Reveal this heretic!!! Though I wouldn't mind a 9th gen. Even 8th gen Sport editions are nice

Costco 07-19-2019 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by charliemike (Post 16456139)
Tapatalk doesn’t show red text ��

I did not think it was necessary :rofl: (there was no red text)

ttribe 07-19-2019 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Doom878 (Post 16456232)
Reveal this heretic!!! Though I wouldn't mind a 9th gen. Even 8th gen Sport editions are nice

This was the thread (but I changed the title of the thread...): https://acurazine.com/forums/car-tal...things-979786/

Yumcha 07-19-2019 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by ttribe (Post 16456255)
This was the thread (but I changed the title of the thread...): https://acurazine.com/forums/car-tal...things-979786/

You should merge it too. :O

:teef:

Yumcha 07-19-2019 01:05 PM

A WWYD (Whut wood Yumcha doo) moment. :O

ttribe 07-19-2019 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Yumcha (Post 16456260)

Originally Posted by Yumcha (Post 16456261)
A WWYD (Whut wood Yumcha doo) moment. :O

Can I merge with your thread and you can fight about debadging the rings from your car?

Doom878 07-19-2019 01:48 PM

Yeah I saw the thread....:turd:

Yumcha 07-19-2019 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by ttribe (Post 16456272)
Can I merge with your thread and you can fight about debadging the rings from your car?

:ponder:

Well, both cars are Asian... :ponder:

oonowindoo 07-19-2019 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by ttribe (Post 16456272)

Merge his thread with Saintor and change the title to Saintor got it first!!

:agree:

justnspace 07-19-2019 03:51 PM

y'all crazy, the newer bmw's look so much better than of yesteryear.

if it aint something special, the newer models trump the older models in looks

Yumcha 07-19-2019 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by oonowindoo (Post 16456344)
Merge his thread with Saintor and change the title to Saintor got it first!!

:agree:

How about I merge your face with my fist? :bored:

ttribe 07-19-2019 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Yumcha (Post 16456364)

Why do you want to hurt your fist like that?

srika 07-19-2019 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by TylerT (Post 16455616)
At the end of the day ... you're still be driving an Accord :rofl:

They're dreary econoboxes for a reason ... that's why I drive a 220k mile Honda Fit 80+ miles a day :teef:

Heyyyyyyy. Can’t we all just. Get along????

Originally Posted by justnspace (Post 16456097)
unless they are super rare models, the german cars dont really age well in terms of looks.

They age plenty well!!!! Actually I think bmw aside from certain ones age very well compared to MB

Originally Posted by Yumcha (Post 16456260)

:nervous:

Originally Posted by Yumcha (Post 16456364)

:scared:

oonowindoo 07-19-2019 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by ttribe (Post 16456365)

I was just thinking about the same thing....

justnspace 07-19-2019 04:52 PM

newer cars have better lines and sharper angles.
of course special older models are special, no denying the E36 M3.....or the special AMG models....

but the newer MB and newer BMW's look better, look more aggressive....have better lines...
this is going off of what you all were saying, E36 or 7th/8th gen accord...Most of us would pick the accord....because it's better lookin' and not as troublesome.

SamDoe1 07-20-2019 09:43 AM

Out of curiousity, anyone on this forum in the Akron, OH area?

civicdrivr 07-20-2019 11:37 AM

@neuronbob you're in Cleveland, right?

kurtatx 07-20-2019 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by civicdrivr (Post 16456677)
@neuronbob you're in Cleveland, right?

I'm not saying @neuronbob is LeBron James, but you never see neuron bob and LeBron James in the same building

Yumcha 07-20-2019 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by ttribe (Post 16456365)

Don't you have an M5 to go like, drive? :bored:

Yumcha 07-20-2019 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by oonowindoo (Post 16456381)
I was just thinking about the same thing....

Fine. You can merge with my foot. And I am wearing a shoe.

So, it won't hurt. :O

Yumcha 07-20-2019 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by kurtatx (Post 16456706)
I'm not saying @neuronbob is LeBron James, but you never see neuron bob and LeBron James in the same building

So...neuronbron? :ponder:

ttribe 07-20-2019 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Yumcha (Post 16456785)
Don't you have an M5 to go like, drive? :bored:

:fluffy:

kurtatx 07-20-2019 10:26 PM

Super jealous.

Now I'm going to go ABT tune my S4...

...if only
:preach:

Yumcha 07-20-2019 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by kurtatx (Post 16456810)
Super jealous.

Now I'm going to go ABT tune my S4...

...if only
:preach:

That's why I Hyundai-tuned mine. :O

kurtatx 07-20-2019 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Yumcha (Post 16456824)
That's why I Hyundai-tuned mine. :O

The ole Hyundai Sonata tune

Yumcha 07-20-2019 11:33 PM

Optima. :O

kurtatx 07-20-2019 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by Yumcha (Post 16456826)
Optima. :O

But that’s-

never mind

Aman 07-21-2019 12:12 AM

:rofl:

00TL-P3.2 07-25-2019 08:12 AM

Anyone want to move to Dubai?

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/h...ned-supercars/

If you’re a fan of flashy cars who’s looking for a change of scenery, then how about becoming a supercar scout in Dubai?

Luxury goods website HushHush is looking for someone to head to the United Arab Emirates (UAE) to find and acquire abandoned supercars that it can then sell on its website. The UAE is home to a large number of abandoned high-performance cars, with many apparently discarded by high-rolling expats — or wannabe high-rollers — fleeing the country to escape harsh penalties for failed loan repayments.

The successful candidate will be provided with accommodation in Dubai, together with a living allowance and travel expenses. They’ll also receive annual pay to the tune of 30,000 British pounds (about $38,000) and a commission for each vehicle acquired and eventually sold, whether it’s a Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, or any other motor that most folks will never be able to afford.

“We are looking for a Supercar Scout to join our team to seek out and acquire abandoned supercars in the UAE for resale on our site,” the job listing reads.

No prior experience is needed, though applicants should be over 21 and have a full driver’s license.

“The right candidate will need to have a great working knowledge of supercars, their rarity and approximate market value, as well as the ability to track down owners or finance companies to negotiate acquisitions for us.” A tolerance for very hot weather will also come in handy.

Whoever bags the position will also be tasked with making arrangements for shipping the cars to HushHush’s storage locations.

“We’re hopeful that we will find someone with a passion for cars and the initiative to track down the finance companies and negotiate before cars are impounded by the authorities,” HushHush founder Aaron Harpin told The Mirror, adding, “This is a great opportunity and [we’re] excited to see the results.”

Motoring site Drivetribe recently took a look at the issue of discarded supercars in Dubai and the other UAE cities. It found that “luxury cars including Ferraris, Koenigseggs, and pricey BMWs have all been abandoned as their owners flee bankruptcy brought on by financial crises.” It explained that under local laws, non-payment of debt is a criminal offense, and as the UAE has no bankruptcy laws, there’s no protection for anyone who fails to meet their car repayments, or pay off other debts. “As a result, many expats are forced to abandon their lives to avoid jail time, often with their car keys still in the ignition,” the report said.

Many of the abandoned supercars end up at auction, so whoever is selected by HushHush to seek out the vehicles will have to find them before they’re impounded and sold off. Still, there are reportedly thousands of the cars gathering dust across the UAE, so whoever lands the job should have a good chance of making some interesting finds.

Doom878 07-25-2019 10:43 AM

So they're basically throwing away scraps worth several thousand dollars, and nobody is out there claiming it?

SamDoe1 07-25-2019 11:00 AM

"Tolerance for hot weather" :rofl:

Also, that's not a lot of cash for doing this job...

charliemike 07-25-2019 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by SamDoe1 (Post 16458634)
"Tolerance for hot weather" :rofl:

Also, that's not a lot of cash for doing this job...

$38K for no experience aka not having a clue wtf you’re doing? In that city? Hell no.

RPhilMan1 07-25-2019 12:22 PM

So I went on cars.com for fun to see what's out there in the new car world and I have to say it's pretty depressing. I know I want another manual transmission for my next car and my search didn't last long. No more Focus RS or ST. No more S4 manual. STi has yet to have an engine refresh. Not really interested in VW. Last generation of M3 manual not available yet. Not quite sure on Civic Type R but there are a handful of new ones still for sale at the $36,620 MSRP. I'm pretty sure I'd like something other than FWD for my next car. I've always liked the Mustang and considered one before the ST, and now would be the best shot to have one before it becomes too impractical. But I'd have to have the 5.0 and probably performance pack. There's a nice GT Premium with Performance Pack in the Magnetic color I like for sale under MSRP near me. But I'd have to get a winter tire and wheel set and live with RWD in the winter here, and having no backseat or cargo space really. Gas hasn't been too bad but if premium starts getting above $4 to $4.50 again that would hurt.

Am I missing anything? Not looking or needing to buy any time soon but as the ST turns 7 years old in December I'd like to start researching for possibly something new within the next year or two. I know the manual transmissions are dying but wow I can't believe there really isn't anything out there right now that I would immediately throw my money at.

Doom878 07-25-2019 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by charliemike (Post 16458687)
$38K for no experience aka not having a clue wtf you’re doing? In that city? Hell no.

It's like min wage and I doubt commission checks are going to be substantial. You're not a broker on homes. You might as well clean bathrooms in air conditioned 5 star hotels.

00TL-P3.2 07-25-2019 01:03 PM

It's definitely getting tougher & tougher.
Given you have a sporty car, I'd imagine you'd want similar or better performance, so that makes it tough too.

With 4 doors, it seems you're really limited on choice. Subaru, Honda, BMW (maybe).
2 doors opens options, with the Mustang/Camaro, C7 Vette.

Otherwise, you're looking at DCT cars & the options are much more plentiful.

SamDoe1 07-25-2019 01:13 PM

^ Are you stuck on new models? If so, consider the WRX not STi and toss in a tune. I've read, though never experienced, that the Mustang PP isn't really worth it but I'd have to have the GT as well. If I may ask, why aren't you interested in VW? BMW M240i I think can be had in manual.

If you're ok with used, there are a lot more options.

oonowindoo 07-25-2019 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by RPhilMan1 (Post 16458690)
So I went on cars.com for fun to see what's out there in the new car world and I have to say it's pretty depressing. I know I want another manual transmission for my next car and my search didn't last long. No more Focus RS or ST. No more S4 manual. STi has yet to have an engine refresh. Not really interested in VW. Last generation of M3 manual not available yet. Not quite sure on Civic Type R but there are a handful of new ones still for sale at the $36,620 MSRP. I'm pretty sure I'd like something other than FWD for my next car. I've always liked the Mustang and considered one before the ST, and now would be the best shot to have one before it becomes too impractical. But I'd have to have the 5.0 and probably performance pack. There's a nice GT Premium with Performance Pack in the Magnetic color I like for sale under MSRP near me. But I'd have to get a winter tire and wheel set and live with RWD in the winter here, and having no backseat or cargo space really. Gas hasn't been too bad but if premium starts getting above $4 to $4.50 again that would hurt.

Am I missing anything? Not looking or needing to buy any time soon but as the ST turns 7 years old in December I'd like to start researching for possibly something new within the next year or two. I know the manual transmissions are dying but wow I can't believe there really isn't anything out there right now that I would immediately throw my money at.

M3/M4 440i still got manual...

M3/M4 in 6mt is pretty brutal... i went sideways going straight in 2nd.. :rofl: good times..

Or is there always WRX.... a few hundred will bring you in the same league as STI....

Or is there is 2 series/M2... but you have to know the backseats are useless.

Edit... basically Sam and I pretty much said the same thing

Costco 07-25-2019 01:26 PM

Wrx.

Costco 07-25-2019 01:29 PM

Are there twisty, fun roads the drive on in your area? IMO you wouldn't really make use of all the STI's go-fast-around-corners bits if you're just slogging it around in the snow and in traffic. Plus the WRX will get better gas mileage on top of being more affordable.

I also would not hold out hope for the STI getting an FA-based powerplant. I definitely don't think it is a question of if gas goes back up to $4-4.50, but rather, when.