Funny question by the valet...

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 09:18 PM
Rooting for Acura

Received 1,765 Likes on 804 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
No thanks on the Equus. I like the Genesis sedan better, or the Big Lex.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:27 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by nova_G
Baseless because you don't see it? In your opinion. In my opinion and others as well it's blatant http://jalopnik.com/5154867/2010-hyu...llac+like-size not to mention multiple co-workers
Baseless because there isn't much similarity and therefore I don't see it.

I agree Lexus has one of the more dull interiors in its class but what's really ironic is that instead of Lexus following the design trend, Hyundai is blatantly following automakers designs and copying them.
Again, where is the blatant copying?

"Fluidic Sculpture" = A sophisticated word for copying designs from automakers and meshing them together
Show me a car that looks like the new Sonata or the Tucson. Then you can claim that Fluidic Sculpture means imitating.
Old 01-16-2010, 12:19 AM
eat, sleep, NGC

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
Baseless because there isn't much similarity and therefore I don't see it.
Agree to disagree?

Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
Show me a car that looks like the new Sonata or the Tucson. Then you can claim that Fluidic Sculpture means imitating.
Honestly, I haven't seen those two cars until now. As far as exterior goes, credit goes to Hyundai. The exterior designs of both of those cars are unique. I can honestly say the exterior of those two cars represent Hyundai's design theme of "Fluidic Sculpture" well. Although the interior of the Sonata looks like a mesh of Volvo/Infiniti/Acura/Lexus (my opinion) kudos to them. If Hyundai will be producing cars like those two, then I retract my statement about Hyundai copying other manufacturers.

But, as far as the Genesis Coupe/Sedan and the Equus goes, I still think those three cars have too much styling cues from various automakers. Maybe when they're due for a redesign and Hyundai implements more of their "Fluidic Sculpture" will I agree with you. For now, the designs of those three cars will be nothing more than imitators of current successful selling cars in my book. Although that's not to say they are great cars for their money.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:35 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I dont see the Lexus resemblance either
Old 01-16-2010, 03:47 AM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
Originally Posted by nova_G
Agree to disagree?

Honestly, I haven't seen those two cars until now. As far as exterior goes, credit goes to Hyundai. The exterior designs of both of those cars are unique. I can honestly say the exterior of those two cars represent Hyundai's design theme of "Fluidic Sculpture" well. Although the interior of the Sonata looks like a mesh of Volvo/Infiniti/Acura/Lexus (my opinion) kudos to them. If Hyundai will be producing cars like those two, then I retract my statement about Hyundai copying other manufacturers.

But, as far as the Genesis Coupe/Sedan and the Equus goes, I still think those three cars have too much styling cues from various automakers. Maybe when they're due for a redesign and Hyundai implements more of their "Fluidic Sculpture" will I agree with you. For now, the designs of those three cars will be nothing more than imitators of current successful selling cars in my book. Although that's not to say they are great cars for their money.
Hey, I don't see the Lexus resemblance either.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:11 AM
Welcome to Olliewood

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts
I think the LS copying is pretty blatant, but regardless..i still like it and its well executed- however in that 60k range idk if that's the car i would choose, it looks a little "mature"?
Old 01-16-2010, 02:07 PM
is out, so the

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Goosew

Wow, could we copy the 09 Nissan Maxima any more?

Personally, I like the Genesis sedan better. This Equus seems a little slapped together. Hood ornament, weird vertible bar in grille, the grille doesn't match other Hyundai's, Bently-esque wheels, Lexus LS exhaust tips, headlamps are too big, etc.

Equus gives me the same impression Hyundais did 5 years ago. Alot of odd elements mixed together in a cheap looking package. Interior is pretty nice though... If they aren't using real wood, need to tone down the big pieces on the dash...

I do think Hyundai is on to something here. All the right things are there, they just don't flow together yet. Fluidic Sculpture is a nice design theme. 2011 Sonata looks especially nice, but I don't see any family resemblence between it and the Equus/Genesis sedan.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:47 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Most cars look like other cars on the road anyway...I don't think you can do much differently from others. Yes, Hyundai does tend to resemble other cars...but whatever. I think this is a good car.

Would I buy it...? No. But good job nonetheless.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:32 PM
Banned

Received 960 Likes on 593 Posts
Even if it was a 100% ripoff, at a lower price and a better warranty...who cares?
Old 01-17-2010, 05:43 PM
Evil Mazda Driver

Received 174 Likes on 89 Posts
Old 01-18-2010, 08:35 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Other then the exhaust outlets, I do not see any similarity between this car and the Lexus.

I gotta say... I like where Hyundai is going. Love the Genesis coupe and sedan and this one looks nice too. Not sure I'd drop $60k on a Hyundai just yet... but they are definitely moving up in the market...
Old 01-18-2010, 11:36 AM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
I agree, it appears that only the exhaust outlets are similar...and even then more manufacturers are approaching the design in that fashion. I'm still amazed at the number of people who believe that Hyundai's sole mission is to copy other cars and therefore are crap.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:17 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
^ Those are the people who probably think Hyundai is still the cheapst shit in the industry. People need to stop denying the facts.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:51 PM
Evil Mazda Driver

Received 174 Likes on 89 Posts
The only people who bag on Hyundai are the ones who haven't even been in one since 1988 and just assume things are the same because they are too thick to look into it any further.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:14 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
I got a chance to take it out yesterday for a trip then kept it overnight.

Man, I had tons of people ask me what kind of a car it was. I was in a parking lot and I had about half a dozen people wanting to check it out and said it was an awesome ride. I noticed several cars tailing me on the interstate looking at the car. It was pretty cool.

The 4.6L V8 engine was a gem. It was silky smooth and had no problem picking up speed. The suspension automatically adjusts damping and height at highway speeds. It will lower itself and firm up the damping for better stability. There is a Sport button that you can push to firm it up even more. Abrupt lane changes were met with very firm and direct steering feel and a planted chassis. The brakes were very good, too.

The brakes are automatically applied by the radar-guided cruise control. You can even change the distance with a button.

19-inch wheels are standard, but it never felt harsh. The suspension soaks up the potholes very well and firms up in the corners for good control and feedback.

The Lane Departure Warning System is pretty sweet. It will differentiate between white lines and yellow lines (or between dotted and solid lines) and give a more severe warning if I crossed the latter. First an audible warning, followed by a series of gentle tugs on the seatbelt.

Front center console has an interface similar to that of the Genesis and you can control pretty much everything from there. Seats have 3-settings for heating and cooling each. All four windows have express up and down and the rear windshield has a power-operated sunshade found in the Genesis and the Azera.

The right rear seat, similar to the Executive Seating of the LS460, reclines and even has a leg rest that is controlled by a button. You can control all audio, HVAC and even the front right seat from the rear center console so you can push it and tilt it forward for more room. The rear windows have a built-in sunshade that is electronically controlled. Push down once on the window button and the shade goes down. Push it again and the window goes down. Ditto for the up operation.

It also has forward and backward cameras for parking. It's a pretty big car, so it needs them.

All in all, I love this car. It's just loaded with goodies and everything works so well and smooth that it practically drives itself. Getting back into my TL-S felt like I was in a Civic.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:31 AM
Sanest Florida Man

Received 10,492 Likes on 6,359 Posts
Originally Posted by MiataNut
Ha! I used to have that exact car, a blue Sonata. Had a Mitsubishi 3.0L V6 and was a very decent car. For some reason the engine didn't smoke like the ones they put in the Chrysler vans back then
OH GOD! That was my first car. My parents bought one in 1988, those things smoked all the time and you couldn't fix it permanently. If you ever see one around town waiting at a light just watch as soon as the light turns green there'll be a little cloud of smoke coming out the back of it. I never even bothered to change the oil on that thing, what the point. I went through a quart every week. Good times, good times......
Old 01-24-2010, 03:16 AM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
I don't get why people argue over styling. You can only design a box on four wheels so many times before you run out of original material.

I'm not into luxo-barges, having a preference for light' n tight - but if I were in the market for one, this would merit consideration. Saw a ton of them in Gangnam recently, so the novelty has worn off for me, but I think it will probably sell well here. Hyundai and Ford are on a roll.

The design direction I'm most disappointed with currently is Honda and BMW.
Old 01-24-2010, 04:42 AM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Received 997 Likes on 535 Posts
Originally Posted by Fibonacci
I don't get why people argue over styling. You can only design a box on four wheels so many times before you run out of original material.

But props to Hyundai for doing something this daring at that price point. Maybe about 5-8K less and they would have a ton of business.

But for me, a used S8 would be my ticket......Extended warranty, though.