Gas Prices rising any thoughts of a new bike?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 09:53 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Nope, no bike for me. Too dangerous. A friend of mine died on one right after high school graduation, and I hear too many horror stories.

Just read this one this morning - the deceased was on a bike:

1 dead in five vehicle crash on I-287

By SUSAN LOYER
STAFF WRITER

A 29-year-old New Brunswick resident was killed and six others were injured in a five-vehicle chain-reaction accident on Interstate 287 last night, according to the state police.

While traveling northbound on the highway, near milepost 5.2, a vehicle, driven by
Manuel E. Brador, 41, of Middlesex, became disabled in the left lane and was struck by a vehicle driven by Karin A. Birgerson, 18, of Martinsville, officials said.

Birgerson swerved in an attempt to avoid the disabled vehicle but the car she was
driving was struck in the rear by a 2005 Ford Focus, driven by John R. Meyer, 69, of
Budd Lake.

In an attempt to avoid the vehicles, Ruben Reston, 29, of New Brunswick, who was
driving a 2005 Honda motorcycle, steered to the right, causing the motorcycle to
overturn, ejecting Resto and a passenger, Nicky Perez, 29, of Edison, from the bike,
officials said.

A second motorcycle, a 2007 Suzuki driven by Pablo E. Hurtado, 35, of New Brunswick, also tried to avoid the accident by steering to the right, causing that motorcycle to overturn, ejecting Hurtado and passenger, Taryn N. Pittfield, 23, of Dayton.

Reston was transported by North Star, the New Jersey State Police helicopter, to
Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital in New Brunswick, where he was pronounced dead at 3:26 a.m. Wednesday, officials said.

Three of the injured were transported to Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital. Meyer suffered a broken leg. A passenger in his car, Kathleen A. Meyer, 59, of Budd Lake, suffered a fractured wrist, and Hurtado suffered a broken shoulder.

Three others were transported to St. Peter's University Hospital in New Brunswick. Pittfield suffered abrasions, Perez complained of pain and Birgerson suffered from abdominal pain.

Members of the South Plainfield, North Stelton and Somerset Medical Center first aid squads responded to the scene.

The accident is under investigation, officials said.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:11 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last week a cop on a bike died after someone pulled out in front of him.

I love bikes.

However, people are stupid. I would limit the riding to weekends when people arent in their "routine."
Old 05-07-2008, 10:17 AM
I now drive an accord....

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ive said it in every bike thread and ill say it again. All bike newbs should stay away from sportbikes Your just asking to kill yourself if you are learning to ride on a bike that can stand up on either wheel without even trying.

I have been riding bikes for 4 years now and I always wanted a sportbike until I rode one for 30 min. I got back and my wrists and neck were throbbing Most will agree that the bikes are not the most comfortable thing to ride.

Now my bike recommendations. Unless you have plenty of extra cash you are looking to throw around get something older. My 82 yamaha maxim 750 was a whopping $800 and it runs great and gets 40-50mpg. Oh and the insurance is a killer at $75 a year.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:46 AM
99 TL, 06 E350

Received 164 Likes on 110 Posts
Originally Posted by spdy0001
Ive said it in every bike thread and ill say it again. All bike newbs should stay away from sportbikes Your just asking to kill yourself if you are learning to ride on a bike that can stand up on either wheel without even trying.
It's that people new to bikes, want the 600CC + bikes right away without wanting to actually learning to ride. There's this stigma (that seems to be in the USA) that you must have a 600CC+ bike or your are considered a pansy. In the UK I believe they have a teir system that you must start small and you must where all you gear. I don't really know what requirements there is to progress upto a larger bike. I am still on my ZZR250 and still have lots to learn. Been riding for 3 years now and I have the full license. Been very smart about it as well and use everything I was taught in the motorcycle school. I can't say that I'll never get into trouble. But my chances are better then most who started on a 600CC plus bike.