Funny thing happened at the Subaru dealer

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2001, 08:06 PM
foolio at heart

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Funny thing happened at the Subaru dealer

So I went to the subaru dealer to test drive a wrx station wagon. As we are going for the test drive the salesman asks me what other cars I'm looking at, I proceed to tell him that I'm interested in the IS300 sport wagon, a S4 wagon and the subbie wagon. He then asks what I'm currently driving. I tell him about the Type-S. His eyes instantly bulge out and he yells "A type-S? wow I wish I could get one of those." So we go for the test drive the car actually pulls pretty well, I'm seriously considering purchasing one. So here comes the funny part. We get back to the dealership and at least 5 guys are gathered around the car one guy is circling around the car, one is squatting looking at the wheels, one is peering through windows, and another is squatting down in the back looking at the exhaust. At this point I'm chuckling. The salesman test driving me in the wrx excitedly says "that is your car?" I tell him yes and he asks me if I can take him for a quick test drive. Hahah, it was so hilarious. The other salesmen approach me about the wheels and how much they cost and such. You would think they never saw a done up CL type S before. It was a funny experience, kinda embarrassing though. Now for the next challenge, gotta get that wrx and do that baby up.
Old 08-24-2001, 08:08 PM
Banned

Big aftermarket...just everything is in Australia....oh well....STi...here comes blkmjxx with his checkbook.
Old 08-24-2001, 08:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
heh, i test drove an IS300 a few months back and received the opposite reaction from the saleslime. He looked down his nose at my car...of course he probably drives a '76 beetle
Old 08-25-2001, 12:51 AM
Banned

I've got you beat!

I had to take my uncle to his Ford/Merc dealership. His Explorer was having some trouble or something. Anywat, we drive up there, and He goes in to check if his car is ready. We were in the neighborhood, so what the heck. I'm sitting there in the Acura, right in front of the Showroom. This guy comes out. He had a beer gut bigger than my whole body. He looks out those huge windows right at me with his hands on his hips with a look in his eyes that could bring down a plane. He shakes his head side to side. Keeps staring me down. My uncle comes back, gets in and tells me it isn't ready. We leave and I think nothing of it.
I get a call a few days later... my uncle needs a ride back to the dealer. No biggie. I drive back, and park in the same spot. A salesman walks up to me and asks if its my car. "Why Yes!" He says his manager (beer guy guy) asked him to ask me to park the car in the back. "Well I'm just waiting for my uncle to get his Explorer." Then he says I created quite a stir the other day. "Well what the heck?" To make the story shorter, he is one of those die hard "real Americans buy American cars" type of idiots.
Next time I'll drive up and park in the explorer section in my dad's Mercedes with a trunkload of Mercedes and Acura pamphlets.

Also, while I was dropping my friend off at Enterprise, somebody asked if they could rent "that big red Acura."
Old 08-25-2001, 02:24 AM
Advanced

I had a weird experience at the Honda dealership. I went in to get touch up paint for my sister's Accord while she was in town (my former car). on my way out, there were 3 "well maintained" receptionist basically looking in and around my car to see what "it was made of" or something. anyhow, when they realized it was me who owned it, one of them asks me why the hell I was doing at the Honda dealership...I couldn't resist...I told her I was hoping to pick up a 2002 silver s2000, but since they didn't have one, I was going to the other dealership. Then one of the other chicks told me not to trade in my car because Honda screws you on trade in. I told her I didn't plan to. At this point the 20 questions started: "what do you do?" where do you work?, where are you from? blah blah blah "are you married? , they didn’t ask what i want to hear ("you want to take on all three of us now" :p ) oh well next time...I felt like such a heel afterwards. but I will probably never see them again...unless they are still there when I give up hope/my search for a decent reasonably priced supra TT. then choice # 2 is definitely an s2k.

[ 08-25-2001: Message edited by: Gs400TRD ]
Old 08-25-2001, 02:18 PM
10th Gear

subaru's not an australian company.. it's japanese.. people assume it's australian cuz Crocodile Dundee was in a couple commercials for the scooby outback..
Old 08-25-2001, 02:28 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by Mike:
<STRONG>heh, i test drove an IS300 a few months back and received the opposite reaction from the saleslime. He looked down his nose at my car...of course he probably drives a '76 beetle </STRONG>
Actually, there is a Lexus salesperson (Smithtown, NY)....who has been at the dealer for 6 years or so- he makes $150k/year (Know people who are friends with him), no '76 Beetle's for him .
Old 08-25-2001, 02:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
He makes $150k b/c he's a darn good salesman. The salesman I talked to didn't have great customer service skills and probably didn't make $150k/yr.
Old 08-25-2001, 07:24 PM
Subie Dubie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Scorpius:
<STRONG>I've got you beat!

I had to take my uncle to his Ford/Merc dealership. His Explorer was having some trouble or something. Anywat, we drive up there, and He goes in to check if his car is ready. We were in the neighborhood, so what the heck. I'm sitting there in the Acura, right in front of the Showroom. This guy comes out. He had a beer gut bigger than my whole body. He looks out those huge windows right at me with his hands on his hips with a look in his eyes that could bring down a plane. He shakes his head side to side. Keeps staring me down. My uncle comes back, gets in and tells me it isn't ready. We leave and I think nothing of it.
I get a call a few days later... my uncle needs a ride back to the dealer. No biggie. I drive back, and park in the same spot. A salesman walks up to me and asks if its my car. "Why Yes!" He says his manager (beer guy guy) asked him to ask me to park the car in the back. "Well I'm just waiting for my uncle to get his Explorer." Then he says I created quite a stir the other day. "Well what the heck?" To make the story shorter, he is one of those die hard "real Americans buy American cars" type of idiots.
Next time I'll drive up and park in the explorer section in my dad's Mercedes with a trunkload of Mercedes and Acura pamphlets.

Also, while I was dropping my friend off at Enterprise, somebody asked if they could rent "that big red Acura." </STRONG>
Hey Scorpius, great story ! My guess is the gut came from Budweiser and not Sapporro !
Old 08-25-2001, 09:10 PM
Scooby Guru

Well, if you do end up getting the Rex wagon, be sure to visit us at the iClub.
Old 08-25-2001, 09:23 PM
foolio at heart

Originally posted by RidinLow:
<STRONG>Well, if you do end up getting the Rex wagon, be sure to visit us at the iClub. </STRONG>
I've already paid you guys many visits, hehehe. Right now there is a 90% chance i'm gonna get the scoobie.
Old 08-25-2001, 09:33 PM
aka davo-tsx

Just curious, why a wagon?
Old 08-25-2001, 09:36 PM
foolio at heart

I personally like the way sportwagons look. Plus I can put my bikes on the rack.
Old 08-25-2001, 09:39 PM
hater

Originally posted by timotheezz:
<STRONG>subaru's not an australian company.. it's japanese.. people assume it's australian cuz Crocodile Dundee was in a couple commercials for the scooby outback..</STRONG>
That's not the point moonmaster was trying to make. The fact of the matter is that you cannot directly import parts from Japan, but you can get them from Down Under, a MAJOR hotbed of STI tuning activity...

[ 08-25-2001: Message edited by: droideka ]
Old 08-25-2001, 10:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by blxmjx:
<STRONG>I personally like the way sportwagons look. Plus I can put my bikes on the rack. </STRONG>
You have too many cars already...hook that wagon up.

GS400TRD what is your price range...i'm sure I can help you.

Ridinlow how much boost does the wrx start with? How much boost do you daily drive. Whats the highest you can boost safely?
Old 08-25-2001, 11:49 PM
Scooby Guru

The WRX comes stock with a little under 14 psi, but it's limited to about 10 in first gear and gets bled off towards redline.

However, my boost controller gets rid of that and lets me run whatever boost I want. Not bad for $10 in parts from Home Depot.

I run about 15psi in daily driving and it still runs rich... noticeably richer than stock, which is a welcome safety function of the ECU. I have to lean it out with my fuel computer for more power and better mileage, but that has to wait until I get my EGT probe welded into the headers.

The stock ECU stops the fun at 17-18 psi, but there are ways of getting around that. But the small stock turbo is way out of its efficiency range when forced to spin over 15 psi anyway.

I got the wagon so I can carry my racing tires to and from the track (they all fit behind the rear seat!), pets and cargo can go in the back, my bikes easily bolt to the stock roof rails, and it's fun smoking "sports cars" in a station wagon.

[ 08-25-2001: Message edited by: RidinLow ]
Old 08-26-2001, 01:44 AM
Advanced

Originally posted by KCPreki11:
<STRONG>

GS400TRD what is your price range...i'm sure I can help you.
</STRONG>
depends on the car. I dont WANT a 96 or any AUTO crap TT. I would like to shoot in the low-mid 20k range for a 94-95TT with decent mileage...if not, I'll settle for the s2000 sometime next year. (have a 2002 tacoma double cab on the way right now)
I had a 97 basically bought, but passed on it...next week that fa* sh*t movie the Fast and furious came out and the supra prices went through the roof shit I have seen 97 TT goes for 46-47 on ebay...shit they were only 42 out the door in 98!
Old 08-26-2001, 06:28 AM
Racer

Originally posted by Gs400TRD:
<STRONG>

depends on the car. I dont WANT a 96 or any AUTO crap TT. I would like to shoot in the low-mid 20k range for a 94-95TT with decent mileage...if not, I'll settle for the s2000 sometime next year. (have a 2002 tacoma double cab on the way right now)
I had a 97 basically bought, but passed on it...next week that fa* sh*t movie the Fast and furious came out and the supra prices went through the roof shit I have seen 97 TT goes for 46-47 on ebay...shit they were only 42 out the door in 98!</STRONG>
Hey GS400, I just went to your car page, I think I saw you somewhere near my house.... and i remember the little yellow kids house on your neighbor's backyard in one of your pics....